shape
carat
color
clarity

"The Bachelorette" thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I must say, I was disappointed that there were 30, not the usual 25 men for our lovely Canadian gal Jillian, and not ONE Canadian for her to choose from. What's that all about?
Well..lets hear your top picks.
My top 2 favourite are Jake, the commercial pilot, and Wes, the country singer. I predict these two will be the last two standing!
I wasn't all that impressed with the first show of the season, but I think I'll stay tuned, hoping next week brings a little more excitement!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 10:58:42 PM
Author:beau13
not ONE Canadian for her to choose from. What''s that all about?
Maybe Jillian wants to become a US citizen and thinks that marrying a Canadian would be counter-productive?
3.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I only watched the first hour, so I didn''t see the extra 5 men (although I saw the preview of the surprise). Did she still have to cut it down to 15 in the first ceremony?

My first impression pics were Jake (same as you beau!) and Juan, the guy who works as a contractor and has a business with his mom.

There were 2 guys I really hated and hope already went home: Greg, the model guy (he just seemed really gross to me!) and one of the Brian/Bryan''s (I think...) who kept calling her ''hot tub heiress'' or something yucky like that.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too thought it very odd that there were no Canadians and that most of the men were from cities very far from Vancouver. It is difficult enough for the couples to stay together after the show is over. You would think the producers would have at least some men who are closer geographically.

I did not watch the whole episode. I liked the contractor from California too. I hope the guy who drew a mustache on Jillian''s finger was out, though.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Beau, my picks were the same as you, Jake and Wes....although there is something about Wes I don''t quite like but I can''t put my finger on it. I also liked the Pizza Shop owner guy, he seems like fun!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:09:34 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
I too thought it very odd that there were no Canadians and that most of the men were from cities very far from Vancouver. It is difficult enough for the couples to stay together after the show is over. You would think the producers would have at least some men who are closer geographically.

I did not watch the whole episode. I liked the contractor from California too. I hope the guy who drew a mustache on Jillian''s finger was out, though.
EXACTLY... I just wonder if Jillian was aware of that before the show, or perhaps she did ask producers specifically..maybe she''s planning a move to the US (not sure why she would want to, doesn''t she have a thriving design business in Vancouver?). I don''t think it''s that easy for these men from the US (or one from England) to move here to Canada (unless they do marry, even then, I can forsee problems). I got a kick outta the guy with the T-shirt that said "Aspiring Canadian" . I don''t find any of the men OVERLY attractive, picking a few Canadians would have added to the "hotness factor" I think ! l
9.gif

She sent Kyle home (the guy wearing a leather jacket, he was a bit odd to me). The guy with the foot fetish was strange. I mean really..what kind of guy passes up a quality gal just because her feet are flat, (he referred to as being manly),or has crooked toes, a sloppy polish job,etc.etc. I wonder if he knows what an idiot he sounded like on TV? I thought his ears were rather Spock looking, but I''m sure that could be overlooked , if he had the personality, and sense of humour that interested me. I don''t know if she kept him, because near the end of the show, the hospital called, and I was speaking to the doctor for about 10 minutes and missed some of her choices.
39.gif
. I''m hoping she gave him the boot!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:36:44 AM
Author: steph72276
Beau, my picks were the same as you, Jake and Wes....although there is something about Wes I don't quite like but I can't put my finger on it. I also liked the Pizza Shop owner guy, he seems like fun!
I don't remember Pizza shop guy..Sabine, I liked Juan as well..most importantly, I think Jillian did too. He would be my pick for the final 3. (Jake, Wes, Juan)
I think Air Canada needs a pilot like Jake..I know I'd be flying the friendly skies more often!
30.gif
lol

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I read somewhere that these men may have been picked initially for the chick that was number 2 on the Bachelor. I can't remember her name. But that's typically who is the next bachelorette. And when Melissa was dumped and she was chosen. . . then that threw a wrench in the Bachelorette. I heard Melissa declined the offer to be the next Bachelorette. So there was some chatter about how the men weren't really "chosen" for Jillian. I could believe that.

Edited to add - for those interested: http://www.realitysteve.com/ technically paragraph 6.

Also wanted to add that I did not watch last night. So have no opinions on the boys!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Did anyone notice that the bachelors were quite young? The episode description on our TV said Jillian is 29 so I was expecting the men to skew more like 30-45. But several of them were younger than her-- I think the youngest I saw was 25! And the oldest that I noticed was 35. I just found that interesting, usually The Bachelor/ette pairs younger women with older men from what I have seen.

