shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell your Proposal Story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I love reading about how someone proposed or was proposed to, so care to share?

Here is my story:

15 years ago, my hubby took me to dinner the night he proposed. I was kicking and screaming since we had just filled the apartment with groceries (yes, we were living in sin) and there was no $$$ for a dinner out. I found a coupon and we went to that restaurant. After dinner, on the way to the car, next to a dumpster behind a Krystal.....he asked me to marry him
rodent.gif
Yes...true story, who could make this stuff up!

No money for a ring, but I didn''t care. I said "Yes" and it was the best decision I''ve ever made!

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Mine was somewhat less than romantic. Hubby said, so are we gonna get married or what? Something like that. We were 18 and I had a bun in the oven. That bun is turning 15 on Halloween and hubby and I are still going strong and more in love than ever, so I guess you could say we beat the odds.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked all the components of my ring out, diamond, etc, and he went out on his own to do it. Our anniversary was coming up and I was just sure it would be then. We went out to the restaurant we had our first meeting at, and after dinner I got the waitress to take our photo together and he said he blinked which is when he whipped it out, I said I KNEW IT! and he said will you marry me? Im sorry I forgot my speech. I said yes and then I KNEW IT! haha. All the folks around us cheered. The whole restaurant staff except for our waitress knew.

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
A normal Saturday morning in January: We got out of bed and just acted lazy...TV, coffee and orange juice...pretty much what we did every morning. Football was on. We were in pajamas and unshowered and not pretty. At one point I went to stand up. I had to empty my bladder- nothing exciting. But he was still laying down, and he grabbed my hands and pulled them over his head. As a result, my body followed and I ended up sprawled on him with my head on his chest.

I stayed put, but I really needed to pee. I looked at him and said, "What?"
"Remember when you said no asking certain things until you were done with school?"
"I said you weren't allowed to ask me any life-altering questions while I was still in school," I said.
"Well, you are done with school," he said. And I had finished three weeks prior.

At this point I'm thinking, "Oh my. He's about to ask me to marry him, isn't he?" All things considered, I was remarkably calm about it...

I said, "Yeah."
He said, "I want to spend the rest of my life with you."
"I know," I said, "and I want that too."
"Will you marry me?" he asked.
I think I turned several shades of pink. I smiled this enormous smile.
"Yes," I said, "of course I'll marry you."

Eventually I DID get to pee...and he laughed at me when I told him that's where I'd been going.

Just after the proposal, the roommate came back with their screaming two-year-old daughter. We hightailed it out of there, spending the afternoon making calls to friends and family. At dinner that night, he said he hadn't given me a ring because he wasn't dumb enough to try to pick something that I would be wearing everyday for the foreseeable future. Instead he gave me a budget, so I got to do the shopping instead. When I got the ring, I met him after work and brought the box with me, so he had the honor of giving me the ring a month late in the middle of a loud Mexican restaurant
9.gif
In the meantime I wore an obnoxious pear CZ ring that is about a 15 carat equivalent (this thing could take your eye out) and SCREAMS "I'm FAKE!" I still wear that ring for fun.

It's silly and not traditional but it is SO "us." Hope you enjoyed...

Stephanie

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Well like Rowan we've beatin' the odds.

But no romance here. It was more like this:

DH: how about Friday

Me: sure

Ahhh love!

reena

Ideal_Rock
this thread is so great!
appl.gif
i actually really love non-traditional proposal stories. they're so real. and i'm glad to see not everyone gets proposed to at the top of the eiffel tower or whatever (not that there's anything wrong with that . . .)

hopefully i'll be able to add my own story soon . . . my honey's under strict instructions NOT to do anything cheesy, so we'll see . . .

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/27/2004 12:22:50 PM sevens one wrote:

Well like Rowan we've beatin' the odds.

But no romance here. It was more like this:

DH: how about Friday

Me: sure

Ahhh love!
----------------

7/1 - Now that is romantic!! I WANT!!!!!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
jcjd-LOL.

