shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise proposal on VDay. Budget $20k. Help me do it right!

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock
Been saving up for years to buy an engagement ring (and get married, etc.). Finally ready. After years of living cheap, my bank account is healthy enough to do this all without making me want to flee the country to evade creditors.

So, about her. My girlfriend is the kind that only wants the "very best." She's normally very frugal but when it comes to important purchases, she doesn't like to pinch pennies. She's the type to buy $300 shoes and then come home to eat 3-day-old leftovers. I know she would say yes to even a $5k ring, but I can see the disappointment already. $10k would be okay.... but I want to sweep her off her feet. She has skinny fingers, probably a size 4 or smaller... so going lower in carats and higher in quality is an easier decision to make.

My budget is a bit flexible if I find a great deal. Looking for a RB in F color, Ideal cut, VS2, and at least 1.5 carats.

So, here are the two top candidates:

Candidate 1:
$18.9k
GIA Cert, 1.52 Carat, F, VS2, Ex/ex/ex cut, no flour.
Cert comments:
Additional clouds are not shown. (???? Is this a problem at VS2 level?)
Additional Inscription: H&A (It looked like an H&A under the scope)
Table: 57%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown Angle: 35.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick
HCA Score: 2.3
Measurements: 7.35-7.39 x 4.55 mm

Candidate 2
So, this one is NOT an F. But it's 3.2 effing carats. So... rules are meant to be broken. :naughty:
Link to GIA cert - http://i.imgur.com/tbv64.jpg
HCA Score: 2.3
$28.0k
I am worried about this one because the clouds are the reason it's SI-1... maybe they really hurt the brilliance? But still, an SI-1 Ideal cut stone, how bad could they be? Could an SI1 clousd really mess up a diamond that much? I almost feel like ordering this and judging for myself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Surprise proposal on VDay. Budget $20k. Help me do it ri

I looked at pricing on your stone #1, and the price is not bad, especially for a brick and mortar store. I don't think you need to worry about the clouds in a VS2. I think if you saw the stone and liked it, it is a good candidate. There are plenty of virtual stones near that price and a little less, but really, if you have seen a GIA XXX that you like, I think that is a good option!

Definitely skip #2. It doesn't fit what you told us about her! Do you know what kind of setting she likes?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would check out this 2.14 ideal cut RB for sale in a beautiful Leon mege setting that a PSer is selling to fund a sapphire purchase

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/selling-my-2-14-ct-rb-diamond-in-leon-mege-platinum-pave-t171265.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/selling-my-2-14-ct-rb-diamond-in-leon-mege-platinum-pave-t171265.html[/URL]

Her eBay listing

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=350528748671

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1328156731|3117019 said:
I looked at pricing on your stone #1, and the price is not bad, especially for a brick and mortar store. I don't think you need to worry about the clouds in a VS2. I think if you saw the stone and liked it, it is a good candidate. There are plenty of virtual stones near that price and a little less, but really, if you have seen a GIA XXX that you like, I think that is a good option!

Definitely skip #2. It doesn't fit what you told us about her! Do you know what kind of setting she likes?

I think she wants a solitaire, but I don't know how set she is on that. I think it's more important to her that the ring is classy (a loaded term, I know). She wants a white gold or platinum setting. Since I don't even know her size, I want to keep the setting simple and let her choose something she likes after the proposal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I think the classic Tiffany setting is pretty classy, and I just got mine today if you'd like to see it! I just thought of it because of your mentioning that she likes "the best" and the real Tiffany style ring might be something she'd like. Then later you can take her to Tiffany's to choose a wedding band! She would probably love that! You need to find out her ring size, though!

Those WF stones are up there with "the best". And WF sells Vatche rings, too. They don't have mine on the site, but they will order it because they sell Vatche. It is the U-113.

