shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise proposal on VDay. Budget $20k. Help me do it right!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Surprise proposal on VDay. Budget $20k. Help me do it ri

Alexa, how perfect that you saw this thread! Your 2 ct. stone looks HUGE in a size 4 ring! That will give t-t a good idea of how huge a 2 ct. is on that size finger (and why I think a 3 ct. would be way over the top)! I love your ring! :love:

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

sna77|1328456348|3119518 said:
sna77|1325281830|3091785 said:
bored waiting for the WF pics to come in, so I've been surfing around at random EGL stones out of boredom.

2.7 ct D VS2 for $30k and a 0.7 on the HCA. Ha, I mean even if its an F / SI1, that's pretty good. ;))

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=103403464&flag=ps
http://www.abazias.com/certtemp/103403464.jpg

Heck, you can even pay GIA to certify the damn thing during the inspection period... :bigsmile:
So they got back to me:

------
Hello [twinkie],
Thank you for contacting Abazias. Stock number 103403464--2.76ct round D VS2 EGL is available but will not be a GIA F/SI1 or better. All diamonds are priced according to their true qualities and this diamond is priced like a G color, SI2 clarity stone. The diamond cutter also said it has a mild haze which is accounted for in the price. Some EGL certified stones will be only two grades lower in color and one grade lower in clarity in comparison to what has been reported on the certifcate but price will be the biggest indicator of quality. If the price of the EGL diamond is lower than a comparable weight GIA stone of F color, SI1 clarity you can anticipate the color and clarity to be even lower than average for EGL. EGL is unfortunately very inconsistent with their grading. Please contact me with any questions or if you need further assistance with your search.
Thanks again and I look forward to working with you.
Sincerely,
Katie.

atp223

Shiny_Rock

1. DS, you're so sweet...you totally made my day! :)

2. TT - I really think you'll get a lot of bang for your buck at BGD, without having to sacrifice quality in the least.

And I can see what DS is saying about keeping the diamond size at the upper limit of her peer group. That's sort of what we did. I'm very proud of my ring, but I don't feel uncomfortable when people fawn over it (let me tell you, BGD's diamonds are SO SPARKLY, so people will fawn). But if it was substantially bigger than almost everyone's ring, I might feel a little awkward. And I don't know how old your gf is, or what she does, but I'm a 27 yr old patent attorney, and I would feel uncomfortable wearing a ring so much bigger than my female coworkers or the wives of the partners at my firm. If they are millionaires and still stick to the low 2 carat range, what would I look like w something so much bigger? Especially when I'm so much poorer haha. But 10 years from now, when I myself am more established, I will probably feel differently :).

So I would take her age and occupation into consideration, too. Also it sounds like she would prefer something perfect and smaller than tinted or hazy and bigger. But to each their own. The fact that you're doing all of this research is great and I'm sure she'll be ecstatic regardless. Having a beautiful ring is just icing on the cake for getting to spend the rest of your life with your best friend :).

Good luck and if you have any questions for me about my bgd experience etc I'm happy to help.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=836 1.71 H vs1 for 24.9k infinity diamond, its a beauty

I like this BGD "Blue" 2.002Ct I VS2 for 20.7 before your PS discount

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ls/2.002-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104049675004

So you get an additional 5% off for being a PS member, then additional off if you wire, they have to compute that. Suddenly you have the entire ring, a amazing 2.0+ct ring complete for under $23.000 bucks.

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock

I think that 3ct will look fine on a size 4 finger. Yes-it is big but not over the top as many people here would say. I myself have a 2.9 and I get nothing but compliments. It is an I SI1 and it shows no tint at all-nor can you see any inclusions. The one inclusion that it has is a crystal on the table-and it is not visible at all. So yes, it is possible to find a beautiful high quality diamond that is "low" colored and not VS2 or VS1. It is well cut, and all you see is beautiful sparkle. It really bothers me when people urge others to get what they need in a diamond-because there are MANY exceptional daimonds that are I or J or SI1 or S12. Yes an F VS2 that is well cut is a good quality diamond-but so is a well cut H, I, or J colored diamond. I have no regrets that my diamond is an I color and also an SI1-I love it. Get what you want and if you think you need to go larger-go larger and drop the color-just make sure that it is well cut. It does not have to be a perfect hearts and arrows-just well cut so your fiance can get her sparkle!

I think that the I colored diamonds that have been suggested to you will be beautiful! And a good value. I know Jon at GOG has some beauties-and if he says a diamond is a winner you can trust him! I bought my first 2.36 I colored SI1 from him-no inclusions-no "horrible" color tint-and I wore it on my size 4 finger with no problem at all-until I upgraded for the 2.9. I love the 2.9 more just because it is bigger!

Good luck to you-go with your gut. You know your fiance and you know what she likes-trust yourself.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ravinmad|1328565892|3120371 said:
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=836 1.71 H vs1 for 24.9k infinity diamond, its a beauty

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ls/2.002-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104049675004

So you get an additional 5% off for being a PS member, then additional off if you wire, they have to compute that. Suddenly you have the entire ring, a amazing 2.0+ct ring complete for under $23.000 bucks.

Just want to point out, the total discount (both wire + PS) is 5%.

