carat
color
clarity

Tell me about your luxury car!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paid £600 for my car :lol: lol

If I stretched to £1000, I could probably pick up a decent Lexus LS400/LS430 - that's how cheap they are now, but it's finding that lump sum up front that's the issue! (then the insurance, then the car tax, then the petrol... :roll: lol)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I don't own a car. Where we live, cars are horrendously expensive - you have to pay for the cost of the car, which is already expensive due to high duties / taxes, and then you get slapped with the cost of the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) which costs almost as much as the car itself - our dear govt decided a few years ago to jack up the price of the COE to fill their already over-flowing coffer!!:blackeye: So, to look at something simple like a Daihatsu Charade, you'd have to be prepared to fork out well over USD100k (last I checked, might be even more now). Luxury cars like Merc, BMW, Lexus would set you back several hundred thousand dollars. Forget about Porche, Maserati, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. - those would be around the 1mil mark, if not more!

So we take taxis, ubers, or public transport (the latter of which is extremely efficient, clean, safe and super affordable).

Funny thing is I was actually offered by DH, like 10 yrs ago, before the COE shot through the roof, the choice of a secondhand Porche or a 3 carat diamond ring. And I took the latter!:lol: Guess which forum I joined shortly after that!!;-):lol-2:

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a big hairy dog, so mud and soggy doggy are not conducive to a luxury car :lol:

I've got a practical Kia Sportage GT line.

IMG_1524.JPG

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a BMW X3.. not sure if it falls into luxury, its works for 2 old geezers in the winter with their dog.

I had a 2005 MB E320 for 6 years, that was a fun fun car, if you want to kill yourself, as I used to drive on a road in Austin from called 2222, that road has twists and turns, I was able to go around corners going VERY fast.. so fast I decided in 2011 to say bye bye to my MB..! Got a 2011 Lexus ES Hybrid, THAT car was luxurious as opposed to German tight control, I felt rich in that car.. everything was high end.. beautiful leather... and it was good on gas mileage, but in 2012 my husband decided I had to get rid of it to buy the current BMW X3 as we were planning our escape to winterland and he wanted to go down to 1 car (I was okay with it).. from 2 and so we needed an SUV...

I have had other BMWs, Volvos, an Audi A4... next car will be a used Subaru or something.. we decided to go with features and we don't live in an area that is all high end vehicles. (keeping up with the neighbors, although). Plus we aren't making those glorious big big bucks :)

After visiting Europe a bunch of times I decided that all the taxis there are MBs, so that is when I changed over to BMW.

I had a Ford Explorer for years when the boys were young.. worked fine, till it died.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I don't own a car. Where we live, cars are horrendously expensive - you have to pay for the cost of the car, which is already expensive due to high duties / taxes, and then you get slapped with the cost of the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) which costs almost as much as the car itself - our dear govt decided a few years ago to jack up the price of the COE to fill their already over-flowing coffer!!:blackeye: So, to look at something simple like a Daihatsu Charade, you'd have to be prepared to fork out well over USD100k (last I checked, might be even more now). Luxury cars like Merc, BMW, Lexus would set you back several hundred thousand dollars. Forget about Porche, Maserati, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. - those would be around the 1mil mark, if not more!

So we take taxis, ubers, or public transport (the latter of which is extremely efficient, clean, safe and super affordable).

Funny thing is I was actually offered by DH, like 10 yrs ago, before the COE shot through the roof, the choice of a secondhand Porche or a 3 carat diamond ring. And I took the latter!:lol: Guess which forum I joined shortly after that!!;-):lol-2:
This is so sad!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2014 Audi Q7 with Premium Plus package. I love everything about it except the expensive upkeep. Brakes and tires run about 3K a year. However, since I live in Socal, half of my life is spent in my car, so I appreciate having a nice car. Before this car, I had a Lexus RX330 for 10 years. I would have to say, that Lexus is the best bang for the buck. The base package had enough bells and whistles for me, and when my Audi Q7 dies, I'll be getting another Lexus.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2014 Audi Q7 with Premium Plus package. I love everything about it except the expensive upkeep. Brakes and tires run about 3K a year. However, since I live in Socal, half of my life is spent in my car, so I appreciate having a nice car. Before this car, I had a Lexus RX330 for 10 years. I would have to say, that Lexus is the best bang for the buck. The base package had enough bells and whistles for me, and when my Audi Q7 dies, I'll be getting another Lexus.

