shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about your luxury car!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of selling my luxury car. It used to meet my needs, but I think They have changed? lol. I'm debating if I want another luxury call. Please share your experience with me if you own one!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a luxury car?...:read:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a luxury car?...:read:
Good question. Either way I don't think a Honda Accord qualifies. :razz: But I'm curious as to what makes people want to buy luxury cars. Not judging at all. Just curious.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. Either way I don't think a Honda Accord qualifies. :razz: But I'm curious as to what makes people want to buy luxury cars. Not judging at all. Just curious.
My previous luxury cars were preowned. Each had less than 6000 miles and were priced comparatively to mid range new suv's. I've had 2 benz ml350's and both were good suv's with lots of bells and whistles. So I felt like I was getting a great deal on a luxury car. That's the only reason that I opted for luxury cars in the past. I haven't found a great deal on one lately, so I'm wondering if I'm done with them or if I should just keep looking.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering about what specific qualities do people notice and are willing to pay extra for in a luxury car. I am not very conscious about details and qualities about luxury cars that may not be present in non-luxury cars so I'm hoping luxury car connoisseurs can enlighten me. :)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you get a Mercedes SLS or a GTR then I will forcibly make you my new best friend :lol:

When I think luxury I usually think of something big with a bit of grunt as well. Something like a Bentley or even an M series BMW

Q

Queenie60

I drive a 2017 MBZ E300 sedan. It's very luxurious and has many features. Best car I've ever owned. Self parks, has many collision alert and safety features that I like. Satellite radio, wireless internet and many features that I don't know how to use at this point. I'm enjoying my luxury car. Hope this helps.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My luxury car is a 2015 Prius C, bought second hand for $10k. It's so luxurious because it lets me not spend a lot on gas as well as affords me NO car note.

I spend my $$ on jewels instead :) and everyone IRL thinks they're fake cus of how cheap my apartment and car is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a 2017 MBZ E300 sedan. It's very luxurious and has many features. Best car I've ever owned. Self parks, has many collision alert and safety features that I like. Satellite radio, wireless internet and many features that I don't know how to use at this point. I'm enjoying my luxury car. Hope this helps.
Congrats, White privilege!...:silenced::lol:. Will you take me for a spin?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T
My luxury car is a 2015 Prius C, bought second hand for $10k. It's so luxurious because it lets me not spend a lot on gas as well as affords me NO car note.

I spend my $$ on jewels instead :) and everyone IRL thinks they're fake cus of how cheap my apartment and car is.
This is me, too! I drive a very small, cheap Honda Jazz. My dad used to say all you need is '4 wheels and an engine' :D

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I almost think it depends on the driver and what they expect in a car. DH drives a Mercedes GLK (not their higher end but still very nice) and I drive a Beetle. They actually have comparable safety features and technology. I prefer the interface on my Beetle to the Mercedes actually, less extra going on so you don't get confused or lost in a deeper menu while you're driving!

However DH has some performance requirements in a car. He wants it to be responsive. The acceleration, handling, and braking in the Mercedes is superior to my car, heck it's even better than my Dad's fancy Jeep that was almost the same price. Also the Mercedes just feels more solid than your regular car. There is no noise other than radio and engine while you are driving. DH can't stand my Beetle because the garage door opener isn't integrated and it rattles whenever you go over a bump. There are odd noises every once and a while.

If you're super picky like he is then the luxury car might be worth it. For the rest of us I think standard cars are coming with a lot of features these days.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a really interesting thread for me.

I've never owned a luxury car, but have always liked them, so on an emotional level, I don't need to be sold on why a luxury versus a regular car as far as looks and details like the materials they use for the interior, etc. (although many cars who list their interior as leather are often leatherette). I think the interior is where you can most see the quality differences between a regular car versus a luxury car.

But from a logical standpoint, I don't think things like features and reliability are necessarily more or better in a luxury car versus a regular car. It depends on the model, trim, etc. And in some of the luxury cars you have to pay a pretty premium to get some of those features. And heck, hasn't it ever happened to you that you're on the road and become mesmerized by what you "think" is a BMW or some other luxury car only to then realize it's a Hyundai or some other brand that copied the exterior of it. Branding. (and it works on me because I *do* like luxury cars.)

