clarity

The Gluten-Free Life

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in for a quick update since we are past the one month mark. I’ll spare you more face pictures since I don’t think much has changed there however there is one major accomplishment to report…..

I lost 10lbs!!!!!!

In the grand scheme that is not a lot but believe me getting that needle to move has been tough! I did manage two days of walking with the kids that got me over 10k steps. It’s a start, the idea is just to start slow and make it fun rather than a chore. That’s key I think, I’m more apt to take a walk with the kids because it gets them out of the house and they really enjoy it. Just to take a walk because I have to get so many steps in? Nah. So the kids will be out and about a lot this summer ;-)

I also tried another ice cream flavor and it was heavenly:

7FCA499C-7EE3-46C1-93BE-A4CB299992FF.jpeg

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in for a quick update since we are past the one month mark. I’ll spare you more face pictures since I don’t think much has changed there however there is one major accomplishment to report…..

I lost 10lbs!!!!!!

In the grand scheme that is not a lot but believe me getting that needle to move has been tough! I did manage two days of walking with the kids that got me over 10k steps. It’s a start, the idea is just to start slow and make it fun rather than a chore. That’s key I think, I’m more apt to take a walk with the kids because it gets them out of the house and they really enjoy it. Just to take a walk because I have to get so many steps in? Nah. So the kids will be out and about a lot this summer ;-)

I also tried another ice cream flavor and it was heavenly:

7FCA499C-7EE3-46C1-93BE-A4CB299992FF.jpeg

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

Awesome accomplishment @YadaYadaYada!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Losing 10 lbs in a month is a huge accomplishment! Congrats on your hard work paying off!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all!

New recipe for you guys AND a new Aldi discovery.

First up is the new Aldi item. Tonight I decided to make artichoke and chicken bake and wanted to find a pasta to go with it. I was looking at all the usual suspects and lamenting about the carb counts when I found this:

E01E4E6B-6A0B-4192-94FD-FC210D41E750.jpeg 8565A89C-CC6B-4B2A-A6AF-B916227B6C8B.jpeg

Now I know that black spaghetti is not the most appetizing looking but it was really good. Of course if you are avoiding soy this won’t work for you but otherwise it’s a great option when you want a noodle. Here is what it looks like cooked (yup, looks like something you would make for Halloween!)

33E67B0A-840A-4D15-9000-577C65BA505C.jpeg

I’ve also discovered that the Turkey Hill mint chocolate chip ice cream I bought the kids is gluten free AND happens to have a lower sugar and carb count then the dairy free options.

Here is the recipe for the chicken bake, I combined this with the Aldi noodles and steamed broccoli. I do make a few substations, no Pam in our house so I coat the pan with olive oil. I also sub plain Greek yogurt for the Mayo and use boneless thin sliced chicken breasts (one package is usually good) because they cook quicker. Here is the recipe:

57F441DC-4CAD-49EB-9B9D-781F24AA4BEA.jpeg

6AAE7299-1917-4489-BF6E-BD5D75328A34.jpeg

DD781190-1EF1-4270-837A-8B84B1546144.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all!

New recipe for you guys AND a new Aldi discovery.

First up is the new Aldi item. Tonight I decided to make artichoke and chicken bake and wanted to find a pasta to go with it. I was looking at all the usual suspects and lamenting about the carb counts when I found this:

E01E4E6B-6A0B-4192-94FD-FC210D41E750.jpeg 8565A89C-CC6B-4B2A-A6AF-B916227B6C8B.jpeg

Now I know that black spaghetti is not the most appetizing looking but it was really good. Of course if you are avoiding soy this won’t work for you but otherwise it’s a great option when you want a noodle. Here is what it looks like cooked (yup, looks like something you would make for Halloween!)

33E67B0A-840A-4D15-9000-577C65BA505C.jpeg

I’ve also discovered that the Turkey Hill mint chocolate chip ice cream I bought the kids is gluten free AND happens to have a lower sugar and carb count then the dairy free options.

Here is the recipe for the chicken bake, I combined this with the Aldi noodles and steamed broccoli. I do make a few substations, no Pam in our house so I coat the pan with olive oil. I also sub plain Greek yogurt for the Mayo and use boneless thin sliced chicken breasts (one package is usually good) because they cook quicker. Here is the recipe:

57F441DC-4CAD-49EB-9B9D-781F24AA4BEA.jpeg

6AAE7299-1917-4489-BF6E-BD5D75328A34.jpeg

DD781190-1EF1-4270-837A-8B84B1546144.jpeg

This sounds yummy, and the black noodles look good!
I'm glad your family doesn't turn their noses up to "different" foods!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds yummy, and the black noodles look good!
I'm glad your family doesn't turn their noses up to "different" foods!

