shape
carat
color
clarity

The April LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:44:51 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 4/8/2009 10:42:50 AM
Author: Bia
::sigh:: This is true...(blushing)
What the crap, Bia? You didn''t dig out a ''blushing'' emotie??
Nahh...too lazy today.
10.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:46:07 AM

Date: 4/8/2009 10:44:02 AM
Elle: you can buy a nice house with property for under 200k in Michigan? Damnnnn. You can''t even buy a 2bdrm co-op for that here.
39.gif
39.gif
Yes, you can. Except there are no jobs here to pay for said house.
20.gif
2.gif
Well there you go! Here you get paid a s*** load of bread (except in my job) but you can only afford a shoebox!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Not bad.

I, so badly, want a house. I don''t know if it is going to be possible though...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 11:11:54 AM
Wow. Not bad.

I, so badly, want a house. I don''t know if it is going to be possible though...
I am dying to buy a house, too. We were hoping to be in a position to buy by the end of this year, but that''s not happening. End of next year is more likely.

How come you can''t buy a house? Just financial reasons, or some other factor?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:03:43 AM
Author: somegirl932
weather: it''s totally not perpetually miserable! summers in seattle are gorgeous! it''s like 75 and sunny every day. not too hot, not humid, and sunny! hardly rains. and the thing about the rain during the rest of the year is that it''s generally lighter. like, it''s not constant downpouring, it''s just... damp and drizzly for awhile.

Shhh! Don''t tell anyone--we just tell people it rains all the time to keep the tourists out.
9.gif

Seriously, though. Yay Pacific NW! I actually have a friend who works for a video game design company in Seattle.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 11:15:13 AM

FI owns a co-op, which is an apartment. They are like condos except you own a share of the building versus just owning the actual apt--co-operatives are popular here in NYC. Right now it works because we only need a one-bedroom. We are hoping to sell it when we need more space (or even subletting it). The problem is, in Westchester (suburban county outside of NYC), where I''d ideally like to buy a house, it is too expensive. But it''s not even just the price tag, it''s the taxes on these properties. The property tax on a regular, no frills home (let''s say it costs around 600k--because that''s where homes START in Westchester County) start at around $10-15k A YEAR. Just in taxes. AND believe me, it goes up from there. In the town I live in, some of the nicer homes owe around 30k a year in taxes. It''s like living in Bevery Hills or something! It''s insane.

If we are dead set on wanting a house (which I am) we might consider moving to southern CT, where the properties are still expensive but at least the taxes are doable. Otherwise we will probably end up with a big co-op (3-4 bedrm/2 bth/fireplace/etc) and, if we can afford it, have a country house somewhere cheap. But who knows. I want a house though!
39.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 11:40:23 AM

Date: 4/8/2009 11:15:13 AM

FI owns a co-op, which is an apartment. They are like condos except you own a share of the building versus just owning the actual apt--co-operatives are popular here in NYC. Right now it works because we only need a one-bedroom. We are hoping to sell it when we need more space (or even subletting it). The problem is, in Westchester (suburban county outside of NYC), where I''d ideally like to buy a house, it is too expensive. But it''s not even just the price tag, it''s the taxes on these properties. The property tax on a regular, no frills home (let''s say it costs around 600k--because that''s where homes START in Westchester County) start at around $10-15k A YEAR. Just in taxes. AND believe me, it goes up from there. In the town I live in, some of the nicer homes owe around 30k a year in taxes. It''s like living in Bevery Hills or something! It''s insane.

If we are dead set on wanting a house (which I am) we might consider moving to southern CT, where the properties are still expensive but at least the taxes are doable. Otherwise we will probably end up with a big co-op (3-4 bedrm/2 bth/fireplace/etc) and, if we can afford it, have a country house somewhere cheap. But who knows. I want a house though!
39.gif
We actually do have co-ops here in Ann Arbor, so I''m familiar with them. We have a lot, actually.

Wow. Those taxes are INSANE! I mean, Ann Arbor taxes are high, but not that high! If you''re in A2 proper, they can go up to 10 I assume, withthe more expensive houses, but outside of the city of A2 they drop significantly. Again.. still no where close to 15k or more! Yikes!

We want to get dogs like.. yesterday. I tell FF my uterus is aching for a puppy. It grosses him out, but he gets the point.
20.gif
So the minute we have a house with a yard, it''s puppy time! We''re going to have a damn zoo in our house.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
goood morning everyone! hope everyone had a good evening!

today is my last day off before i return back to work (two jobs!!). E has the day off tody so at least we get to spend it together :).

for those thinking to move to the NW, DO IT!! plus we have way more than just microsoft for upcomming technology. plus nothong beats a sunny day here after a weeek of crap weather :)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 11:50:25 AM
Author: jcarlylew
goood morning everyone! hope everyone had a good evening!

today is my last day off before i return back to work (two jobs!!). E has the day off tody so at least we get to spend it together :).

for those thinking to move to the NW, DO IT!! plus we have way more than just microsoft for upcomming technology. plus nothong beats a sunny day here after a weeek of crap weather :)

Enjoy your last day off, Jcar!

