clarity

Taking ‘wonky’ to new levels ...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is modern, the cutter was either drunk, or the rough was not optimal with its inclusion placement :lol:

That was my first thought as well ... but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it could be a VERY early attempt at an asscher cut.

@chanieish I wonder how a diamond with its pavilion cut like that would look. :think:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just FYI/FTR, I am not considering this diamond for a purchase. Rather, it just genuinely intrigued me sheerly out of curiousity ... once my eyes straightened back out. :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I legit think this may be an early (old cut) asscher attempt ... I just can’t believe someone cut that with a straight face otherwise. :eek2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
just a badly cut step cut.
Spin the diamond and look at the pavilion and you will see why,
Super long steep p1-2 with little difference in angle p1-3 and then a shallow p4 with angle variations n/s vs e/w relative to how its photographed.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its nuts I had to look 3 times just to make out it had a 4 step pavilion the first 3 are so close to each other in angle.
Why bother with 4 if your going to cut them that close to one another?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
But hey, it’s got a GIA report. o_O

Is this possibly a legit ‘old cut’? I think I see a tiny culet. It just looks too crooked & wonky to be a modern attempt at an emerald or asscher cut, to me.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.59-ct-J-VS1-Fair-Cut-Asscher-Diamond/D42001702
424C39A9-E651-400C-8DB5-419907809111.jpeg
It looks like The Hall of Mirrors at the Fun House! You young ones probably don’t even know what I’m talking about. They would have them at carnivals. They would make me so sick! :sick:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I remember those and they would do the same to me. :sick:

@Karl_K do you think it was intentionally cut that way, or perhaps a ‘learner stone’?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
The GIA report says it's an EC, is it even the same stone?? The diagram on the GIA doesn't look like it...

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But hey, it’s got a GIA report. o_O

Is this possibly a legit ‘old cut’? I think I see a tiny culet. It just looks too crooked & wonky to be a modern attempt at an emerald or asscher cut, to me.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.59-ct-J-VS1-Fair-Cut-Asscher-Diamond/D42001702
424C39A9-E651-400C-8DB5-419907809111.jpeg [

Oh my that is wonky! I’m suspicious of the claim that it is old but agree with you that it could not be a modern stone. Perhaps someone tried a recut on an old stone? Could you perhaps purchase and then have it examined by an appraiser to get their opinion. Also would you recut it?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@caf The seller didn’t represent it as an old cut; rather, that was my thought/suspicion. It’s not a stone I am actually interested in buying; I came across it browsing and thought it was rather ... interesting.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What stinks is it has a kicken crown, if it had a matching pavilion and weighed around 2.15ct..........

Could this diamond have it’s pavilion recut while leaving the crown intact or would it have to be a full ‘top to bottom’ recut?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results