Upkeep. Word. I love our MB's--but regret NOT buying the extended warranty on our SUV. One always says...."oh they'll never break down...".

I agree with you on the value of Lexus.

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CJ2008 I love my Honda. I've had it for maybe 8 years now and it really fits me. I mean that the sensitivity of the steering, the brakes, the acceleration all feel like an extension of my muscles, limbs and mind. The only other car that seemed to "fit" me even better was my Acura TL, which my DH drives now. I have had My Acura for almost 15 years now, and other than changing the timing Belt and regular maintence, we have had no issues. I could not be more satisfied with a car. I am hoping the same longevity with my Honda. Reliability and safety are of utmost importance to me and both of these cars did not disappoint.
I am not aware enough to appreciate the differences in performance but I can see that people who are would want it and be willing to pay for it. That is great that some people really enjoy the exercise of driving and can find the experience more enjoyable with certain cars.
Maybe someday if we have the money and I find the driving experience of certain cars to be worth the extra expense I may indulge too. For now, I just care about safety, reliability and sufficient performance to get me where I need to go.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has a MB GL450 and I have a BMW 528 with the premium package and other options that I just got in February. We both love our cars!
The MB is a really smooth quiet ride. We have four kids and we love the option of the third row seats that go up and down with a push of a button. It just rides really nice but gas for it is expensive. It's also great in the winter.
My BMW was a gift from my husband but I got to pick the color and interior that I wanted and the options. I got metallic white with a cinnamon brown interior! I absolutely love it! The best feature is the heads up display which shows my GPS right in front of me. I don't like driving and get nervous when I have to drive far, so I love that feature. And I love the heated steering wheel and seats.
I looked at the MB E class and the Audi A6 and A4 as well, but once I sat in the BMW I knew that was the car for me.
We also have a Honda Odyssey Touring for the family. But the BMW is really my baby as I'm the only one who drives it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sad!

Why is it sad? Or were you being tongue-in-cheek? Lol

If you weren't, we don't really miss having a car. We actually did have a Daihatsu Charade initially and that was nice for a while - til the govt raised the COE. Most/ many (?) Singaporeans own cars - usually paid for by financing over several years. We just chose not to have this debt. Life is not bad here/ good even. Can't complain really.:)

With that said, however, if we ever moved to another country, I'd totally have a sports car, like a Beemer or a Lexus, or even a Maserati. I rented a sports Beemer while on holiday in Spain last year and lived it up for a full 2 weeks!!:dance:

Last edited:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Cars are ridiculously expensive in SE Asia. Anything is considered as luxurious lol.

I drive a 2006 Honda Civic. Enjoying my no-car-payment life for 7 years or so. I get to buy blings. Those are my luxurious cars... They're on my fingers... :lol:

Seriously though, I've never been a car person. I'll drive my 2006 Civic to the ground. No serious problems, very reliable, just the usual maintenances.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a big huge 2016 Chevy suburban that I am in love with! I can pack my kids, a couple of friends, and the dog in it and still have room for luggage. It is the high end suburban so it is luxury for me. My other car is a Porsche 911 cabriolet that my husband gave me a few years ago. It's really not me so I rarely drive it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, loaners are a big deal.
If you're leasing and the brand offers loaners, you're always covered and don't have to worry about how expensive maintenance is beyond warranty. Plus the high-end dealers have nicer service areas, and generally attempt to be more responsive than the Honda/Toyota dealers around here.
BMW offers two oil changes and you only need one a year- so on a 3 year lease you pay for one oil change- and that's it.
We have a BMW M4 and stupid little things have happened ( a scraping noise from the brake shield, now a warning light which is a hose on the intercooler)
After I brought it in once to have them fix it and they failed with the brake shield, they came to my place with a loaner, and picked up my car and fixed it this time.
Of course you pay for it, but if you go for the smaller BMW's, and don't go for the high end options, you can get one for not all that much more than a "normal" car.
I have a 230 as a loaner right now, and it rocks.
BTW- in this case, it turns out my car needs to stay at the dealership for two weeks waiting for part from Germany- and they didn't balk at letting us keep the loaner for the two weeks.

