shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me how much I overspent

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn’t the gem I currently have a moderately treated dark subcarat gem? Albeit, not from Muzo. 8k would be out of my price range. Is this all a pipe dream for me?
Your stone is Zambian, and more included probably, as well as we don’t know the treatment amount on it. If you were to view both stones in person side by side, the differences in quality would leap out at you.

ETA: you stated your stone is moderately treated.
That can mean a huge difference in price. This Muzo gem is probably minor treatment at worst.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess anything $4,000 or less. I think anything larger than 2.5 ct would be too much. She only likes darker stones, many of the stones I am seeing are incredibly light.
Unfortunately, with that budget, you won’t get a fine darker stone above a carat. You may get a pretty commercial quality stone, and that’s fine, but you have to remember that emeralds are typically clarity enhanced, and the resin used can sometimes dissipate. The result is a gem that looks more included as time passes. Lighter stones are easier to find with less inclusions.

Also some darker stones look blackish and are unattractive. Do not confuse fine color with darkness. The color must be fine as well.

Last edited:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not really possible to compare stones from different vendors based on a photograph. Emeralds are the most difficult stones to photograph well, as most digital cameras have a real hard time capturing the green color accurately. To compare subtile color differences from photos is just not possible. Also the photos tend to show inclusions much more than you will see in person. I have 2 Nikon cameras and an Olympus, and photos of the same stone from each cameral look dramatically different. Actually the iPhone color looks the closest to the real stone, but still doesn't capture the color correctly.
I would think that most sites that deal with emeralds a lot, are manipulating the color in some post processing application. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if the are adjusting to the color to look more like that actual stone.

As anyone who has purchased any of the lab emeralds I have cut can attest, the stone in person looks nothing like the photo. (It's much nicer in person)

I wouldn't worry about location, there are junk quality emeralds from Muzo and Gem quality emeralds from Zambia. Just because a stone comes from a certain location, doesn't mean it's better than one from a different location.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
97239B5F-7675-493E-9523-825606C29323.jpeg While photography can be manipulated to capture the more accurate hue of an emerald, it completely fails as capturing that 3D quality of fine sheen that the finest emeralds have. That’s why of all gemstones, IMO, emeralds for purchase are best viewed in person. If purchasing online, make sure the company had a solid return policy. So for example, I tried so hard to get a photo of the true hue of this emerald (mind you it’s a darker Columbian stone but not top quality), with an iPhone 6s. However, I cannot capture the velvety quality of this stone. It’s just impossible.

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock
Better, but I don't like it. I don't think it looks lively at all, and will appear flat and overly dark IRL.

Thanks for your help. I think I’ll stick with my overpriced rock.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help. I think I’ll stick with my overpriced rock.
Well make sure that your jeweler is very careful with it, and do not put it in an ultrasonic cleaner or use a steam cleaner on it or harsh cleaners.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock
I like both much better than the 2 options you had before! I would email them and ask about how much it would cost to get a certification for them that confirms the level of treatment, even if it means you footing the $150 bill (at first).

I will do that, but first let me see if I can get a refund on the old gem.

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock
I like both much better than the 2 options you had before! I would email them and ask about how much it would cost to get a certification for them that confirms the level of treatment, even if it means you footing the $150 bill (at first).
Looks like the layaway “sale is final.” What snakes, never told me that up front.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Search around the site, does it say so clearly somewhere? (preferably in words bigger than 1mm not in the last page you'd look on the site). You can maybe appeal that especially if you paid with PayPal

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Also, it sounds like a very insidious selling practice/technique.

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock
Search around the site, does it say so clearly somewhere? (preferably in words bigger than 1mm not in the last page you'd look on the site). You can maybe appeal that especially if you paid with PayPal
I didn’t pay with PayPal, but there is nothing on the website saying that it is final.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t pay with PayPal, but there is nothing on the website saying that it is final.
If there's nothing on the website saying that layaway = final sale (even in the returns section, etc), then you can appeal with your credit card company.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would appeal the crap out of it.
https://www.brilliantearth.com/30-Day-Returns/

Zero about this on the returns page. And nothing about layaway = no returns here either: https://www.brilliantearth.com/flexible-payment-options/

PS. if they didn't disclose any of this and won't let you return anyway, then what's to stop you from just ceasing to make payments on it? That doesn't make any sense as a policy. Either they have some kind of "restock" fee that kicks in if someone stops paying/decides they don't want the item, or it's subject to the normal return policy. They can't just decide 'too bad, you have to pay and can't ever return it' unless it's EXPLICITLY stated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I'm chatting with them right now and they just told me all layaway is eligible for 30 day return. You can return within 30 days of when it's eligible for shipment, which apparently means it's 50% paid for.

I'm having this transcript sent to my email so you can reference it directly.

kruler2113

Shiny_Rock
Also, I'm chatting with them right now and they just told me all layaway is eligible for 30 day return. You can return within 30 days of when it's eligible for shipment, which apparently means it's 50% paid for.

I'm having this transcript sent to my email so you can reference it directly.
First of all, thank you everyone for your help so far, hopefully we can get this figured out! That is good news I think. If I understand correctly, at the very least I could pay of 50% then get my refund. What a nightmare I created

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, thank you everyone for your help so far, hopefully we can get this figured out! That is good news I think. If I understand correctly, at the very least I could pay of 50% then get my refund. What a nightmare I created
That is my understanding, but I would call them directly and ask if you can get your refund NOW rather than waiting until you pay 50% to get refunded, which just seems moronic. Either way, it's definitely NOT final sale.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great!!
:) I get furious when companies try to lie or do the wrong thing. So I hope this helps. I freaking hate BE, they are horrible.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Is this 30-day 50% policy written anywhere in the sales contract?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These people are freaking idiots who don't even know their own policies. @kruler2113 check ALL THE FINE PRINT on your order confirmation. Because I don't think they know anything about their policy, and they are just making it up as they go. If it's not in the sales contract or anywhere in your confirmation then it's BS and they can't enforce it.

Here's what they just emailed me (5 min after she said something different in chat).

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.21.11 AM.png

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
These people are freaking idiots who don't even know their own policies. @kruler2113 check ALL THE FINE PRINT on your order confirmation. Because I don't think they know anything about their policy, and they are just making it up as they go. If it's not in the sales contract or anywhere in your confirmation then it's BS and they can't enforce it.

Here's what they just emailed me (5 min after she said something different in chat).

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.21.11 AM.png
:doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results