I will try and push the PNW issue with FF again!
27.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
elle -
is ff outdoorsy at all? because we have snow sports, water sports, air sports and hreeeellloo new awesome soccer team :p

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:34:03 PM
elle -
is ff outdoorsy at all? because we have snow sports, water sports, air sports and hreeeellloo new awesome soccer team :p
Outdoorsy? Yes. Sports-oriented? No.
3.gif

I''m the jock in our relationship. We do both really enjoy camping and hiking. I think the water/snow sports thing might attract me more than him.

He''s a computer nerd who loves coffee and techy gadgets.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:37:17 PM

elle -
3.gif

I'm the jock in our relationship. We do both really enjoy camping and hiking. I think the water/snow sports thing might attract me more than him.

He's a computer nerd who loves coffee and techy gadgets.
How cute! Gotta loves techies.

You know, my man is a city boy through and through. But since I'm not, and I love nature, outdoorsy things, he has grown to love them too. He loves going for runs/hikes in the wilderness. He is very into Native American/Hindu/Buddhist cultures, so whenever we go out in secluded nature, he is on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary, or "nature-ey." And then proceeds to tell me about the history of X, Y, and Z....(I often tune him out and pretend to listen
10.gif
)

Anyway, I went off on a total tangent, but I started talking about it because we really want to start camping. We haven't really done it before (in the true-to-form sense) and he mentioned wanting to go the other day. I guess an old friend from his neighborhood, who FI used to skateboard with, facebooked him the other day. This guy goes camping all the time in Oregon and Cali, where he lives now. He said it's awesome. So maybe we'll do it this year, who knows?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:59:56 PM

Date: 4/8/2009 12:37:17 PM

elle -
3.gif

I''m the jock in our relationship. We do both really enjoy camping and hiking. I think the water/snow sports thing might attract me more than him.

He''s a computer nerd who loves coffee and techy gadgets.
How cute! Gotta loves techies.

You know, my man is a city boy through and through. But since I''m not, and I love nature, outdoorsy things, he has grown to love them too. He loves going for runs/hikes in the wilderness. He is very into Native American/Hindu/Buddhist cultures, so whenever we go out in secluded nature, he is on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary, or ''nature-ey.'' And then proceeds to tell me about the history of X, Y, and Z....(I often tune him out and pretend to listen
10.gif
)

Anyway, I went off on a total tangent, but I started talking about it because we really want to start camping. We haven''t really done it before (in the true-to-form sense) and he mentioned wanting to go the other day. I guess an old friend from his neighborhood, who FI used to skateboard with, facebooked him the other day. This guy goes camping all the time in Oregon and Cali, where he lives now. He said it''s awesome. So maybe we''ll do it this year, who knows?

Ohhh that sounds like fun! I''d love to camp there!

Most of our friends define camping as going to one of those camp site areas that are marked off by numbers. Yanno, the ones with showers, toilets, plugs for your radio, and a cooler full of beer? Oh, and if you jump in your car you can drive to the Dunkin Donuts that is 5 minutes away?

I want to hang my food from trees so bears can''t eat it, and swat away exotic bugs while bathing in a river and peeing in the trees!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:10:51 PM
Ohhh that sounds like fun! I''d love to camp there!

Most of our friends define camping as going to one of those camp site areas that are marked off by numbers. Yanno, the ones with showers, toilets, plugs for your radio, and a cooler full of beer? Oh, and if you jump in your car you can drive to the Dunkin Donuts that is 5 minutes away?

I want to hang my food from trees so bears can''t eat it, and swat away exotic bugs while bathing in a river and peeing in the trees!
You''re such a hippy!

I want to too, but minus the no cooler...it get''s so hot, and I''ll probably kill someone for a cold beer! Plus, when it''s so hot and you have bugs all over you, that can get old pretty quick. But hey, I am up for most adventures. Unless they include jumping out of, or off of, anything high (inanimate or not)!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Aww I always miss the good PNW topics!
8.gif
Elle, you wanna move here? Here''s some good hiking for ya!
31.gif

I don''t know who these guys are, but friends got married up here last summer, on the hottest day of the year (100+ degrees!!). It''s 20 mins east of Seattle looking west. Thankfully I had to work that day and missed the 3 hour hike in that heat. LOL!

highres_7371376.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:18:25 PM
You''re such a hippy!

