carat
color
clarity

The making of a red gold ring

Henk

Rough_Rock
Trade
Good day everybody!
I would like to share with you one of my recent projects.
Ever wondered how a ring is made by hand?
In this video I show hand manufacturing process at four times actual speed and most of the processes are shown for education purposes and entertainment.
The manufacturing process took two days to complete, but the video is edited to 16 minutes only.
Enjoy the video! :mrgreen:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Lovely ! Thank you for posting !
Just curious, what was the proportion of copper alloy ( the red bar?) to gold base( the gold balls?) for the red gold? What was the final karat mark?
Thanks!
I really enjoy watching and learning from these.

Henk

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lovely ! Thank you for posting !
Just curious, what was the proportion of copper alloy ( the red bar?) to gold base( the gold balls?) for the red gold? What was the final karat mark?
Thanks!
I really enjoy watching and learning from these.
I used 9ct red gold for the ring in the video (37.5% gold content)

Winterinaustralia

Rough_Rock
Gosh, just amazing.
Thank you for posting this, I really admire how you seemed to do so much just by eye.
How long have you been a jeweller? And just curious but as you file and polish away the gold, are you able to collect the dust?
Thanks so much

Henk

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gosh, just amazing.
Thank you for posting this, I really admire how you seemed to do so much just by eye.
How long have you been a jeweller? And just curious but as you file and polish away the gold, are you able to collect the dust?
Thanks so much
Thank you!
I have been a professional goldsmith and gem setter for the past 21 years. I taught myself hand engraving this past 5 years. However I make art knives as well including forging my own Damascus steel.
Yes, we collect all the by products of the production process including used sandpaper, floor sweepings, polish dust from the polishing station etc. This is all kept in a refinery bin that is sent for refining every year or two. You will be surprised how much gold, silver and platinum can be recovered this way.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Henk that was mesmerising. Thank you for posting it. I love watching procedural videos and this one is fab.

Henk

Rough_Rock
Trade
@Henk that was mesmerising. Thank you for posting it. I love watching procedural videos and this one is fab.
I am glad you enjoyed the video :razz:
I am in the process of making two more videos at the moment.
One video features a fabulous large Aquamarine pear that is being made into a halo type setting with a byzantine flair on the sides.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for sharing the video. Ive always wondered!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is amazing !

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome video! Thank you for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results