shape
carat
color
clarity

The Big DIY Thread

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
My love for paper has ballooned tenfold since I started wedding planning. I seriously think I have a problem!

Below are my Save the Dates. We weren''t planning on printing any but we already know of 2 other weddings on the same date as ours so I went into panic mode.

I designed it using Publisher and found an inexpensive letterpress company that printed them for me on 140-lb cold pressed watercolour paper that I supplied. I then designed a leaf motif and printed them on the STDs with my gocco.

Finally, a friend of ours took some engagement photos for us in August. I did some post-processing in Photoscape and made 1" stickers with my xyron. Oh, one more thing...I hand cut envelope liners from scrapbooking paper.

It was truly a labour of love...and our invites will be the same!

STD12345.jpg

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Me again!

Last weekend I participated in a ''Letterpress Curiosity Workshop'' with Tanya from snap & tumble (for you Toronto-area brides!). It was such a fun experience! I''m seriously considering purchasing my very own tabletop press!

Below are pics of the letterpress machine and the metal type we selected from...seriously...so much fun!

letterpresscw3.jpg

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
And since I don''t know how to post multiple pics in one post (without making a collage in Paint), here''s a pic of some of the cards I made. The thank you cards will be used post-wedding...I''ll most likely be adding a design printed with my gocco. The ''hello'' cards will be used as personalized stationery gifts.

If any of you PSers have the opportunity to learn and try letterpress, I highly recommend it! I''ve honestly been dreaming about it since....

letterpress2sj.jpg

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 10:19:20 PM
Author: sammyj
My love for paper has ballooned tenfold since I started wedding planning. I seriously think I have a problem!

Below are my Save the Dates. We weren''t planning on printing any but we already know of 2 other weddings on the same date as ours so I went into panic mode.

I designed it using Publisher and found an inexpensive letterpress company that printed them for me on 140-lb cold pressed watercolour paper that I supplied. I then designed a leaf motif and printed them on the STDs with my gocco.

Finally, a friend of ours took some engagement photos for us in August. I did some post-processing in Photoscape and made 1'' stickers with my xyron. Oh, one more thing...I hand cut envelope liners from scrapbooking paper.

It was truly a labour of love...and our invites will be the same!
Sammyj: Can you please share the letterpress company that you used? Your save the dates are gorgeous! You did a great job!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
My bling letters...

blingletters343.jpg

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Sammyj, they look GREAT!!!

Alexis, what a good job! They''re so lovely!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Our DIY flowers...my bouquet

2bellasbouquet.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
bridesmaids bouquet.

We DIYed pretty much everything, but we really loved our invites. I''ll see if I can find some pics to post later today...

2bridesmaidsbouquets100309.jpg

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my take on the paper doll chain / Will You Be My Bridesmaid? project.

linky

diy bm pic 123.jpg

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my DIY heart milagro Save-the-Date magnet...

thread

milagro save the date 00612.JPG

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my DIY flower girl baskets
9.gif
!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-diy-flower-girl-baskets.136337/

DSC03518.JPG

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Super cute DIY idea...

it''s mini pies in a jar... so very perishable (freezable however)... perfect for a small summertime or local wedding... or an adorable gift for other times too!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:40:54 PM
Author: trillionaire
Super cute DIY idea...

it''s mini pies in a jar... so very perishable (freezable however)... perfect for a small summertime or local wedding... or an adorable gift for other times too!
ah man! i wish i knew about this three months ago!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:40:54 PM
Author: trillionaire
Super cute DIY idea...

I am DEFINITELY bookmarking that recipe, Trill! You always post such interesting DIY and creatively inexpensive ideas for wedding related stuff. I enjoy those posts so much!

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would add my DIY table numbers to this lovely thread! :) My SIL custom designed the floral design and we have used it in various ways throughout my wedding from STD's, Website, Invitations etc.

DIYtablenumbers.jpg

Your table numbers are very attractive and elegant. Good job!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Here is the bouquet I just finished made out of Deco Clay (http://decoclay.com/). What do you think? It was very time consuming, too time consuming to make BM bouquets (getting from costco), I did make buttoniers and corsages though.

bouquet2.jpg

bouquet1.jpg

bouquet3.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Kelpie, those are amazing - just gorgeous!!! How wonderful you'll get to keep your bouquet!!!

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you FMS! :))

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a big DIY-er, but my FI is!

We brewed and bottled our own beer for our favors. We did three types of drinks - an Autumn Amber Spiced Ale, a "Flye" Rye Ale, and a Cider, which is called Curly Sue Cider in my honor. :bigsmile:

We saved up bottles in the same shape and color in preparation, bought caps, and already owned a bottle capper, which is easy to use. I won't go into the details of how we bottled the beer, but suffice it to say, we kegged it all first and then used a system/tools to fill up the bottles after we sanitized them all.

My FI designed the labels in PPT using an Avery label template, and then we printed them out at Kinkos. Then all we had to do was slap the labels on after the bottling process was done and the bottles were clean and dried.

You can't see the sides of the labels here, but on the sides, we noted that we brewed and bottled everything ourselves and thanked everyone for celebrating with us. We are also making variety packs to give to some of our vendors.

