shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354152397|3317905 said:
Thanks. I've never been a fan of it, though. When I was a kid, it was near impossible to find anything personalized. Even to this day, not many places have "Heidi" keychains, etc....

I also hate that you can't use a shortened version of it. I always wanted a nickname when I was young- a good one, not HEIDI-HO!
I understand that! My name is Sabrina and finding keychains and other name things rarely happened for me too. When I was a kid my parents called me Brina (which I don't care for). Add I got older my sisters and friends would call me Briny (breen-ee). I don't mind that casually by people I'm close to, but other than that, I wouldn't go by it. When I first came to college I considered trying to go by my middle name, but didn't. I ended up being Bri (pronounced bree) for awhile but it didn't stick around more than a year or so. I actually liked that one but I also love my first name. I like that it's different, but known and easy to spell.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354152397|3317905 said:
Thanks. I've never been a fan of it, though. When I was a kid, it was near impossible to find anything personalized. Even to this day, not many places have "Heidi" keychains, etc....

I also hate that you can't use a shortened version of it. I always wanted a nickname when I was young- a good one, not HEIDI-HO!
I understand that! My name is Sabrina and finding keychains and other name things rarely happened for me too. When I was a kid my parents called me Brina (which I don't care for). Add I got older my sisters and friends would call me Briny (breen-ee). I don't mind that casually by people I'm close to, but other than that, I wouldn't go by it. When I first came to college I considered trying to go by my middle name, but didn't. I ended up being Bri (pronounced bree) for awhile but it didn't stick around more than a year or so. I actually liked that one but I also love my first name. I like that it's different, but known and easy to spell.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I can't say I knew a lot of Sabrinas growing up. I hardly knew any other Heidis, either. The first one I had in a class with me was when I was 26, in college. One the first day, as the professor was taking roll, he said "Heidi..." and I started to go "here", but then realized there was another girl with that name but alphabetically, her last name came before mine. We both looked at each other with that "Oh my god, there's more than one!" look on our faces. It was priceless.

I do like "Bri", but that's nice that you love your name to begin with. Maybe one day I'll learn to love (or at least like) mine.

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's so funny! I met my first other Sabrina in college too! My situation was reversed though because alphabetically I came first and she was the one who assumed it was her! Hehehe.

I liked Bri too, but everyone calls me Sabrina. It's fine, I do really like me name. Except for the "are you a teenage witch?" comments. Seriously?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354196189|3318177 said:
I liked Bri too, but everyone calls me Sabrina. It's fine, I do really like me name. Except for the "are you a teenage witch?" comments. Seriously?

:roll: Oh brother! That would annoy me REAL quick.

I used to get "Oh, do you live in the mountains with you grandfather and goats?" Har dee har har, how original.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354202426|3318265 said:
audball|1354196189|3318177 said:

:roll: Oh brother! That would annoy me REAL quick.

I used to get "Oh, do you live in the mountains with you grandfather and goats?" Har dee har har, how original.
Haha, seriously. And it doesn't help that my last name is also something that could be recalled upon by many people. So I get it at both junctures. The older I get the less the teenage witch thing comes up but I SWEAR in high school working as a cashier I'd hear it AT LEAST once per day every time I worked.

I can't wait to dump my current last name for Andrew's. We, like you, share the same last initial already, but I can't wait to actually share the same last name! :) Future Mrs. M :)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to dump my last name, either.

My current LN is constantly mispronounced, misspelled, etc… you name it, I’ve been called it. LOL. Everything BUT the proper pronunciation, spelling, etc.
M’s last name gets butchered quite a bit, too. Oh well, I’ll learn to live with it. :Up_to_something:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Me too. I have no connection to my last name. It doesn't define me. I can't wait to be his Mrs.

Mine never gets mispronounced, but there are a few different ways to spell it so not everyone gets it right even though mine is the most common spelling. Andrew's is a relatively common name and shorter than mine so I'm looking forward to the simplicity! :)

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I love both of your names! You don't hear either of them very often, which makes me like them even more - I have REALLY common first and second names. My last name is currently in pop culture, so I also hear a fair share of 'witty' jokes about it!

I confess I have been watching the Sabrina the Teenage Witch DVD's, and I have thought of you a couple of times audball! :oops:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1354228307|3318694 said:
I love both of your names! You don't hear either of them very often, which makes me like them even more - I have REALLY common first and second names. My last name is currently in pop culture, so I also hear a fair share of 'witty' jokes about it!

I confess I have been watching the Sabrina the Teenage Witch DVD's, and I have thought of you a couple of times audball! :oops:
Thanks Chewy! I like it because it's uncommon but not unheard of/made up. It's spelled like it sounds and different. Win-win in my book. Definitely the inspiration I want to find for any future kiddos. Different, not unheard of, spelled like it sounds.