18 years

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I love hearing romantic engagement stories. My first one was anything but....and I feel a little bitter about it to this day. The ring was delayed by two months. We had it custom made so I knew all about it. The ring was finally done so we went to pick it up before dinner. At dinner he said, "Well, you know I have it so I guess I better give it to you before you start whining." That was it. I was sad for a long time.

Luckily I think I am going to get another shot at it.
My soon-to-be is extremely romantic
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
7/1 - That was our standard answer for a couple years whenever people would ask "so, when are you getting married?"

Me - Oh I don't know, how does Tuesday look for you?
Him - Nope, I've got that meeting on Tuesday. What about Wednesday?
Me - Yeah, that should work. 3:30 good?
Him - Wednesday at 3:30 it is!

Now that we're FINALLY getting to the almost-engaged stage, I'm trying to convince him of the merits of eloping, but he doesn't seem to be buying it.
2.gif
Congrats on your happy "ending"!!!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/27/2004 12:58:12 PM soulsis wrote:

At dinner he said, 'Well, you know I have it so I guess I better give it to you before you start whining.' That was it. I was sad for a long time.

----------------
What a b*stard! I would've told him to shove it.
rolleyes.gif

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
"Well, you know I have it so I guess I better give it to you before you start whining." That was it. I was sad for a long time.

Wow, how romantic and thoughtful./idealbb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif/idealbb/images/smilies/nono.gif

I'm glad your soon-to-be treats you better! /idealbb/images/smilies/appl.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lived together for 7 years; he began to take the relationship for granted, I move out and buy a house. He has an epiphany that I'm his true love. I decide to continue the relationship as long as we can retreat to separate corners when either of us feel the need for space. I didn't want to marry him and he didn't want to be married to anyone. A year later, he began acting strange starting on a trip to Italy when he kept trying to get me in jewelry stores to "buy a souvenir of the trip." Flash forward a few months....after a really bad day at work I go home to chill out in my 100-year-old tattered dark green bathrobe accessorized with raspberry pink socks. I am in a foul mood. He comes by around 9:30 p.m. and starts pacing the living room. I'm perturbed that he's there. I was watching the finale of The Bachelor (never watched if before, but wanted something to numb my mind before bedtime). I figured he was upset about a patient and wanted to talk about it. He goes to the frig for a snack. Goes to the bathroom, plays with the cats, begins pacing again and just as the bachelor was about to award the final rose, gets on his knees and takes my hand. I figure he's about to lay some bad news on me and I'm scooching around trying to see the TV over his head. He asks me to marry him. I say no. He is stunned, I am further perturbed. Told him I'd think about it but since we had just been through such a rocky time, I still didn't trust that the relationship was built to last. It took me 6 months to say yes.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
It took five years for my pooky to finally ask me. We went together to pick it out. On the way home he wouldn't let me wear it..I could only look at it. When we got home he asked me in our kitchen. He wanted to ask me where we were our most comfortable....I know it doesn't sound romantic (and no..there was no getting on his knees) but it was so sweet the way he asked me. I cried the rest of the day..I'm so sappy
tongue.gif

No big wedding planned. We don't know when we're going to do it or where...but one day we're going to wake up and just decide to run away and do it. We're planning on having a big party for our family and friends when we return. I think it'll be fun!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

*Edited to add: I can't believe I forgot to add this! He has so many pet names for me that when he asked me he went through each name that he has for me before he asked ME. It really was sweet
love.gif
...see? Told you I'm sappy, lol.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone's story is great!!! It really is something you will remember forever and the answer you give is a life changing event and sets you on a new course...hopefully one that lasts a lifetime and is full of loads of happiness
9.gif

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
My story is only 4 days old.... most of you already read it, but what the heck... i'll post it here.
16.gif
but i'll keep it short and sweet.