That's my perception anyway, after having done some research and test driving the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima SL, Mazda6, Audi A4, a few Lexus models, and a few Acura models. I took a look at the Infinity and the Cadillac but didn't test drive them.

I think in general, if you can afford a luxury car, they are totally worth it just on that emotional level alone, if you find one whose looks you love (for me.)

But features and reliability - and even how you're treated at the dealership - I don't think differ much. I think many of the luxury brands "sell" you (ETA or many of us can be tempted to "buy" into) on the white glove service experience once you come into their "family" but once you buy, you're a customer like any other and sometimes you will get rude or bad service. I think that's with any brand you buy - whether it's luxury like Mercedes or BMW or average like Nissan or Hyundai. (although I do also realize perhaps some brands are better known for great service, and perhaps you do get some extras at a luxury dealership - like a loaner car - that you may not get at an "average" dealership.)

LLJSMOM, how do you like your Honda Accord? Is it a 2017? (if you don't mind my asking)

Anybody drive a 2017 Audi A4?

Nala preowned sounds like the smarter way to get into a luxury car. But it does take more work and time than just getting it brand new. Do you go to the dealerships and look in person or do you just search their inventory online? Let me know if you have any tips. :)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008 we go to the auto show every year because I really like pretty cars! I test drove the 2017 A4 and it was nice, but the base package wasn't so much nicer than my VW to justify the price for me (almost double!).

If you like the look and finish of a luxury car, but not the price tag, you can find some really cool special editions of middle range brands without spending a fortune. I found my current car at the 2016 Toronto auto show and I love it to death. It's a special edition Beetle where the interior is a combination of leather, chrome, and denim. The top is also indigo blue. Love love love it and it was much cheaper than the highline.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl I agree with you completely on the A4 - if you judge it objectively, I think this is the conclusion you will draw most of the time. But they are just so pretty. I think most of the time what I'm coming to realize is that the best value is also usually in the mid-range trim. Not the basic, not the top - but the middle one.

Never considered going to a car show to possibly find a car. Heck, I'm surprised DH and I don't go to car shows at all, actually, given that we both really like nice cars. Well, maybe you've given us a new activity chemgirl! :)

Your car sounds so unique - or are there a lot of those types in Canada. I don't think I've seen a Beetle here in the US for a while. BTW I laughed out loud when I read that your DH hates your car because it rattles sometimes and makes noise. LOL.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to add, that even "performance" depends on the brand and trim. I was not impressed with the peppiness of more than 1 of the luxury cars that I drove. To get responsiveness I'd have to put it in the Sport mode and even then, in some brands/trims the car still felt sluggish to me (when thinking about its price tag.) The more I have to pay for a car the more demanding I feel. So I can deal with some things in something that's 20 or 25 or even 30K - but once you start getting above that for me it needs to stand out.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2007 Toyota Highlander is paid in full for the past three years. That's my luxury car since I don't have to pay for it anymore :lol:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a 2009 Lexus RX350...I bought it used...can't afford a new one...but dang I am a little bit in love with it...when the times come to get another vehicle I would definitely get another Lexus, so many convenience are on this compared to my old SUV...it was 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited....I do have 2 things I don't like about my Lexus one is the stereo....my Jeep stereo was much better and I dislike my memory seats..you have to get in the truck and then hit the memory seat button and then it adjusts, I find that annoying...my Jeep it was all tied to the key fob, once you unlocked the door with the the fob my seats started adjusting.....

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008: my denim Beetle is still really rare here. You do see the odd Beetle on the road though. In general I think you see more German and Japanese cars here.

I find the trim packages affect performance more for some brands than others. With Mercedes a 350 or 250 Diesel will give you plenty of responsiveness. Going to the 500 level is fun, but not really necessary. Comparing our base level 250 Diesel with a base level Audi Q5 and is eye opening. The audi dealer made a big deal about the Q5 being a higher level vehicle and we would notice a big difference...we noticed a difference, but it solidified that our current SUV is awesome.

