Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY Silk Flower Wedding Belt

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
I am excited to share the details of making a silk belt for our lovely vc10um to wear with her wedding dress in LESS THAN A MONTH!!!!

While out dress shopping last September we were inspired by the flower embellishment on an Anjolique dress. V ended up purchasing a gorgeous dress from David's Bridal that is completely unembellished so that left the opportunity open to create something custom. I love any chance to create an accessory for a friend's wedding day so I practically fell over myself offering my handiwork (and hoped I could make something that would look nice enough to wear to a wedding). So far I've made 5 veils (including StephBolt's and my own) and a chuppah. This is my first adventure into dress accessories and I've really loved making this piece.

When choosing the materials I knew I wanted to layer tone-on-tone texture. I already had some ivory silk dupioni leftover from making my friend's chuppah so the only fabric I had to purchase was some champagne and ivory shantung. I bought cultered freshwater pearls online. There are 4 shapes of pearls on the flower centers- "disc" shaped pearls that are about 8 mm diameter, rounded 4 mm pearls, a few 15 mm long stick pearls, and small rice shaped pearls. I bought two shapes of clear Swarovski crystals to nestle in with the pearls. The last material needed was some fusible interfacing to give the belt have a bit more structure.

I made the petals for the flowers by cutting out U-shaped pieces of silk shantung, sewing around the rounded side and then turning them inside out. Then I sewed a seam across the straight part with a pleat in it so make it look more petal-like. I grouped 8 together to make one flower and used the machine to stitch them together in the flower.

I added the pearls by starting with the largest ones and then adding smaller and smaller sizes and finishing off with the crystals. I just used a needle and clear thread to add the beads and pearls.

I made the belt part by cutting 2 strips of silk dupioni that was the width of the finished belt + 1" (for 1/2" seam allowances). I cut strips of fusible interfacing the exact width I wanted the finished belt to be (in this case, 3"). I ironed on the interfacing on the wrong side of the dupioni and then pinned the right sides together to sew the two pieces of silk together. I carefully stitched the seams right on the edge of the interfacing and then turned the belt inside out.

I will be adding two silk dupioni ties to the back so V can tie the belt with a bow in the back.

I am really happy with how this turned out. We discussed the details quite a bit from the materials to the pearls. I'm honored that V gave me the opportunity to make something for her big day!

Now, on to the in-progress pictures. I'll add more once it is completed in the next couple of days and then hopfully V will add some once she gets her dress back from the seamstress!

ETA: Here's a link to V's dress thread!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc10um-picked-a-dress.149870/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc10um-picked-a-dress.149870/[/URL]

belt7.jpg

belt5.jpg

belt2.jpg

belt1.jpg
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
Modeling the belt in my bathroom. The flowers are not sewn into place yet and final location will be totally up to V!

belt sized.jpg
 

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
7,353
So gorg, clairitek!! Can't wait to see the whole thing together on V! :naughty: :love:
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
OMG, you MADE that! Well done, I looks AMAZING! :appl: :love:

You should add this to the DIY thread, it is just divine! What a good friend you are!
 

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
6,006
Oh Em Gee I'm CRYING over here, claritek!!! But they are such happy tears! It has turned out even better than I could have imagined...and I set the bar pretty dang high in my mind for your first project of this nature!!! You know how hard it is to render me speechless...and, well, I think you've pretty much done it...because all I can muster is "Oh Em Gee"s and "Wow"s.

:appl: :love: :bigsmile: :love: ;( :love: :D :love: :praise: :love: ;( :love: :appl: (I think that pretty much sums it up...)
 

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
2,570
That looks great! You're really talented. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the belt and dress together.
 

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
816
Looks beautiful! I can't wait to see you in your dress, VC!
 

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,072
You blow me away with your skills my friend! A stunning piece for a stunning bride-to-be! :love:
 

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
6,006
stephb0lt|1306854584|2934447 said:
You blow me away with your skills my friend! A stunning piece for a stunning bride-to-be! :love:
Awwww, thanks steph! Oh, and thanks for letting me borrow your hair flower as well! :bigsmile: PS ladies rock my socks off!
 

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
1,792
EEK! That's amazing. You're super talented, Claritek, and it will look superb with your dress vc!!!!!!!
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
So cute! You are so talented!
 

