shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite virgin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Isabel,

Last weekend I ordered a tanzanite ring and pendant (set in white gold) from a UK online vendor.

The images looked fantastic, and the pieces were described as 'top quality' AA tanzanite.

However, when the package arrived last Friday, the tanzanite was pale and washed out! A very, very pale liliac color. So first thing Saturday morning I returned it for a full refund.

I have also looked in the top-end B&M jewellers (in the UK) and haven't found the quality I am looking for.

I am starting to think that good qualityTanzanite is like rocking horse manure!

Blod
8.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Oh Blod, I''m so sorry about your tanzanite purchase and so glad you used the return option.

I know that top quality tanzanite is getting harder to find and I wish I could give you some leads to sellers of fine quality, but I expect that''s not acceptable here on PS. Maybe PS admin. could advise me on that.

Please tell me what shape/size you are looking for for your necklace and perhaps I can point you in the right direction. By the way, if you want top quality, you should be looking at AAA stones; AA was probably an exaggerated description of the actual stones you received.

pascow

Rough_Rock
Is jewelery television a good source for tanzanite?
26.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I bought a 12.53ct cushion from them about 4 yrs ago and it is really nice. I just had it appraised not long ago.The appraiser couldn''t believe it. I have bought some already set in jewelry also.I have ordered smaller Tanzanite stones in the in the last year and sent them back. It was not the color I wanted or it was the CUT.The large stones might be ok.They have a good return policy.

Connie

pascow

Rough_Rock
if you dont mind me asking what was your purchase price vs. appraisal price? i just purchased a .75 for $279 which seems to have a nice color. im just confused on which color is more valuable its kinda hard to compare actual gemstones to pictures of gemstones. i know darker but how dark, should it have violet, blue, and red flashes, more blue than violet or more violet than blue.........i have been following tanzanite for three years now and finally made my first purchase..........also would buying and holding on to tanzanite be a good investment being that it is only mined in one place..............thank you for any responses

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2006 8:02:09 PM
Author: pascow
if you dont mind me asking what was your purchase price vs. appraisal price? i just purchased a .75 for $279 which seems to have a nice color. im just confused on which color is more valuable its kinda hard to compare actual gemstones to pictures of gemstones. i know darker but how dark, should it have violet, blue, and red flashes, more blue than violet or more violet than blue.........i have been following tanzanite for three years now and finally made my first purchase..........also would buying and holding on to tanzanite be a good investment being that it is only mined in one place..............thank you for any responses
I think that tanzanite should not be considered an investment. You buy it because you love the colours present in the stone. If you really like the .75c tanzanite for its colour, you got a good stone for $279.

As far as I''m concerned, the colour you like is a personal choice although the deep blue with purple overtones and red flashes seems to command the highest prices.
35.gif

pascow

Rough_Rock
thank you....the reason i say investment is from watching prices in 2004 to prices in 2006. had i purchased a few then i would have made a nice return. i can appreciate the colors of stones and would keep some for a personal collection, but if there was money to be made, why not...............i think it was your post which you said you got an offer you couldnt refuse on one of your gems................also, would tanzanite prices go up do to the fact the mines will be empty in 10 to15 yrs.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2006 10:49:19 PM
Author: pascow
thank you....the reason i say investment is from watching prices in 2004 to prices in 2006. had i purchased a few then i would have made a nice return. i can appreciate the colors of stones and would keep some for a personal collection, but if there was money to be made, why not...............i think it was your post which you said you got an offer you couldnt refuse on one of your gems................also, would tanzanite prices go up do to the fact the mines will be empty in 10 to15 yrs.
"They" keep telling us that since tanzanite is a one source gem that the supply will be depleted in 10 - 15 years. Who knows for sure?

I have been buying the stones I love for a few years now. If someone asks to buy a certain stone or ring and the price is right, I do sell; but I did not start to buy as an investment strategy.

I know for certain that there are collectors out there hoarding tanzanite who hope to make a fortune IF the price skyrockets as has been predicted for a few years.

As I recall the price for tanzanite in the 80''s was much higher than it is right now. I''m not sure why, but it could be that the supply/demand market was active.

Just as I would never advise someone to "invest" in diamonds, the same is true of tanzanite.

I''m no expert; this is just my opinion which is probably worth less than 2 cents.
9.gif

pascow

Rough_Rock
thanks again.........i guess no one knows for sure, but if they were depleted would this be the case.
21.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I do not see the larger stones in retail as I used to, nor do I see the quality on JTV. Buy Tanzanite because you love it and its beauty.When I bought my first piece of jewelery and showed them at the jewelry store here where I live...They said THAT IS TANZANITE! The Tananite they had was washed out and this was the blue.

It is a beautiful gem in any color or shade with lots of history.I have enjoyed following all the news about this gem and maybe someday I will have something to hand down to my grandchildren that is NO MORE.They will have something priceless in many ways.

I love getting my 12.53ct out and looking at it. It is so blue and it is like you just fall into it. I just love it and keep telling myself that I have enough...but can you have enough????

Connie

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
pascow...If that were the case, prices might soar as they have for alexandrite. Personally, I think tanz. is much more beautiful than alex anyway.

Connie...You are absolutely right about not seeing the quality in tanzanite that was available only a couple of years ago. Is it due to lack of quality stones or are people hoarding the "good stuff"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results