shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell your Proposal Story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I rarely post here, but I just couldn’t pass up this thread. I thought my proposal was unconventional as well, but apparently several pp had similar ones.

We were celebrating our 4 months DATING anniversary, and we went to our favorite Thai food restaurant where we shared a bottle of red wine. We went back to my apartment afterwards, and shared another bottle of red wine (you see where this is going?)…then we head off to bed to “celebrate”. After the “celebration” we were giddy, drunk, whatever. Dh (then boyfriend/coworker) turns to me showing full monty, and told me: “I’m so happy and content right now, I want to marry you!” I started giggling so hard I couldn’t say anything. He then asked: “Do you want to marry me?” More giggling…..because of his state of dress. Then I asked: “Are you serious?” he replied yes. And the following weekend we went shopping for my ring. When we went to pick up the finished ring, he proposed again, fully dressed, and kneeling in the parking lot by the jewelry store. That was 4 years ago, and we have 2 beautiful kids now. We have a PG-13 version that we’ll tell the kids.

indigirl

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I had been talking about getting married since shortly after we started dating. We had even browsed in a few stores for rings, and had decided that we wanted to pick out our own rings.

I had been telling her that I wouldn''t be ready until after Christmas, but surprised her on Sept 26 in Lake Louise. It was one of our month-iversaries and we were planning on going to Banff for dinner to celebrate. Little did she know...

1. I had planned for a couple hours of treatments at the Banff Springs Hotel Spa. This involved trying to find out if she was a girl who liked massages or felt ooky cause of them. (Don''t laugh - I have a good friend who HATES them).

2. I had packed an overnight bag for her because I had managed to swing a great rate at the Chateau Lake Louise for overnight, and had pre-arranged some time off for her the next day through her project managers at work. (We work together)

3. I had bought a diamond necklace to propose with.

Well, before we left Calgary, she found the necklace in my purse while looking for advil. I managed to pawn it off as an anniversary present and pretend like she totally ruined the surprise.

The rest of the day went great. She thought we were going to the Hot Springs, so when we pulled into the swanky spa instead, she squealed. It was even better that she had had the worst week at work prior to the weekend - she needed the stress relief!

We spent a few relaxing hours and then dressed for dinner at the spa and drove up to lake Louise. Prior to dinner, I took her for a little walk around the lake, got down on one knee and told her she was the most spectacular person I have ever met, that life is better than I ever dreamed, and that I''d love to spend the rest of my life showing her how much she means to me. She said yes, and we cried a little, and got some tourists to take photos of us before sharing an amazing dinner (and champagne) at the hotel.

Since then, we''ve been ring shopping... two solitairs from Blue Nile arrive tomorrow, and we''re going to compare against some local settings. Viva la 30 day return policy!

Wedding is Oct 15 2005 at the Fairmont Palliser in Calgary. With any luck, it''ll be legal here then.

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
KEEP THE STORIES COMMING. I LOVE IT
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun thread!

Preface:
I met my J about 3 years ago when I was interning at a hospital in W Va during my last year of school. We became good friends but I started dating someone else (loser). Kind of kept in touch after I went back home to finish school but very seldom. After graduation I moved back to W Va to complete my residency training at that same hospital. My relationship with (loser) ended. I decided never to date again!!!

One weekend in October 02, months after (loser) was out of the picture, some friends and I (including J) went on a road trip to kentucky for the weekend. Because of some car trouble, J ended up having to travel there for the 2 hour ride alone with me. We were friends and partied together in the past but I never got a chance to really talk to him. But for those two hours and the rest of the trip, I got to know him well, he was SO interesting! And cute! (when i first met him he wore big glasses, had scruffy hair and a beer gut) But NOW he''d lost 30 lbs, cut his hair and got contacts! Hubba hubba... (no not shallow, he his his cuteness under all that) So the whole weekend he kept hinting to me that he wanted to ask me out. I didn''t get it. Finally he just said, "Look do you want to go to see a movie with me?". And I was like, "um, okay".

The proposal:
We started dating and moved to Ohio together. In July this year we road tripped it up to Niagara Falls. Our first night there we found this awesome Vietnamese restaurant for dinner and I was so happy, I was like, could this day get any better! Then we went then to the top of the skylon tower to look at the Falls illuminated with colored lights and a firework show. It was awesome.

After the crowd left, we stared talking about how much we loved each other. J says, "I was really nervous when I first asked you out. I thought you''d say no. Well, after the 100th time I hinted that I was TRYING TO ask you out." We laughed and made fun of me, and then he says, "well, Im kind of nervous like that right now" Huh? He looked down and I saw the ring in his hand. "will you marry me?"