Well full disclosure, I made egg noodles for DH and the kids BUT my older son did try them and said they tasted better than they looked! Normally I make rice with the chicken bake but then I have to make brown and white because DH doesn’t like brown rice.

I keep telling him once the kids are gone it’s canned soup for dinner every night ;-)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000…old people love Campbells lol! Replace Campbells with Progresso, I love their chicken and wild rice although I know homemade is so much better. I love soup and will eat it no matter how hot it is out, makes DH sick lol!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada those black noodles look delish! It reminds me of green spaghetti my mom used to make us when we were little (1970s) and she added cottage cheese (I know it sounds gross but it was yummy) and sugar. It was really delicious and for some reason the black spaghetti looks like it would taste like the green spaghetti did.

We enjoyed a wonderful gluten free meal with friends the other day. I didn't even think to take pics til we were done eating and cleaning up but then I remembered this thread and thought better late than never. I apologize for the lack of prettiness in this photo. I will do better next time.

We had grilled cod with lemon, sweet potatoes and gluten free rice pasta (from Trader Joe's). They have a whole list of gluten free foods that you can get when you go to TJs. It's literally pages and pages long and it is available to anyone who asks. It is easier than ever to find gluten free delicious food.

glutenfreemeal.png

For dessert we had fruit salad and watermelon and gluten free cookies from the supermarket. Greg and our guests really enjoyed the gluten free cookies. I didn't have them so I cannot share my opinion on them. I prefer naturally gluten free food generally. And am not a cookie person anyway. Ice cream yes. Cookies? Only if they are in my ice cream. :lol:

melonandgrapesalad.png

glutenfreelemoncookies.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so right about GF free being so much easier to find @missy. My older son was on a GF diet for a short time when he was younger and it was impossible to find food that tasted good and didn’t cost a lot.

Your dinner looks delicious, love cod, all of it looks very tasty. The cookies look good too but nothing beats a fresh fruit salad.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our Aldi here (UK) had lentil and beetroot pasta recently, and it was really delicious @YadaYadaYada. Well done on your weight loss! :appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh, I wish we had that one here @Austina! The weight loss is hard, so hard but I’m determined!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I woke up yesterday morning and was shocked, one side of my face had almost no redness at all! It was almost like waking up thin, still waiting for that miracle to happen!

0811EE5F-B400-492E-92B9-B5F229C4BB00.jpeg

Unfortunately it did get more red during the day and after dinner, starting to wonder if the tomatoes I ate might be the culprit. I know nightshades can be an issue for some. Again, this isn’t about the rosacea but using it as a gauge for digestive health. Giving up tomatoes would be a bummer so this warrants more trial before eliminating them completely.

I did try some dairy free dessert last night and won’t be buying it again. Cashew milk ice cream or even coconut milk has a better consistency and flavor. Doesn’t hurt to try though, this was what I bought:

ECD3D27E-2F34-48A4-AF18-DEF35FDC93D3.jpeg

If anyone has a GF lower carb ice cream recommendation, please share!

I saw that you lost 10 lb. Congrats! Lord knows I could stand to lose some pounds.

On the ice cream thing, I am largely lactose intolerant. I finally admitted it recently. Talenti has sorbets and sorbetto that is good. That avocado ice cream is weird. It tastes like an oil slick. I also like the so delicious cashew milk ice cream that you linked.

The one ice cream I really like a lot though and I don't know if it's lower carb or lower sugar but I think it might be is by planet oat.

The oat milk ice cream is actually really good, I think.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that you lost 10 lb. Congrats! Lord knows I could stand to lose some pounds.

On the ice cream thing, I am largely lactose intolerant. I finally admitted it recently. Talenti has sorbets and sorbetto that is good. That avocado ice cream is weird. It tastes like an oil slick. I also like the so delicious cashew milk ice cream that you linked.

The one ice cream I really like a lot though and I don't know if it's lower carb or lower sugar but I think it might be is by planet oat.

The oat milk ice cream is actually really good, I think.

Sorry, I didn’t get a notification for this so I’m just seeing it.

I agree that the avocado ice cream is just awful, I just found it to have a really strange taste. Haven’t tried the oat milk so I’ll have to give it a try, I saw it today at Target actually.

Thanks about the weight loss, it is such a struggle!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is our son’s 7th birthday and of course he decided on ice cream cake, can’t fault him as it is so good. Unfortunately not on my menu, so we went to an allergy friendly bakery in CT called Dee’s One Smart Cookie in Glastonbury to find a treat for me.

I left with a box of goodies but for tonight I had a lemon whoopie pie with fresh raspberry “butter” cream frosting. It was very good, the frosting was a bit too sweet but not going to complain.