My pictures:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-1-58-g-vs1-from-gog-in-vatche-u-113-tiffany-repro.171351/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-1-58-g-vs1-from-gog-in-vatche-u-113-tiffany-repro.171351/[/URL]

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1328159192|3117047 said:
Well, I think the classic Tiffany setting is pretty classy, and I just got mine today if you'd like to see it! I just thought of it because of your mentioning that she likes "the best" and the real Tiffany style ring might be something she'd like. Then later you can take her to Tiffany's to choose a wedding band! She would probably love that! You need to find out her ring size, though!

Those WF stones are up there with "the best". And WF sells Vatche rings, too. They don't have mine on the site, but they will order it because they sell Vatche. It is the U-113.

My pictures:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-1-58-g-vs1-from-gog-in-vatche-u-113-tiffany-repro.171351/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-1-58-g-vs1-from-gog-in-vatche-u-113-tiffany-repro.171351/[/URL]
Wow, that's a beautiful diamond and setting. I too love the blue flour, as someone who is red/green colorblind, blue is my favorite color! :loopy:

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

vintagelover229|1328157610|3117031 said:
Hm... I would happily buy that with cash, but for obvious reasons I'd rather do it in person... wiring $21k requires a lot of trust.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It does, but if you're dealing with a legit jeweler it's not totally unsafe. Charging it though, that costs more overall.

As far as a setting, I'd put it in a simple 6 prong solitaire in plat or wg and then choose the setting together.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

Call Wink at HP diamonds and let him know what you're looking for. He has Vatche and other rings that will fit the Bill. If I was going to do a "over the top" diamond, bigger is not what I would suggest, but perhaps this stone here.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=591

set in platinum on such a small finger/hand size it will look amazing IMO.

Save several thousand dollars and take a Trip to Cancun, Europe, etc. as I'm sure you'll find some amazing ways to spend the cash you'd save going this route, but atlas, this is but my humble opinion.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd probably skip the 3.2 ct stone- although the size is tempting :)

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

I love blue fluorescence, and it seems you're not opposed to it, so I would go with something like this.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.707-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104055873016

That's a pretty substantial size diamond on a size 4 finger. (I have a diamond around this size and my finger size is around 4, so I know this first hand.) H is a pretty white color; my diamond is an H without fluorescence and it's pretty white. I imagine this one will look a bit whiter than mine because of the fluorescence. I know you're not keen on SI1, but they will be very honest with you on whether you can see inclusions or not in it. I have an eyeclean SI1, so I know they exist.

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

Here is a diamond a Jamesallen rep found for me:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1315809.asp - HCA score 1.1

She was REALLY excited about this one, said the jeweler took a pause on the phone after pulling the stone... and the jeweler said the stone was absolutely stunning. She said this would be the stone that makes you remember why cut is so important.

She also found another stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1454139.asp - VS1 => VS2 but 20% cheaper. HCA score 2.0

She said the jeweler didn't seem as excited about this one, but that it was also beautiful.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

That is a fine stone, aka the G VS1 but do remember, they are sales people none the less so being excited about 20% more in a sale is or can also be a inspiring thing. Its a matter of perspective. I DO like the stone thou. No question there

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

twinkie_transformer|1328215983|3117575 said:
Here is a diamond a Jamesallen rep found for me:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1315809.asp - HCA score 1.1

She was REALLY excited about this one, said the jeweler took a pause on the phone after pulling the stone... and the jeweler said the stone was absolutely stunning. She said this would be the stone that makes you remember why cut is so important.

She also found another stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1454139.asp - VS1 => VS2 but 20% cheaper. HCA score 2.0

She said the jeweler didn't seem as excited about this one, but that it was also beautiful.

Has James Allen given you the ASETs for these diamonds? If not, get them. When you do, post them here. I love looking at ASETS.

They are both beautiful choices.

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

Ravinmad|1328220288|3117652 said:
That is a fine stone, aka the G VS1 but do remember, they are sales people none the less so being excited about 20% more in a sale is or can also be a inspiring thing. Its a matter of perspective. I DO like the stone thou. No question there
Ha, you made me laugh pretty hard. Hopefully she wasn't :Up_to_something: If it was just about commission though, I would've expected her to steer me towards the J which would be another 20% bigger sale (and was also initially my top choice).

