shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gluten-Free Life

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Would love to know your veggie soup recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing :D

Let me write it down and I will report back.:lol: For my soup, I don't follow a recipe I found online, I just made it up. And there's room for lots of variation depending upon what's in season or available. Everyone in my family loves it though, even my 5 year old! Honestly we eat soup year round even in the heat of summer here.

I love to use the spices turmeric and ginger (anti-inflammatory). Does anyone else cook with them? How about garlic?

Another thing I forgot to mention - fermented veggies are fantastic for gut health. If you don't have time to can your own (I don't) you can buy them online from RealPickles. They sell more than just pickles. The krauts are really good and we love the beets and carrots too. Good on salads or sandwiches. Lots of probiotics in fermented veggies. I like to also eat a lot of prebiotics like garlic and onion. It feeds the probiotics and balances out the bad bacteria in the gut. Good for skin and digestion issues in my humble experience.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I totally get that and frequently make it up as I go. But would love to hear what you add and how you do it. No pressure and please take your time.

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
I totally get that and frequently make it up as I go. But would love to hear what you add and how you do it. No pressure and please take your time.
Chop/cube 8 cups of vegetables - any cruciferous, root, onion and garlic optional. Add herbs (e.g parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano), spice (e.g cumin, fennel, coriander, tumeric ) Simmer 20-60 minutes depending on vegetables in mostly covered large stock pot (or slow cooker, rice cooker etc.)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I love dark leafy greens too! I make a big batch of veggie soup 2x week to eat daily with lunch. It always features either kale or spinach, which I can find organic in the frozen section. I also love chard, but don't see collard available as much.
I am also in love with mushrooms; shitake, baby bella, white button, etc. I cook with them almost every day in some fashion. :D

Sounds like we like the same things! :kiss2: I also love most anything umami!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soup is one of the very few things that I can’t follow a recipe for. Throwing things together…. it comes out great, if I follow a recipe…terrible :lol:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so glad to hear that you are giving it a try! I really do not think you'll be disappointed! I also love their hamburger style buns. They are really great for bbqs. I wrote to them and asked them to make a hotdog style bun, lol:lol: And they said it was in the works. I love to get Wild Alaskan salmon burgers and dogs from Vital Choice seafood online. My son actually can't digest beef so I am grateful he loves fish! One tip for HC bread is give it a light toasting before you make a sandwich. Somehow it improves the texture and it really then tastes like "regular" bread.

@GemmaBella I ordered the sampler pack of their four types of bread and also the hamburger buns. So far I’ve only tried the Buckwheat Molasses bread and it is very good! I don’t eat a ton of bread, so I put the other loaves in the freezer. Do you store their bread in the freezer? I’m hoping its texture holds up well once it’s been frozen. I always toast my gluten free bread before eating it too. It really does help to make it taste like “regular” bread.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Found at Aldi can’t beat $2.99! This by far is the best ice cream I’ve tried yet and it’s also dairy free. Wasn’t even looking for it, just happened to come across it while buying ice cream for the kids :)

A332575C-D2E8-4259-A81B-440C4C5F0767.jpeg
@YadaYadaYada I purchased this from Aldi in Mocha Fudge based on your recommendation and it is so delicious!! I plan to try the vanilla next and top it with strawberries or blueberries.

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
@GemmaBella I ordered the sampler pack of their four types of bread and also the hamburger buns. So far I’ve only tried the Buckwheat Molasses bread and it is very good! I don’t eat a ton of bread, so I put the other loaves in the freezer. Do you store their bread in the freezer? I’m hoping its texture holds up well once it’s been frozen. I always toast my gluten free bread before eating it too. It really does help to make it taste like “regular” bread.

Great! So glad you tried and liked. My father, who isn't even GF raved about their Hemp Hemp Hooray bread. Yes, I store their loaves in the freezer. They keep well and it doesn't effect the texture at all. I usually have a loaf in the fridge at any given time to make sandwiches with. Although I have toasted frozen slices no problem, no need to defrost first. My family eats a sandwich on their bread almost daily for lunch.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am wondering what you all are eating for breakfast? My cholesterol is high, so I’m trying to get away from eggs for breakfast, though I seem to feel best if I start the day with protein.
Does anyone have breakfast ideas that are gluten free, egg free, dairy free and oat free?
Thanks in advance :))

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
I am wondering what you all are eating for breakfast? My cholesterol is high, so I’m trying to get away from eggs for breakfast, though I seem to feel best if I start the day with protein.
Does anyone have breakfast ideas that are gluten free, egg free, dairy free and oat free?
Thanks in advance :))

I used to make sauteed veggies and chicken in coconut oil and lots of herbs for breakfast when I was first trying to clean up my leaky gut issues. I also love refried beans in an almond flour tortilla (Siete makes good ones). You could add rice or quinoa as well if it suites your diet plan. I would think beans would help with cholesterol issues while providing protein.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to make sauteed veggies and chicken in coconut oil and lots of herbs for breakfast when I was first trying to clean up my leaky gut issues. I also love refried beans in an almond flour tortilla (Siete makes good ones). You could add rice or quinoa as well if it suites your diet plan. I would think beans would help with cholesterol issues while providing protein.

