color
clarity

The Fire Thread!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/18/2006 3:15:13 PM
Author: widget
Looky! I got some color! Not quite as spectacular as yours, Ellen....but I''m working on it.
1.gif
(Garry''s ''steady hand'' tip helped a lot.)

widget
WOW those are great photos of your 3 stone. I guess I just don''t have "steady hands." What''s a girl to do but practice?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 8:31:41 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
that is stunning Dhog

This is the 9.02ct F strong blue fluoro I sold last year - see how firey it is under a tree with broad leaves - and so much for cloudy fluoro diamonds!!!!

Note the out of focus shots
2.gif
- same diamond - all shots taken at the same time
I''m so glad you posted this! I have been trying to get a pic of what my OEC looks like on overcast days...and this is very close. I have described it as an oil slick inside the diamond...it has all those cool colors you see reflected in an oily puddle. I''ll try to get some new fire pics, though, to contribute to this thread!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
See in this pic, how to the right of center, two facets are lit up with rainbows, but they are not shooting light out? That's what the whole ring looks like on overcast days or under trees. Is that considered fire?

ETA, please ignore how filthy the stone is...I hadn't cleaned it...whoops.

OEC23fire.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And some of my favorite fire shots:

BlindShots0101.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And on the hand. I feel like this one does a good job of showing what I see a lot. Though my stone does go very dark in direct light a lot of the time. I look over at other woman''s rings in restaurants and they don''t sparkle, but they look white. Whereas, mine is dark, but throws fire all the time.

greenfireonhand.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
One more I find interesting. It looks like the rainbows are liquid and flowing or moving through the air as I took the shot...weird.

Rainbows 018med1.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2006 10:20:14 AM
Author: FacetFire
And on the hand. I feel like this one does a good job of showing what I see a lot. Though my stone does go very dark in direct light a lot of the time. I look over at other woman''s rings in restaurants and they don''t sparkle, but they look white. Whereas, mine is dark, but throws fire all the time.
yours has really good white light return as well though!! But I know what you mean, mine is a fire thrower too, lots of sparkle and color. I love your stone :)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Facetfire! Lots of colored light flying off that baby!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone Hunter, thank you!

Facet Fire, I''ve been waiting for you to post, after seeing your ring thread. Just gotta say again, I LOVE your ring, glad you posted!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your ring FacetFire, talk about fire!!! Yowza!!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget and Gary, I thought of these posts yesterday and wanted to comment. Yesterday I was stuck in traffic waiting for a train. The afternoon sun was coming straight in my window and hitting my ring. As I looked at it and moved it a bit, I actually saw the flairs like the one in this pic of widget's I'll post. As I moved it ever so slightly, it went through the whole color spectrum, and stayed in the flared dome shape, about an inch high. It was phenominal, I'd never seen my ring do that "in person" (instead of on film) to that extent. So it's not just camera tricks, it happens! And all I could think was, I don't have my camera.
9.gif

Oops, forgot the quotes!

Thanks, Garry.

That picture you referenced is the ONLY one out of about a million attempts where diamond itself is actually in focus....

I have a question...while you're here...: Which is a better example of 'Fire'...colors reflected off the stone itself...sort of like this OMC below (or even better, Cehra's avatar), or flying around in space?

Aren't these 'bombs bursting in air' more camera tricks than realistic examples of 'fire'??

widget

Yes Widget - some of that is I think inter lens flare - most camera lenses are multiple sets of lenses used to remove chromatic distortion. Rhino was discussing some human optical abberrations - but cameras have a lot more. It was one of the problems I had with the brilliancescope - where the flare the camera sees is not the same as a human eye would see. I guess also the sensitivity of the CCD capture or film exposure etc - that is another thing that makes some of this thread lots of fun - but not like what we see unless we make our eyes deliberately out of focus etc

000_39301.jpg

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I just took a few photos of my asscher after my fiancee brought home flowers, and this was the first batch of photos where I saw fire. I''ve so enjoyed everyone else''s photos, and I wanted to add one of my own!

DSCN1271_2.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow!!

I wonder if this damages the CCD'' units in your camera''s?

