shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Morning, ladies! I know it''s afternoon, but I slept in today. Oops.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:22:04 PM
Author: ladypirate
Hi Ladies.

I''m getting kind of depressed about finding work.
7.gif
My resume doesn''t look great what with moving around a lot the last couple of years (literally moving--3 cities in the last 3 years). Most employers are looking for people who have been at previous jobs for at least 2 - 3 years. I''m just afraid I won''t be able to find anyone to hire me in this economy. I don''t know what I''m going to do. I signed up with a temp agency today and I''ll be signing up with a couple of others as well, but I just don''t know. I''m just getting depressed.

Any suggestions?
Blah..LP that sucks. I''m sorry.
7.gif

I wish I had some awesome advice for you, but I''m in the same boat with job hunting. I''m also getting discouraged and depressed. I guess you''re in good company, eh?
20.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:29:04 PM
Author: misskitty
Morning, ladies! I know it''s afternoon, but I slept in today. Oops.
Good Morning (kinda), MK!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
ok, i just had to share a bit of my LIW-itis moment.

so yesterday, BF was saying how he was thinking of leaving work early today. which, btw, is something he NEVER does or takes days off either. anyway, i wrote him an e-mail saying how we should try to catch a matinee of HP. this was his response:

"Possible. Very possible...we shall have to look into the feasibility of
that proposal."

when i opened his e-mail, all i saw was the word "proposal" and i swear, all i was thinking in my head was, "proposal?! whose proposal?! MY proposal??!!".
4.gif
i didn''t even bother to mention it to BF...i think he would''ve just laughed at me and i don''t blame him!
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:32:05 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Hi Ladies.

7.gif
My resume doesn''t look great what with moving around a lot the last couple of years (literally moving--3 cities in the last 3 years). Most employers are looking for people who have been at previous jobs for at least 2 - 3 years. I''m just afraid I won''t be able to find anyone to hire me in this economy. I don''t know what I''m going to do. I signed up with a temp agency today and I''ll be signing up with a couple of others as well, but I just don''t know. I''m just getting depressed.

Any suggestions?

7.gif

I wish I had some awesome advice for you, but I''m in the same boat with job hunting. I''m also getting discouraged and depressed. I guess you''re in good company, eh?
20.gif

It seems to be the modus operandi these days. It''s just frustrating--I wish I could figure out exactly what I want to DO because at least then I''d have something to work towards. At this point I''m just sitting home and looking for work and working on writing a novel because I can''t think of anything better to do.
20.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
vip - I''m making teriyaki salmon and stuffed shells and manicotti. And ice cream makes me feel better about almost anything also! A hot fudge sundae can do wonders...

LP - I''m sorry you''re so down about finding work
8.gif
I don''t have any suggestions, just **hugs**

misskitty - good morning!

Elle - I''m sorry you''re also getting discouraged about job hunting
40.gif
**hugs** to you too

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:38:10 PM

Hi Ladies.

7.gif

Any suggestions?

7.gif

20.gif

It seems to be the modus operandi these days. It''s just frustrating--I wish I could figure out exactly what I want to DO because at least then I''d have something to work towards. At this point I''m just sitting home and looking for work and working on writing a novel because I can''t think of anything better to do.
20.gif
It is really frustrating. I threatened FI with going to grad school to wait out the recession, but he talked me out of it.

Do you have ANY idea what you want to do? I don''t even know what your degree is in... so I can''t even take a guess.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:34:44 PM
Author: vip0802
ok, i just had to share a bit of my LIW-itis moment.

so yesterday, BF was saying how he was thinking of leaving work early today. which, btw, is something he NEVER does or takes days off either. anyway, i wrote him an e-mail saying how we should try to catch a matinee of HP. this was his response:

''Possible. Very possible...we shall have to look into the feasibility of
that proposal.''

when i opened his e-mail, all i saw was the word ''proposal'' and i swear, all i was thinking in my head was, ''proposal?! whose proposal?! MY proposal??!!''.
4.gif
i didn''t even bother to mention it to BF...i think he would''ve just laughed at me and i don''t blame him!
2.gif
LOL. Cute, Vip!
3.gif

I do NOT miss the LIW stage... even though it was kind of exciting knowing that any moment could be THE moment.

elation

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your honest replies, I really appreciate hearing opinions straight up regardless.
I think if it keeps getting worse, what you all suggest is what it''ll come down to. I''m just not a risk taker and I''m scared of letting go of what is a really good thing, that I''ll never find somebody who will love me as much as he does. It seems to be only my inhibitions holding us back. I''m afraid of the answers.
Um, I''ll let you all know when it blows up in my face.

