shape
carat
color
clarity

The gym-revisited

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ABSolute (then gym small underneath) - If you want to serve a general public audience. With the right logo design it could be cool. Abs are big "sellers" in fitness, with ab machines making billions for years. Even the yoga people want flat tummies/abs. It's a thought.

When coming up with a name, try to keep the benefit in mind, or go for something purely memorable. And try to picture your market, who do you want to come in? Don't say "everybody" because that's a market that is saturated by other gyms and workout places. A niche market may start out smaller, but you are less likely to go out of business when a competitor comes to town. One Direction: The guy has been in business all these years because he serves a no-nonsense, grunter/lifter guy (fill me in if I'm wrong). Will the yoga ladies go for that? Are there really that many seniors interested in the gym? Maybe sell "muscle milk" and all those protein things into the lobby. Sponsor contests, do press releases when someone wins, donate machine time to the high school football team, chances are some players will come back. Do a press release on that. Advertise in the high school newspapers at the football games, it's so cheap! Build a website (keep it updated, or it's useless!!!!) with gym events, do a facebook page for the gym, and sell or give away as many T-shirts with your logo as possible. You want them all over town. Ladies fitness boxing will fill the place up with gawkers, and is so trendy. What about free trainers/sessions/classes? Sample classes, with a coupon, then they'll sign up for paying classes.

Well, you get the idea.

Narrow your focus, don't try to be all things to all people. Picture the person you want, and put yourself in their shoes. What do they want? What interests them? That's why Curves is so successful; they targeted their market.

Analyze what you bought; strengths and weaknesses, what did you buy, if not the name?
Analyze the competition
Decide who your market is
Decide your market's wants and needs, ask questions of them specifically. At least 10 people.
Meet those needs, brainstorm ideas
Then come up with a name that speaks to that market, IF you want to change it.
Publicize and promote- at least one event per month

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it gets named Lift, Haven, you get a lifetime membership.

We definitely will have tv's there!

I just can't get my mind around My Gym and I feel bad b/c I know he likes it so much. I'll write all the suggestions down the end of the week and we can all sit and discuss them. Hopefully we'll make some headway.

Eclipse? Frameworks? ha that sounds like an auto repair shop.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There might be a company already named this or something similar but BeneFIT or something? I just love Lift so much.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Lift is a great name for a gym. It's good for both men and women and doesn't sound offputting like some of the other names.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I like ABSolute too! I'd probably call it ABSolute Fitness (rather than Gym) if you go that direction.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Would it be a copyright violation to use something like iFit, iGym, etc? Maybe iBod as a pun on iPod? Kinda stretching here, but when I thought of modernizing the place like you mentioned, I thought of Apple and the "iGeneration." Would that alienate the older crowd? Dunno, just throwing more suggestions out there...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ABSolute made me think of Resolute. I would go to a gym named Resolute. I like the actual meaning of Resolute, and I also like that a synonym is "firm." :bigsmile:

Awesome advice from ILander--I feel like she should be charging for that! :cheeky:

Other ideas:
Evolve
Beast (I would totally go to a place called Beast Gym! I'd expect a bare bones weight room and a bunch of sweaty, grunting men.)
The Bar (We had a bar in college called The Library, and I've been to another one called The Office. I like that bar has gym-based connotations, and you can do a lot of great plays on words for ads.)

Does anyone know how to say "repetition" in other languages? Maybe there's a cool way to say it in some other language. Repetition Gym sounds weird, but I like the concept.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315759978|3015076 said:
decodelighted|1315759080|3015064 said:
Lift just works. Its so upLIFTing. Counteracts dread. Positive associations etc. However, my vote goes to Bitch Tits.
I totally agree. And you can't beat the free publicity you'll get naming a gym Bitch Tits. Headlines in every local paper: LOCAL GYM OPENS TO MIXED REACTIONS - IS BITCH TITS TAKING IT TOO FAR?

Hahahahahahaha

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I would never go to a place called "My Gym".

As I'm not much of formal gym-member since I don't like the local offerings, so I asked my In-House Spider Killer as he hits the gym 6 days a week. Unsurprisingly he suggested "Average Joes" and suggested you offer dodgeball classes. (Yep, he's helpful like that!) After filling him in on this thread he asked what the two main names were. He HATED "MyGym", said it sounded lame and wasn't that already taken as a kid's dorky gym's name already? He then asked the second suggestion, and upon hearing "Lift", his eyebrows went up, he smiled, and he said that was a really good name because it worked on a few levels.

