shape
carat
color
clarity

The April LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:02:43 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Date: 4/7/2009 9:59:05 PM

Author: sammyj

WOOO!!!! PS party!!!! If you ladies come visit I''ll have Daryl serve us drinks in the nude (I was initially going to write cocktails and I thought twice about it...)
3.gif
. Any other takers??

LOL. I''m in!
31.gif

Me too. Elle, we''ll wait for your bling
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today has been a very active day on PS for me.

I bet my post count shot up like 300.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:35:06 PM

ack guys seriously! i was gone all day because i had to take a test, then do a design review, then THREE programming assignments and this thread is two pages longer and i''ve totally lost the thread of conversation!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:52:31 PM
Author: somegirl932
Date: 4/7/2009 10:35:06 PM

ack guys seriously! i was gone all day because i had to take a test, then do a design review, then THREE programming assignments and this thread is two pages longer and i''ve totally lost the thread of conversation!

Haha. Sorry Somegirl! I know how frustrating it can get trying to catch up on a thread.

You really have to be on the ball with PS threads sometimes.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
it''s all good... i''m actually proud of myself for actually keeping off the internet until my work was done. that''s like the first time i''ve managed to do so this semester!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, I missed a LOT today!

The parentals were visiting
1.gif
I love doing cheesy touristy things that I wouldn''t otherwise do because I live here. Although I think I could go on the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour every day without too much trouble!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:08:52 PM
it''s all good... i''m actually proud of myself for actually keeping off the internet until my work was done. that''s like the first time i''ve managed to do so this semester!

Sometimes, I force myself to study at Starbucks, just so I can be deprived of free wireless (although now I have AT&T, so I might not have to pay for their wireless...must remember to forget about this) and therefore focus better.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
my biggest problem is that for all of my cs classes, i need the internet, to run testing scripts, check stuff into svn, read documentation... i need the internet to run MATLAB...

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:24:34 PM
my biggest problem is that for all of my cs classes, i need the internet, to run testing scripts, check stuff into svn, read documentation... i need the internet to run MATLAB...

Yeah, I thought about that just after I posted. Sometimes, I am SMRT.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
i have registered for my last classes as an undergrad! i''ll be graduated in just a little over 8 months! (and hopefully engaged too...) so excited. more excited for this semester to finish though...

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Nice nice!

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
more good news! SO and I just booked tickets for his flight out to see me this summer... I''m doing an internship in Seattle and he''ll be doing research on campus here, so he''s flying out to see me, one day after my birthday! for the weekend.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome!

I''m trying to convince B that he wants to move out to Seattle. There are a couple of companies that I''d love to work for out there, but I don''t think he''s too keen on the Pacific Northwest.

I don''t want to pry too much and ask which company you''ll be interning with, but are you doing more of a programming internship or something with the bioinformatics?

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
okay, then B must be crazy! i have absolutely fallen in love with the pacific northwest, after having lived in the midwest my whole life. they have mountains! and water! my SO likes it too, though he's slightly worried he won't find his dream job there.

i'm working for a software company... it's a large one, based out of redmond...
2.gif

i'll be a pm though. surprisingly i don't love writing code. this is also what i did last summer (some company, same position, though a different group), and had the best three months of my life!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
(continue with the rest of your convos I just want to pop in and say this)

hey elle I just went to read your mp thread; which, of course, I had no idea was going on since I''m oblivious to the rest of PS (I think I''m becoming notorious for that at this point) I say props for you for being open about everything on a forum. Its kind of exciting to see such an unspoken option be openly discussed, I think.
1.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I know exactly what you mean. I also grew up in the Midwest, and I am aching to get out. Either the Pacific Northwest or Texas would be great for me (my dream job is in game dev, so that certain company in Redmond would be a sweet deal, but there are some amazing places in TX that I''d love to work, too).

Funny enough, I like writing code.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
i''m not sure i could handle the heat in texas... the weather in the pacific northwest is probably one of my favorite aspects of the area... yes, despite the rain! though i will miss thunderstorms.

do you do a lot of outdoorsy stuff?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:18:44 AM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
(continue with the rest of your convos I just want to pop in and say this)

hey elle I just went to read your mp thread; which, of course, I had no idea was going on since I''m oblivious to the rest of PS (I think I''m becoming notorious for that at this point) I say props for you for being open about everything on a forum. Its kind of exciting to see such an unspoken option be openly discussed, I think.
1.gif
Thanks, SS!
35.gif

I didn''t mind answering questions about it. Its has a very strong stigma attached to it, so I know its weird for people to think that normal, every day people participate in it.

Makes us happy!
31.gif
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:25:32 AM
Author: misskitty
I know exactly what you mean. I also grew up in the Midwest, and I am aching to get out. Either the Pacific Northwest or Texas would be great for me (my dream job is in game dev, so that certain company in Redmond would be a sweet deal, but there are some amazing places in TX that I''d love to work, too).