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
Well done!! It's truly gorgeous!

I may need to employ your for a belt for myself! :lol:
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
22,120
That is so cute...you are very talented! I cant imagine how much a bridal shop would charge for that belt!
 

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
3,309
Well done! It's really pretty. vc10um, I remember your dress, I think this belt will go perfectly with it ... and your purple shoes, right?
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I was so excited to come back to BWW and share this project. I hope it inspires some of you with a sewing machine or needle and thread kicking around to make your own accessories for your big day.

vc10um|1306838779|2934337 said:
Oh Em Gee I'm CRYING over here, claritek!!! But they are such happy tears! It has turned out even better than I could have imagined...and I set the bar pretty dang high in my mind for your first project of this nature!!! You know how hard it is to render me speechless...and, well, I think you've pretty much done it...because all I can muster is "Oh Em Gee"s and "Wow"s.

:appl: :love: :bigsmile: :love: ;( :love: :D :love: :praise: :love: ;( :love: :appl: (I think that pretty much sums it up...)
I set it high in my head, too! And most of the time I set out for a project like this the vision in my head is MUCH BETTER than what ends up coming out the other end. This is one of the times where I lucked out and I envisioned something that was within my skill level. I so dearly wanted to give something to you that you'd be proud to wear to your wedding. Now lets hope I don't botch the last few steps!

OUPearlGirl!! I would LOVE to make something to go with your dress. I am very very serious when I saw to get in touch with me if you want something! I'd be honored.

tyty- Inflated bridal shop prices are what got me started on making veils in the first place. I can recall being in DB with my friend Lynsey back in Fall of 2007 helping her pick out a dress. She tried on this gorgeous beaded and embroidered veil. It was $140!! Elbow length, too. Not even a super long one. I ended up making her an embroidered and beaded veil. Not nearly as complicated as the one in the shop, but she is the kind of bride to totally treasure a less perfect/snazzy veil that a friend made over a veil that was bought from a store.

Then I made my own- modeled after a $250 veil from my seamstress... given mine didn't have REAL Alencon lace, but it looks darn close! Then my friend's- a mantilla-style similar to mine in length but a much better cut... learned a lot from making mine. My friend's seamstress thought that the veil I made her was a professionally done and she got a ton of compliments at the wedding. Then I made StephB0lt's- another adventure into embroidering and beading, loved how whimsical that one turned out. That was my first high volume veil and I loved the way it looked in the light at her wedding. I was honored that she wore it the whole night. Then I made one for vc10um (high volume like Steph's, plain edge) and finally a 6th veil that was a birdcage style tulle veil for another PS friend. The chuppah I made for my friend's wedding (the same one with the mantilla veil) probably saved her several $100s. My personal cost for materials was over $100 (I used silk dupioni and reembroidered polyester and cotton Alencon-style lace since her gown was a Paloma Blanca with dupioni and Alencon) so I can't imagine what it would have cost for her to buy already made. It was my wedding gift to her and it now sits folded on a trunk at the end of their bed. She cried when I gave it to her (I was also her MOH, we're super close).

I guess what I am getting at here is that it is really, really rewarding for me personally to make things for my friends for their weddings. Not only because I like saving them money but I love being part of the day in another way than being a guest or in the bridal party. So I definitely encourage any of you to do the same for your friends (or yourself!).

Ok, I think my ramble on wedding crafts is over for the day! Its been a long day at work. :rodent:

Thanks again for your kind words!
 

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,308
I have to say, i thought that the belt was from a professional. I had to go back and read that you made it. :o You should seriously look into doing bridal things professionally, you have an amazing touch and eye for things. I would buy one of your items, no lie. Just amazing.
 

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
6,006
mscushion|1306945126|2935405 said:
Well done! It's really pretty. vc10um, I remember your dress, I think this belt will go perfectly with it ... and your purple shoes, right?
You have a great memory, mscushion! My purple Stuart Weizmans are ready to rock and roll!