LP, elle, good luck with the job hunt =\ I have a couple friends in the same boat and I know it''s discouraging, but something great might be around the corner! Maybe you need to revamp your resume or touch up your portfolio? Or maybe take some extra certification to give your profile more edge?

And Lilac! Ever try making your own ice cream? =P I''m a huge sucker for ice cream too =)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:45:03 PM

Hi Ladies.

7.gif

Any suggestions?

7.gif

20.gif

20.gif

It is really frustrating. I threatened FI with going to grad school to wait out the recession, but he talked me out of it.

Do you have ANY idea what you want to do? I don''t even know what your degree is in... so I can''t even take a guess.

My degree is in psychology and theatre. Real useful combination.
20.gif
I don''t even know at this point. Job hunting is starting to make me feel like I''m going to have a panic attack, which hasn''t even happened to me for almost 10 years. I just feel like I have lost all my self-confidence.
7.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
morning misskitty!

LP and elle - i''m sorry you guys are feeling depressed about job hunting!
8.gif
i''ve never been too fond of that myself. don''t get discouraged though! keep at it and you''ll find one. as far as suggestions...i''d try looking into gigs on craigslist in the meantime if you really need the money. i did that for a while and i actually had a good time doing stuff like dog-walking, helping set up for local events, helping photographers, etc... it''s not steady income but it did occupy my time while i was waiting to hear back from employers and job searching.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:53:09 PM

20.gif
I don''t even know at this point. Job hunting is starting to make me feel like I''m going to have a panic attack, which hasn''t even happened to me for almost 10 years. I just feel like I have lost all my self-confidence.
7.gif
Ah yes... the social science degree. I''m not doing so hot with mine, either.
20.gif

I know you mentioned law school -- is that still a possibility?

What fields have you looked in so far?

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
elation - nope, never tried but I want to! DH and I registered for an ice cream maker but nobody bought it
15.gif
We don''t really want to spend the money on one right now, but maybe one day we will! Does the ice cream taste good from those things?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:55:48 PM
morning misskitty!

LP and elle - i''m sorry you guys are feeling depressed about job hunting!
8.gif
i''ve never been too fond of that myself. don''t get discouraged though! keep at it and you''ll find one. as far as suggestions...i''d try looking into gigs on craigslist in the meantime if you really need the money. i did that for a while and i actually had a good time doing stuff like dog-walking, helping set up for local events, helping photographers, etc... it''s not steady income but it did occupy my time while i was waiting to hear back from employers and job searching.

I have a job right now... so I guess I can''t be too whiny. LP definitely has it tougher. I''m lucky to have one. However, it''s mindlessly boring, and a trained monkey could do it. I''m not kidding. I''m so bored, and I just feel like I"m wasting my life.

I considered going back for 5 classes and getting a cert, but I really would like to go back for my MSW, and there is no social work cert, so it''d be a waste, yanno?

*sigh* this is what i get for graduating in 2009.
20.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
LP, I feel for ya. I''m in grad school, so technically I have some "direction," but I''ve been unemployed since October (I work part-time and I volunteer, but I don''t have what I consider to be a real job right now).

It''s tough. Have you considered volunteering? That''s what''s been keeping me sane, because it gives me a bit of a routine and it gets me out of the house.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:58:02 PM
Author: Lilac
elation - nope, never tried but I want to! DH and I registered for an ice cream maker but nobody bought it
15.gif
We don''t really want to spend the money on one right now, but maybe one day we will! Does the ice cream taste good from those things?

awww! i would''ve gotten you one!

i used to have an ice cream maker back in the day, but it was the kind you had to rotate the paddle yourself. i used to make egg nog ice cream during the holidays and it always came out like soft serve ice cream. yummy! i think if you want a harder consistency, you''re supposed to let it freeze up again but i could never wait for that.

Bia

Ideal_Rock

Hi Ladies.

7.gif

Any suggestions?

