shape
carat
color
clarity

synthetic alexandrite - Need help finding them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
Well basically I''ve decided I want to get my girlfriend a synthetic alexandrite engagement ring. Trouble is that I have very little knowledge when it comes to gemstones and even less when it comes to man made stones. I don''t know whats fair market price or even which stones are good. When it comes to synthetic stones its very much like some sort of black art where each seller shrouds their product in mystery giving you very little information (I''m referring to end jewelers who sell the final products)

So far after extensive research I''ve come to understand that what I''m looking for is a synthetic (not stimulant or imitation) alexandrite and I''ve come across several sites that sell synthetic alexandrite.

I think these sites sell loose stone and seem legit

http://www.morioncompany.com/PulledMinerals.htm
http://www.geolite.com/alexan.htm
http://www.atggems.com/Alexandrite.htm

But then when I go to I check out sites that sell alexandrite rings many of them quote lower prices then the stones from the above sites while they claim to be lab made.

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,synthetic-alexandrite-ring,1274829.html - 5ct $165
http://www.jewelsforme.com/item-main.asp?ItemNumber=2014R-14&Gemtype=CA&Metal=W&ItemMonth=&Ad=&CU= 1.1ct @ 395

I need some guidance. What the avg. going rate for man made alexandrite per ct? A ball park figure I can compare against. Also maybe someone has purchased synthetic stones before and can share their experience. Also would it be a good idea for me to go to a regular jeweler and ask them about synthetic alexandrite or is that something professional jewelers don''t deal with?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never bought a synthetic Alexandrite (knowingly) but unfortunately bought some "natural" recently that turned out to be so. They were very very good synthetics but the colour change and lack of inclusions made me suspicious. I had to get them lab tested to be sure! They were sold as "natural earth mined" and "cut from rough" but as I didn't pay much, it didn't worry me too much as I've given them as presents because they're still incredibly pretty! I paid just under $200 per carat.

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
Can you source where you got the stones from or just give a recommendation of whose a reputable seller?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry dopyoman, but the forum rules state that we do not talk about synthetic diamonds or gemstones. Here is the particular rule:

This is a diamond education site and we want to keep the focus as such.
Discussions related to any diamond simulants, Cubic Zirconia (CZ), Moissanite, or anyother man-made gemstones are not allowed on this board.
Posts related to pearls are only to be discussed in designated sections on the forum.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
To solve my quest for alexandrite without the extreme cost I bought a doublet.
I got the gorgeous colour change purple to green with incredible sparkle.
Doublet is a natural top stone slice with lab alexandrite underneath. Only under magnification can you see that they are 2 pieces and not one.
This is a good way to get a gorgeous good size alex without spending thousands.
We aren''t supposed to talk about synthetic here and I apologize but i feel due to the extreme high cost of alexandrite I wanted to try to help the user out.

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
I read the rule but not to start an argument it seems pretty contradictory when there is a whole sub-section of the forum dedicated to man-made diamonds. That being said after researching alexandrite it seems to me that a fair portion of the market is dominated by synthetic stone with the general explanation being people unwittingly buy what they think is a real alexandrite in Egypt or Mexico and sell it later as the real thing. Then there are the stones that come from Russia and are sold as "natural Russian alexandrite" but are in fact man made. So I''ve come to the concussion that in my budget rage a large portion of the stones that are sold as the real thing are in fact fake. Instead of taking the risk of buying a stone and not knowing its fake I should just buy a good synthetic with full knowledge that it''s a fake. This way I don''t have to worry about getting a surprise. Finally if you are a mod. of the forum before you lock down this thread maybe you could point me in the direction of a forum that does discuss this topic. I''m in desperate need of some quality information.

Thanks for the suggestion of doublets. I did a quick search on good for doublet alexandrite and what i got was, "A doublet Alexandrite is not a solid Alexandrite." I''m very interested in these so what are they called then since I am assuming that all stones that have 2 stones glued together are called doublets.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
at the risk of breaking the rules, i have to say i do have russian lab alex, it is in my avatar, i got mine from a maul store, it is around 2 cts and i paid about $300, it does have a good color change, with that being said, i have had the ring for about 4 years and i do not wear it every day, i only wear it once in awhile and i have already scratched the gridle, so i am not sure how well that it would hold up as a ering. good luck in your quest.

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I was worried about going to a jeweler and specifically requesting a synthetic alexandrite and sounding like a fool or offensive (i don't know how the jewelry world works). I'm going tomorrow to see what a jeweler says about this topic.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
doublets that I know came from ebay
ebay seller gemandgem, gemspresent nanagemstone....all stores owned by gemandgem and they are very reliable.

or just do a search in loose gemstones section of jewelry and watches.........search doublet but you will get a lot of opal and star sapphires...

personally I own both synthetic and doublet and I prefer the doublet because it really captures the colour change.my synthetic pretty well is purple most of the time and doesn''t change unless you go out in the sun or put it under a light.

money wise I would just buy an ebay synthetic stone of your choice, they are all the same as those websites you listed and much much cheaper in ebay.just buy from a veteran seller
I agree it is contradictory about the man made diamonds section, maybe they could put a
space for coloured stones in there too...

goodluck with the engagement ring...

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
Legg''s, thank you. All though literally a few hours before I read you post, unable to find a reliable source for doublets I purchased a stone from gemlite. I looked at ebay and feel like i may have made a mistake since the stones looke equally good there. I''ll wait though see what gemlite produces. When i get it and then decide if im happy with it. I''ll post some pictures once i get it. It seem like people like seeing pictures of gems stones here and alexandrite is especially popular.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add that a lot of what''s called alexandrite (or synthetic alexandrite) is actually synthetic color-change sapphire (corundum). That stuff goes from reddish purple to teal and can be very cheap. But it''s not alexandrite at all, even though people call it that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2008 2:26:06 PM
Author: glitterata
I wanted to add that a lot of what''s called alexandrite (or synthetic alexandrite) is actually synthetic color-change sapphire (corundum). That stuff goes from reddish purple to teal and can be very cheap. But it''s not alexandrite at all, even though people call it that.
Just building on your comments, most estate jewellery with Alexandrite actually contains colour change sapphire or a synthetic spinel that does the same thing!

This "duping" if you want to call it that actually started as early as 1909!!!

dopyoman

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:03:26 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 7/28/2008 2:26:06 PM

Author: glitterata

Just building on your comments, most estate jewellery with Alexandrite actually contains colour change sapphire or a synthetic spinel that does the same thing!

This ''duping'' if you want to call it that actually started as early as 1909!!!

Right, that basically what i uncovered during my search of alexandrite and why I''m interested in where i could find reputable sellers of synthetic alexandrite and not "mislabeled" alexandrite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results