We left CA last Thursday headed to Bryce Canyon & Zion National Parks for our last road trip of the year.What a sight to see!!Spectacular rock formations and gorgeous colors…!!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

(Bryce National Park)/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

On Saturday, we hiked in snow and muddy-red clay on the Peekaboo Loop Trail (5.5 miles, starting at 8,300 ft.).After the hike, some rest and a nice dinner, I retired for the evening.Near midnight, Jim asked me to go with him to the lodge lobby to see “something neat”.He lead me to the fireplace, and then ……………../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

(Bryce Canyon Lodge fireplace)/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

He held me in his arms and he asked me, “If you could wish for anything to make this a perfect weekend, what would you wish for?”I said, “To be your wife!” Then he said, “Wish granted!!Will you marry me?”I answered, “YES, YES, YES!Ok, now pinch me.Is this real?” /idealbb/images/smilies/eek.gifIt was sweet, special and romantic.A few days have passed and I’m still in shock.I’m still soaking it all in.(I’m in cloud 9…. and i think i'll stay there for a while...) /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

Ivy

Shiny_Rock

I suppose it wasn't crazy romantic (no Eiffel Tower)
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

2.gif
, but it was nice. at almost the 3 year mark, he told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life showing me how much he loved me (no ring at the time). had he asked me to go to city hall and "just do it", i would have. we started planning a formal wedding, but soon discovered that neither enjoyed it. so we went to jamaica this past july and got married there (just the two of us). after we returned our family had a gathering for us. short and sweet and just how we wanted it. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

He's not one for shopping around so that's when I discovered Pricescope and I took over (whew!). Though a small (very small) part of me wishes that the ring would have been a surprise and I'm glad that I chose a ring that I will always love (that is unless shrinkage sets in

11.gif
).

Everyday we let each other know how much we love each other. Like his mom says, "you two were just meant to be together". I love my mom-in-law...A LOT!

9.gif

13.gif
13.gif
Just had to show my Sweetie.
13.gif
13.gif

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

our wedding.jpg

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread.... The non-traditional-proposals cracked me up. They had me rolling. Good thing I'm not eating or drinking at this moment. I would need a wiper for my computer monitor. To me, every story is unique and special in its own way. It is something between you and your mate.

Bottom line is... there is NO rules to any proposal. I'm just glad to know how creative these men are/were. /idealbb/images/smilies/appl.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/27/2004 12:25:56 PM reena wrote:

and i'm glad to see not everyone gets proposed to at the top of the eiffel tower or whatever----------------

LMAO... my real dad proposed to my stepmom on top of the Eiffel Tower at the conclusion of a 6-week tour of Europe.
9.gif

My mom and stepdad, however, don't have such a great story. They were both military, been dating about eight weeks, and were about to be transferred to opposite coasts. My mom was studying hard for a test in her room when my (soon-to-be) stepdad asked her to come down to the mess hall. She wasn't easy to convince, and after much griping finally made her way down to see what he wanted. He tossed the ring box at her and told her to "think about it". And left.

Not the most romantic, but I look at my father and I look at my dad and if I had to, I'd take a proposal over the phone while I was sitting on the pot if it guaranteed me a husband like he's been to my mom.
1.gif

I hope to be able to add my own story here someday!! I'll resurrect this five-year-old thread if I have to!!!!
9.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I was TOTALLY surprised. We met on Match.com – I only said yes to dating him because he offered to take me to a a NJ Devils hockey game.

1 year and a few months later, after the Devils won the Stanley Cup, we went up to the hockey hall of fame in Toronto. When we went to take a picture in front of the cup, (which is a tradition of ours) he got down on 1 knee and proposed! I had NO IDEA. We have taken many pictures with the cup throughout our dating,– so it was so PERFECT for us! The best part – his sister was there and she has it on video tape!! It was totally romantic and totally “us”.
love.gif

RE: the ring - I was so shocked that he proposed that I walked away wit hte ring boxin my hand, and he was like, "are ya gonna put it on?"