7.gif

20.gif

20.gif

20.gif
7.gif

Im in the same boat LP...I feel your pain! Not sure if I''ll get in trouble for this, but have you considered using social networking sites (specifically Linked In). I am doing that now and am finding a lot of people I know, who know people with vacancies in their places of work. Also, when you apply, have you customized your resume/cover letter to tailor the job specifically? I had a coaching session just yesterday with a friend of mine from school--he''s been in financial services for over 20 years and he had a lot of really great suggestions for me (really anyone in our situation: young twenty-somethings with not a great deal of diverse experience) and that was one he said was very important.

Interestingly enough, when I told him about the job I recently applied for, it turned out someone in his network knew the woman I would be working for if I got the job. He is reaching out to his friend to see if she can connect us via email. Even if the job was already placed, I''d still like to get an informational interview to see what it takes to move in that direction. So, my point is, reach out to people you know, even if you don''t know them well. Also ask for introductions to people they know that might be in a field you''re interested in breaking into. In this job market, it won''t be looked down upon if you seem overeager, you know? People need jobs right now, so do whatever you can to market yourself and get your name out there.

I was also a Psych major and that can make it hard to break into a career, esp when you don''t have a ton of experience (hence going back to school). What we do have is plenty of ''transferable skills'' (lol). Just gotta know how to word it baby!

Hope that helps a bit.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 3:12:44 PM
Author: Bia

Hi Ladies.

I'm getting kind of depressed about finding work.
7.gif
My resume doesn't look great what with moving around a lot the last couple of years (literally moving--3 cities in the last 3 years). Most employers are looking for people who have been at previous jobs for at least 2 - 3 years. I'm just afraid I won't be able to find anyone to hire me in this economy. I don't know what I'm going to do. I signed up with a temp agency today and I'll be signing up with a couple of others as well, but I just don't know. I'm just getting depressed.

Any suggestions?

Blah..LP that sucks. I'm sorry.
7.gif

I wish I had some awesome advice for you, but I'm in the same boat with job hunting. I'm also getting discouraged and depressed. I guess you're in good company, eh?
20.gif

It seems to be the modus operandi these days. It's just frustrating--I wish I could figure out exactly what I want to DO because at least then I'd have something to work towards. At this point I'm just sitting home and looking for work and working on writing a novel because I can't think of anything better to do.
20.gif

Do you have ANY idea what you want to do? I don't even know what your degree is in... so I can't even take a guess.

20.gif
I don't even know at this point. Job hunting is starting to make me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack, which hasn't even happened to me for almost 10 years. I just feel like I have lost all my self-confidence.
7.gif

Im in the same boat LP...I feel your pain! Not sure if I'll get in trouble for this, but have you considered using social networking sites (specifically Linked In). I am doing that now and am finding a lot of people I know, who know people with vacancies in their places of work. Also, when you apply, have you customized your resume/cover letter to tailor the job specifically? I had a coaching session just yesterday with a friend of mine from school--he's been in financial services for over 20 years and he had a lot of really great suggestions for me (really anyone in our situation: young twenty-somethings with not a great deal of diverse experience) and that was one he said was very important.

Interestingly enough, when I told him about the job I recently applied for, it turned out someone in his network knew the woman I would be working for if I got the job. He is reaching out to his friend to see if she can connect us via email. Even if the job was already placed, I'd still like to get an informational interview to see what it takes to move in that direction. So, my point is, reach out to people you know, even if you don't know them well. Also ask for introductions to people they know that might be in a field you're interested in breaking into. In this job market, it won't be looked down upon if you seem overeager, you know? People need jobs right now, so do whatever you can to market yourself and get your name out there.

I was also a Psych major and that can make it hard to break into a career, esp when you don't have a ton of experience (hence going back to school). What we do have is plenty of 'transferable skills' (lol). Just gotta know how to word it baby!

Hope that helps a bit.

Transferrable skills... a nice euphemism for our lovely social science degrees.
2.gif

Good suggestions, B! Thanks!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Yayyy social science degrees...another one here.

Ditto Bia, on the cover letter thing. I get copied on emailed applications at my job....one day the file name was "gencover" and I thought what a terrible way to tell a company you dont want the job enough to write a specific cover letter...or at least rename your file!