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

I'm really struggling to understand why people aren't excited about the 3.2 carat J SI1 XXX cut. Considering it's eyeclean, seems like for $28k it's a GREAT value. I've found other J SI1 XXX for much more...

Even what I've read on PS seems to indicate J/SI1 is good value. But even the Jamesallen rep wasn't enthused about the J/SI1.

I'm genuinely puzzled :confused:

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

personally me and my so worry that getting a diamond over 1ct as attracting the wrong attention in our area. We're in Michigan and with alot of folks out of work, hard times, etc we choose to stay modest and exercise caution. We are extremely happy with what is going to be our debt free .5ct E ring here shortly. I dont mind anyone wanting or having a bigger stone, but a 3ct stone is or would draw alot of attention, and some of it unwanted IMO. perhaps I'm just paranoid or overly cautious, :blackeye: then again look at the jeweler who was just murdered over big stones on rapnet. :cry:

Hate to be a downer, but 3ct stone= trouble looking your way Or folks that think its fake, lol.... take your choice :confused:

I think DS ring, the Vatche U series tiffany repo is a darn near idea ring now that I see it, as thats what sometime/someday we might aspire too. We/I have yet to suffer from SDS or shrinking diamond syndrome :loopy:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

twinkie_transformer|1328230790|3117850 said:
I'm really struggling to understand why people aren't excited about the 3.2 carat J SI1 XXX cut. Considering it's eyeclean, seems like for $28k it's a GREAT value. I've found other J SI1 XXX for much more...

I am! I'm a girl with small fingers who loves larger diamonds. And my current one is an SI2!

But, it's an antique cut. I know much less about modern round brilliants.

Personally, sounds worth at least investigating if you know your girl wouldn't find it too large (I wouldn't). ;-)

Anne

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock

Um, I am just like the girl you describe but to me size AND cut quality matters more than color and clarity. If you think she likes size more than vs+ d~f range stone, you should definitely look for more info about that 3carat stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In terms of the Leon Mege ring somebody linked, the seller has done a lot of business with other pricescopers it seems (myself included) and if the protection built into ebay and paypal doesn't put you at ease, you can always agree to have a third party you're more comfortable with manage the interaction, like Jewels by Erica Grace or Pearlmans etc.

I'm just advocating a second look there because not only is it a good diamond especially at that price, it also comes with a premium top of the line setting that would otherwise cost $4-5k on its own, and you did say your girlfriend likes the best, and he has a strong reputation for his micropave work. Just food for thought. :)

anne_h|1328237892|3117975 said:
twinkie_transformer|1328230790|3117850 said:

I am! I'm a girl with small fingers who loves larger diamonds. And my current one is an SI2!

But, it's an antique cut. I know much less about modern round brilliants.

Personally, sounds worth at least investigating if you know your girl wouldn't find it too large (I wouldn't). ;-)

Anne

I have a 3.18 I SI2 and it's gorgeous. Without a doubt I would get a J.. but that's just me. I would go down in color to go up in size.

I might bring your GF to see some J's in person first though. If she is not bothered by the slight slight creamy tone of a J.. then go for it!

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

So, I finally got the hold back on the 3.2 J that's only $28k... which means I'm willing to link to it here. No offense PS'ers, but this is the internet and there's lots of people who are :Up_to_something:

Here's a link to it, with a photo. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1433349.asp

It looks beautifully cut, to me. Literally my only concern at this point are the clouds that determined the grade of SI1. I may have to just order it and see for myself. I have an ASET image request pending on it (and the other G I linked in my original post).

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

twinkie_transformer|1328388948|3119112 said:
So, I finally got the hold back on the 3.2 J that's only $28k... which means I'm willing to link to it here. No offense PS'ers, but this is the internet and there's lots of people who are :Up_to_something:

Here's a link to it, with a photo. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1433349.asp

It looks beautifully cut, to me. Literally my only concern at this point are the clouds that determined the grade of SI1. I may have to just order it and see for myself. I have an ASET image request pending on it (and the other G I linked in my original post).

It is ver nice. Post the ASET. You may have quite a bargain.