I started crying and laughing and 10 minutes later, he was like, "YOu never did answer me! Will you marry me?"

And I was like, "Um, Okay"

Oct 15, 2005!

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
Great stories. Keep them coming...........

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Websailor has told some of his proposal story on his “I thought I had 6 months to save” thread but here is my version of the events:

Christmas 1995 – among the gifts I received from websailor was a Brides magazine. I thought maybe the proposal was imminent … Nope

face24.gif

March 1996 – we vacation on the island of Maui Hawaii. One morning I look down at the beach from our hotel room balcony. Someone had written in huge 10’ letters “Will you marry me” in the sand. I get all excited thinking how romantic and say “yes, of course” and websailor then says “that wasn’t from me”. Disappointment again …

emsad.gif

July 1996 – we vacation again staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel (a 4 star place which I paid for). We go to dinner at the Shadowbrook restaurant in Capitola by the sea. It’s a romantic place where you take a gondola down to the restaurant. He insists on ordering a bottle of champagne. I think, well this is strange since we have never before and have never since ordered any bottle of alcoholic beverage at a restaurant. Being the practical one, I said “well since I don’t drink, how about just ordering two glasses of champagne”?

emotion-40.gif

Throughout dinner, I take tiny sips from my glass (don’t particularly care for the taste). Then I decide I should just finish this stuff off and start chug-a-lugging it. Websailor panics and said “Well wait, will you marry me”? I get all excited and accepted his proposal.

36.gif

Since he did not have a ring for me at the time, I switched my 2.05ct D-VS2 Oval that I wore on my right hand to my left and bingo, instant e-ring for the time being. Websailor bought me the pear e-ring later.

12.gif

When we got back home two days later, I was still in the state of bliss. Websailor had been trying to get me to go camping since he met me in February 1995. So I said to him “well, do you want to go camping”. I haven’t seen him move that fast in his life, and he hasn’t since. He had all of his camping equipment by the front door within 15 minutes. The next day we left for Lassen National Park and the first (which he paid for) of many camping trips.

We were married in August 1997 and the rest is history. I like diamonds, fancy hotels, restaurants, and cruises. Websailor likes pizza, hiking boots, computers, and camping.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 10:43
6.gif
0 AM
Author: cflutist

Websailor has told some of his proposal story on his “I thought I had 6 months to save” thread but here is my version of the events:

Since he did not have a ring for me at the time, I switched my 2.05ct D-VS2 Oval that I wore on my right hand to my left and bingo, instant e-ring for the time being. Websailor bought me the pear e-ring later.

12.gif

Cflutist left out the part where she turned all giggly and showed everyone her "engagement ring"... Our waiter, the other waiters, the other diners around us, the hostesses, people waiting for dinner, etc....

Also that she was wearing her little black seductress dress....
41.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock

My FH brought the e-ring in January and showed it to me to make sure that I liked it and he could return it if I wanted (it''s a simple brillient cut diamond in a 6 prong tiffany setting not too hard to get wrong hehehehehehehehe).

Fast forward to September and 8 months of anxious jumpy "is today the day?" moods and we were on holiday to the Whitsunday Islands off the cost of Australia where the Great Barrier reef is (think Finding Nemo) anyway we had been there before I was a bit bummed cause I wanted to go in a helicopter ride over the reef and the islands but we didn''t have time so this time my lovely FH says "we are here longer this time and we can do the helicopter ride and I''ll organise it."

So we arrive at the airport and he''s looking decidedly green which I pass off as flying nerves as he had told me he left the ring at home due to it not being the best possible time but a couple of glasses of bubbly soon put him right. So we are up in the air and I am ohhing and ahhing over the veiws when the helicopter starts to land on a strech of beach on one of the islands and the piolet says he''ll be back in a couple of hours and here''s a picnic lunch (with more bubbly) so we eat our lunch go for a snorkel and we are just walking along the beach when he turns and looks at me and say "F**k I''m nervous w-w-w-w-will y-y-y-y-y-you marry me?" so of course I said yes (after 5years did he think I would say no) And we had a great time on the rest of our trip but didn''t tell anyone til we got home so we could have a few days just to ourselves to enjoy before getting bombarded with the wedding questions.