I hear you big-time, LP. I still don''t know what I want to do forever, and a non-specific degree means finding a "niche" and staying there. It''s tough. Hang in there, and don''t let it affect your self confidence. Easier said than done, I know, but just know that we all think you rock
1.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, it's hard. I also feel like the "assistant" jobs just prolong the agony, you know? That's why I'm trying to break out now. It is funny though, how even in a big city like NY, your small group of friends know a lot of people. And the best recommendations definitely come word of mouth.

That's one thing I will say has been ingrained in my head pursuing this HR degree...it's all about how you network.

I hope we find our dream jobs soon!!! (fingers crossed)

**job dust to you both**

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 3:21:47 PM
Author: Miscka
Yayyy social science degrees...another one here.

Ditto Bia, on the cover letter thing. I get copied on emailed applications at my job....one day the file name was ''gencover'' and I thought what a terrible way to tell a company you dont want the job enough to write a specific cover letter...or at least rename your file!

I hear you big-time, LP. I still don''t know what I want to do forever, and a non-specific degree means finding a ''niche'' and staying there. It''s tough. Hang in there, and don''t let it affect your self confidence. Easier said than done, I know, but just know that we all think you rock
1.gif
Yea, not a good idea to use a generic letter. I also heard that its smart to use skills needed in the job description in your resume bullets, because some companies have weeding out software. So here you are sending your information, and taking time to draft your cover letter and it doesn''t even get looked at b/c you don''t have the same key words in it!
11.gif

Job hunting is a PITA. Can you believe some people actually go on interviews for fun?!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
My last job I felt like a robot. I hated it. Liked the people I worked with and worked for, but the actual work I was doing was so unbelievably boring I dreaded going to work in the morning and I counted down the minuted until I could leave. When I first started I loved it, but then they gave me more responsibilities (different responsibilities involving completely different things) and I ended up absolutely hating the work I was doing. Stuck it out for a year and a half though until school took over and I had too much school work and class and not enough hours to work.

It sucks to hate your job (although in this economy a bad job is probably better than no job at all). But it''s very depressing going to a job you hate, so I really feel for those of you who have to do that.
40.gif

elation

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 3:12:33 PM
Date: 7/16/2009 2:58:02 PM

15.gif

awww! i would''ve gotten you one!

i used to have an ice cream maker back in the day, but it was the kind you had to rotate the paddle yourself. i used to make egg nog ice cream during the holidays and it always came out like soft serve ice cream. yummy! i think if you want a harder consistency, you''re supposed to let it freeze up again but i could never wait for that.

Mine always came out harder than normal! I think I waited too long =P But you can get pretty creative with those things.. some of my friends make reeeeally good home made ice cream with theirs.

I totally agree with Lilac - going to a job you hate every morning suuuuucks. I''m a co-op student so if I didn''t like it, it was only 4 months of my life! But I dread the day I start real full time work =\ I haven''t yet found a job I''d like to stay at for more than four months! But a job still makes you money..

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:41:42 PM
vip - I''m making teriyaki salmon and stuffed shells and manicotti. And ice cream makes me feel better about almost anything also! A hot fudge sundae can do wonders...

ohhh, yummy! please send leftovers to me please!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, man. My brain is fried from homework. I thought you said you were making teriyaki ice cream.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Today has been a horrible day. I made no sales, couldnt get ahold of another funeral home. Mom is sick and boyfriend had to have some skin procedures, and things set off to the lab. I just feel like crying! O well, nothing i can do about it....heres pics of my babies

Keno.jpg

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O crap, those are huge....heres Ladee, the white one iks Keno

Ladee2.jpg

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Heres Bucky...he has attitude issues...one more i promise

Bucky.jpg

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
now, theres another kitty, but cant find a pic of her.....its rare for her to sit still, but here is......

SPEEDI....THE TURTLE....you cant tell but she is the size of a desert plate

speedi.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:38:04 PM
Author: Jessie702
Today has been a horrible day. I made no sales, couldnt get ahold of another funeral home. Mom is sick and boyfriend had to have some skin procedures, and things set off to the lab. I just feel like crying! O well, nothing i can do about it....heres pics of my babies

*HUGS* i''m sorry you''re having such a bad day! i think you should cry it out...and then maybe have some ice cream.
2.gif
i know i feel much better after i do that. i''m not sure what else to say, but i hope things look up for you sweetie! your babies are ADORABLE!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results