carat
color
clarity

The New Diamond...Thoughts?

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi guys!

So I returned my other stone because it was 2 grades lower in color and 2 grades lower in clarity than the cert. It was a 1.44ct EGL G VS2, No fluorescence, good polish and good symmetry. HCA score was 5.8...yikes! We paid a total of $8900 ($7200 cash + $1700 for my original stone) which included tax, labor to set stone, and the cost of my first diamond. If you want to see what the EGL diamond looked like, you can go to my last post. Although it was beautiful, we definitely overpaid and didn’t get what we paid for!

I’ve become a lot more educated on diamonds (thanks to you all and the Internet) and have figured out what I like and what I can afford within those specs. I am very picky on inclusions/flaws if can see them with the naked eye. However, when it comes to color I think J is the lowest I’ll go on color. I can’t really tell the difference when the diamond is face up. So I rather give more money to the size of the diamond than the color.

We haven’t bought anything yet. But the front runner for our price range and the size I want is...

J
VS2
EX cut
EX polish
EX symmetry
No fluorescence

GIA- 2205739687

HCA score of 2.3

Price is $7600 out the door with tax and labor of setting the stone. I also get to keep my original diamond!

Please give me your honest opinions!

I don’t have photos of it just yet. Maybe in the next couple of days. But I would like your advice based off the information above.

Thanks!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys!

So I returned my other stone because it was 2 grades lower in color and 2 grades lower in clarity than the cert. It was a 1.44ct EGL G VS2, No fluorescence, good polish and good symmetry. HCA score was 5.8...yikes! We paid a total of $8900 ($7200 cash + $1700 for my original stone) which included tax, labor to set stone, and the cost of my first diamond. If you want to see what the EGL diamond looked like, you can go to my last post. Although it was beautiful, we definitely overpaid and didn’t get what we paid for!

I’ve become a lot more educated on diamonds (thanks to you all and the Internet) and have figured out what I like and what I can afford within those specs. I am very picky on inclusions/flaws if can see them with the naked eye. However, when it comes to color I think J is the lowest I’ll go on color. I can’t really tell the difference when the diamond is face up. So I rather give more money to the size of the diamond than the color.

We haven’t bought anything yet. But the front runner for our price range and the size I want is...

J
VS2
EX cut
EX polish
EX symmetry
No fluorescence

GIA- 2205739687

HCA score of 2.3

Price is $7600 out the door with tax and labor of setting the stone. I also get to keep my original diamond!

Please give me your honest opinions!

I don’t have photos of it just yet. Maybe in the next couple of days. But I would like your advice based off the information above.

Thanks!!
HCA is a yes or no. Under 2 yes. Over 2 no. I can't remember if on 2.0 is yes or no, but it doesn't matter in this case. 2.3 is a no.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can anyone find me a stone that’s within the 6-7k range? Around 1.45-1.49 carats

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Report check

Can you get an aset image for the stone you posted?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone find me a stone that’s within the 6-7k range? Around 1.45-1.49 carats

Sure. I did a search on Pricescope for 1.45-1.49, I and J color, VVS1-VS2 there are a few that score Ex on the HCA in your price range. But they fall outside of the proportions we generally recommend. If you could find an eye clean SI1 you’d have more choices. I’ll keep looking.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sure. I did a search on Pricescope for 1.45-1.49, I and J color, VVS1-VS2 there are a few that score Ex on the HCA in your price range.

I would have to check those HCA scores as well correct? It’s hard to find a great score within my price range and size. Maybe I’m wrong

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sure. I did a search on Pricescope for 1.45-1.49, I and J color, VVS1-VS2 there are a few that score Ex on the HCA in your price range. But they fall outside of the proportions we generally recommend. If you could find an eye clean SI1 you’d have more choices. I’ll keep looking.

Oops nevermind it comes with their scores! Thanks for the search!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Oops nevermind it comes with their scores! Thanks for the search!

Look at what I just found! https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4288693.htm?source=pricescope

I’d follow up and ask for more info, images etc. but this might be a way for you get your carat size if you’re okay with Strong Blue Fluorescence. The numbers are not available but I can’t believe they’d be selling an ugly diamond.

Honestly, it’s a tall order to get that size diamond for the price you want. I’ve been looking for a while and it seems like you’re going to have to compromise on size or cut IMHO.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at what I just found! https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4288693.htm?source=pricescope

I’d follow up and ask for more info, images etc. but this might be a way for you get your carat size if you’re okay with Strong Blue Fluorescence. The numbers are not available but I can’t believe they’d be selling an ugly diamond.

Honestly, it’s a tall order to get that size diamond for the price you want. I’ve been looking for a while and it seems like you’re going to have to compromise on size or cut IMHO.

Unfortunately that one is only GIA good cut with a huge table and it’s very shallow. WF have virtual inventory which are diamonds they haven’t vetted.

This one has decent numbers, 1.4 I VVS,

You could have a superideal if you were willing to drop size or colour eg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is a virtual stone so not in WF’s inventory. It lists a 67% table so that probably wouldn’t work.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade

Yes I agree. Something is going to have to give with my price range! I thought about dropping the color to K but I’m afraid it’ll look too dark?

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately that one is only GIA good cut with a huge table and it’s very shallow. WF have virtual inventory which are diamonds they haven’t vetted.

Thanks! I’ll take a look at these. I’m nervous that a K will look too dark with the setting. What do you think? 796F0056-5927-4824-91F7-BBD906F249B0.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn’t it seem strange that they have that diamond listed?

No, they list virtual diamonds that they can call in. These are in no way part of their branded diamonds. They don’t own these diamonds. I think they have policies regarding calling in the virtual stones for inspection. That particular one is GIA graded and all specs aren’t listed there but it does say a 59 something depth and a 67 table which is a combo that I certainly wouldn’t want.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
No, they list virtual diamonds that they can call in. These are in no way part of their branded diamonds. They don’t own these diamonds. I think they have policies regarding calling in the virtual stones for inspection. That particular one is GIA graded and all specs aren’t listed there but it does say a 59 something depth and a 67 table which is a combo that I certainly wouldn’t want.

Yes, I wouldn’t want those dimensions either lol. I was hoping it was a typo.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
No. Their virtual inventory isn't vetted by them at all--it's just virtual diamonds they have access to. I never look at them and only search for "in house" diamonds from them.

I knew she couldn’t get an ACA at that price point so I purposefully looked there thinking I might find something just outside the ideal parameters.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

I like that I from B2C!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
3AB28099-A0AD-4B24-BB3F-59381541B1C6.png

Here’s a photo of part of the cert for the diamond in question in case others don’t want to go find it. I have to say I just got rid of a 35/41 diamond which I was unsatisfied with. It was gorgeous in high light environments but had a tendency to go dark in the center in low light. Mine was 62.2 deep so maybe this stone won’t do that but I would be cautious.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
3AB28099-A0AD-4B24-BB3F-59381541B1C6.png

Here’s a photo of part of the cert for the diamond in question in case others don’t want to go find it. I have to say I just got rid of a 35/41 diamond which I was unsatisfied with. It was gorgeous in high light environments but had a tendency to go dark in the center in low light. Mine was 62.2 deep so maybe this stone won’t do that but I would be cautious.

Oh wow! Thanks for that feedback! Keeping that in mind for sure

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

I like that 1.3 J ACA. You're going to have a super sparkly, top performing cut with that one!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Brittanyannbarth The ACA is 100% trade up and you only have to spend more than the current stone you own...so, in the future if you
want to go bigger or go higher in color its very easy to upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results