I find with audi you really have to upgrade to get to get the driving experience you would expect.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008: my denim Beetle is still really rare here. You do see the odd Beetle on the road though. In general I think you see more German and Japanese cars here.

I find the trim packages affect performance more for some brands than others. With Mercedes a 350 or 250 Diesel will give you plenty of responsiveness. Going to the 500 level is fun, but not really necessary. Comparing our base level 250 Diesel with a base level Audi Q5 and is eye opening. The audi dealer made a big deal about the Q5 being a higher level vehicle and we would notice a big difference...we noticed a difference, but it solidified that our current SUV is awesome.

I find with audi you really have to upgrade to get to get the driving experience you would expect.

I'd love to see a picture of it it sounds so cute. Have you found it to be a reliable car.

I agree about the trim packages, again, from what I've seen, but my experience with luxury cars is limited, only very recent, and based on just a few test drives. I did thorough test drives, but still, it could never replace actual ownership experience.

How do you like the Diesel? We've never owned a Diesel, but I know they're supposed to be much better on gas. Are Diesels also more common where you are.

Interesting what you say about the Audi brand. I forget right now if with the A4 the engine size/HP changes with the trims - I think the only difference with the Sport trim was a lower suspension (which DH says can affect the feel of the drive a little bit) and some cosmetic details - I think even the safety features remain the same (except like one thing, I can't remember right now). The Prestige package comes with all technology and more safety features but it's super expensive, and some of the technology is subscription-based which I wouldn't want to do. I wouldn't want the extra expense of that on top of the monthly payment. I also realize the A4 is their "lower level" car and so some things that apply to the A4 may not apply to the higher end Audis.

(BTW - do you/your DH find that comparing trim options is super confusing? ETA not just with Audi but in general. It's so hard to find accurate detailed side by side of what one trim includes versus the next. And we've found salesmen to be less informed than us many times.)

(Nala, I hope this doesn't feel like a threadjack and is adding to what you were looking to get from the thread. If not let us know!)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I think "luxury" cars - I think performance, comfort, features and out of my budget...or at least without foregoing my other spending habits :lol: As far as safety/convenience features, it seems to me that what one finds in luxury brands often become standard in other cares tomorrow so unless you turn your cars over every few years (which I don't), your car will be behind before its paid off.

I am not a luxury car owner so probably shouldn't be posting on this. But to me, it's a matter of priorities as to whether it's worth it - admittedly, IF I had the disposable income and spent a lot of time in the car, I would go for it. I have friends who get a new luxury car every few years (they lease) and I never hesitate to let them drive :)

I hate to drive and I remember buying a Volvo 850 in the 90's. Not exactly a luxury car but enough of a step up from the Honda/Toyota/Subarus I'd previously owned that suddenly I actually loved driving it. My husband joked that he didn't factor all the additional miles I would put on it into the cost. I drove that car until it reached a point where it needed an inexpensive part replaced and they were going to have to order it from Sweden. I still wish I didn't have to give it up.

Oddly enough, today I am driving anothrt Volvo - a C70 that I bought 5 years ago. I had a midlife crisis and wanted a convertible. I considered the luxury brands but I wanted a "practical convertible". I sacrificed performance the of the luxury brands for a convertible that is a hardtop, has good backseat legroom and a good size trunk. They don't make them anymore and despite offers to buy it and not having many of the feature's today's cars have, I wouldn't give it up.

At one time I always felt buying used meant the risk of buying someone's problems but as someone else mentioned above, I am now a big fan of buying cars that are a year old with low mileage - warranties are transferable and you don't suffer the "drive it off the lot" depreciation. But ymmv in terms of price/availability depending on the demand for the car.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 4.41.51 PM.png I love it. Quiet ride, lots of safety features, good juice under the hood, thoughtful interior design. It's so quiet that I sometimes forget to turn it off when I park and can't figure out why it's yelling at me when I get out and try to lock the doors :D

Q

Queenie60

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 4.41.51 PM.png I love it. Quiet ride, lots of safety features, good juice under the hood, thoughtful interior design. It's so quiet that I sometimes forget to turn it off when I park and can't figure out why it's yelling at me when I get out and try to lock the doors :D
Love your car! I had considered this one but was tired of driving utility vehicles for so many years so I went with the sedan instead. Great car Matata!

