shape
carat
color
clarity

The journey to a larger carat size

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming back to share these pictures, I am having a pretty low day though. Since it’s part of the journey story, I will share.

The short story is that this diamond has an inclusion which was significant enough that I wanted to get my jeweler’s opinion on whether it affected the durability. I did not anticipate that he would call it a piece of junk and proceed to tell me he would never sell me something so awful. “I hope you didn’t pay more than $500 for this” “what makes you think the stone is old, some kid in India made this”. Those were the highlights but he went on and on while I stood in front of the woman working there. I was so embarrassed and humiliated I left and cried in the car. I’ve been bringing my jewelry to him for a while and didn’t expect what I got today.

Here are the pictures, somehow I don’t see what he sees but he really took the wind out of my sails.

67697B7D-6862-42A7-908E-723EF76A7F91.jpeg

31D1D4A3-BFC8-4635-B637-11B47A351106.jpeg

B0CB5918-8B62-4F9E-AAA5-6C1B20BD32B4.jpeg

87F6041C-D30F-4711-BAB8-40BBFCF9B6CB.jpeg

57BEA7CF-FCC2-47AB-BB5B-D3D08EA0EDD5.jpeg

56DE95DF-439A-46C1-8E6A-DF354B016ED9.jpeg

F607E848-824B-4136-8B5D-F2AFDD77A8FE.jpeg

2FEE857A-8698-438B-A33F-919536C557D4.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also a big thank you to @lovedogs for being an extra pair of eyes.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to hear this, no need for that at all. Just remember it is him, not you.
The stone and ring are really pretty. Sending you hugs.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry!! I do see Kozibe in there! I think it’s lovely and will have great coverage for you. Some people have zero appreciation of lower colored diamonds. We know better here!
Again, sorry he brought you down. What were your impressions when you opened it up?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely thanks, he has always been a bit temperamental but today was a whole new level.

@Slick1, I know the lower colors aren’t for everyone but I love them. When I opened this up I thought it looked like sunshine, happy and cheerful.
I love it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Whaaaat?? That really SUCKS! And as you may remember, I have been there. My jeweler said I shouldn't pay more than 2k for an 8mm since it had a chip and made me feel like total crap. Do you think he's upset that you didn't buy from him (I think that is what it was with me) or perhaps he doesn't have an appreciation for champagne stones? It wasn't too long ago that any stone with fluor wasn't appreciated. I am so sorry that you went through that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, after I left I took it to another jeweler in town and she said she didn’t think it was a durability risk. She said maybe consider a bezel setting if you are rough on your hands.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, ugh, it really sucks doesn’t it? He just has no appreciation for old cut stones and he was in a foul mood. That combo is what I think was going on. All he had to say was yes the inclusion is an issue or no it’s not. I am not going back there again!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is lovely. The white diamond halo enhances the beautifully colored center OEC diamond.

I completely understand how you feel about the encounter with your jeweler.
Based on my experience, the vast majority don't know or have no interest in older cut diamonds.

Congratulations on a beautiful ring and enjoy wearing it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, he just doesn’t care and I don’t think he appreciates being challenged by a woman. It was upsetting but I’m not going to let it ruin my whole day.

@Paisley2628 thank you so much, it’s a shame that there isn’t a greater appreciation for the old cut. Oh well, more for us!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
YadaYadaYada
Loved reading your journey ! I like the new ring regardless of what the jeweler says .
Mine is similar in the way I keep buying antique rings to see what I like or not . I found out I can't afford one big expensive stone and I actually like multiple small stones because they sparkle more .Also discovered that I like big antique statement rings .

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @jeweln, that’s kind of part of the reason I thought to start a thread. Sometimes you just have to try different things to know what you want. I love clusters and multi stone rings, you can get a big look without a big price ;-)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That color.. and that stone? is stunning. That beauty makes me flutter just looking at her <3 there is something indescribable about warmer tones that takes my breath away! I feel you sister.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Your jeweler was so rude and unprofessional, I’m sorry that he made you feel so upset! Can you imagine insulting something so lovely just because it doesn’t fit into a narrow range? There’s more to diamonds than super white MRBs, especially in the antique/vintage world! It’s a beautiful champagne and I love how it pops against the halo! I love a warm diamond in YG or RG. And the facet pattern is great and gives such a rainbow effect!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @blingmeupscotty, I was never much into the lower colors but I wish I had been, they are so charming. Love that each one is unique too.

