shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite virgin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

I wonder if you an help me out. First of all..I can't believe I have been registered on PS all this time and have never looked at the coloured forum
33.gif

My first love is diamonds...however, after recently seeing a Tanzanite ring (which blew me away) I am thinking of buying myself a Tanzanite pendant/necklace.

I have never bought gemstones before, so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, can you recommend any online vendors for Tanzanite?

Thank you so much....Blod
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not, but I just know a bit about them. they are soft, so pendants are good. also, I love when they are the deep color, like an amethyst and sapphire blended together. I think that is when they are the most valuable but I am not sure, however, I just prefer the color to be deeper rather than the pale purple tone.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
blodthecat, so the Tanzanite bug bit you.LOL! I love it and seems I can''t get enough of it!I have been collecting it for years now after seeing one at Bailey,Banks & Biddle.It was a huge chunk, blue with red flashes everywhere.My Avatar is my last Tanzie purchase..3.63ct. I also have a 12.53 cushion cut stone in the safe.

You want the darkest color you can get for the $$$$$. You would probably find more rings than pendents.

Good luck.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 10:18:16 AM
Author: diamondfan
I do not, but I just know a bit about them. they are soft, so pendants are good. also, I love when they are the deep color, like an amethyst and sapphire blended together. I think that is when they are the most valuable but I am not sure, however, I just prefer the color to be deeper rather than the pale purple tone.
Yes the deeper color is the most valuable and clean.The deeper color is harder to find in the smaller stones. It is a type 1 gemstone so it should be clean.

Gemmal

Rough_Rock
I also saw a tanzanite at Bailey Banks and Biddle too and yeah it was the deepest most beautiful blue with tons of red flashes. I wondered if that was a real tanzanite because no place else did I ever see one as deep blue with red flashes. Everyplace else seemed to have tanzanites that were somewhat watery or transparent compared to the ones at BB&B. Does anyone know why the BBB ones are so different. I even went to Tiffany''s to look at theirs and the ones there were more the the transparent watery ones. What do you guys think?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello BLODTHECAT:

Tanzanite is a beautiful gem. Prices have fluctuated in years and the supply/source of this rough is diminished which is placing a premium on this beautiful gem. I have seen stones that range $500 per carat retail up to $1000 per carat for the very finest stones. Recently really fine stones have been coming out of the ground in lesser quantities. This might prompt an increase in price in the future as supply has its affects on the demand of the market.

There are a couple issues which pertain to the price of tanzanite fluctuating...The price has risen from previous years but has stabilized somewhat. The real issue is the stone is rare, but the availability also has an impact on supply and demand and how the gem is mined.

There have been samples taken on sight reaching down to a few hundred meters in "C" block. With the current mining methods employed only about a 1/3 of this has been sourced. Using more advanced methods will drive up the price because of the cost of mining increases with the technology being used to mine deeper with more sophisticated methods. There has also been a restriction placed on the export of rough that has dramatically driven up the price of rough on site. I think tanzanite is in high demand and the restrictions set on rough and the current methods of mining has had an affect on the current market price per carat. When the rare gem is sourced out or the high price of continuing mining exceeds profitability is when a consumer will see the most dramatic affect of pricing on the retail market. Who knows when this will happen but comparatively price per carat of fine gem quality tanzanite has doubled from prices seen in the 90's.

Gemmal:When referring to the stone you saw having red flashes…Tanzanite is a Trichroic gem. Fancy terminology meaning it can exhibit one of 3 colors depending on how it is viewed. (1)Blue,(2) An Amethyst to Red (3) or Greenish yellow to Brown. Some rough stones exhibit a purple blue hue out of the ground but most all gem rough is heated after it comes out of the ground which removes the remnant brownish grey color to leave the pleasing violet or purple blue which you see in some of the most beautiful gems. Some of the finest Tanzanite looks like a high quality sapphire and the larger ones contain the beautiful rich depth in color. Premium stones will show a primary blue color with a secondary purple hue.