He gave me a solitaire and said I could pick the setting. Luckily our jewler knew what he was doing, and sold him and idfeal cut - if he hadn't been so helpful, who knows what we would have wound up with!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Mine was non-traditional as well. We had gone ring shopping together, and I had picked out the stone and setting. We picked up the ring the day we left for a wedding in England, and I couldn''t resist, so I tried it on. My now-husband told me to keep it on as he wanted to propose in England (he was going to wait a few months till our anniversary before) and he thought the safest place for the ring was on my finger. We also were staying in a youth hostel and he didn''t trust leaving it there either.

So, I wore the ring for about 5 days before he proposed. He kept trying to do it in various spots around London, but was interrupted or felt the timing wasn''t right. So finally we were in a small garden with a little playground in the background, just the two of us, when he knelt down, said some loving words, and pulled the ring off my finger- since walking around, my finger had gotten swollen and he had a tough time taking it off- then had to jam it back on when I said yes.

It was a private, sweet, totally us moment and knowing about the ring and the imminent proposal didn''t detract from the specialness at all. And we just got married on Oct. 8, so I''m so excited!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread. It makes me weepy! I want more!

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for sharing! It made my Monday to read these. Do keep them coming.

I hope I will be able to add my story here soon.
2.gif
Until then...I think I will use the "How about next Tuesday?" Routine when people ask us when we''re getting married (which is constantly).

Thanks again for sharing. I feel like I know you all.

-Sarah

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
I am loving all these stories. I love the non-traditional ones the best, especially the ones without the ring. Good to know, that you aren''t the only one.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock

Okay, here''s mine.... After a crazy Saturday of running around we are just lounging around the house after hectic day. Dear fiance asked, "you want to open your birthday presents now?" I was kind of wishy-washy about it. I think that surprised him because I usually am all about immediate gratification. So he says, "are you sure you don''t want to open them", and of course I give in. He hands me a card, and I open it, it''s very meaning fully and sweet, nearly gushy, and of course, I start to cry. Inside the card is a gift certificate for a personal trainer at our gym. Exactly what I wanted.

Then, he hands me this huge, heavy box. And I am thinking, what did I ask for? Books? What is this? So I open it, and it''s an absolutely beautiful jewelry box. I open the top cover, and in are the Tiffany earrings that match the ring he got me in Vegas a few years ago. So, I am playing with them, and trying them on, and looking in the mirror at them, and thanking him for them, and he says, "you know, there is a drawer in there too." So I open the drawer, and there is another card. I open it, and it''s got a big picture of an engagement ring on the front of it and reads "Here''s to the ring" and inside, "the ring of your upcoming wedding bells. " And in his writing at the bottom, "Please marry me."

I was so happily shocked! I said (thru tears of joy), "You''ve got to say it", and he said, "Please marry me", and I said "Yes". And then I said, "Say it again.. about five times until he said okay that''s enough.

We went ring shopping the next week and got a ring we both adore and are now in the midst of planning our wedding for July 2, 2005. Keep these stories coming, the cheer up a gloomy monday afternoon.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
" I said (thru tears of joy), "You''ve got to say it", and he said, "Please marry me", and I said "Yes". And then I said, "Say it again.. about five times until he said okay that''s enough."

That made me lol. What a sweet story. I love it.
36.gif

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
THIS JUST HAPPENED ON OCT 14,2004