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

So I found this picture of diamond clouds in a RB. If the clouds were its only inclusion, would it likely be SI1 or far lower (maybe I1?) - http://i.imgur.com/LIHrY.jpg

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

Phoenix|1328587446|3120661 said:
Ravinmad|1328565892|3120371 said:

Just want to point out, the total discount (both wire + PS) is 5%.

I am shopping diamonds with BGD right now, and just yesterday they said I would get the 5% PS discount, and then another lesser discount if I wired, its not a HUGE discount, but since my bank charges $25 bucks to wire, if it was worth it or not for me to do it by wire transfer. It turns out that a wire transfer will save me about $8 over using a card for the purchase. You are correct in that the 5% is the PS discount, but if you ask they will give you the skinny if you can save another $1 to ???? using the wire service. I would think on a 20,000 purchase it might be a bit more then the 2,000 i was looking to spend. YMMV :???:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd do the 2 ct. I over the 1.7 H.

idolo-2

Rough_Rock

im new to these forums! ive been researching diamonds with your EXACT same budget and concern about quality. I made an account just to reply haha. I didn't read all these posts but here was my take. I JUST pulled the trigger on a 1.55 F, VS1, XXX 1.4-1.6 HCA, no fluor. At one point I really did consider a larger diamond of around 2 carats... it came down to modesty to me. Sure some of her friends and such have 2+ carats, but that seems to be the norm around this budget. Every girl including my girlfriend would prefer a bigger diamond, but this purchase is between me and her. As long as she knows what I got her and how much better it is than most diamonds it'll make me and her happy. I don't care so much about what others think.. if its too small.. if its too overpriced.. blah blah. For the money I make, in reality, I should've gone with slightly less $ but i suppose its kind of a way to disguise how great the diamond is. I'm happy with my diamond which is being set as we speak.. now the hard part. i'd say stick with your first instincts and get a smaller with higher specs, but thats my take.

I think i got lucky. I got mine through family jeweler. It was actually posted on bluenile, but I secured it and got it cheaper than 20K! Cheaper than the wire price of bluenile woot.

good luck with your purchase! Hope i didn't offend anyone..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

idolo-2|1328674561|3121438 said:
im new to these forums! ive been researching diamonds with your EXACT same budget and concern about quality. I made an account just to reply haha. I didn't read all these posts but here was my take. I JUST pulled the trigger on a 1.55 F, VS1, XXX 1.4-1.6 HCA, no fluor. At one point I really did consider a larger diamond of around 2 carats... it came down to modesty to me. Sure some of her friends and such have 2+ carats, but that seems to be the norm around this budget. Every girl including my girlfriend would prefer a bigger diamond, but this purchase is between me and her. As long as she knows what I got her and how much better it is than most diamonds it'll make me and her happy. I don't care so much about what others think.. if its too small.. if its too overpriced.. blah blah. For the money I make, in reality, I should've gone with slightly less $ but i suppose its kind of a way to disguise how great the diamond is. I'm happy with my diamond which is being set as we speak.. now the hard part. i'd say stick with your first instincts and get a smaller with higher specs, but thats my take.

I think i got lucky. I got mine through family jeweler. It was actually posted on bluenile, but I secured it and got it cheaper than 20K! Cheaper than the wire price of bluenile woot.

good luck with your purchase! Hope i didn't offend anyone..

Great job! You certainly chose a wonderful stone and did well on your price! I basically did the same thing and went with a 1.58 G VS1 instead of going to 2 cts. in a lower color/clarity. I think a 2 ct. diamond is great for those who feel more comfortable with that. Where I would personally be uncomfortable is having a ring that is far larger than anyone else in my family or social circle. I just don't have any desire to even have the appearance of trying to outdo others.

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

So happy! I pulled the trigger! It's a 2.01 carat, I color, VS1 clarity, no flour, GIA XXX, 1.0 HCA FIREBALL . Seriously, when I saw this, I was immediately in love. Clarity is outstanding, nearly a VVS2. Color is high I for sure, but the cut is so amazing it faces up like an F :o

Don't take my word for it. Here are some pictures taken with my godawful phone camera. :bigsmile: Remember I am not a hand model.

First, I call this The Flashlight: :naughty:
IMAG0189_0.jpg

This one is The Bonfire: :lickout:
IMAG0190.jpg

And here is The Icecube (taken by Derco's): :bigsmile:
QhlnZ.jpg

Got this bad boy for $22k on the dot (plus setting and sales tax) at Derco's in SF. Thank you John!

idolo-2

Rough_Rock

congrats! that is noice and sparkly :D

twinkie_transformer

Rough_Rock

Thanks to everyone here who helped guide me towards the middle-ground between a 1.51 F and a 3.2 J. To everyone who steered me clear of "Clarity determined by clouds not shown." Especially to those in this thread who went the extra mile and showed me stones I wasn't previously thinking about. :)

Now comes the easy part. :lol:

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

Great job! It is beautiful.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

Way to go! thats a beautiful stone and discussion gets the thought process going and sometimes tempers us. I believe that Its too easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment/idea etc of a major decision and not make the best choice.

again, congratulations :appl:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow, beautiful!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please let us know how it goes! I hope you bowl her over with that stone!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd say you did it right!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results