The color between the blue and purple is based on the ambient light in which it is being viewed. The depth of color has to do with the crystal formation of the stone and the required light to travel through the stone to produce those colors. For example small tanzanites will not produce the colors that a larger stone will give.

The secondary hue of the gem depends on the way the gem is oriented before cutting and dependent on the purity of the red tri-chroic hue. In any colored gem the saturation and intensity of the gems dominant hue is really crucial and in smaller stones under about 5 cts., this intensity or quality of color is harder to come by. Larger stones hold a more pronounced depth of color and cutting plays a big part in how this trichroic gem will face up.

As far as durability goes…Tanzanite is a softer gem and is well suited for pendants as described earlier. Smaller Tanzanite’s actually are more rare than the larger stones and carry a bigger premium. Some of the watery stones might not present the depth of color because they are smaller and depth in color is usually present in the bigger stones.

Palegems.com is a great place to source tanzanite. I have frequented many other vendors who carry tanzanite in stock, but Palagems has many stones. I would check out other vendors also which is listed under a thread containing a list of gemstone sites.
Let us know what your going to do blodthecat...
35.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 5:38:43 AM
Author: Gemmal
I also saw a tanzanite at Bailey Banks and Biddle too and yeah it was the deepest most beautiful blue with tons of red flashes. I wondered if that was a real tanzanite because no place else did I ever see one as deep blue with red flashes. Everyplace else seemed to have tanzanites that were somewhat watery or transparent compared to the ones at BB&B. Does anyone know why the BBB ones are so different. I even went to Tiffany''s to look at theirs and the ones there were more the the transparent watery ones. What do you guys think?
That is the way quality Tanzanite is supposed to look.That is the quality they is not being mined.It is hard to find and when you do it takes your breath away, at least mind.My avatar is Tanzanite and it is like that so is the 12.53 ct stone I have.It is beatuiful and most people do not realize what good quality Tanzanite looks like for they just see the lighter color out in retail.Gee what are they missing.I just love it and it has so much history.Here is one of the 2 rings I saw. This is the one I wanted because it is a round.

ZsdTBBB.jpg

conitta

Shiny_Rock

Colored Gemstone Nut...Well said. Also, the color gradeing system going into effect and the company,Tanzanite One, controlling Tanzanite will make a difference in the price.What will we see there? It is just a beautiful gem.I would take it over a Blue Sapphire any day, the sapphire does not have the red flashes & that is what got me that first time I saw Tanzanite at BB&B about 4 or 5 years ago.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
WOW...thanks for that guys!

Josh...thank you so much. You really know you stuff! I''m going to take a look at the site you recommended.

Blod
35.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
when i see tanz. in stores they typically are the same cut. is is for a reason? do tanz. preform best when cut in certain shapes? does it not look it''s best when step-cut?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
are heat-treated tanzanites a bad thing? or are most of them treated?

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Tanzanite is heat treated for the color. It is origanlly brownish.I have seen it in all shapes, but they say trillion is the Tanzanite cut.I have ovals and cushion cuts.
30.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 10:57:24 AM
Author: jcrow
when i see tanz. in stores they typically are the same cut. is is for a reason? do tanz. preform best when cut in certain shapes? does it not look it''s best when step-cut?
Hi jcrow....As a confirmed tanzanite lover ( addict?), I have several rings and stones of different shapes and sizes. As you''ve noticed, there aren''t many step- cut tanzanites out there. I''m not sure why. I have an emerald cut ring of about 7c and it is lovely; the play of the trichroism is seen best in this cut if it''s well done.

I''m currently wearing an 8c square cushion tanzanite as a rhr on a daily basis. I have been very lucky with my tanzie rings - no problems with chipping, cracking, etc.
35.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
isaku5
Have you had any of them sized? I have several that needs to be sized and I am scared to have it done...