Loved reading your insights on the differences between luxury brand service versus "regular" service.

How has leasing worked for you? Do you ever worry about going over the miles. I know that's the biggest thing people mention they don't like about leasing.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I have any pictures without the license plate, but it's this one http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...introduces-beetle-convertible-denim-gallery#7

I'm not entirely sure about the engine levels for Audi. I just found that their base models didn't perform as well as base level Mercedes. That was a let down because the dealer made such a big deal about it being a step up.

We really like the diesel. We get amazing mileage, well over 1000 km on one tank. It does require more maintenance though because it has a urea tank in the trunk to meet emissions standards. Better than a cheat mechanism I suppose...

To be honest we have really stepped back from Audi so not entirely sure about their current offerings. We test drove, but we weren't serious. As far as trim packages go, we have started making a list of must haves and then seeing which packages we would need. Interesting because our glk would have been so much more expensive had we bought the 2016 rather than 2015. We wanted the blindspot sensors, sun roof, and satellite radio. These were all in one package in 2015, but separated on the 2016. It does get really confusing overall. That's the fun of the car show though, you can sit in different levels of car and see what each has to offer as far as interior design.

My bosses have had a string of high end cars and I find it really interesting to listen to their complaints. The Audi A7 had sportier suspension than my one boss was used to so he hated it and sold it asap. He said he could feel every imperfection in the road and he hated it. He also has a Porsche convertible and a tesla. He has no issues with the Porsche, but the tesla doesn't have hooks for dry cleaning, nor a map holder (where he keeps his gloves). Thought that was interesting. Other boss has always had BMW convertibles. Not sure the exact models, but over 100k. The last one was glitchy beyond all reason and it was in the shop more than he actually had it at home. At one point it needed new seats and seat belts because of some malfunction where the seat belts retracted all of a sudden when he was driving. He now drives a Mercedes E 550. Other boss has historically driven Mercedes CLS 550s before the Audi A7 and the tesla. I believe he switched because the A7 was a good deal slightly used and then the tesla saves on gas and is just cool from an environmental standpoint.

The work parking lot is fun.

That parking lot IS fun! But seriously, how cool that you get to actually hear experiences with these brands first hand.

I think you're absolutely right about the trim packages. The smartest way - and the only way to stay sane! - is to say we want, a, b, c and d. Which packages offer that? We do that and it definitely helps I just wish salespeople were better informed to really be able to help put a car together with accurate details (e.g., "well, you can get that with packages c and d. c is cheaper. The difference with d is that you also get x for x more") and that you can trust (sometimes I think they tell you what you want to hear they don't worry too much about accuracy.)

Thanks for the feedback about the Diesel. I would really consider one. I think DH says he doesn't like how they sound (I couldn't care less, if they offered the same performance).

From what I'm gathering here - not just from you but others too - is that Audi leaves something to be desired...

ETA oh! forgot to say, your car is so pretty! Very cute.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CJ2008 I love my Honda. I've had it for maybe 8 years now and it really fits me. I mean that the sensitivity of the steering, the brakes, the acceleration all feel like an extension of my muscles, limbs and mind. The only other car that seemed to "fit" me even better was my Acura TL, which my DH drives now. I have had My Acura for almost 15 years now, and other than changing the timing Belt and regular maintence, we have had no issues. I could not be more satisfied with a car. I am hoping the same longevity with my Honda. Reliability and safety are of utmost importance to me and both of these cars did not disappoint.
I am not aware enough to appreciate the differences in performance but I can see that people who are would want it and be willing to pay for it. That is great that some people really enjoy the exercise of driving and can find the experience more enjoyable with certain cars.
Maybe someday if we have the money and I find the driving experience of certain cars to be worth the extra expense I may indulge too. For now, I just care about safety, reliability and sufficient performance to get me where I need to go.

