shape
carat
color
clarity

The deals really are on EBay!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few jewelry sellers I follow on IG, this week a rose cut diamond band was listed for sale by one. Curious I decided to check and see if it was bought on EBay, well sure enough that same ring for sale at over $900 was bought for under $300. Exact same ring and it didn't look like anything was done to it just a good old flip job.

Also this week an Art Deco ring came up for sale from another seller, this one I found on EBay was bought for $350 being sold now for $895 and again it doesn't look any different.

The point in all of this is that yes there are great sellers on IG with really pretty things but if you are diligent you can probably find those exact same sparklies yourself for a whole lot less. Maybe some sellers are putting money into some rehab but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my country our online auction site has put on hold all non essential items - couriers have been told to only pick up and deliver essentials and bricks and mortar stores that have online options but that are not engaged in essential services can not trade while we are in lock down

i see Pearl Paradise is having a 20% off sale
sigh

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Daisys and Diamonds that is pretty restrictive but probably a smarter way to go, I'm sure they are very busy with the uptick in necessary supplies, why overload the couriers with all the other stuff.

We are under a "shelter in place" and it seems a lot of folks are shopping online, last week alone I sold two rings! I think people are looking for anything to cheer them up!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow @Daisys and Diamonds that is pretty restrictive but probably a smarter way to go, I'm sure they are very busy with the uptick in necessary supplies, why overload the couriers with all the other stuff.

We are under a "shelter in place" and it seems a lot of folks are shopping online, last week alone I sold two rings! I think people are looking for anything to cheer them up!

i actually thought it would be a good time to buy, help some money go around but it is what it is right now for the duration
i must say im a bit disgusted if bussiness choose to put their prices up right now with no good reason other than plain greed

happy bargain hunting

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ebay does have good deals. Just got this art deco/ edwardian 14k white gold ring with old cut diamonds (are cushiony shape so could be mine cut) and lab emeralds for $300. Yes is does have some wear on the band, but cleaned it and for the delicate work on a piece of history (looks like it has initials on inside of band) and art, it was a great deal :)

20200325_134208.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, I hear you, we have been getting coffee to go from our favorite shop daily to try to help them stay afloat.

@userangl28212003, that is a great deal! Even if I was considering purchasing either of the rings I saw there is no way I could stomach having to pay that much more. I get that there is a market for people who don't like to hunt but for me hunting is part of the fun.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, I hear you, we have been getting coffee to go from our favorite shop daily to try to help them stay afloat.

@userangl28212003, that is a great deal! Even if I was considering purchasing either of the rings I saw there is no way I could stomach having to pay that much more. I get that there is a market for people who don't like to hunt but for me hunting is part of the fun.

As I sit at home I have been browsing for a few days, and saw ones I loved for a little more, but would have to be resized significantly and didn't want to deal with that unless the sellers could provide sizing or ones real similar (probably a little better condition) for like three times the price. I saw this one i loved and in my size already. Waited 2 days to decide and debate to spend the money, and it was still there so I snatched it up and I am so glad. It is really hard to find a ring like that for $300 in the right size :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few jewelry sellers I follow on IG, this week a rose cut diamond band was listed for sale by one. Curious I decided to check and see if it was bought on EBay, well sure enough that same ring for sale at over $900 was bought for under $300. Exact same ring and it didn't look like anything was done to it just a good old flip job.

Also this week an Art Deco ring came up for sale from another seller, this one I found on EBay was bought for $350 being sold now for $895 and again it doesn't look any different.

The point in all of this is that yes there are great sellers on IG with really pretty things but if you are diligent you can probably find those exact same sparklies yourself for a whole lot less. Maybe some sellers are putting money into some rehab but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.

I think you have an eye for these things Stephanie! eBay is a vast world and it can be hard to find treasures, but you seem to always find some!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have an eye for these things Stephanie! eBay is a vast world and it can be hard to find treasures, but you seem to always find some!