I LOVED the show. I still do. It just got really old when everyone thought *they* were the clever one making the association when in fact I'd hear it multiple times per day at work.

Andrew and I have discussed possible names for kids, there isn't a lot we agree on!

I have a new boy name I like but he doesn't. Parson. I don't know why but I just love it. I also love Grant. He likes Grant, but only as a middle name. Waah. ;( Hahah. :lol:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
audball said:
Chewbacca|1354228307|3318694 said:

Thanks Chewy! I like it because it's uncommon but not unheard of/made up. It's spelled like it sounds and different. Win-win in my book. Definitely the inspiration I want to find for any future kiddos. Different, not unheard of, spelled like it sounds.

I LOVED the show. I still do. It just got really old when everyone thought *they* were the clever one making the association when in fact I'd hear it multiple times per day at work.

Andrew and I have discussed possible names for kids, there isn't a lot we agree on!

I have a new boy name I like but he doesn't. Parson. I don't know why but I just love it. I also love Grant. He likes Grant, but only as a middle name. Waah. ;( Hahah. :lol:

I'm watching it right now! Its so bad/good!

Yeah, it does wear thin eventually for sure! Luckily not too many people hear my last name out and about. Such wit. Not. I wish I was insinuating that my last name was Potter - I'd actually LOVE that, ha ha. :geek:

I think both Parson and Grant are nice names! Espesh Parson, it really goes with an M initial! They definitely fulfill the 'different, not unheard of, spelled like it sounds' criteria (which we also follow!). SO and I mostly agree on names. There is a family name we would love to use from his side, and I know we aren't the only ones. It feels like we are in a really slow paced race to it, haha! As lame as it is, the names we both like the most are variations of our own names - conceded, moi? :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1354232638|3318766 said:
I'm watching it right now! Its so bad/good!

Yeah, it does wear thin eventually for sure! Luckily not too many people hear my last name out and about. Such wit. Not. I wish I was insinuating that my last name was Potter - I'd actually LOVE that, ha ha. :geek:

I think both Parson and Grant are nice names! Espesh Parson, it really goes with an M initial! They definitely fulfill the 'different, not unheard of, spelled like it sounds' criteria (which we also follow!). SO and I mostly agree on names. There is a family name we would love to use from his side, and I know we aren't the only ones. It feels like we are in a really slow paced race to it, haha! As lame as it is, the names we both like the most are variations of our own names - conceded, moi? :lol:
I'd love Potter too! Me loves some Harry Potter!

I really like Parson, but Andrew just doesn't. At least you guys agree! You could always reuse the family name if someone gets it first as a middle name.

I love that you love variations of your own names! Haha. That's awesome.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
HI ladies!!! I have an interview with my current company tomorrow for a promotion upon graduation...I've been with them for 5 years and I think I've done a good job but I'm still really nervous! Also I have no idea how many positions they'll have for us upcoming grads. Can I request some magical dust please?? Thank you all!!!! xoxoxoxo ::) ::)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interviews are always nerve wracking even if a lot of factors are known going in. I'm sure you'll do great! How wonderful would it be to 1) have a job lined up for post graduation and 2) to have one thing, your future job location/city you will be residing in for the next several years!

Andrew has an interview tomorrow too! He's so nervous.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, ~*~*~*~dust~*~*~* panda ! I'm so sorry I missed this earlier.

So, while watching t.v. tonight, a commercial came on for some jewelry place/company. And M actually noticed it before I did- numbers appeared to "shine through" the diamond itself, like your anniversary date or something.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

He kept rewinding the DVR to show me, and I have to say I've never seen that before. I wish I could remember. I was more impressed that HE was paying attention to a diamond commercial and I was more focused on finishing off a beer. :Up_to_something:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of that H! But so funny that HE was the one paying attention!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I know! I'm going to take it as a good sign, though. :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354800368|3323999 said:
Definitely! :) He's got bling on the brain! :Up_to_something:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
So I was thinking of you ladies the other day when FI and were out at happy hour because we somehow got onto the discussion of names (ie, baby names for future children). I remembered you had been discussing names in here and thought it was so funny!

I like my first name (it's a very classic name with a small twist that I think makes it so much more elegant, lol), but can't wait to ditch my last name for FI's. Less than two months to go!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
MBKRH|1354800368|3323999 said:

Most definitely! I always used to get excited before we were engaged and FI brought up the topic of diamonds, or noticed them on his own.

He's so cute now, he says goodnight to my ring every night when I take it off and put it away before bed. :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1354814337|3324345 said:
So I was thinking of you ladies the other day when FI and were out at happy hour because we somehow got onto the discussion of names (ie, baby names for future children). I remembered you had been discussing names in here and thought it was so funny!

