shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions on setting for strong blue fluorscent diamond

Canelitta

Rough_Rock
I just received my heart shaped diamond and I'm thrilled with the strong blue fluoroscent!
but I found that the blue only shows with black or dark background, the darker the better - in the beginning I had it on white background and the blue was very faint that I thought I was cheated :lol:
so now I have a question, I would still like to see the blue fluroscent after it's on a ring, are there any suggestions on how to choose the setting? thanks!!
920242631274856903.jpg
341971232481884089.jpg
902865406263413606.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Suggestions on setting for strong blue fluorscent diamon

It's the lighting that makes it fluoresce, not the setting.
Light must contain enough ultraviolet content to activate the fluor.
Sunlight has it.
A black-light has it.

Typical indoor lighting does not ... regardless of the setting.

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

hi kenny I'm well aware of that, but with UV light + white/light background I can hardly see the fluorescence! i'll try to take a picture later to compare the difference

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Canelitta|1473140617|4073574 said:
hi kenny I'm well aware of that, but with UV light + white/light background I can hardly see the fluorescence! i'll try to take a picture later to compare the difference
Like Kenny says, practically the only time fluorescence will be activated is in direct sunlight. But in direct sunlight the blue will be overwhelmed by white light, though may still be evident. A black light activates fluoro without the competing wavelengths, which is why you can appreciate the distinct glow. Indoors, even with a fluoro light source such as typical tubes in overhead fixtures in office buildings, the intensity of the UV wavelengths is normally insufficient to activate the fluorescence. Therefore the setting won't change what you see with regard to fluoro in any significant way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep, I have had medium and strong blue and never really noticed the fluorescence unless I had a UV light shining on it! The background color as nothing to do with it, and neither will the setting!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Still .. what does the setting choice have to do with the background when/where the diamond is viewed?

The only way to get what you apparently want is to spend the rest of your life in a dark room in which the walls and everything in the room is painted black with a black light as the only source of light.
Even if you did that, again, the setting has nothing to do with all of this.

I recommend you just pick a setting you like and enjoy your diamond.
Perhaps from time to time you'll see a hint of its blue fluor.

Do keep in mind when you see blue in your diamond under a sunny cloudless sky, that much (perhaps all) of the blue you see is just reflection of the blue sky.
To test this put it next to a diamond that does not fluoresce.
It will likely look very blue too.

If you want to see blue all the time you'll have to buy a blue diamond, though they are over-the-moon expensive.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HI Canelitta,
Welcome to Pricescope, and congrats on getting a kewl SB diamond!
Most people that have worked with and seen a lot of Strong and Medium Blue diamonds have seen examples that have a slight blueish cast in any lighting bright enough to see the body color- but not all SB stones do this.
That's part of what makes fluorescence so difficult to easily categorize- it does not affect every diamond in the same way.
Then we have lighting, which is clearly a variable which depends on how you live, and light your environment.
In my world, the vast majority of time when I'm experiencing bright light, there's an element of sunlight- even indoors. For example we have a room that appears to be brightly lit at night. During the daytime, if the window shade is closed- when I open the shade and immediately notice the fact that the room brightens exponentially- even in the opposing corners where there's no direct sunlight.
Again, most diamond professionals who've worked with quantities of fluorescent diamonds find that you can "excite" the fluorescence in many indoor lighting environments.

As a lover of fluorescent diamonds myself, I do believe that you can accentuate the effect in subtle ways, so I sometimes do take it into account when considering a setting.
One example is using pink diamonds in close proximity- such as a halo

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

What a sweet heart! I have no setting suggestions (other than I'd put in in a pendant). Let us know what you decide--great project!

cheers--Sharon

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock

Hi Canelitta, hope you don't mind me asking, but can you share the details of your heart (apart from the flur). It looks like a beautiful stone.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

hello Elizabeth,
thanks for the comments! it's 0.51 carats, color I, clarity VVS1, excellent polish & very good symmetry, around $800

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock

Wow, you did good! :D

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

canuk-gal|1473208296|4073911 said:
HI:

What a sweet heart! I have no setting suggestions (other than I'd put in in a pendant). Let us know what you decide--great project!

cheers--Sharon
thanks! if I had 2 of these I'd put it in a pendant too but this is meant to be an engagement ring, I'll come back with pics after it's done =)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A heart engagement diamond?
Are you the giver or the receiver?
If you are the giver, did the recipient ask for the heart shape?

I ask because it's a special shape.
Some people feel it's risky to surprise with a shape this special, especially as an engagement diamond since may be worn every day for life.
Some feel that a more often-seen shape is a safer choice.

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

kenny|1473200464|4073856 said:

Still .. what does the setting choice have to do with the background when/where the diamond is viewed?

The only way to get what you apparently want is to spend the rest of your life in a dark room in which the walls and everything in the room is painted black with a black light as the only source of light.
Even if you did that, again, the setting has nothing to do with all of this.

I recommend you just pick a setting you like and enjoy your diamond.
Perhaps from time to time you'll see a hint of its blue fluor.

Do keep in mind when you see blue in your diamond under a sunny cloudless sky, that much (perhaps all) of the blue you see is just reflection of the blue sky.
To test this put it next to a diamond that does not fluoresce.
It will likely look very blue too.

If you want to see blue all the time you'll have to buy a blue diamond, though they are over-the-moon expensive.
hi..I don't need to see the blue all the time, but I would just like to see the dreamy blue sheen when I put black light on it :twirl:
when I tried at home the color looks different on dark background and light background, I'll try to take some pics to show it 8-)

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

kenny|1473232610|4073987 said:
A heart engagement diamond?
Are you the giver or the receiver?
If you are the giver, did the recipient ask for the heart shape?

I ask because it's a special shape.
Some people feel it's risky to surprise with a shape this special, especially as an engagement diamond since may be worn every day for life.
Some feel that a more often-seen shape is a safer choice.
hi Kenny I'm the receiver ;)) ;))
I'm a sucker for anything heart shaped!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Excellent!
Enjoy. :appl:

We have a little heart shape diamond, a yellow one.
Very special.

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

kenny|1473234338|4073993 said:
Excellent!
Enjoy. :appl:

We have a little heart shape diamond, a yellow one.
Very special.
thanks kenny I already have mine so won't be looking anymore, but if you post a photo maybe someone will be interested!
I tried to take photos with black light white background and it doesn't look as "blue" as under dark background, or maybe it's because the white background looks blue too, and another thing I've noticed is after the black light is out, the diamond glows in the dark looking greenish yellow! :lol:
408099468595498909.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The glowing after the light is removed is called phosphorescence. Not all fluorescent stones phosphoresce, and not all stones that phosphoresce will fluoresce (Hope diamond, for one). It's super cool.

Canelitta

Rough_Rock

ringo865|1473305907|4074265 said:
The glowing after the light is removed is called phosphorescence. Not all fluorescent stones phosphoresce, and not all stones that phosphoresce will fluoresce (Hope diamond, for one). It's super cool.
yes I'm happy we went with this SBF one!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results