shape
carat
color
clarity

Teach me about my stone's aset?

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

I already own (and love, love, love) this stone, but I was hoping to learn a little more about its light performance from the aset. I cropped the logo out of the image, but I'm sure you can tell that it is a GOG AVC. I've noticed that a lot of the newer AVCs have asets with a lot more saturated red and was wondering whether the blue/green in my aset indicated diminished light performance in those areas?

FYI: This inquiry is purely for curiosity's sake. I am quite happy with my little fireball, but always like to learn more about it.

aset.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your diamond. It's a beautiful tribute to an older cutting style, done at a high level of quality.

Re: Your question - I don't see reduction in potential brightness/red (light returned from 45-75°) as much as I see an orderly increase in contrast/blue (obstructed areas from 75-90°) at the compass points. Nothing wrong with that; in fact those areas contribute to your overall perception of brightness, and to the on-off "snap" you see during scintillation.

If those areas were blue-white or transparent it could indicate leakage under those compass points. But the even, deep-blue color - especially with this backlit/white background - shows that they will return light properly when unobstructed. In real-life terms that means when the diamond goes in-motion those areas will "snap" on and off as the diamond is tilted; going from obstructed to bright to obstructed to bright. The areas that you currently see as red in this photo will do the same thing. This is why an abundance of red broken by orderly blue is desirable in brilliant and mixed cuts.

Of course the actual obstruction-vs-brightness ratio and how it translates in performance will depend on the lighting and light-source-location(s), what you're wearing, how distant you hold the diamond and even the size of your head and hair. An ASET image only communicates brightness and contrast potential in a logical, standardized environment. While we can reach definite conclusions about light return levels and make reliable predictions (per the above) about optical qualities in different situations...the real test is how the diamond performs in-motion, in your favorite places and spaces, with you in the picture.

As an aside: Thank you to GOG for using backlighting in their ASET setup. In all shapes, but especially with fancy and proprietary cuts, a backlit setup really pulls-back-the-curtain and allows a more telling analysis.

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
John Pollard-- thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am able to interpret an aset on a very superficial level in terms of a "good" vs "bad" light performance, but I have never quite understood whether high red saturation is a mark of brilliance in all cuts or is more desirable in round brilliants. I think my stone is incredible and I definitely notice the on-off "snap" you mentioned, even if rather dim lighting.

Very cool to learn more about my specific stone. Thank you again!

FordFairlane

Rough_Rock
LittleSparkle said:
Hi All!

I already own (and love, love, love) this stone, but I was hoping to learn a little more about its light performance from the aset. I cropped the logo out of the image, but I'm sure you can tell that it is a GOG AVC. I've noticed that a lot of the newer AVCs have asets with a lot more saturated red and was wondering whether the blue/green in my aset indicated diminished light performance in those areas?

FYI: This inquiry is purely for curiosity's sake. I am quite happy with my little fireball, but always like to learn more about it.

Hi Little,

Your stone has a very nice ASET as do all AVCs.
I don't know anything about your diamond but I suspect from the yellow areas that it is lower color (KLMN ?)

The yellow and white areas and yellow/green areas at the corners of the table do show some leakage but its really very minor compared to the vast majority of cushion cuts.

Mix yellow with red you get less saturated red in ASET
Mix yellow with blue you get green/blue in ASET

This changes the hues of all the colors, also GOG enhances the colors in their system so this vibrant contrast is even more enhanced.
Don't worry about the hue of the red as long as its not pink it just changes with the photography parameters and is not a reflection of a different angular range or intensity.

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi FordFairlane,
You are correct! My stone is a K. I just quickly compared my aset to the aset of an H stone and see the difference in color. This is all so fascinating. Thank you for the response and the lesson!

madgenius

Rough_Rock
Thanks for those cogent analyses!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results