Q

Queenie60

Congrats, White privilege!...:silenced::lol:. Will you take me for a spin?
Sure! I'll take you for a spin. And no, not white privilege, just self employed and hard working!!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a bmw 335xi and an acura RDX. If I were to go back in time, I would NOT buy the bmw.
Yes, its fast and fun, but I love my acura so much more. I can take it to the dealership for maintenance, we cant afford the BMW dealership. The acura dealership will give you a loaner car, the BMW dealership doesn't. The features are pretty much the same, but everything is cheaper on the acura lol. Idk. H likes to be able to say *cough*brag*cough* that he has a bmw, but I don't even care.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We have a bmw 335xi and an acura RDX. If I were to go back in time, I would NOT buy the bmw.
Yes, its fast and fun, but I love my acura so much more. I can take it to the dealership for maintenance, we cant afford the BMW dealership. The acura dealership will give you a loaner car, the BMW dealership doesn't. The features are pretty much the same, but everything is cheaper on the acura lol. Idk. H likes to be able to say *cough*brag*cough* that he has a bmw, but I don't even care.

Good to know!!! DH keeps on talking about switching my car for a BMW and giving me his Mercedes. No loaner car is a big deal. We don't get that with vw, but it is a huge plus with Mercedes. Have received fancy pants convertibles over the weekend a few times. So much fun to try other cars, plus it's a pita to be without.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, loaners are a big deal.
If you're leasing and the brand offers loaners, you're always covered and don't have to worry about how expensive maintenance is beyond warranty. Plus the high-end dealers have nicer service areas, and generally attempt to be more responsive than the Honda/Toyota dealers around here.
BMW offers two oil changes and you only need one a year- so on a 3 year lease you pay for one oil change- and that's it.
We have a BMW M4 and stupid little things have happened ( a scraping noise from the brake shield, now a warning light which is a hose on the intercooler)
After I brought it in once to have them fix it and they failed with the brake shield, they came to my place with a loaner, and picked up my car and fixed it this time.
Of course you pay for it, but if you go for the smaller BMW's, and don't go for the high end options, you can get one for not all that much more than a "normal" car.
I have a 230 as a loaner right now, and it rocks.
BTW- in this case, it turns out my car needs to stay at the dealership for two weeks waiting for part from Germany- and they didn't balk at letting us keep the loaner for the two weeks.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see a picture of it it sounds so cute. Have you found it to be a reliable car.

I agree about the trim packages, again, from what I've seen, but my experience with luxury cars is limited, only very recent, and based on just a few test drives. I did thorough test drives, but still, it could never replace actual ownership experience.

How do you like the Diesel? We've never owned a Diesel, but I know they're supposed to be much better on gas. Are Diesels also more common where you are.

Interesting what you say about the Audi brand. I forget right now if with the A4 the engine size/HP changes with the trims - I think the only difference with the Sport trim was a lower suspension (which DH says can affect the feel of the drive a little bit) and some cosmetic details - I think even the safety features remain the same (except like one thing, I can't remember right now). The Prestige package comes with all technology and more safety features but it's super expensive, and some of the technology is subscription-based which I wouldn't want to do. I wouldn't want the extra expense of that on top of the monthly payment. I also realize the A4 is their "lower level" car and so some things that apply to the A4 may not apply to the higher end Audis.

(BTW - do you/your DH find that comparing trim options is super confusing? ETA not just with Audi but in general. It's so hard to find accurate detailed side by side of what one trim includes versus the next. And we've found salesmen to be less informed than us many times.)

(Nala, I hope this doesn't feel like a threadjack and is adding to what you were looking to get from the thread. If not let us know!)

I don't think I have any pictures without the license plate, but it's this one http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...introduces-beetle-convertible-denim-gallery#7

I'm not entirely sure about the engine levels for Audi. I just found that their base models didn't perform as well as base level Mercedes. That was a let down because the dealer made such a big deal about it being a step up.