Connie

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 12:34:15 PM
Author: conitta
Tanzanite is heat treated for the color. It is origanlly brownish.I have seen it in all shapes, but they say trillion is the Tanzanite cut.I have ovals and cushion cuts.
30.gif

so heat treated isn''t a bad thing?
yeh, trillion is one of my least favorite cuts. i rarely ever seen a round tanz. and i don''t think i''ve ever seen an emerald... or asscher!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 9:00:00 PM

30.gif

yeh, trillion is one of my least favorite cuts. i rarely ever seen a round tanz. and i don''t think i''ve ever seen an emerald... or asscher!
There are rounds and I want one,LOL!There are emerald cuts,princess,oval and cushion.
30.gif
I like the cushion.Heat treatment is not bad...no.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:50:37 PM
isaku5
Have you had any of them sized? I have several that needs to be sized and I am scared to have it done...

Connie
I have had a couple sized, but the tanzanite has to be taken out of the ring to do so; otherwise, it could be severely damaged by the heat generated by the sizing.

Ironic in a way, heat gives tanzanite its glorious colour, but also can really damage it.
Tanzanite does not like changes in temp. at all. No hot water, then cold water rinses and ultasonic cleaners are a definite no no.
38.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Isabel!

Have you any pictures you can share?
31.gif

Blod

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sure, Blod....I don''t know how to do more than one at a time, but I''ll show you 3 of my favourites.

The first is the emerald cut I mentioned - 5.88c tanz + ? diamonds.
36.gif

5.88c. geo.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
The square cushion...

8.33 tanz & dia.JPG

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sorry...Having trouble re-sizing the third pic. Will try again later.
33.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
holy crap! that emerald is amazing
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
. LOVE it!!
cushion not so bad either! wow, great collection!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 9:03:56 PM

Date: 7/9/2006 9:00:00 PM

30.gif

There are rounds and I want one,LOL!There are emerald cuts,princess,oval and cushion.
30.gif
I like the cushion.Heat treatment is not bad...no.
i actually found a couple of rounds. they were about 3 carats each and unmounted. color looked nice and deep. but, i was so scared and unkowing i didn''t buy one. i hated to buy it and it turn out to be not worth it or fake or something.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Finally!!!! I hope this works. This is my "special occasion tanz and diamond ring"--a rectangular cushion.
36.gif

Sorry, I don''t have any rounds in my collection.

11.51 tanz&4.66 dia_edited.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Isabel, Your Tanzanite rings are to die for. They are BEAUTIFUL.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isabel, I agree! HOW STUNNING! Gorgeous colors and shapes. I have a cushion tanz and I love that shape too! WOWOWOWOW is all I can say!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda and diamondfan.
35.gif

The colour(s) of tanzanite won me over a few years ago; I just love the deep blue/purple with red flashes!!

Tanzanite addict??? Yep.

It is becoming more and more difficult to find great quality stones. The vast majority now seem to be the washed out violet colour.

I actually owned a 15c perfect heart shaped stone, but I got an offer I couldn''t refuse and sold it.
11.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Isabel, Your collection is to die for. I am a Tanzanite addict also. Just seems you can never get enough.I bet the Heart was beautiful.I have a 12.53 cushion and will probably never have it mounted in anything.I''ll have to see about getting some pictures but I really do not have much luck in getting a decent ones.

As for the sizing...my jeweler has some kind of cream she puts over the stones that are heat sensitive while sizing so you do not have to remove the stone. She sized my emerald ring with no problem. If the stones are removed I would be affraid of scratching.Guess I will have to bite the dust one day and size them.

Connie

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
OMG....the 5.88c emerald!

There is only one thing that could make that ring look better...yeah...putting it on my finger! LOL

Isabell...that emerald cut is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Blod

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Blod. It was the only emerald cut tanzanite I had ever seen that had the colour I liked. Unfotunately, I don''t wear it very often as I like the finger coverage of 8c cushion..bad, bad, bad.

I don''t know of any PS vendors, but bought all my tanzanites on line with a return policy. I don''t think I''m allowed to provide the name of two very reputable eBay vendors, but if I find out that I can, I will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results