Also, that foot guy was creepy! Did she keep him? I hope not. I missed the end.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Maybe all the Canadian guys they interviewed were weird and unattractive.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 12:23:07 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Maybe, but my guess is the Canadian guys were all taken!
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 2:33:45 PM
Author: beau13
Maybe, but my guess is the Canadian hotties were all taken!
9.gif
Do people get married very young in Canada?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 10:45:01 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
I read somewhere that these men may have been picked initially for the chick that was number 2 on the Bachelor. I can''t remember her name. But that''s typically who is the next bachelorette. And when Melissa was dumped and she was chosen. . . then that threw a wrench in the Bachelorette. I heard Melissa declined the offer to be the next Bachelorette. So there was some chatter about how the men weren''t really ''chosen'' for Jillian. I could believe that.

!

I could believe that too. Some of the guys just seem way to young for her.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I don't have the statistics for how young people in Canada marry (might be something DancingFire knows).
Guess it depends on what area one lives in. Career type people may wait til later in life, trying to establish themselves first, in big cities such as Toronto, and Vancouver.
I got married at 24 (he was 23), it worked for us!
It seems now adays though, people are establishing a career first, saving some money, buying the house, then marrying..I didn't care about any of that, just wanted to be together, poor and jobless I didn't want to wait. lol. In the end, it all worked out..couldn't be happier, or more successful, of course there were hurdles, struggles along the way financially getting married so young, fresh out of University, but I'm proud of what my husband has become, what a great husband/father he is, and I guess it's just the chance you take, being so young and in love!
30.gif

I know Jillian mentioned she's ready to take that leap of faith, if she finds the right man!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 2:35:24 PM
Author: musey

9.gif
Not any more so than in the US... and actually, I think our average ages for men and women skew slightly older!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked Jake and the guy who wore a cowboy hat, can''t remember his name.
I thought they were all really young, too--it would totally make sense if they were chosen for Melissa instead of Jillian. That would make some sense out of why there are so many Southern boys on the show. (Not that I don''t love me a good Southern man, but it did seem an odd bunch for Jillian.)
I also didn''t find any of them to be particularly good-looking other than Jake, which is kind of a bummer.
Oh, and are these guys all really tall, or is Jillian really short?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 5:28:55 PM
Author: absolut_blonde
9.gif
Not any more so than in the US... and actually, I think our average ages for men and women skew slightly older!
Beau suggested that the Canadian men who might have come on the show were all taken, so I asked if they got married young (ie. "is the reason they're all taken that Canadians get married young?"). It was a joke.
2.gif

The average age of first marriage in Canada is 31.7 for women and 34.3 for men, vs. 26.0 for women and 27.7 for men in the US. So yes, Canada's average age is quite a bit older.

So by that data, it would make sense that all the Canadian men in Jillian's age range are not taken.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason there aren't any Canadian men is because this season was cast LONG before Jillian was named "Bachelorette" ... she was THIRD choice, behind Molly & Melissa. The producers thought they were casting for Molly up until Jason changed his mind at the After The Final Rose special. Jillian was only selected a week or two before filming began. After Melissa turned them down.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Jake and Juan. . . DH is totally man-crushing on Jake big time, and I told him that was extremely convenient since he''s from DFW.
31.gif

I didn''t care for the country singer . . . the other guys had a point about him bringing his guitar to the first party, but, he seemed to have impressed her, so I gues sit worked for him.

The guy she gave the first impression rose to, can''t remember his name, but my husband and I both just were in shock when he didn''t have anything to say on the initial introduction. I was sort of glad he ended up getting one, because I felt terrible for him.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 5:45:41 PM

Date: 5/19/2009 5:28:55 PM
Author: absolut_blonde

9.gif
Beau suggested that the Canadian men who might have come on the show were all taken, so I asked if they got married young (ie. ''is the reason they''re all taken that Canadians get married young?''). It was a joke.
2.gif

The average age of first marriage in Canada is 31.7 for women and 34.3 for men, vs. 26.0 for women and 27.7 for men in the US. So yes, Canada''s average age is quite a bit older.