Thanks @FL_runner, it is unfortunate especially because the woman who was working would always talk to me, said I had some of the prettiest things, we would talk about everything. You could see in her face she was horrified.

I can’t wait to get the ring sized so I can wear it!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
It’s gorgeous. Beautiful color that contrasts so nicely with the halo and the cut! Such pretty facets!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @BrownGinger, it really is a very bright cheerful stone. Has me looking forward to warmer days for sure.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just reading all this now.
First off, I love this ring! The champagne and white stones look so luxurious together. The halo is just the right proportion.
It is rich and regal!

About that jeweler. Whadda jerk! How dare he hurt my Yada's feelings!
The Italian guy really blew it. Does he realize that he drove away his best customer? And now you will take your business to the competition across town.

There is a quaint gesture that we Italians use. I'm sure you know it.
1614223050985.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, can you believe this? I could hardly believe it standing there! The husband said I’m too nice, should have told him off but that’s not me.

Anyways screw him and let’s just revel in the warm glow for a second lol! Seriously though this is the perfect yellow, not too much and not too pale. It is really hard to find an old cut champagne that isn’t severely included. I’m going to name her after she is resized so she will be part of the bling team :)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s time for you to find a new jeweler! Geez!! How many days do you have to decide? What are you observing about her as the hours go by? Lol

I’m steaming mad on your behalf! How dare your jeweler talk to you like that? I really hope that you won’t go back to that pathetic excuse of a salesperson. “Looks like a kid in India made it” - thanks, judgmental a-hole, lets just make light of child labour because you’re bitter you didn’t make a sale :roll2:

FWIW, I think the ring is very pretty and a lovely and even champagne colour. If the other jeweler has confirmed there’s no durability risk, I would wear it and enjoy it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, no kidding! Honestly I was only working with him because he did better work than the other jeweler in town. You are lucky to have an awesome jeweler!

It’s very interesting to watch this diamond change personalities with the light, but never a bad shade. The change goes from a light gingerale to a lemon bar yellow. Really cool and fun to watch.

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain, that’s my plan is to resize so I can wear and enjoy. I’m very careful about my rings anyways so I’m not worried :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New day and looking forward to working with a new jeweler today a couple towns over. I just have to wait for a break from Zoom so I run out. Fingers crossed that it’s not gone too long.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada, I won't go on for too long because you sound like you're feeling better (which I am so happy about) but I just want to say that jeweler was very out of line and I am sorry he made you so upset...you asked him a specific question and he should have just answered it instead of being so harsh and insulting. I'm glad you're not going back to him.

Ok, enough time wasted on him...I love this ring!!! Beautiful color, lots of sparkle, and the setting is really pretty. I love halos. You can't beat them for extra sparkle and finger coverage. That said, the diamond is a great size! I can't wait to see this on your finger!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @junebug17! I can’t wait to get it back and I just dropped it off lol! This is my first proper halo and I do like the extra coverage and sparkle, definitely see the appeal.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got back from the new jeweler a little bit ago and they actually do antique repair and restoration, so now I have someone knowledgeable with old stuff.

There was one new thing that came out of today....it’s an old mine cut! It was sold to me as OEC but this explains the very puffy crown and the smaller face up size for its weight. Pretty excited to have an old mine in this size!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the text today that the ring was ready and jump in the car only to find it won’t start! Check the fluids and there is no coolant!! Throw coolant in and pray on the way to the jewelry store. Made it there and managed to get the car to the shop but most importantly, she is back! I think Goldie is a good name ;-)

I took lots of different pictures to show her in all different lighting.

In the car:
81FDA685-B6AF-4F29-8EE7-61145E942DDD.jpeg
C2D5C8F5-1347-4FA3-ADDF-82A03337CEA5.jpeg B934A72A-AA5A-47F1-B456-9BD75C0C7E09.jpeg 2BBC9B72-7B6E-48B2-A81A-982E35E0C9AF.jpeg 53739CB7-59CB-499D-872E-7D64D7B16E81.jpeg

In the house:
F7D3307B-C3B8-49FC-AEAF-371443A2A9ED.jpeg B840282E-ACC2-401A-AFCE-8420F28D6459.jpeg 64A182E2-31F9-44CB-910B-B729CED9C25B.jpeg

Outside direct sun:
D2BDF0E2-1E8C-4771-84D6-72E457D9F943.jpeg

Outside shade:
2AD35F08-D009-41CA-953E-7E78A66058ED.jpeg

In the living room low light:
37F00AE2-66D0-47C4-83C8-3D0A77F516C7.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results