Haven, total props for that name, we love it in this house. Packrat, if you're trying to get an idea on type per iLander's suggestion, my guy is a clean-cut marathoner in his 30s who primarily puts time in on cardio machines in front of a TV bank after work. I think it's awesome that you're getting involved in starting a new business; I hope with your influence and effort it takes off and prospers!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta say, I would go to a gym named bitch tits. I might not work out there but I'd definitely go there, pay for the little card that says bitch tits and be on my merry way.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
My Gym is a terrible name. Not surprised it is in use as a kid's gym; sounds like a line of children's toys!! Unless he plans to have a daycare in there, no way.

Lift is a great name, as it appeals to serious lifters AND fitness tourists who want to feel better about how they fit in their jeans. Your brother needs to read this thread.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Bitch Tits, this is Missi, how may I help you?" I like it. Think how cool that would look on shirts!! Or you could just answer the phone "Bitch Tits" hahahaha ohh that's funny.

I really am so fond of Lift for a name. More so than the current name, Victory Gym, which is ok but I like Lift better. I think it sounds good, women can relate to it, but it also is something that men can relate to as well, easy to say/understand, looks nice on a shirt and someone could come up w/a catchy logo for it I'm sure.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1315793051|3015504 said:
"Bitch Tits, this is Missi, how may I help you?" I like it. Think how cool that would look on shirts!! Or you could just answer the phone "Bitch Tits" hahahaha ohh that's funny.

:lol:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I just asked DH what he thought.

When I said "My Gym" he wrinkled up his nose and violently shook his head no.

When I said "Lift" he raised his eyebrows and nodded and said "yeah, that sounds cool."

DH is 27 and an engineer who prefers to work outdoors but will settle for time on the elliptical and some free weights if he can't enjoy fresh air.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dammit. I thought of a couple other names last night and got sidetracked so I didn't write them down..now I don't remember. Figures.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
I asked my boyfriend for his opinion and he said that "My Gym" was very reminiscent of "MySpace." He thought that it sounded rather corny... and then he started singing the song from the "My Buddy" doll commercials.

He definitely preferred "Lift." According to him, it's simple , up-to-date, and would appeal to a wider demographic ::)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My buddy and me like to climb up a tree, my buddy and me we're the beeest friends there could beeee

crap. Jeez Lexie thanks a LOT haha!

Lift is quite obviously the favorite and for good reason-good suggestion Haven! Hopefully I can get my brother to see it the way you guys do too!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asked my husband. Lift: "sounds good", intrigued. "mygym" "lame".

This is someone who went during a period of his life to gyms exclusively for weightlifting, and also goes to boxing gyms for workouts.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My DH always thought that 'Dammit Fat' would be a good gym name. I think Bitch Tits is hilarious. I really like Lift, though, because it just has so many positive connotations. FWIW, I'm a 30 year old female and we go to the local YMCA.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
So far, I like,

Lift
ABSolute
BeneFIT

My suggestions-

The Zone
BurnZone
FitZone
ToneZone.. :lol: okk, not really :tongue:
Flexx (I knew a gym by this name, always liked it)
Hardcore
PUSH

DH suggested 'Proteus' :confused:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
He also needs to be sure these aren't trademarked already. Obviously his first choice of my gym is.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the continued suggestions and help everyone! If there is a gym by that name elsewhere, does that mean it's trademarked?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes it can be. And if it's a chain it will definitely be. Also make sure you can get the domain name in both .com/.net format if at all possible, also.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Bitch Tits.
Get Big Tits While You LIFT.​

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOWEVER...Bitch Tits Gym .com/.net are both available..is it a sign? :lol:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1316046812|3017853 said:
HOWEVER...Bitch Tits Gym .com/.net are both available..is it a sign? :lol:

Hahahaha

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
What about PUMP?
Or Adrenaline?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good ones AN! Would you guys do Gym or..Fitness or anything after the name or would you just leave it like "Adrenaline" ..Adrenaline Fitness is taken I see.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1316048180|3017866 said:
Good ones AN! Would you guys do Gym or..Fitness or anything after the name or would you just leave it like "Adrenaline" ..Adrenaline Fitness is taken I see.

Hmmm....Adrenaline Athletic Club?

Pump Fitness or Pump in big letters and gym in smaller letters

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results