So by that data, it would make sense that all the Canadian men in Jillian''s age range are not taken.
No, they may not be taken, but it also doesn''t make sense that (if any) Canadian men were interviewed for the show didn''t get casted because they''re weird and unattractive...which is what beau was initially addressing.
2.gif
According to the recaps I read (I missed last night''s show), weird and unattractive men still made it on!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 5:48:28 PM
Author: decodelighted
The reason there aren''t any Canadian men is because this season was cast LONG before Jillian was named ''Bachelorette'' ... she was THIRD choice, behind Molly & Melissa. The producers thought they were casting for Molly up until Jason changed his mind at the After The Final Rose special. Jillian was only selected a week or two before filming began. After Melissa turned them down.

Oh, that''s kinda sad...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I need to say a little something here, and I don''t want to start a debate or a fight or whatever over it - I just need to make something known because it is coloring the way I feel about this forum.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, I don''t deny that. In fact, I like that about this forum most of the time. But when your opinion converges to the same thing every time a different topic is brought up, and you make snide little comments that rub it in, it makes me irritated and I feel a little harassed. (I am not by any means saying I am the nicest person on this forum, NO WAY, but I don''t go out of my way to make people feel bad, either, and that is what I am addressing here.)

Canada is not better than America, Beau. It simply isn''t. It''s just DIFFERENT. I am glad you have love for your country and that you enjoy where you live, but please, enough with the, "Canada is better than EVERYWHERE!" cheerleading. No one else does that here, and we have people from all over the world on these forums. But almost every time I open a topic that you post in, it somehow comes up that Canada is the greatest and the comments are snide enough to insinuate that any other country is crap. And I am not the only one that is thinking it.

I like living in America. I LIKE IT. We have our issues, just like every country does, and this is certainly not our greatest hour right now by any means. We are struggling in a lot of ways. But I don''t try to force my opinion into dozens of off-topic conversations here because I enjoy how diverse we are.

That is all. Please return to your regularly scheduled programing!
9.gif

I need to catch the Bachelorette sometime...it can''t be worse than The Bachelor...can it?

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
I just hope the guy who calls himself Bilbro is gone. I did not get to finish watching last night so I may go do that now.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:55:23 PM
Author: wishful
I just hope the guy who calls himself Bilbro is gone. I did not get to finish watching last night so I may go do that now.

BILBRO? Seriously? What is that supposed to mean?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:55:23 PM
Author: wishful
Wishful! there''s a post for you in BBW!

Sorry for the threadjack and BIG DITTO Monkey!

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Monkey Pie - yeah he was a shorter guy - a body builder or something. and he was obnoxious!!! I think his first name was Greg but he went by Bilbro or Brilbo something like that..I think it was his last name. Dumb. hahahaa..

jellycat

Rough_Rock
billbro was a d-bag! he totally cracked me up though...hahahah..

juan? really? he kinda skeeved me out.. something a little creepy about him.. a lil too intense maybe..not sure..it''s something though.

anyway, it was fun to watch, even though she wasn''t my fave on the bachelor show. it''ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 8:53:47 PM
But almost every time I open a topic that you post in, it somehow comes up that Canada is the greatest and the comments are snide enough to insinuate that any other country is crap. And I am not the only one that is thinking it.

I like living in America. I LIKE IT. We have our issues, just like every country does, and this is certainly not our greatest hour right now by any means. We are struggling in a lot of ways. But I don''t try to force my opinion into dozens of off-topic conversations here because I enjoy how diverse we are.

MP, while I see where you''re coming from, I found the comment above to be quite distasteful and offensive. Personally, I feel as though you are insinuating Canada is ''crap'' (while I''m sure that was not your intent). Anyways, I dont want to threadjack anymore...but I just wanted to point out that certain comments, while directed to individuals in particular, can offend more than just the intended person.
35.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 9:32:41 PM
Author: kama_s
Date: 5/19/2009 8:53:47 PM

But almost every time I open a topic that you post in, it somehow comes up that Canada is the greatest and the comments are snide enough to insinuate that any other country is crap. And I am not the only one that is thinking it.

MP, while I see where you''re coming from, I found the comment above to be quite distasteful and offensive. Personally, I feel as though you are insinuating Canada is ''crap'' (while I''m sure that was not your intent). Anyways, I dont want to threadjack anymore...but I just wanted to point out that certain comments, while directed to individuals in particular, can offend more than just the intended person.
35.gif

I didn''t think of that, but I was just joking - Beau even seemed to get that? Oh, well. I''m be sure to use smilies more in the future so it''s clearer!
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results