carat
color
clarity

The AWESOME Toy Thread

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 4:18:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Well, I created a monster with this thread. I just ordered the drum, both food sets listed here (Tacori and snlee's - she loves food when it's fake!), the memory card set (I think it will be an awesome for when we are in restaurants and I will keep it in the diaper bag as a treat to start) and another green tea dish set since Amelia wants to serve all her food on plates and I only have tea saucers.

I'll justify this to myself by saying in nearly 2 years, I've bought her only the crayons, green tea set and sandset, a doll set, elmo, and a couple of puzzles. Everything else is handmedown, gift, or a craigslist used item (we got that lion that snlee posted on craigslist btw...you can save a boatload of money that way if the item is clean!) She deserves some new stuff, derned it!
3.gif

Going to get her a trike or a scooter for her birthday...haven't decided which.
Yay! Amelia is a lucky girl! She's going to have so much fun with all her new toys!

Thanks to everyone's recommendations I have a long list of toys to buy for D but I went overboard last Christmas so he will not be getting any new toys from mommy and daddy for awhile!

I agree that a PS play date would be SO MUCH FUN! Wish we all lived closer to one another!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:09:22 PM
Author: snlee

Date: 2/3/2010 4:18:13 PM
Well, I created a monster with this thread. I just ordered the drum, both food sets listed here (Tacori and snlee''s - she loves food when it''s fake!), the memory card set (I think it will be an awesome for when we are in restaurants and I will keep it in the diaper bag as a treat to start) and another green tea dish set since Amelia wants to serve all her food on plates and I only have tea saucers.

I''ll justify this to myself by saying in nearly 2 years, I''ve bought her only the crayons, green tea set and sandset, a doll set, elmo, and a couple of puzzles. Everything else is handmedown, gift, or a craigslist used item (we got that lion that snlee posted on craigslist btw...you can save a boatload of money that way if the item is clean!) She deserves some new stuff, derned it!
3.gif

Going to get her a trike or a scooter for her birthday...haven''t decided which.
Yay! Amelia is a lucky girl! She''s going to have so much fun with all her new toys!

I went overboard last Christmas so D will not be getting many new toys for awhile!

I agree that a PS play date would be SO MUCH FUN! Wish we all lived closer to one another!
Ha, I think it would be chaos!

I did really badly for Amelia on Christmas...the tea set was the only decent gift I got her, which wasn''t much. I absolutely BOMBED for her first birthday...buying her hands down the most AWFUL toy on the planet. The other toy, my brother also got for her (I looked at him and said, how, in a GIANT toystore, could you and I pick the same thing? So I returned the one I got her) She loves what everyone else gives her, but with everyone''s help here, I''m going to be a cool momma too!
11.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got this from friends and T LOVES it! She played with it all summer and I am sure will play with it this summer too. You could put sand in it but we use it as a water table.

419XVk2qWbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted this in the other thread but my SIL got this bounce back racer for her b-day. T loves it and I think it is a toy she can grow into. She finds it HYSTERICAL.

41-P3AIW2QL._AA280_.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:17:37 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I got this from friends and T LOVES it! She played with it all summer and I am sure will play with it this summer too. You could put sand in it but we use it as a water table.
Tacori, what''s it called? I see it''s step 2, but is it called a water table?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:31:43 PM
Date: 2/3/2010 5:17:37 PM

Tacori, what's it called? I see it's step 2, but is it called a water table?

Sorry I forgot to link it! You can find it here. Target usually has them on sale closer to spring/summer. Last year it was around $20. T LURVES it and it is nice to have some outdoor toys for hot sunny days. Every kid I know has one and loves it. Universal appeal.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another good outdoor toy is Power Wheels Lil' Quad. Comes in 3 colors but of course T has the pink one. It is motorized. She is so spoiled.

ETA: Here is a link. It is $59.99 at Target. I got it on sale there last year. I think I paid around $50.

ETA 2: Keep in mind I am a SAHM so I justify toy purchases b/c keeping her entertained is a win/win.

416yj8gAAkL._AA260_.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 6:13:46 PM
Another good outdoor toy is Power Wheels Lil'' Quad. Comes in 3 colors but of course T has the pink one. It is motorized. She is so spoiled.

ETA: Here is a link. It is $59.99 at Target. I got it on sale there last year. I think I paid around $50.

ETA 2: Keep in mind I am a SAHM so I justify toy purchases b/c keeping her entertained is a win/win.
Ha, good justification. Heck, any reason for justifying works for me.