Thanks for sharing LLJSMOM (sounds like you really love your car, that's awesome you still feel that way after a few years.)

I feel the same way you do about cars - they need to have good safety and reliability ratings, and the performance needs to be "good enough" in relation to its price tag. That for me is the basis for any car purchase.

Ideally, I'd have a car to satisfy my logical / smart side that I can put miles on.

And a beautiful luxury one just because, that I didn't have to worry about reliability but just be able to purchase it for looks and performance alone.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a BMW, but my fantasy car which unless I win Lotto that I will probably never own is an Aston Martin, many luxury cars cost a lot in Australia due to high taxes and duties.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a BMW, but my fantasy car which unless I win Lotto that I will probably never own is an Aston Martin, many luxury cars cost a lot in Australia due to high taxes and duties.

Loooove Aston Martin! Such a SEXY car!!:love::love::love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two Lexus cars and finally traded in for a Lexus GX350 SUV. It is much easier to get in and out of laterally than a car and my creaking knees appreciate that! I had an Acura TL before Lexus and loved that car. However, the ac went out after several years and the dealership told us that they could try to fix it but not guarantee it. Hubby said no and we're not buying another Acura. So off to Lexus we went.

I couldn't be more pleased with their vehicles. Driving them feels like you are driving a substantial weight vehicle and they are beautifully appointed. I have never developed a squeak or noise in any of them - either interior or exterior. Squeaks in a vehicle drive me wild! I am not a speed demon by any means but when I step on it to get out of the way or whatever, I like the responsiveness of my car. It does have features that I don't use because of bundling but the main ones that I appreciate are in this vehicle. After having driven cars, I so appreciate sitting up higher in this SUV. I am relatively short so this makes me feel more in control of the vehicle and certainly gives me a better vantage point sight wise. I certainly could have chosen a less expensive car as I drive mainly locally but this is an extravagance that I love having!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
That parking lot IS fun! But seriously, how cool that you get to actually hear experiences with these brands first hand.

I think you're absolutely right about the trim packages. The smartest way - and the only way to stay sane! - is to say we want, a, b, c and d. Which packages offer that? We do that and it definitely helps I just wish salespeople were better informed to really be able to help put a car together with accurate details (e.g., "well, you can get that with packages c and d. c is cheaper. The difference with d is that you also get x for x more") and that you can trust (sometimes I think they tell you what you want to hear they don't worry too much about accuracy.)

Thanks for the feedback about the Diesel. I would really consider one. I think DH says he doesn't like how they sound (I couldn't care less, if they offered the same performance).

From what I'm gathering here - not just from you but others too - is that Audi leaves something to be desired...

ETA oh! forgot to say, your car is so pretty! Very cute.

The Diesel is louder. It reminds be of Bowser in the original Mario Kart (I'm a retro game nerd). I kind of like it! It feels and sounds powerful.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I think what resonated with me the most is the idea that many of us spend so much time in our cars, that we want to enjoy the experience. And this has been my mentality as well. I drove and loved my 2010 ML350 for many years, but as it hit the 8 year mark, it wasn't so luxurious anymore! It was quite dated when compared to hubby's new Accord. And since he bought his Accord last year, we had started to drive that more Bc we saved tons of money on gas. We are drivers who put 20k miles on one car a year. 20k miles a year really depreciates a luxury car's value and even with extended warranty-- at some point we would have exceeded the mileage for coverage had we not switched over to driving the Accord. So after reflecting, I can say that for now, it doesn't make financial sense for us to indulge in this extravagance when the Accord seems to suit our lifestyle more. So I sold the ml350 and am going to save the cash. Save lots of money on insurance and maintenance. I should add that hubby has a work truck, so I'm sliding over into the Accord. Lol. I hope people keep chiming in Bc it's fascinating to see people's perceptions on cars, esp on a diamond forum.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Tesla Model 3 is going to start shipping soon!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I'd like in my next life...A Bugatti Chiron, for ONLY USD3mil!....Yeah, right!!:roll::lol:

http://www.caranddriver.com/bugatti/chiron
7061.jpg

It's not even in the USA yet! If you guys are interested, you should read abt the profile of the average Bugatti buyer!! OMG!!:$$)::ugeek:...nothing average about them, I tell ya!!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Black with cream leather and horsepower enough. It was love at first sight:lol:

IMG_3034.JPG

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, looks like other buyers came to the same decision as you. Luxury car sales are down for 2017 based on latest sales report.