Date: 10/21/2006 3:48:02 PM
Author: Ellen

widget and Gary, I thought of these posts yesterday and wanted to comment. Yesterday I was stuck in traffic waiting for a train. The afternoon sun was coming straight in my window and hitting my ring. As I looked at it and moved it a bit, I actually saw the flairs like the one in this pic of widget''s I''ll post. As I moved it ever so slightly, it went through the whole color spectrum, and stayed in the flared dome shape, about an inch high. It was phenominal, I''d never seen my ring do that ''in person'' (instead of on film) to that extent. So it''s not just camera tricks, it happens! And all I could think was, I don''t have my camera.
9.gif

Ellen - there was a link (i cant find) to something on the Moscow Uni site from Serg and Yuri that showed many still shots of a diamond showing dispersion (not fire as you guys are defining it) moving thru the spectrum as a ring or the light moves. Wish I could find the link - it was about 5 pages ago - but i had a busy weekend giving away my eldest darling daughter.

Oops, forgot the quotes!

Thanks, Garry.

That picture you referenced is the ONLY one out of about a million attempts where diamond itself is actually in focus....

I have a question...while you''re here...: Which is a better example of ''Fire''...colors reflected off the stone itself...sort of like this OMC below (or even better, Cehra''s avatar), or flying around in space?

Aren''t these ''bombs bursting in air'' more camera tricks than realistic examples of ''fire''??

widget

Yes Widget - some of that is I think inter lens flare - most camera lenses are multiple sets of lenses used to remove chromatic distortion. Rhino was discussing some human optical abberrations - but cameras have a lot more. It was one of the problems I had with the brilliancescope - where the flare the camera sees is not the same as a human eye would see. I guess also the sensitivity of the CCD capture or film exposure etc - that is another thing that makes some of this thread lots of fun - but not like what we see unless we make our eyes deliberately out of focus etc

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats garry!!!! Daddy in law! :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
piccolascimmia, gorgeous!! More please?

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 11:57:09 AM

Thank you! I''m at work w/o the new photos, but my original thread is here. I''ll be happy to post other firey photos from the latest batch of photos once I get home tonight if anyone''s interested...

pinkrose

Rough_Rock
These are all so gorgeous. keep them coming pls!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 3:02:42 PM
Author: piccolascimmia

Date: 10/23/2006 11:57:09 AM

Thank you! I'm at work w/o the new photos, but my original thread is here. I'll be happy to post other firey photos from the latest batch of photos once I get home tonight if anyone's interested...
I'd love to see more fire shots, post away!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

widget and Gary, I thought of these posts yesterday and wanted to comment. Yesterday I was stuck in traffic waiting for a train. The afternoon sun was coming straight in my window and hitting my ring. As I looked at it and moved it a bit, I actually saw the flairs like the one in this pic of widget''s I''ll post. As I moved it ever so slightly, it went through the whole color spectrum, and stayed in the flared dome shape, about an inch high. It was phenominal, I''d never seen my ring do that ''in person'' (instead of on film) to that extent. So it''s not just camera tricks, it happens! And all I could think was, I don''t have my camera.
9.gif

Thanks, Garry.
Ellen here is the link I was looking for - there is not the intensity of color - but I think it shows some of what you mean?

www.gemology.ru/cut/english/grading1/5.htm

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary, no, what that link pulls up is nothing like what I saw/described. Are you sure you meant to post that page?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 4:23:51 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

9.gif

Thanks, Garry.
Ellen here is the link I was looking for - there is not the intensity of color - but I think it shows some of what you mean?

www.gemology.ru/cut/english/grading1/5.htm
I call those refractions... I know they''re all refractions, but in a way they''re all fire too LOL Fire leaps out and tries to blind you, refractions ooze through the spectrum across the stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 9:12:55 AM
Gary, no, what that link pulls up is nothing like what I saw/described. Are you sure you meant to post that page?
I know what you''re talking about Ellen... with my big facets I can do what you described very easily - very very very very easily LOL I''ve burnt my retinas a couple times. I''m a *dork*!! I can''t remember my diamond anymore ::sob::

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please do similar tests with Mirror( small piece of Mirror) .

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ok.. I admit it, I am about to commit a faux pas... I know that this fire is not the same as all the others... but that is what I call my ring when I describe her.... and plus.. it is a chance to post more pictures!!

saoneonesayfire5.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock

someonessyayfire3.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
...fire fire

didsomesayfire.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock

sfomeonesaidrealrealfire.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results