That looks like a neat toy!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Great thread. Making a list for future purchases.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 12:22:45 PM
Melissa and Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons

I love these crayons. The case is sturdy and it''s easy to throw it in my diaper bag. I take a roll of scotch tape and some scratch paper and it''s instant entertainment when we are in restaurants. The crayons don''t roll and are hard to break (we have not broken one yet and she''s dropped it from table height to the tile floor). We use them a ton, and they don''t even look worn down yet. Colors are pretty bright and they are washable crayons.
I want to buy these, they look great! But it says 36 months +. What do you think (C is 16 mo''s)?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Another good outdoor toy is Power Wheels Lil'' Quad. Comes in 3 colors but of course T has the pink one. It is motorized. She is so spoiled.

This looks cool! Our neighbor''s kid has the motorized barbie car (annnnnoying..sorry to anyone who has it) so C would look much hipper with this, haha. When she''s old enough of course...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2010 1:15:52 PM
Author: janinegirly

This looks cool! Our neighbor''s kid has the motorized barbie car (annnnnoying..sorry to anyone who has it) so C would look much hipper with this, haha. When she''s old enough of course...

T started using it last summer so she was around 19-21 months. You could be surprised how quickly they catch on and learn to steer and hold the button down.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2010 1:11:47 PM

Date: 2/2/2010 12:22:45 PM
Melissa and Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons

I love these crayons. The case is sturdy and it''s easy to throw it in my diaper bag. I take a roll of scotch tape and some scratch paper and it''s instant entertainment when we are in restaurants. The crayons don''t roll and are hard to break (we have not broken one yet and she''s dropped it from table height to the tile floor). We use them a ton, and they don''t even look worn down yet. Colors are pretty bright and they are washable crayons.
I want to buy these, they look great! But it says 36 months +. What do you think (C is 16 mo''s)?
I started using them for Amelia about a month or two ago. No issues, but she is not a kid who puts anything in her mouth so it''s been fine. They are non toxic though.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Curious to hear how new purchases recommended here are going?

I picked up the Melissa & Doug crayons, snlee''s fruit set and the Green Toys Cooking set. Cooking set isn''t here yet, but crayons are a hit even if she tried to bite one and wants to run around the house with one in each hand. Once I got her to get over that, she actually started coloring..yay!

The fruits are a hit too, but right now she hasn''t mastered the cutting--takes a bit of strength. These toys are timely since she''s starting to get bored and much more active.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Janine, glad you like the crayons that Tgal recommended. I have to get some for M. We got her the triangular Crayola ones for toddlers, and she likes them, but they broke in pieces when she dropped them.

Is it bad that I am hesitant to get more toys for M since she has so much stuffs in her room already? I love the fruits and kitchen stuffs, but feel like it''s too much cluster and she has plenty to play with already.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 2:30:26 PM
Curious to hear how new purchases recommended here are going?

I picked up the Melissa & Doug crayons, snlee''s fruit set and the Green Toys Cooking set. Cooking set isn''t here yet, but crayons are a hit even if she tried to bite one and wants to run around the house with one in each hand. Once I got her to get over that, she actually started coloring..yay!

The fruits are a hit too, but right now she hasn''t mastered the cutting--takes a bit of strength. These toys are timely since she''s starting to get bored and much more active.
Crayons are still a hit at my house, and all the other kids I bought a set for.

The drum Amelia likes, but doesn''t love. She bangs on it throughout the day but never for very long. I like it a lot for myself though, as I''ll bang on it and sing nursery songs and Amelia will dance to my horrific singing and banging for ages. So I would say it''s a hit.

She LOVES all the fruit. She can''t cut the velcro ones yet, but loves pulling them apart and...STICK THEM TO OUR BERBER CARPET! Thank god it''s a rental, but our carpet is getting fuzzy. Might be something to keep in mind if you have berber.

The memory game she does like, but not in the way it''s intended. I think she''ll grow into it. She loves taking the cards out and pointing at the pictures, but not in the actual wood game itself. She also likes me to open all the windows and she''ll smack them all closed quickly.

What can I say, my kid''s an einstein.
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 2:36:32 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Janine, glad you like the crayons that Tgal recommended. I have to get some for M. We got her the triangular Crayola ones for toddlers, and she likes them, but they broke in pieces when she dropped them.

Is it bad that I am hesitant to get more toys for M since she has so much stuffs in her room already? I love the fruits and kitchen stuffs, but feel like it''s too much cluster and she has plenty to play with already.
Sell the stuff she doesn''t play with much on craigs list or donate them, then buy new stuff.
41.gif

(by the way, I count as charity, right? Hehehe.)