30.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol....that''s the kind of thing that really makes you love them all the more.
5.gif

Croí

Shiny_Rock
I have so enjoyed reading these - hopefully, soon, I''ll have a story to add. We have been talking and there was mention ( a tad exasperatedly I might add ! hehee) that he has ''things'' planned for around the holidays but he won''t say anything more so I just have to grin and bear it and wait !!

keep the stories coming, they are all fantastic ! :)
congrats to all of you.
emotion-19.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I have finally found the perfect place to gush about my fiance and his proposal and the awesome ring!!!
30.gif

My fiance and I met three years ago at a nightclub in SF... he saw me on the dancefloor and came up to me and started dancing w/me... so anyone who says it can''t happen, it CAN happen!!!! Anyhoo, we''d been ring shopping since april/may-ish, and i knew he was in the process of getting the ring, so I was totally freaking out... like when he was going to ask!! I''m getting so antsy to see my bling bling! that sort of thing. Fastforward to two weeks ago... (this is copied from my website)

I had wanted to go see a show last Friday, but R said he wanted to ‘do something else’ that day, and wouldn’t go into details… so I thought something was up, but it wasn’t until I talked to him Thursday night that I got really suspicious because he seemed awfully excited about this ‘surprise’ of his. I didn’t want to get too excited and set myself up for disappointment… especially since R said the surprise could be a trip to Tahiti… or he might take me bowling (in which case I told him I would go home and cry – I’m not particularly fond of bowling).

R picked me up from work after a day of doing nothing - I was too distracted to be productive even though I kept telling myself not to get all worked up, and I didn’t want to tell anyone in case it didn’t happen, and that would’ve made things ten times worse! As we were driving over the Bridge he asked me to read the directions, and he wasn’t too clever because the directions were printed straight from the website of Gerstle Park Inn.

Once we got there I knew that he was going to propose… it was a beautiful little bed and breakfast in the hills of San Rafael. The owner Jim Dowling showed us around the house and our room, and then left us to ourselves… so R and I took a little stroll around the grounds: there was a croquet lawn, orchard, and garden. We sat down on a little iron bench at the edge of the garden, and he said he had something for me… then he pulled out a little red box and he got down on his knee and asked me to marry him! (awwwww) Everyone keeps asking me whether I cried… I didn’t. I don’t think I could stop smiling! He looked really uncomfortable on the ground, so I had him sit back on the bench with me... and we enjoyed the view of the house and garden at dusk, breathing in the wonderful crisp fall air.. it was so romantic!!

And the ring was gorgeous!!!!!!! i will post on eyecandy!!
no date yet though, we are going to wait for a while...

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock

... so we eat our lunch go for a snorkel and we are just walking along the beach when he turns and looks at me and say ''F**k I''m nervous w-w-w-w-will y-y-y-y-y-you marry me?'' so of course I said yes (after 5years did he think I would say no) ...

omg..i love it! how cute is that?! your story just made my heart go oh!
1.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Thanx he is really confident most of the time so it was really sweet seeing him break out in a sweat over asking me. But it''s been a great story to tell everyone and I really didn''t know he was that rommantic he''s usually such a beer and sports kinda guy I get all mushy and teary remembering it.
39.gif

lynnloves739

Rough_Rock
Mine is a recent story :)

On my birthday my boyfriend of four years wanted to take me out for dinner. I agreed and met him at home. As we were leaving our house he suggested that we leave the living room light on dim so our dogs are calm while we were not home. I was annoyed that he wanted to do that but to avoid arguing with him I agreed and we left together. We went to a steak house for dinner and through the meal he was acting strange, not eating, not talking and driving crazy on the way home. As we pulled in the driveway of our house he said he had one more present for me, he handed me a $25.00 gift certificate to the mall (gee thanks) I walked in the house and he was right behind me. As I walked in I noticed a dozen red and white roses on the coffee table, there was also a silver holder filled with ice and champagned and two champagne glasses. He handed me a small wrapped box and said he had yet another present for me. I sat on the couch and opened the box and saw the ring. It is stunning. He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes.

All along I was curious to know how he had gotten all of that stuff in the house when we left at the same time. Apparently he had one of his friends come over while we were gone, hense the dimmed light :) On the way to dinner he called his friend and made up something so they knew we were gone.

I guess then I knew why he was acting so funny. He did a very nice job IMO.

The ring is:

1/2 carat
round
H
vs1

It is beautiful, I am very simple and I wanted a traditional gold band with the diamond. All I wanted was sparkely and I got it.

Great stories everyone.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lynnloves what a sweet story.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so cute! I love how he threw you with the "decoy" present--I bet you were like, a whole $25!! WOW!! lol
9.gif

Very sweet of him to enlist the friends'' help!
36.gif

lynnloves739

Rough_Rock
You are right....I was thinking "gee thanks ya big @$$, $25.00 whole dollars"

You know how us girls can be
emcry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results