32E1D626-0D4E-43F7-A1F0-762211B15541.jpeg

A7076FF2-BFBC-46DD-963E-0445A8C03C8F.jpeg

And of course a picture of the birthday boy, this sums up his personality :)

1C8B9322-DA0D-436A-88A7-FBFE21CCD741.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is our son’s 7th birthday and of course he decided on ice cream cake, can’t fault him as it is so good. Unfortunately not on my menu, so we went to an allergy friendly bakery in CT called Dee’s One Smart Cookie in Glastonbury to find a treat for me.

I left with a box of goodies but for tonight I had a lemon whoopie pie with fresh raspberry “butter” cream frosting. It was very good, the frosting was a bit too sweet but not going to complain.

32E1D626-0D4E-43F7-A1F0-762211B15541.jpeg

A7076FF2-BFBC-46DD-963E-0445A8C03C8F.jpeg

And of course a picture of the birthday boy, this sums up his personality :)

1C8B9322-DA0D-436A-88A7-FBFE21CCD741.jpeg

Happy "7" to the birthday boy!
It must be lots of fun at Casa Yada!
I still wanna come by to try on all your bling....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy "7" to the birthday boy!
It must be lots of fun at Casa Yada!
I still wanna come by to try on all your bling....

Anytime you’re in town :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I believe in sharing the good and the not so good, I’m sharing these.

Found these at Marshall’s in an assortment of flavors. First the good, the flavors are excellent, especially the pistachio. Not so good…. the texture, they are crumbly and if you have had a “regular” one then you know part of the experience is that soft chewy bite.

Anyways, they are not so terrible that I will throw them away but I won’t buy them again.

F513F468-541C-460A-A61B-E840716AA9E4.jpeg

C09BF002-AC34-4BF6-860C-BC355CECA8BF.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found these at Stop and Shop, each bagel is only 100 calories and 19 grams of carbs. I’ve been trying to limit dairy but I do put mascarpone cheese on these after toasting them. So good, they are bagel thins but just enough with some eggs.

69945AA9-042C-4D25-8EDD-76972AACD35A.jpeg

60FC5229-33B0-4EC2-82B6-96034C9E58FB.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many great gluten-free bakery options these days.
And now we can buy alternative flours and bake at home. What progress!
I am a pasta lover, but any noodle is good for me!
I really love soba noodles at the Japanese restaurant, and rice noodles at the Vietnamese restaurant.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Found these at Stop and Shop, each bagel is only 100 calories and 19 grams of carbs. I’ve been trying to limit dairy but I do put mascarpone cheese on these after toasting them. So good, they are bagel thins but just enough with some eggs.

69945AA9-042C-4D25-8EDD-76972AACD35A.jpeg

60FC5229-33B0-4EC2-82B6-96034C9E58FB.jpeg

Those look so good! I’ve tried the plain version, but haven’t seen the everything bagels. I’m adding it to my grocery list!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was really good, had a salad with it, both the kids liked it too so it’s a winner!

CADC132E-9E1D-47DD-91EA-48F220F60902.jpeg

47B7B629-4F7D-4CB6-8EEC-199D4BEC7508.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hesitant to post these but if you promise to ignore the hair! The first picture was taken on a super hot day at our son’s 8th grade graduation outside in 100 degree heat! Today’s hair is from helping the younger one learn how to roller skate.

Anyways

June 7th
3CC4CD95-ADB7-48B4-A02D-862608093EFB.jpeg

One day away from 2 months GF
89A6D2F3-420D-4179-9AC0-B3E3DF6BF7ED.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a difference there!
Hopefully, with more time you will see even better results!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah a little bit, I think to see a more significant change I probably have to drop dairy. It’s typically suggested to eliminate gluten and dairy for PCOS. One step at a time!

Thanks @2Neezers, I do feel less bloated and lighter so that’s a plus too!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look wonderful @YadaYadaYada !

Wanted to share my last discovery: authentic French buckwheat Crêpes. Whenever one has savoury Crêpes here in France they're made of buckwheat flour. I've seen a lot of English language recipes that involve lots of eggs and milk for this recipe, but the authentic recipe from Brittany is very clean:

• 330 g buckwheat flour
  • 75 ml cold water
  • 10 g salt
  • 1 egg

Mix everything together and let it sit (min. 1 hour, overnight is good too).

It makes very hearty crêpes that are much more filling than regular ones, I find.

Our favourite Toppings:

- Fresh spring onion, smoked salmon (or haddock) and crème fraîche

- tuna , red onion, cheddar

- Fried egg , bacon, cheddar

- ham, roast onion , cheddar

- cherry tomato & fresh pesto

Green salad as a side

My children really like it and compared to regular pancakes or crêpes the batter is gluten, dairy & sugar free.

We like that we can serve everyone their favourite topping without much hassle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results