06pvc

Shiny_Rock

Note: If you use the Pavilian/crown % instead of angles the HCA comes out to 1.4.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I go out of town for a couple of days and you go from looking at gorgeous F VS2's to seriously looking at the 3 ct. J SI1????? :-o

I mean no offense to anyone here, but unless you live in Beverly Hills or NYC and she works with people with 3 ct. diamonds and really is expecting that, you are going way down the wrong path, in my opinion, considering what you told us about her in the first post. Please give us an idea about what size city you live in, and does she have sisters or friends with engagement rings and what size diamonds do they have?

(Ravinmad, thank you! I am so glad you like my ring!)

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

06pvc|1328405316|3119250 said:
Note: If you use the Pavilian/crown % instead of angles the HCA comes out to 1.4.
Is that more accurate?

EDIT: Thank you for pointing this out, by the way. Tips the scales slightly more in favor of the 3.2J....

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1328269912|3118183 said:
In terms of the Leon Mege ring somebody linked, the seller has done a lot of business with other pricescopers it seems (myself included) and if the protection built into ebay and paypal doesn't put you at ease, you can always agree to have a third party you're more comfortable with manage the interaction, like Jewels by Erica Grace or Pearlmans etc.

I'm just advocating a second look there because not only is it a good diamond especially at that price, it also comes with a premium top of the line setting that would otherwise cost $4-5k on its own, and you did say your girlfriend likes the best, and he has a strong reputation for his micropave work. Just food for thought. :)

I agree with MTG, if you don't end up getting either of the two James Allen stones, this is absolutely the ring I would go with! Leon Mege does beautiful work, and this ring is gorgeous!

Like MTG said, you can always go through a third party. I am so eager for someone to get this ring!

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1328410855|3119313 said:
I go out of town for a couple of days and you go from looking at gorgeous F VS2's to seriously looking at the 3 ct. J SI1????? :-o

I mean no offense to anyone here, but unless you live in Beverly Hills or NYC and she works with people with 3 ct. diamonds and really is expecting that, you are going way down the wrong path, in my opinion, considering what you told us about her in the first post. Please give us an idea about what size city you live in, and does she have sisters or friends with engagement rings and what size diamonds do they have?

(Ravinmad, thank you! I am so glad you like my ring!)
No offense taken! Please be honest! :) I am here to learn. :read:

So, a little bit more about her/us. We live in San Francisco... our peers are getting 1-2 carat diamonds, some slightly bigger (EDIT: some somewhat smaller, some foregoing diamonds altogether). If I believe some of the stuff I've read on Pricescope about the Bay Area, I would think we all have 2-3 carat diamonds. :lol: I dunno, I never really paid attention to these things in the past.

While she likes getting the "best", she is also a huge fan of stretching dollars... I know, yeah yeah, who isn't? But she tries harder than anyone else I know... before she buys $300 shoes, she might go to the store and look around 5 times. She always likes nice things twice as much if she thinks she or I paid a good price. That is the reason I'm considering the 3.2 J in the first place.

As far as family... my mom's diamond is probably a tenth of a carat (my parents got married in college)... nobody has anything even close to a carat, let alone 2 carats. I know her mom would be super proud if she got a 3 carat... my parents would probably sniff at it...

What I am wondering from you... is that assuming this diamond looks terrific, why do you think I'm making a huge mistake? I don't really give two figs what my family thinks, but I don't want her coworkers to secretly hate her! I am very ignorant about fashion faux paux, especially related to diamonds. :saint:

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

Snow_Miser|1328412602|3119329 said:
MakingTheGrade|1328269912|3118183 said:

I agree with MTG, if you don't end up getting either of the two James Allen stones, this is absolutely the ring I would go with! Leon Mege does beautiful work, and this ring is gorgeous!

Like MTG said, you can always go through a third party. I am so eager for someone to get this ring!
So my only issue with the ring is the SI2 clarity. While I have seen some VERY beautiful SI2s here on Pricescope, I don't think I could buy an SI2 online without seeing some really detailed photographs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results