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I should really sort through her toys. A lot of toys are missing parts, like the stacking cups. hehe.

Meena has the Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube that she likes to play with. I got it at ON when it was 50% off for $10.

Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube.jpg

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
She also like this wooden bead maze from Target.

circo wooden bead maze.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 2:36:32 PM
Author: qtiekiki

I know what you mean about clutter--we''ve still got it under control, but not for much longer. I may get a toy box or move the lesser used toys to the basement. It''s one reason I haven''t picked up mega blocks just yet..I can just imagine tripping over them!

Tgal-ha, I know it''s a matter of time before C sticks the fruit to something she shouldn''t, but for now she likes sticking them together without much effort. I have to do the cutting for her though
2.gif

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
I need some help! What do i get a little boy for his second birthday?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 9:37:08 PM
Author: CourtHorn
I need some help! What do i get a little boy for his second birthday?

That bounce back car I posted. He will LOVE it!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step2 Naturally Playful Big Folding Slide - $89

This is Amelia''s 2nd birthday present. The kid loves slides and I think this will be fun in the house. I also got her a tumbling mat to along with the slide. Holy moly, tumbling mats are expensive, but I''ve been wanting to get one since I took her to physical therapy.

The slide has great reviews, and I''ll come back to review myself once we get it. I like that it folds up and has hardly any assembly. Just a couple of screws to secure the base and that''s it. We''ve been so happy with the Step 2 kitchen, that I decided to stick with their product line.

41PMT1y6srL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
cute slide Tgal! Co *loves* the slide at my gym''s daycare, so i bet you''ll get good use out of it.

I found some adorable Melissa and Doug stuff on ebay and bid on the pizza box. I am looking for the cutting fruit, the ice cream and the sushi, but nothing is listed yet.

Does anyone have a great bath toy?
Just before xmas i saw a bunch of colored plastic bar stuff for entertaining. It was on for 75% off so on a whim i got a plastic martini shaker/strainer, a bunch of shot glasses and some other assorted sized cups. I think these are the most played with items in our house. Co will easily sit for 40 mins in the bath just pouring water from cup to cup etc. I got him some funnels and stuff too and those are also a hit. I think these things cost maybe $5 in total and he''s gotten hours worth of play out of them. But i don''t want him to get bored, so i would like to get him something else for the bath.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 12:24:38 PM
Author: Jas12
cute slide Tgal! Co *loves* the slide at my gym''s daycare, so i bet you''ll get good use out of it.

I found some adorable Melissa and Doug stuff on ebay and bid on the pizza box. I am looking for the cutting fruit, the ice cream and the sushi, but nothing is listed yet.

Does anyone have a great bath toy?
Just before xmas i saw a bunch of colored plastic bar stuff for entertaining. It was on for 75% off so on a whim i got a plastic martini shaker/strainer, a bunch of shot glasses and some other assorted sized cups. I think these are the most played with items in our house. Co will easily sit for 40 mins in the bath just pouring water from cup to cup etc. I got him some funnels and stuff too and those are also a hit. I think these things cost maybe $5 in total and he''s gotten hours worth of play out of them. But i don''t want him to get bored, so i would like to get him something else for the bath.
I would love to know this as well. For nearly two years now, all Amelia has played with in the tub is a clear plastic cup I use to measure rice (I''ve had to get a different measuring rice cup since then) and a purple take and toss spoon. Every time I give her a bath, I feel like a lame a** mom. She has a rubber duck she got as a gift as a newborn, but she''s not interested in it. Amelia is like Co...just will sit in the tub scooping and pouring water for 30 minutes, as well as swirling the water in the cup with the spoon.

Honestly, I think with kids like them, real bath toys might fall flat. The cups seem to be the winner. The little rice cup is small, easy to grasp even when full of water and light.

We have some funnels...that is a great idea. I will try those next in the tub.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DD always loved playing with the stacking rings in the bath tub.

My nephews love these sets

Bath Toy

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
T plays with a lot of stuff in the bath. She love this Dora and Boots bath set. Dora was part of the infamous spanking episode. She also has this little people bath toys and love the boot to dump water. Another favorite is a little plastic watering can I got at Target for $1. She makes it "rain" on herself. She has something similar to this I thought it might help her learn her letters. She also has this fishing set. (I am starting to think this kid has too many toys!!!) She DOESN''T have this but loves anything Yo Gabba Gabba. I store some of her bath toys in this b/c it is adorable. She also has a duck my mom bought that has a string and it swims (if that makes sense). I can''t find a link.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results