WE WENTTO MEDIEVALTIMES TO CELEBRATE WHAT I THOUGHT WAS 3 BIRTHDAYS. WE HAD A GROUP OF 25 OF US. CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY. I KNEW MY BOYFRIEND WOULD PROPOSE AT ANY TIME BUT I WAS NOT EXPECTING IT TO BE THERE. MY BOYFRIEND TOLD ME THAT WE HAD ALL PURCHASED SPECIAL SEATING SO I THOUGH NOTHING OF IT. WHILE I WAS IN THE LADIES ROOM I STARTING HEARING MY NAMED CALLED OUT ON THE PA SYSTEM. I THOUGH SINCE WE HAD SPECIAL TICKETS WE WERE GOING TO GET SEATED FIRST. I WENT OUT AND MEET MY GROUP. I ASKED, WHY WAS MY NAME BEING CALLED? ARE WE GOING INSIDE NOW? MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THEY WERE WAITING FOR ME TO TAKE SOME PICTURES FIRST. SO I PROCEEDED TO THE STAGE. THE KING AND QUEEN HAD PLACED A CROWN AND CAPE ON BOTH ME AND MY BOYFRIEND AND DECLARED US BOTH LORD AND LADIES OF THE NIGHT. ALL OF THE SUDDEN MY BOYFRIEND DROPPED ON HIS KNEES AND PROPOSED IN FRONT OF 1000 PEOPLE WITH A MICROPHONE. I WAS IN SHOCK. MY BOYFRIEND IS A VERY SHY PERSON SO FOR HIM TO DO THAT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE IT WAS VERY SWEET AND ROMANTIC. AFTER HE PROPOSED EVERYONE WAS CHEERING AND THE GAMES BEGUN. WHEN THE GAMES ENDED I HAD TONS OF PEOPLE GIVING ME GREAT ADVICE ON MARRIAGE. SO NOW I''M OFFICIALLY ENGAGED!

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
I had been with then boyfriend for 4 years. We began to co habitate and then habitate. A few months later his parents came to stay with us for a week in our 1000 sq ft condo.

For a week I cooked for them cleaned for them and played perfect hostess.

They left to go sightseeing in another city and the weather was so bad they called to say they were gonna comeback for another week.

I looked at my boyfriend and said- forget it buddy, you owe me, either buy me a ring or they get a hotel.

We have been married for 10 years, and although its never been dull I had no idea when I married him how much I would grow to love him in that time.

At the time I thought he owed me.

I now realize its the best blessing that has ever happened.

Plus I learned the best way to get along with the mother in law is to keep her drinking.

Good to learn before the wedding.

P.S.

It still works.

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
Ok here goes! This past July, my bf (now FI) & I were watching a local show called "TV Diner", and that's where we heard about a Harpoon Brewery Festival in Windsor, VT 2 weeks away. We decided to make a romantic weekend getaway of it, and rented a room at a gorgeous B&B up in the mountains of VT. In the 2 weeks leading up to the trip, bf seemed overly excited every time he came home from work (we live together!) and was frequently late coming home (because he was apparently getting the ring made). I remember thinking, "hmm I wonder if he's getting a ring" but I nixed that thought, because he kept telling me he wouldn't be able to afford it for a year or so. So the weekend finally comes, and we drove up in the pouring rain to Vermont. As the car climbed the mountain up to the inn, the rain stopped. Once we got there, it was a beautiful night and the Inn looked so magical from the outside. We signed in and went up to our room, where I (being the nerd that I am) read about local attractions and the history of the Inn. Bf told me he had something for me, and he gave me a long love letter about how much he loved me and how our "souls were intertwined forever" - we both cried and hugged. However, there were no words like "propose" or "marriage", it was just a beautiful letter. Then he pulled out a box of Teucher chocolates, all wrapped up and sealed. It took me forever to unwrap it and get the sticker off, then I opened it up and in the middle of the box was my ring! Again, we cried and hugged, then he said "will you marry me?" and I said "of course", and he slipped it on my finger. We cuddled and cried and smiled for awhile, then called our parents and closest friends and family. Since then, we've decided on a June 17, 2006 wedding date and it will be in my homestate of Maine. So exciting!! Keep the stories coming!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love everyone''s proposals
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You will remember it forever!!

My hubby gets angry with me when we pass by the Marietta, Ga Square and I point out the dumpster behind the Kystal (Whitecastle for you Northerners
9.gif
) and say there it is!! There is where you asked the question that changed your life
41.gif

He just can''t get past that what I seem to remember most is being in front of the dumpster...LOL

I have a really twisted sense of humor
19.gif

Keep those stories coming
emcocktl.gif
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results