These are great options! I have always had typical breakfast foods in the morning, but it’s time to step outside of the box and try some new things. The chicken and veggies sounds very good and I could even sprinkle beans in it. Thank you for the suggestions @GemmaBella !

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dietary cholesterol (ie eggs) isn’t usually a cause of high cholesterol so if you feel good eating protein for breakfast, eggs are a great choice. Obvious caveat is if you’ve been advised otherwise by a dietitian.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, I’ve been thinking about your breakfast conundrum and this morning thought of breakfast smoothies. You could add a scoop of protein powder that meets your dietary restrictions so you are getting some protein in.

You could do an egg white scramble if you want “real food”. I can’t drink my breakfast or the hunger doesn’t go away so I always end up with eggs and fruit, with coffee of course =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m loving my Instapot now that I’ve worked up the courage to use it lol!

Made this tonight and it was a big hit even with our somewhat lucky seven year old!

6D781E6D-5E0A-434C-B594-DA262884149E.jpeg

5311F070-2530-4C67-A4E8-2EBCEDC0A168.jpeg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada I made a zucchini lasagna the other day that was GF, and DH and I both loved it! We subbed turkey for the beef, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. We're not GF, but are trying to eat lower carb, leaner proteins, and more veggies. This suits the bill.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to try that @lala646, thanks for sharing! So glad the weather is cooler now, it is much more enjoyable to cook when it isn’t 90 degrees!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m obsessed with the Instapot lately. I tried this recipe tonight and it was excellent. Just a bit of caution to make sure whatever chicken stock you use is really GF if you are sensitive or allergic:

E69129C4-E945-4DD5-90A9-74F4E98A43FE.png

9F5A9A54-A450-4B1D-A6B4-5D77C369D0B6.jpeg

E85929E6-56A0-4194-A245-DCBEF7E788D6.jpeg

E71580DB-7685-405F-B7E4-C680322AB7C9.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Made this beef stew in the Instapot this week. Excellent recipe but if you have big eaters or want leftovers I recommend doubling the recipe.

Sorry for all the Instapot recipes but it’s literally how I cook dinner nearly every night.

CB2B6E8A-FD25-4193-9654-93DB34B9FEB1.jpeg

17034F64-5B77-4001-B108-31EF515FD0B4.jpeg

4020CE4B-4D25-4AE7-A04F-7E57C4704F6D.jpeg

BD2244BB-6877-47DF-8604-C4680F1602CD.jpeg

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I love when people go GF even without intolerances or celiac, because that means companies will keep making lots of GF products and for us celiacs that's awesome!
A tip for new GF ventures, varied-grain products seem to cook easier and taste better. As in a spaghetti noodle made of quinoa, brown rice, white rice, and corn, usually cooks and tastes better than just a rice noodle.

Lots of grocery stores have a frozen goody section specifically for gluten free goodies.

GF tortillas get just as soft and bendy and not breaking apart if you throw them in a warm frying pan for 10 seconds per side.

Superstore (canada) has fresh white bread that my non-celiac partner can't tell a difference to wheat bread, it's that good. We grab those and freeze them.

There is an app called Peel (looks like a banana icon) where you can take a photo of an ingredient list, and it will tell you what is gluten.

So so many canned soups are out. Gluten is a sticky binder, or thickener, so it's sneakily in many sauces and soups that people wouldn't think of. Took me years to find a canned tomato soup!

Oggi brand frozen pizzas are amazing. Walmart frozen section has bomb bagels.

People that invite me over for snacks, I always feel terrible when I say I can't eat their GF food they made specifically for me. If their wooden utensil they usually bake gluten bread with was used, it hides tiny crumbs that can contaminate the GF food you just made me. Or you used a peanut butter jar that you double dip when spreading on your gluten bread, which means the whole jar could be contaminated. Or your toaster. Or your stand mixer. It only takes 1/60th of a crumb (I kid you not) for me to feel like death for a few days to a week. It makes me happy if I can bring my own food, and not hurt anyones feelings.

If anyone has any questions about tips for GF eating ask anytime :)

*Forgot to add, xanthan gum is often in GF alternative foods and can cause belly aches, could also be affecting your rosacea? I'm not sure as I've never experienced rosacea but wanted to point out a known offending culprit.

Also, here is an extensive list of gluten containing foods and items incase anyone is curious! - https://celiac.org/gluten-free-living/what-is-gluten/sources-of-gluten/

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, I’ve been thinking about your breakfast conundrum and this morning thought of breakfast smoothies. You could add a scoop of protein powder that meets your dietary restrictions so you are getting some protein in.