I want to too, but minus the no cooler...it get''s so hot, and I''ll probably kill someone for a cold beer! Plus, when it''s so hot and you have bugs all over you, that can get old pretty quick. But hey, I am up for most adventures. Unless they include jumping out of, or off of, anything high (inanimate or not)!
Hahaha. You''d never guess it either, based on my outward appearance. FF''s mom was stunned when she found out I played softball for most of my life.

"I thought you were a cheerleader or something!" she said. I was offended, not because cheerleading isn''t tough, but because we all know the stereotypes that go along with cheerleading.
14.gif

I''m also up for any adventure, and like you... as long as it''s not up high!

Man now I really want to go camping. Maybe FF and I will take an early summer camping trip up to the UP. GORGEOUS camping in the UP of Michigan!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sunnyd, that is GORGEOUS!!
30.gif
30.gif

Oh my gosh I would love, love, love to go camping out there! That is awesome!

I''m really going to start pushing the PNW issue. I think I could definitely fit in there. What are people like out there?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Hippyish, you''d do great! Hahaha just kidding, I was basing that off Bia''s hippy comment.
2.gif

Seriously, there''s such a mix of people. Generally everyone is friendly and happy. When my family moved here from Toronto my parents always commented on how cool it was that when you''re out walking the dog or something, everyone says hi to each other. Or hiking! Pass someone on the trail, how''s it going? When I''ve been to other places, it''s not really like that.

We love it here and wouldn''t move anywhere else. The only thing that sucks is the cost of living is really high. Not NYC high, but high. But it is what it is!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:34:12 PM
Author: sunnyd
Hippyish, you''d do great! Hahaha just kidding, I was basing that off Bia''s hippy comment.
2.gif

Seriously, there''s such a mix of people. Generally everyone is friendly and happy. When my family moved here from Toronto my parents always commented on how cool it was that when you''re out walking the dog or something, everyone says hi to each other. Or hiking! Pass someone on the trail, how''s it going? When I''ve been to other places, it''s not really like that.

We love it here and wouldn''t move anywhere else. The only thing that sucks is the cost of living is really high. Not NYC high, but high. But it is what it is!
The town I''m living in now is in Michigan, but not super-Michigany. It''s really liberal, hippy, and friendly. Although outsiders sometimes think its snobby. There''s an "Ann Arbor attitude" or something along those lines.

We just like laid back, liberal, friendly, adventurous people. We love outdoors, and we like moderate temps. I hate humidity, but Michigan has humid summer so I can tolerate it OK.

FF is really skeptical about the weather. He''s freaking out about the grey, but MI gets grey too, so I don''t know what the deal is. He''s convinced there is like 300 days of rain and grey. What is it REALLY like?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Well last Friday it snowed. Then all weekend until today it was in the 70s. Does that help?
3.gif

It''s gray for sure from about November to April. But there''s hardly any snow (except this year...this year was weird...) and the summers are nice. 80s-ish and no humidity. It''s not as bad as everyone thinks it is.
1.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:34:12 PM
2.gif

My FI always says that if we could move to the west coast (I wouldn''t want to because our whole family is on the East, plus, I am a NorthEasterner at heart) he would move to Oregon or Washington State. He loves the landscape and the freshness of it. Plus, for a Queens boy straight out of NYC, he''s a hippy at heart. AND his icon (really his GOD), Jimi Hendrix, is from Seattle...

LOL He''s so adorable. I am loving my FI today
30.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
well techniclly its grey out now, but its super bright! i''d say for the most part we''re all laid back. and we love our wine and beer (and seafood!!)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:56:44 PM
well techniclly its grey out now, but its super bright! i''d say for the most part we''re all laid back. and we love our wine and beer (and seafood!!)
Mmmm wine.
9.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 2:23:17 PM

Date: 4/8/2009 1:56:44 PM
well techniclly its grey out now, but its super bright! i'd say for the most part we're all laid back. and we love our wine and beer (and seafood!!)
Mmmm wine.
9.gif
Mmmm beer and wine
18.gif

Happy Easter and a Wonderful Passover to all who celebrate!

ETA: I know Easter's not till Sunday but I am off for the next 5 days (oh the joys of working for a Jesuit university!) and I know Passover begins* tonight.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
elle -

Totally jealous of this, by the way. It really feels like St. Louis is never going to get a team!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:29:47 PM
Author: misskitty

elle -

Totally jealous of this, by the way. It really feels like St. Louis is never going to get a team!

its to make up for the fact tht we have no bsketbll team.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Fair enough :)

Actually, I know all of the reasons behind St. Louis getting turned down for the bid (again). I can still hope for an expansion in 20??, right?

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
elle -

i cant wait to get back out there... i hardly get a chance to climb back home, let alone hike, mountain bike, kayak, whitewater raft...

and i certainly can''t wait to be in a place where there''s good snowboarding an hour from where I live!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goooooood morning everyone!

I fell asleep at 830 last night, and woke up at 830. I''m still tired.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results