Funny enough, I like writing code.
MK, I''m a midwest girl too, and hoping to get out. We''ve discussed Chicago (Unfortunately that''s still midwest!!
20.gif
3.gif
) and I have mentioned Pacific NW. FF doesn''t seem to keen on the idea, but I bet if I got him out there to visit, he''d love it.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:25:48 AM
i''m not sure i could handle the heat in texas... the weather in the pacific northwest is probably one of my favorite aspects of the area... yes, despite the rain! though i will miss thunderstorms.

do you do a lot of outdoorsy stuff?

B is convinced that the weather there is perpetually miserable. I don''t believe that for a second.

Both of us are okay with Texas, though, so that''s probably going to happen unless I get a job offer that''s too good to pass up. It''s all 3-5 years in the future anyhow, so I have time to sell him on the area
3.gif

Date: 4/8/2009 8:25:48 AM

MK, I''m a midwest girl too, and hoping to get out. We''ve discussed Chicago (Unfortunately that''s still midwest!!
20.gif
3.gif
) and I have mentioned Pacific NW. FF doesn''t seem to keen on the idea, but I bet if I got him out there to visit, he''d love it.

Chicago IS Midwest, but it''s different. I am so so so happy that I decided to move there, even if it only lasted a couple of years (and I''ll probably move back at some point). I almost feel like it''s a requisite rite of passage for Midwestern kids - get bored with small-town Ohio/Michigan/Iowa/etc. and move to Chicago sometime after college to experience life in the big city...which happens to be populated by a bunch of other Midwestern kids who are doing the same thing.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 9:45:17 AM
Author: misskitty

Chicago IS Midwest, but it''s different. I am so so so happy that I decided to move there, even if it only lasted a couple of years (and I''ll probably move back at some point). I almost feel like it''s a requisite rite of passage for Midwestern kids - get bored with small-town Ohio/Michigan/Iowa/etc. and move to Chicago sometime after college to experience life in the big city...which happens to be populated by a bunch of other Midwestern kids who are doing the same thing.
Hahha! I know! That''s what I keep telling FF... "Chicago is where all the kids from our area go to get away! Lets do something different!"

I think PNW might be too much for him though.

I have no desire for the east cost, or the Carolinas, or Texas, or anything.

I would consider Colorado, but i don''t think FF is in to that either.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:00:19 AM

Hahha! I know! That''s what I keep telling FF... ''Chicago is where all the kids from our area go to get away! Lets do something different!''

and JUST WHY is that???
tapping.gif

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
weather: it''s totally not perpetually miserable! summers in seattle are gorgeous! it''s like 75 and sunny every day. not too hot, not humid, and sunny! hardly rains. and the thing about the rain during the rest of the year is that it''s generally lighter. like, it''s not constant downpouring, it''s just... damp and drizzly for awhile.

chicago: i guess this one''s a little different for me because i grew up in the chicago suburbs. i mean, certainly, the city''s way different, but i spent enough weekends in the city growing up, and took the train in with my friends, heck we had prom at navy pier... that i guess i wouldn''t really consider chicago a move. plus i don''t really want to live in a big city.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:02:59 AM
Author: Bia
and JUST WHY is that???
tapping.gif

I can only speak for myself, but I guess for me it was visiting the area for college visits and never particularly feeling at home. Granted I probably didn''t get a complete view of the east coast at all, but that''s what stuck with me. SO is from the east coast and wants to take me back where he grew up and do some exploring, so maybe that will change one day!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I know -- the weather can''t possibly be that sucktastic if so many people love it up there. I just have to find some other incentive for B, like a job that guarantees free video games
3.gif

I''d actually love to live on the East Coast. I used to spend my summers in RI with my relatives, and that was awesome.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hahha! I know! That''s what I keep telling FF... ''Chicago is where all the kids from our area go to get away! Lets do something different!''

and JUST WHY is that???
tapping.gif
Ha!

Too expensive. I love that I can buy a nice house in my area, with a yard, that''s safe, with a quaint downtown area with TONS of restaurants for under 200,000.
9.gif

Plus, I hear NY chicks are super hot, and I just don''t think I''d be able to compete!
3.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:20:05 AM

and JUST WHY is that???
tapping.gif
Ha!

Too expensive. I love that I can buy a nice house in my area, with a yard, that''s safe, with a quaint downtown area with TONS of restaurants for under 200,000.
9.gif

Plus, I hear NY chicks are super hot, and I just don''t think I''d be able to compete!
3.gif
::sigh:: This is true...(blushing)

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Elle: you can buy a nice house with property for under 200k in Michigan? Damnnnn. You can''t even buy a 2bdrm co-op for that here.
39.gif
39.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:42:50 AM
::sigh:: This is true...(blushing)
What the crap, Bia? You didn''t dig out a "blushing" emotie??

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:44:02 AM
Elle: you can buy a nice house with property for under 200k in Michigan? Damnnnn. You can''t even buy a 2bdrm co-op for that here.
39.gif
39.gif
Yes, you can. Except there are no jobs here to pay for said house.
20.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results