You could do an egg white scramble if you want “real food”. I can’t drink my breakfast or the hunger doesn’t go away so I always end up with eggs and fruit, with coffee of course =)2

@YadaYadaYada I thought I had replied to you a while back, but must have forgot to hit post reply! A smoothie is a great idea and I plan to try it. I’m so set in my breakfast ritual that I‘m finding it hard to try something new!
Your Instapot recipes look delicious. I’ve been thinking about buying one..is there an Instapot model you would recommend?
I hope your gluten free lifestyle is going well :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I thought I had replied to you a while back, but must have forgot to hit post reply! A smoothie is a great idea and I plan to try it. I’m so set in my breakfast ritual that I‘m finding it hard to try something new!
Your Instapot recipes look delicious. I’ve been thinking about buying one..is there an Instapot model you would recommend?
I hope your gluten free lifestyle is going well :)

I hope you find something that works for you. Breakfast is tough, it’s the one meal I want to put the least effort into!

Let me check which model Instapot I have when I get home and I’ll let you know. I love mine, makes cooking so easy and it’s fast too! You might be able to get a great deal on one with the upcoming Black Friday sales.

I accidentally glutened (not a word I know) myself with Halloween candy more than once. Ugh! So my skin is a mess again but I’m still in the game ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, I have the Viva model in 8 quart size, it also comes in 6 quart.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, I have the Viva model in 8 quart size, it also comes in 6 quart.

Thank you for the info! I’m going to look for that one on a Black Friday sale :).

That’s too bad that you had a flare-up from getting glutened. Is that not a word…it’s used so much in the gluten free community that it should be!

I also wanted to mention that Aldi and TJ’s have special items for the holidays just in case you haven’t seen them yet. They already have things out for Thanksgiving like gluten free cornbread, stuffing and those little crispy onions to put on casseroles. It’s not low carb/healthy food, but it’s nice to have these options for holiday meals. Once it’s closer to Christmas, they have treats like gluten free Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s at TJ’s that I just can’t resist and end up buying a box.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, “glutened” is in the urban dictionary so I guess that makes it a word right? In any case, some things I thought were safe were absolutely not and yeah my skin is still angry about it. Oh well, it will get better with time anyways.

Thanks for the tip about Aldi and TJ, going to have to pop in and see what seasonal treats I can find! I didn’t even think about food during the upcoming holidays so thanks for that!

I’ll keep posting my Instapot recipes and hopefully you can find one at a great price. Honestly this is the best kitchen appliance I’ve bought in a long time.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mooshi, sorry for the delayed response, I didn’t get an aler about your post and just saw it today.

Xantham gum….didn’t know that could cause a flare with rosacea but I’ll have to look into it. I know dairy effects it but I’m not giving up cheese, I’d rather have a red face. Maybe that is a goal for next year though.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
@Mooshi, sorry for the delayed response, I didn’t get an aler about your post and just saw it today.

Xantham gum….didn’t know that could cause a flare with rosacea but I’ll have to look into it. I know dairy effects it but I’m not giving up cheese, I’d rather have a red face. Maybe that is a goal for next year though.

Oh I'm not sure it does, but thought I'd mention it as a belly aggravator. BTW have you tried apple cider vinegar topically? I've just happened upon it for some other skin conditions and it has been so soothing, got rid of some redness and itching. Wish I'd learned about it sooner so I thought I'd mention it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mooshi, I’ll give that a go too :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tried chili in the Instapot tonight along with GF cornbread muffins. It was a hit! The cornbread muffins were a box mix shown after the recipe. Note, I found this recipe on the internet, didn’t want anyone to think it was mine but the picture is mine ;-)
0E507206-2E0F-4712-8ADF-6693407C9F70.jpeg

Instapot Chili:

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp. tomato paste

1 1/2 lb. ground beef

2 c. low-sodium beef broth

1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes

1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. cayenne

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Shredded cheddar, for serving

Sour cream, for serving

Directions:

Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and add oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then add tomato paste, stirring to combine. Add ground beef and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 7 minutes. Drain fat, if necessary.

Return insert to Instant Pot and add broth, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Lock lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 14 minutes.

Do a slow release and add toppings

95E86DF6-BDEE-405E-9A35-CB8271524D7E.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada sorry I dropped the ball. Greg hasn’t had time to find his recipe for from scratch gluten free crust. But when he does I’ll share here.

In the meantime he baked apple pie with pre made (his first pre made crust) gluten free crust. I thought it was good. He gave it a grade of C though. Lol he’s a tough critic. He said it was hard to handle. Crumbly. But I honestly thought the pre made gluten free crust was tasty. We got it at Trader Joe’s. It’s the only pre made gluten free crust they carry. He’s going to give it another go now that he’s had experience with it. I’ll keep y’all posted. :)

The pie was yummy IMO.

6427E305-795F-4AE3-9970-509CD330B032.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results