Best thing about these favors is that if we have leftovers, we'll be happy to take them home with us.

DSCN1755.JPG

DSCN1756.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1286240507|2728647 said:
Here is the bouquet I just finished made out of Deco Clay (http://decoclay.com/). What do you think? It was very time consuming, too time consuming to make BM bouquets (getting from costco), I did make buttoniers and corsages though.

wow. this is truly spectacular!

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock
My DIY Coffee filter roses, and STD's
I will post more as I make more stuff including my pomanders for the church :))

149871_1583027588581_1622470666_1331246_1608823_n.jpg pcom1.jpg DSC00077.jpg

my flowers will be in mint julep silver vases, surrounded my candles wrapped in lace (will post when i put it all together) they will also be paired with silk hydrangeas in a cream color as well..

my std's have a sticker on the back saying "were tying the knot'---names-- date-- etc. :))

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Our entire wedding was pretty DIY - excluding catering (except for dessert) and the venue.

I made all the cupcakes and top giant wedding cupcake. My mother in law and aunt in laws made the 2 fluffy white cakes - which I topped with wholesale flower market roses. I made all the cake stands from candle holder and plates glued together.

I also did all the flowers - my best friend helped with the wedding bouquet! Got up at 6 am to go to the flower market 2 days before the wedding! Then spent 2 hours arranging all the flowers. I also bought all the linens and created all the centerpieces with glasses as tealight holders and actual car names as the tablenames (glued to Michael's plaques I spraypainted). The table assignment board was a corkboard that I covered. Saved a ton of money on the wedding by including my own sweat equity! :)

cakes.jpg

seating_assigments.jpg

tables.jpg

184173_179291318780506_136844433025195_398124_6462996_n.jpg

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Oops - forgot to credit the Photographer - that was also NOT DIY! :) He was fantastic! Message me if you're in So Cal for his name!

I also created swizzle sticks for the bar, and we came up with signature drinks and I created a bar menu with a thrift store frame.

It was alot of fun because I left myself time to plan and purchase when prices were right - DIY is definitely not recommended if you stress easily or can't multitask at the wedding! :) I also had my 2 best friends be my 2nd in commands to set everything up and I put together a "day of" plan so that our families could help set up. It was definitely a group effort and it made the wedding that much more special!

tables.jpg

cake.jpg

bouquet.jpg

bar.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
SO FUN! Everything looks great! Are you big car people?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
OMG Webdiva! Your wedding was amazing, and I love all your DIY! But, I must say, my favorite is your cake topper! Is that two eskimos ESKIMO KISSING?!??!? :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: FI and I give eskimo kisses all the time and the cuteness of that topper is overwhelming!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the compliments! Yes, we're HUGE car people! We met through cars and own the 2 vintage cars pictured (more DIY - bought them cheap on craigslist and fixed them up). The wedding was in a car museum! We got a huge deal on the rental and paid $250! We had to use their caterer, but they were totally affordable. I highly recommend everyone look for alternative venues because they are so much more affordable! Our wedding was very low budget, and phew - no one could tell! I totally tell everyone, though - because I'm so proud of pulling it off! :)

Yes! There are two eskimos kissing! They are salt and pepper shakers with magnets holding the noses together! There's a little white husky at their feet. Our dog wasn't allowed in the museum, so this was him in spirit. We taught him to "touch noses" and he does the little eskimo kiss with us! :) I'm attaching a pic of me and our doggie - the best friend and I were staging silly pics with me in the big white dress after the wedding!

I was sweating bullets over the giant cupcake - I iced it sooo horribly the morning of the wedding - but "snow" sprinkles covered up all that bad handwork! :bigsmile: It's amazing how all my DIYs just came together - I'm soo happy everything turned out after months of planning!

Also including pics of the table names, which I made with easels, wood plaques and real car names I bought at a swap meet! Also showing semi-DIY headband - took three headbands from a cheap mall store and attached the rhinestone pieces to one headband. And the pink tulle was sewn in by my best friend, who also bustled my dress for me. We added 2 loops of ribbon to attach to the existing buttons down the back of my dress. I got the dress for $299 at an outlet - so I didn't want to spend a ton of money getting it altered.

And one more pro pic from the photog - just got our pics back and he was sooooo good!

182767_179291485447156_136844433025195_398131_6964725_n.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0545-1.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicoleben|1295398008|2826207 said:
My DIY Coffee filter roses, and STD's
I will post more as I make more stuff including my pomanders for the church :))

149871_1583027588581_1622470666_1331246_1608823_n.jpg pcom1.jpg DSC00077.jpg

my flowers will be in mint julep silver vases, surrounded my candles wrapped in lace (will post when i put it all together) they will also be paired with silk hydrangeas in a cream color as well..

my std's have a sticker on the back saying "were tying the knot'---names-- date-- etc. :))

Your Save The Dates look amazing! :D

My DIY cardbox. I found an antique hat box at a local resale shop for $4. I recovered it in fabric to go with our wedding colors (orange and fuschia) and made a slit in the top to put cards in. Not your traditional card box, but it works for us. So here's what I started with:

Card Box 001.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results