shape
carat
color
clarity

The AWESOME Toy Thread

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Big lego blocks have been our greatest success so far. To be honest, Amelia isn''t that thrilled with toys after the first couple of hours. Any toys. She plays for hours with random object, like wooden spoons, paper, cardboard boxed and old handbags and shoes. The actual toys will only hold her attention for a fairly short time.

I don''t have a pic of the big lego, but she does like that.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:00:06 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Big lego blocks have been our greatest success so far. To be honest, Amelia isn''t that thrilled with toys after the first couple of hours. Any toys. She plays for hours with random object, like wooden spoons, paper, cardboard boxed and old handbags and shoes. The actual toys will only hold her attention for a fairly short time.

I don''t have a pic of the big lego, but she does like that.
Mega Bloks - $19

I agree. My Amelia loves these too. She''s had them since she was a year old. First she got good at taking them apart after I built them. Then they learn to build from there. It''s worth a good 30 minutes of distraction while she builds with every piece in the bag, then takes it all apart and puts them back in the bag so we can put it away.

megabloks.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
T also LOVES her table and chairs. I am picky so it was tough to find a set I liked. I ended up with this cool little table from Room and Board. They also sell chairs but I found ones on clearance at Target for next to nothing. Love the modern look. Speaking of those looking for play kitchens Ikea and a nice looking one. Thanks for posting those photos for my TGal.

roomandboard.jpeg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the R&B chairs for those modern mamas.

roomandboard-1.jpeg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 12:19:32 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I also just bought Green Toys Sand Play Set. It's a bit steep for a pail and shovel set, but the one I got from target is crap quality and was $6. She loves dirt so much, I thought it would be nice to invest in a better set.
The set is $14 on Amazon. I just received it and thought I would write a quick review.

Love the muted colors compared to some of the obnoxious stuff that is out there. Very thick quality. The bucket has a rope handle so we'll see how that holds up to water and dirt. However, it would be easy to take off and wash. The grips on the shovel, etc aren't as comfy as I'd like, but I don't think she'll notice. Very thick plastic and there's no way this bucket is going to crack (our target one already has some damage to many of the parts.)

This will make a nice toy to the backyard sandbox we have when we put it out in the spring. Pricey, but if your kid loves dirt, I think it's a nice buy because it looks like it will last. Hopefully we won't lose it!

ETA, it is a little brighter in person than it is in the stock photo.

GreenToySandset.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mini Kick Scooter - $79.99

My friend got this for her son, even after she bought him one previous. She loves this one and it has great reviews on Amazon. Bit pricey though!

kickboardscooter.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I can''t *wait* to have kids - so I can play with all of these cool toys!

TGal, the kitchen set is TDF! Awesome!!!!
36.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Melissa and Doug makes awesome stuff. Not surprised to see so much of it on here.
Charlie bought this memory game for Co on his own shopping trip and i thought it was too mature for him, but he LUVS it. It''s cool b/c it has insert cards and the flaps are on elastics so they make a satisfying slap sound when they open and shut.
Co already has some the games memorized, but he plays with it everyday anyway.

memory.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I love the recycled products.
Great ideas !

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 9:05:39 PM
Author: Jas12
I love the recycled products.
Great ideas !
Jas, the company does trucks too!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
great ideas TGal!!! i love so many ideas (especially the kitchen) but it would cost me an arm and a leg to ship it all the way! and the sad little tikes they sell here costs three times the price of these amazing ones posted here..

K loves mega blocks & the little tykes BB hoop though! he also has some M&D puzzles that he still plays with.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Great thread idea TGal!

Plan Toy Fruit and Vegetable Play Set

These are pricey but I LOVE them and so does my son! I found a few of these toys at 50-60% on Amazon a few months ago so it was affordable. They are so well made and I love how they are non-toxic and eco-friendly. They are connected with velcro and make a crunch noise as you cut them!

plantoyveg.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Plan Toy Solid Wood Drum

Good size, pleasant sounds, very durable. D loves to pick it up and turn it over and has dropped it a few times and we haven''t had any issues.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 12:33:45 AM
Author: snlee
Plan Toy Solid Wood Drum

Good size, pleasant sounds, very durable. D loves to pick it up and turn it over and has dropped it a few times and we haven''t had any issues.

plantoydrum.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Fisher-Price Stride-To-Ride Lion

Great walking toy with large wheel base. You can convert the walker to a ride-on for when they are bigger. Press the lion''s noise and it lights up and plays music. I thought the music would be annoying but it''s very catchy. Baby loves it!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 12:43:26 AM
Author: snlee
Fisher-Price Stride-To-Ride Lion

Great walking toy with large wheel base. You can convert the walker to a ride-on for when they are bigger. Press the lion''s noise and it lights up and plays music. I thought the music would be annoying but it''s very catchy. Baby loves it!

FPlion.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I have the longest "must buy" list now! Kitchen and play food are on top of the list (think we'll go with the Kidcraft) as well as TGAL's crayons and the Mega Blocks (keep meaning to buy them, but never have)! Cozy Coupe and table & chairs are on the long term list.

Quick question re: kitchen--we don't have room now, but was thinking of putting it in grandma's house and moving it home once our mega house project is done. I know it requires assembly, but once together would it fit in a jeep or does it have to be disassembled?
This is my fave thread yet, you all have the best ideas!