I like my first name (it's a very classic name with a small twist that I think makes it so much more elegant, lol), but can't wait to ditch my last name for FI's. Less than two months to go!
Woot! I love talking baby names. Andrew and I don't agree on many...good thing we don't plan on kids for many years yet!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1354814513|3324382 said:
He's so cute now, he says goodnight to my ring every night when I take it off and put it away before bed. :lol:
SO CUTE!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354814851|3324462 said:
Woot! I love talking baby names. Andrew and I don't agree on many...good thing we don't plan on kids for many years yet!

It's fun, isn't it?! We've had a boy name locked down ever since we decided we'll have a kid or two someday, and refer to him by name all the time, but we were never able to find a girl name that either of us liked. I'm so picky when it comes to names! At happy hour, I think we finally found one we like! After we tested it out a few times, FI said "did we just name our little girl?!" Not gonna lie, I melted. :love:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1354815358|3324477 said:
audball|1354814851|3324462 said:

It's fun, isn't it?! We've had a boy name locked down ever since we decided we'll have a kid or two someday, and refer to him by name all the time, but we were never able to find a girl name that either of us liked. I'm so picky when it comes to names! At happy hour, I think we finally found one we like! After we tested it out a few times, FI said "did we just name our little girl?!" Not gonna lie, I melted. :love:
It so is! And sooooooooooooo cute when the guys talk about the future kid(dos). And I love that you refer to him as his name!

It may take us 7-8 years to agree on something! Good thing that's about how long before we plan on even considering it!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
awwwww that is so cute that he says good night to your ring every night star sparkle!!! And about the names. guhhhhh so cute!!!

We haven't talked names yet, and tbh I don't have many thought of past girl names. I will be so disappointed if I don't have a girl because I have way more names I want for girls than I do for boys.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Also, thanks for the dust ladies!!! Hopefully I will hear back soon...I have some letters of rec going to the interviewer and he said that the first round of offers should go out by 12/17!!!! That is so soon. I'm so nervous. So hopefully I hear then...if not then I'll have to wait a couple months and see, but even then I may not even hear a "no" (unfortunately that is such bad practice, but that's how it was with last year's graduates). So fingers crossed then!!!

On the plus side, I found out that I have the option of staying on part-time at my other job at the hospital...so if all else fails, I at least have that next year! Who knows how many hours that will end up being, but it's better than nothing.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354824709|3324632 said:
It so is! And sooooooooooooo cute when the guys talk about the future kid(dos). And I love that you refer to him as his name!

So something interesting that came out of the convo that night - FI never realized that I would want to have a girl someday. We've been referring to our future boy by name forever, and anytime we refer to future kids by default it's just assumed that it's a boy (because that's the only name we had).

FI has always been adamant that he doesn't want a girl. I eventually was able to not be so averse to the idea of a girl, but he still didn't necessarily *want* one. So when we were talking about it at hh, I said (as I often have) "What if we don't have a boy and end up with two girls?" His response was that that would never happen, blah blah blah, and so I said "Did you ever stop and think that *I* might want a girl someday?"

He looked shocked and like I had just blown his mind. Apparently he never HAD thought that before. :roll:

But then the next day he brought up something kid-related and said "What if little Jack OR Jill doesn't like ______?" That was the first time he brought up a potential girl on his own, and it was super cute.

It may take us 7-8 years to agree on something! Good thing that's about how long before we plan on even considering it!

Haha, you'll get there. If I could get this far with FI, who said during the same hh conversation "I never imagined that I would have, or even WANT to have, kids before I met you. And now I'm actually excited about it," then there's hope for you and A agreeing on a name. ;-)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1354826239|3324658 said:
We haven't talked names yet, and tbh I don't have many thought of past girl names. I will be so disappointed if I don't have a girl because I have way more names I want for girls than I do for boys.

See, we were the opposite! Boy names were SOOO much easier and we have a whole list of names we like. Girl names were so much harder.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1354826378|3324662 said:
Also, thanks for the dust ladies!!! Hopefully I will hear back soon...I have some letters of rec going to the interviewer and he said that the first round of offers should go out by 12/17!!!! That is so soon. I'm so nervous. So hopefully I hear then...if not then I'll have to wait a couple months and see, but even then I may not even hear a "no" (unfortunately that is such bad practice, but that's how it was with last year's graduates). So fingers crossed then!!!

On the plus side, I found out that I have the option of staying on part-time at my other job at the hospital...so if all else fails, I at least have that next year! Who knows how many hours that will end up being, but it's better than nothing.

Yay, good luck!!! Dust and fingers crossed that you hear back soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results