shape
carat
color
clarity

The gym-revisited

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I'm hoping to talk more w/my brother about it this weekend..I'd like to get some things rolling for it, get domain names situated etc..don't you have to buy them or something?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
In addition to checking the city name, I'd also check different versions of "Lift Fitness Center" "Lift Family Gym" "Lift Center of Fitness", "Lift Fitness of ---- County", "Lift Health Center", "Lift 24 hr Fitness" "Lift Total Fitness" , I believe AN already suggested "Athletic Club" You get the picture.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kinda spiraled out of control here...my brother apparently thought we weren't going in on it and now has decided on a name and is rolling with it. My Gym. I tried to tell him today we still want to do it-we just wanted to have things hashed out beforehand, like a name, logo all those things, hours, who's working when blah blah. He said he checked on the name My Gym and it's not trademarked, just the monkey logo is, so he's completely stuck on My Gym and that's the end of the story. I still don't like it, and my husband doesn't either. Ithought we'd get a little say in the matter since we're joining in on it too, you know? So...I dunno what will happen b/c husband insisits we won't do it if it's named My Gym.

PULLING MY HAIR OUT

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am with your husband on this. That's not a partnership. Being cut out of such a decision is seriously detrimental to the relationship--personal and professional. I wouldn't want to be involved in something I had no say in beyond pumping money into.

Id be curious what happens when you tell him that in light of his decision to move forward without a team decision on the name, etc. you and your husband are going to step away from this whole thing and let him do it on his own, financially and all.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Husband called him quick before he had to go to work. I think a lot of it is a big misunderstanding. They both work opposite shifts, so there's no time but weekends to sit and talk about anything. JD's been gone a lot and is busy w/his hobbies at this time of the year and truth be told, is a one track mind when it comes to that stuff, so other things tend to get lost in the shuffle. My brother called me at work..hopefully the 30 minutes I spent talking and not working won't get me in trouble-HA!

He hadn't heard from us and didn't know if we still wanted to go in on it. The ball's got to get rolling if we're going to do this-possession date is January 1st, so he wants to have a name, logo, things cleared out and the business *out* there, as soon as possible..loans take time to go thru etc, so the longer we wait, that's all the more past the agreed upon possession date, and longer before we can get things rolling, which makes for less income to the business etc.

So, the name isn't completely taken off the table and he is open to suggestions. I told him I did an informal poll and nobody voted for My Gym. He's bummed b/c he thought it would be a name that is inclusive to everyone. My gym is your gym, my casa es su casa type thing, and he thought women would really be drawn to it..I told him basically everyone I polled was female and nobody liked it so..he's completely willing to consider other names, but it has to be decided quick fast and in a hurry and we need to come up w/a logo.

What he had thought for My Gym was My over a barbell, Gym underneath it. If we went w/Lift, the i could be a barbell, I think.

Thoughts? Anyone know how to paste something up quick?

I did also mention Bitch Tits and he said if that wouldn't turn some people off he'd be all over it hahaha!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some really rough ones based solely on his barbell thing. I literally spent like 3 minutes on this, using a low-res from a stock site for that barbell vector. All my ideas for Bitch Tits were NSFW. Or even for life, for that matter. But I laughed my ass off anyway.

LIFTGYMroughs.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, thanks Ame! Those are great! Nice to have an idea what things will look like. I looked at clip art and made some doodles this morning.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Love the mock-ups Ame!

Packrat, what if you used "my gym" as a tagline,

Like BIG LIFT LOGO with smaller "my gym" underneath it...also the domain liftmygym is available...

If he really likes my gym, what about "The Gym" I like it alot better...I would not go to a place called "my gym" :bigsmile:

I also like:

Flex (Flex Gym, Flex Fitness, whatever)
Absolute Gym or Absolute Fitness

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella, yeah I liked The Gym too..I think there's a chain of them already tho. I'm not sure how it works, using a name already in use? When I google the gym, I get some hits on it so I'm just not sure.

My doodles from this morning. My head is threatening to explode into a big mess of migraine and I couldn't draw any bigger/detailed w/out concentrating so we get tiny pencil lines. I'll try to explain them since they're hard to see..

Top, LIFT w/the I being a leaning dumbbell
Middle, barbell w/LIFT inside and curved barbell w/LIFT on top
Bottom, curved barbell w/LIFT inside..the next is a scribbled muscular arm holding a dumbbell w/LIFT inside the arm, and then some weird looking torso/head holding up a barbell w/LIFT above.

I got some clip art saved so maybe later I can play around and figure out how to get words on them..better visuals that way haha!

10-27-2011 7;24;04 AM.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also was working on one with a silhouette of a dude with the big weight bar thingie over his head but it was SO small and low-res I scrapped it. Keep in mind that this logo needs to be vector for the cleanest reproduction--especially when you get into shirts and signage in vinyl, and simple so that it can translate in black and white, color, and when TINY. Details are lost when you shrink it so the more simple and clean it is the better it will reproduce. Obviously if you go through Vector illustrations you'll find more barbells. Go to a place like istockphoto or shutterstock and search for illustrations and if an option comes up (I know SHutter gives it) for VECTOR, you want a vector to work from. You cannot use a direct vector from a site like that as a logo, it has to be a starting point, or get simplified from there. There are copyright limitations on that stuff, and most of the artists selling to those kinds of sites are not willing to allow anyone to use their stuff 100% as shown in a business' logo.

I like the idea of working the works into the bar.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say I've been reading all of your gym threads with interest, Packrat. I hope it works out, and I'm glad to hear the whole mess was just a big misunderstanding. I know how contentious family businesses can get when there's a communication breakdown, having just experienced the end to a 20+ year one, myself, so I'm sending lots of positive dust your way!

I love Ame's logos, so cool! Fingers still crossed that it becomes Lift!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

I think Lift just works the best. It seriously won my vote immediately.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone! I hope it's ok but I'm going to start another thread for name/logo ideas..maybe get some help doing mock ups or something. Plus, I was a little crabby yesterday afternoon when I updated-I read it this morning and thought WOW I can so tell the migraine had started! Crabby abby.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ill do my bestest to throw my four dollars into the ring.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1319682218|3048425 said:
Here are some really rough ones based solely on his barbell thing. I literally spent like 3 minutes on this, using a low-res from a stock site for that barbell vector. All my ideas for Bitch Tits were NSFW. Or even for life, for that matter. But I laughed my a$$ off anyway.

ame, nice work!!! :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results