Clairitek...I keep coming back to ooooooogle! It's just SO.PRETTY. Can't believe it's going to be here soon!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
Jessie702|1306970820|2935749 said:
I have to say, i thought that the belt was from a professional. I had to go back and read that you made it. :o You should seriously look into doing bridal things professionally, you have an amazing touch and eye for things. I would buy one of your items, no lie. Just amazing.
I've toyed with starting an Etsy shop for a while. I'd love to do something with proceeds going to charity, because I honestly don't desire to make money off of what I do. I don't know if I would do custom, but I can certainly churn out a variety of options and just offer standard items.... Hmm! Something to chew on, for sure. Thanks for the compliment!
 

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
10,541
LOVE IT!!! You're so talented. I hope you'll make a belt for me if I ever get married again. Maybe for Aidy's future wife to be??
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
Hudson_Hawk|1307026336|2936200 said:
LOVE IT!!! You're so talented. I hope you'll make a belt for me if I ever get married again. Maybe for Aidy's future wife to be??
I'd be honored! Your FDIL shall have an abundance of pretty wedding accessories.
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
Whoa, awesome, C-tek! The belt is gorgeous-you are so talented!

Can't wait to see pics of you in the belt, vc10um! I love your dress and the belt is going to look beautiful with it!
 

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,308
Clairitek|1307025980|2936198 said:
Jessie702|1306970820|2935749 said:
I have to say, i thought that the belt was from a professional. I had to go back and read that you made it. :o You should seriously look into doing bridal things professionally, you have an amazing touch and eye for things. I would buy one of your items, no lie. Just amazing.
I've toyed with starting an Etsy shop for a while. I'd love to do something with proceeds going to charity, because I honestly don't desire to make money off of what I do. I don't know if I would do custom, but I can certainly churn out a variety of options and just offer standard items.... Hmm! Something to chew on, for sure. Thanks for the compliment!
Your very welcome hon, it true though. If you had an etsy shop, i would defiantely buy something. I love the idea of it going to charity. You could easily take pictures of the items you have done, and post them there, and im sure people would have you make them something, espesically veils, since they are outgreousy pricey. I cant wait to see the finished product, and other items you have made.
 

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,072
Jessie702|1307119911|2936964 said:
Clairitek|1307025980|2936198 said:
Jessie702|1306970820|2935749 said:
I have to say, i thought that the belt was from a professional. I had to go back and read that you made it. :o You should seriously look into doing bridal things professionally, you have an amazing touch and eye for things. I would buy one of your items, no lie. Just amazing.
I've toyed with starting an Etsy shop for a while. I'd love to do something with proceeds going to charity, because I honestly don't desire to make money off of what I do. I don't know if I would do custom, but I can certainly churn out a variety of options and just offer standard items.... Hmm! Something to chew on, for sure. Thanks for the compliment!
Your very welcome hon, it true though. If you had an etsy shop, i would defiantely buy something. I love the idea of it going to charity. You could easily take pictures of the items you have done, and post them there, and im sure people would have you make them something, espesically veils, since they are outgreousy pricey. I cant wait to see the finished product, and other items you have made.
Here's some more of her beautiful work. I still put this veil on and walk around every time I visit my parent's house...is that strange?

veil2.jpg
 

Attachments

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
Wow that is beautiful! You have such a gift and it is so sweet of you to share it with those you care about (on one of the most special days of their life no less!). ::) :love:

If you don't mind sharing how you made the silk flowers it would help me greatly if you have time :) I'm trying to make a sea shell bouquet and bought fairly thick ribbon to make silk flowers to go in between the shells (and I also bought cultured pearls to go with it) and am just not quite sure how I go about sewing them to look like flowers. If not I suppose trial and error will work out pretty good too :bigsmile:
 

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
6,006
Clairitek|1306810668|2934215 said:
::snip:: I made the petals for the flowers by cutting out U-shaped pieces of silk shantung, sewing around the rounded side and then turning them inside out. Then I sewed a seam across the straight part with a pleat in it so make it look more petal-like. I grouped 8 together to make one flower and used the machine to stitch them together in the flower.

I added the pearls by starting with the largest ones and then adding smaller and smaller sizes and finishing off with the crystals. I just used a needle and clear thread to add the beads and pearls. ::snip::
vintagelover, that's a quote from the initial post...if you need more assistance, I'm sure C-tek can provide more details!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A Classic Solitaire
    A Classic Solitaire
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top