Oh you are too sweet! There is a lot of good stuff but you have to weed through a lot of junk sometimes!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my eBay but with the Aussie dollar HALF the US dollar (making everything twice as expensive) and international shipping being questionable (no signed for delivery options available) I’m not buying anything.
I last “needed” something about 8 years ago.
Sadly all our bricks and mortar Auction houses are closed.
They are still proceeding with on line auctions (no in person inspections permitted) but only with an approved delivery service to deliver items to the auction house and to the deliver to the buyer. While it’s fair to pay like $100 to deliver a couch or table and chairs, there’s a base price of $75 for anything. So who is going to send a $200 ring to pay $75 to get it there, then pay 20% auction fee. Who is going to buy $200 ring and pay 25% purchase commission and also $75 to get it delivered?
Well certainly not me!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357, that is so frustrating and you're right it wouldn't really make sense to pay some exorbitant shipping fee for a piece of jewelry. You do have quite the amazing collection already though and let's face it EBay is a lot different than it used to be.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock

It might be a weird question.... but what is IG?!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I don’t even know how to look for deals on Ebay. Please educate me. I have ebay app.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t even know how to look for deals on Ebay. Please educate me. I have ebay app.
Same! I feel like it needs a lot of looking first to get my eye in and I never really have the time.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@joelly, it really depends on what you're looking for and honestly there is a lot of scrolling involved. I've found if you want to find an old cut diamond around a one carat size a little less expensive you can sometimes find good deals in men's old rings. You might also find a nice diamond in a single earring or find the perfect cluster diamond ring is actually a brooch or stick pin that needs to be converted.

It does help to be in the right place at the right time and think outside the box.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even when I put it the search art deco diamond filigree ring specifically I did scroll a lot to find the one I bought on ebay as well as etsy

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I just don't know who to trust on Ebay? ! Anyone care to name reliable shops?

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just don't know who to trust on Ebay? ! Anyone care to name reliable shops?

The only store on ebay I fully trust is mydiamondzone/ ivy and rose vintage because I bought many things from them and they do have their own website. I mainly look at the sellers reviews and I have a gold and gem tester, so if not as advertised I can return it.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
But are their prices on ebay cheaper? I've bought from Ivy n Rose, but I pd full retail. :(

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE, I have never had a terrible experience on EBay, I do stick to a couple of rules though. First I make sure there is a return policy and a decent one at that. Also I check the feedback and try to buy from sellers with a close to 100% feedback as possible. When Toolhaus was up and running you could see all feedback which was really helpful.

Worst experiences I've had were on Goodwill's auction site, one ring was supposed to be gold and was plated and the other one was supposed to be white gold (14k stamp and all) and turned out to be silver! It was a silver ring that had been cast from a gold ring and the stamp transferred over! I did get my money back but I'm really not buying from them anymore.

There is also Mercari, good deals there but you have to be super careful since you can only get a refund for a select few reasons and it has to be a full return. So for example if you buy what is advertised as a one carat diamond ring and it's only 3/4 but you really like the diamond and would keep it for a partial credit it's not an option. You either keep the ring or return it.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But are their prices on ebay cheaper? I've bought from Ivy n Rose, but I pd full retail. :(

No they are not, but there settings and rings are cheaper than most vendors I have seen. I got this .35ct vs1 diamond (which is very white face up) and sapphire art deco ring for $550 and after researching, that was a cheap price compared to similar rings I saw online. Also they cleaned and polished it getting rid of scratched for free before sending it out, which most ebay vendors won't do for you.

s-l500 (2).jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Oh @userangl28212003 , if I haven't told you , I loooove that ring!
@StephanieLynn After I read about that happening to you, I was worried that my goodwill platinum setting might be fake too! So I bought a testing kit. Mine tested plat, but I quit buying on there too. Too shady.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE, that is good news! I have all my jewelry looked over by a gemologist/appraiser just to be safe no matter where I buy it from.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy a bit on eBay, and I have not had a bad experience.
I look for sellers who do not deal in large amounts of jewelry. I prefer sellers who list household items, and have a few of grandma's old pieces listed. These kinds of dealers have the best prices. But they seldom know any stats, so you have to be sure you know what you are looking at.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Grandma's Old Pieces" would be a great name for an Ebay shop.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Or how about this one: “It used to be that only Grandpa was interested in what Grandma had”.
Yes, that is naughty ;)2.. and , BTW, I am not making it up. I saw it on a sign in an antique shop years ago!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results