We really like the diesel. We get amazing mileage, well over 1000 km on one tank. It does require more maintenance though because it has a urea tank in the trunk to meet emissions standards. Better than a cheat mechanism I suppose...

To be honest we have really stepped back from Audi so not entirely sure about their current offerings. We test drove, but we weren't serious. As far as trim packages go, we have started making a list of must haves and then seeing which packages we would need. Interesting because our glk would have been so much more expensive had we bought the 2016 rather than 2015. We wanted the blindspot sensors, sun roof, and satellite radio. These were all in one package in 2015, but separated on the 2016. It does get really confusing overall. That's the fun of the car show though, you can sit in different levels of car and see what each has to offer as far as interior design.

My bosses have had a string of high end cars and I find it really interesting to listen to their complaints. The Audi A7 had sportier suspension than my one boss was used to so he hated it and sold it asap. He said he could feel every imperfection in the road and he hated it. He also has a Porsche convertible and a tesla. He has no issues with the Porsche, but the tesla doesn't have hooks for dry cleaning, nor a map holder (where he keeps his gloves). Thought that was interesting. Other boss has always had BMW convertibles. Not sure the exact models, but over 100k. The last one was glitchy beyond all reason and it was in the shop more than he actually had it at home. At one point it needed new seats and seat belts because of some malfunction where the seat belts retracted all of a sudden when he was driving. He now drives a Mercedes E 550. Other boss has historically driven Mercedes CLS 550s before the Audi A7 and the tesla. I believe he switched because the A7 was a good deal slightly used and then the tesla saves on gas and is just cool from an environmental standpoint.

The work parking lot is fun.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In years past my husband and I have owned 2 beautiful Audi sports cars and a range of other lovely cars. Now we own a Hyundai and a Mazda. Somewhere in there we got old. :-/

Nowadays, our luxury is that our cars are never more than a couple of years old, and we change them up often. My grasp of car mechanics is that, if you turn the key and the car doesn't run perfectly, you call a mechanic. So < 3 years is as old as I ever want a car to be. Car not starting somewhere late at night = Mrs B's idea of a living nightmare, and roadside assistance, in my opinion, is a SWAT team dropped in by helicopter.

With our current iteration of cars, we got the Hyundai because almost all it does is go to the train station every day, then sit there till my husband drives it home. The Mazda is a top of the line CX5, and we use it primarily to transport our (large) dogs. So we wanted something comfy but not too precious that we could afford to knock around a little.

Even so, we decided we downgraded a tad too far with the Hyundai, so when its time is up in October next year, we're looking at replacing it with an Infinti, a Lexus, the new Alfa Quadrifoglio or (my husband's pick) a Tesla. Don't know which one yet, but we've narrowed it down to those 4 with the Infiniti and the Tesla (the 2 cheapest of the 4) probably being the front runners. We don't really want to go back to spending a lot of money on cars; we just don't get enough out of it. We want reliable, comfortable, attractive - probably in that order.

The Mazda stays, tho. I love that car. It's my favorite color blue and it has beige leather interior, comfy seats and a navigation system that confuses the heck out of me - so it's gotta be good, right? :D When its time to replace it, we'll get another one.

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a 540 beemer many years ago. I was against buying but DH started making decent money and wanted a "nicer" car. Car was pure luxury inside and drove smooth as buttah with 8 cylinder engine. Right after its 5 year warranty ended, it started having issues to the tune of $2-4K in repairs each year. We use cars for at least 10 years so once it hit that mark, we bought a Toyota Highlander. If we ever get another high end car, it would be on a 3 year lease.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had quite a few luxury cars the past 20 years. Never had a problem with Lexus or Infinity. The whole door panel fell off a Mercedes as I was getting in the car. The car was only three years old. The dealer handled all the costs but seriously the whole door panel fell off.

Repair costs are so much higher on a luxury car. The last time I wanted a new car I told my husband I was going to look at the Kia Optima. I liked the car but ended up with another luxury car.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results