TBH, I hope that I bought my last car this past year. Cadillac came out with new car sharing program called Book that lets you reserve and drive any Caddy in inventory for flat monthly fee. All maintenance and insurance included. It's pricey but hopefully prices come down as more companies join this model. I think we'll look at this option when it's time to replace our older car.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I graduated from pharmacy school, I wanted a new car. The cars I'd driven previously were a little Toyota Tercel, an OLD Honda Accord, and a VW Passat... so I wanted something fun!! I ended up buying a brand-spanking-new 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe. It was sleek, fast, and I loved it! I drove that car for ELEVEN YEARS and put over 220K miles on it -- and I never did anything except change the oil! It was the best car I've ever had... I still miss it.

When we found out we were having a baby, the 2-door had to go, so we bought a pre-owned 2008 Lexus LS 460 with low mileage. It's a sweet car, and I always forget to turn it off because it's so quiet! I think the G35 is a symbol of my youth, so I still think about it... but I can't complain about the Lexus. We've really enjoyed it!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I graduated from pharmacy school, I wanted a new car. The cars I'd driven previously were a little Toyota Tercel, an OLD Honda Accord, and a VW Passat... so I wanted something fun!! I ended up buying a brand-spanking-new 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe. It was sleek, fast, and I loved it! I drove that car for ELEVEN YEARS and put over 220K miles on it -- and I never did anything except change the oil! It was the best car I've ever had... I still miss it.

When we found out we were having a baby, the 2-door had to go, so we bought a pre-owned 2008 Lexus LS 460 with low mileage. It's a sweet car, and I always forget to turn it off because it's so quiet! I think the G35 is a symbol of my youth, so I still think about it... but I can't complain about the Lexus. We've really enjoyed it!
Funny you mention the Infiniti! It was actually the one preowned car that I was considering! I'm glad to know that it ran 225k miles!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you mention the Infiniti! It was actually the one preowned car that I was considering! I'm glad to know that it ran 225k miles!

I can't speak for others, but I had a great experience with Infiniti. I ended up selling it to a local guy in the Summer of 2015 and even see it on the road once in a blue moon... That car seemed bullet-proof (and I abused the HELL out of it!)... Most Japanese cars should run well past 200K miles though. My dad has an '02 Accord with 386K+ miles and still going strong!

The only new car my parents ever bought was when we were very young. It was an '84 Subaru hatchback. They traded it for another (larger) Subaru around '87-'88. It had over 300K miles on it (the only reason I know this is because my dad references this story a lot :lol-2:)! The last time he saw the guy who bought it (and got to talk to him) was about 5 years ago, and -- I KID YOU NOT -- he was still driving that little hatchback, and it had over 800K miles on it!! #truestory :geek:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been raining basically since we brought it home, so it's just sitting in the garage. DH is a car guy. This is replacing the Cadillac CTS-V.

(It is a corvette for those who can't make it out-- not a great pic)
IMG_1666.JPG

The V had a super charged corvette engine, so this is basically a squinchy V. Lol

ETA: found a better picture of it
IMG_1331.JPG

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been raining basically since we brought it home, so it's just sitting in the garage. DH is a car guy. This is replacing the Cadillac CTS-V.

(It is a corvette for those who can't make it out-- not a great pic)
IMG_1666.JPG

The V had a super charged corvette engine, so this is basically a squinchy V. Lol

ETA: found a better picture of it
IMG_1331.JPG

My hubby is so jelly right now.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby is so jelly right now.

Out of the two cars-- the V or the vette, I really enjoyed the V and would love to have another one. But, the vette is cool too-- just haven't had the conditions to drive it and get to know it.

I do love the yellow calipers on the vette..

I think all men are jelly lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results