Oh and I think we should do a PS Playdate at Tacori's house... ;-)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:35:32 AM
Author: janinegirly
I have the longest ''must buy'' list now! Kitchen and play food are on top of the list (think we''ll go with the Kidcraft) as well as TGAL''s crayons and the Mega Blocks (keep meaning to buy them, but never have)! Cozy Coupe and table & chairs are on the long term list.

Quick question re: kitchen--we don''t have room now, but was thinking of putting it in grandma''s house and moving it home once our mega house project is done. I know it requires assembly, but once together would it fit in a jeep or does it have to be disassembled?
This is my fave thread yet, you all have the best ideas!

Oh and I think we should do a PS Playdate at Tacori''s house... ;-)
That is SO true!
9.gif

Janine, I could easily get the kitchen in the back of our crossover. It''s about 46 or so inches long, so under 4 feet, but check the specs to be sure.

I totally have a list now too...thinking about that drum that snlee posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine, you are always welcomed! I have a jeep too and T''s kitchen would easily fit in my trunk.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
This thread is so fun. T has the large leggos and really likes them. I''m loving the drum Snlee posted. I''ve been looking for a drum b/c T is obsessed with drums all of a sudden-she makes EVERYTHING her drum (pillows, buckets, pots, you name it) so I think I''ll order it for her because I want to get her a toy for when Kade gets here.

Janine~Our IL''s have a jeep and the kitchen fit in it to get it to our house (they bought it for her for Christmas and her b-day). They didn''t bring the whole thing at once since she got the stove for Christmas and fridge for b-day, but it got here!
2.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 12:19:32 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Green Toys Tea Set

I love the green toys stuff. Made out of recycled milk cartons, this tea set is green and BPA free. Thick, great quality and cute (without being overly cutesy). I also just bought Green Toys Sand Play Set. It's a bit steep for a pail and shovel set, but the one I got from target is crap quality and was $6. She loves dirt so much, I thought it would be nice to invest in a better set.
TGal, I am so happy you posted about that tea set in December. We bought A the Green Toys Tea Set and the Green Toys Chef Set for Christmas and she loves playing with all the pieces. (We also have tea on the floor.) She loves to take the lid on and off the pot, and just runs around holding the spatula. (I'm sure she'll learn to play with them "properly" later, but she is having fun just banging them around now.) I love the quality of the pieces and that they are made from recycled milk cartons. The Chef Set is on sale for $11.60 today on Amazon (I think we paid $14). http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-CHF01R-Chef-Set/dp/B002KE5OZ0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1265229446&sr=8-5

We plan to buy A the Sand Play Set and the Tool Set also.

GT Chef Set.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
A spends a lot of time playing with her Nest & Stack Buckets by I-Play. Initially, her favorite thing was to knock down towers I built, but now she can stack a few of the buckets herself. She also loves experimenting with how they fit inside each other. She is getting better with the shape sorter too. Sometimes she just runs around with the largest bucket with the handle. I like that it had activities she could do at 1 year old, and it will grow with her as her skills improve.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Play-G02082-Nest-Stack-Buckets/dp/B000CBSNBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IHBVVLGCXH7PW&colid=387Y9U10Y7AZ4

I-Play buckets.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 1:34:29 PM
Author: Burk
This thread is so fun. T has the large leggos and really likes them. I''m loving the drum Snlee posted. I''ve been looking for a drum b/c T is obsessed with drums all of a sudden-she makes EVERYTHING her drum (pillows, buckets, pots, you name it) so I think I''ll order it for her because I want to get her a toy for when Kade gets here.

Janine~Our IL''s have a jeep and the kitchen fit in it to get it to our house (they bought it for her for Christmas and her b-day). They didn''t bring the whole thing at once since she got the stove for Christmas and fridge for b-day, but it got here!
2.gif
A tries to drum on everything too, including the toilet lid.
20.gif
I think we may have to get that drum too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I created a monster with this thread. I just ordered the drum, both food sets listed here (Tacori and snlee''s - she loves food when it''s fake!), the memory card set (I think it will be an awesome for when we are in restaurants and I will keep it in the diaper bag as a treat to start) and another green tea dish set since Amelia wants to serve all her food on plates and I only have tea saucers.

I''ll justify this to myself by saying in nearly 2 years, I''ve bought her only the crayons, green tea set and sandset, a doll set, elmo, and a couple of puzzles. Everything else is handmedown, gift, or a craigslist used item (we got that lion that snlee posted on craigslist btw...you can save a boatload of money that way if the item is clean!) She deserves some new stuff, derned it!
3.gif

Going to get her a trike or a scooter for her birthday...haven''t decided which.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, i wish i weren''t so poor right now, i REALLY want to order some toys now--esp those wodden fruit and the recycled stuff (charlie would be *all* over that!!)
Thanks a lot Tgal
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 4:52:00 PM
Author: Jas12
Oh man, i wish i weren''t so poor right now, i REALLY want to order some toys now--esp those wodden fruit and the recycled stuff (charlie would be *all* over that!!)
Thanks a lot Tgal
2.gif
Sorry Jas.
41.gif
Does Amazon send stuff your way? I''ll send Co something...I have lots of money in the toy budget because poor Amelia played with empty water bottles all through year one.
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results