shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestion for David Klass ringdant

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I gave myself about 1 year to figure out what I really want for my 6.5ct 10.78mm YZ diamond center stone.

I first wanted halo, but I end up changing my mind and want a simple 3 stone ring. I had DK source a pair of .80tcw 5.3mm rounded trillions. I don’t want the side stone to overwhelm the center stone. Also if the side stone is any bigger, I won’t be able to see any metal on the side and it’s not a look I am going for. It will be set with 18k yellow gold for center stone and platinum for the band. It ring width is going to be 2.5.

I also want to have a solitaire, so I asked DK to made another setting that I can switch the center stone to the solitaire. This ring will be 18k yellow gold and 3mm width. I don’t like the ring to be skinny looking, because I have size 8.5 finger. I am not sure if 3mm will be too much. DK will send the plastic CAD, so I can confirm how I feel.

On top of that, the center stone can be converted to use as a pendant! I am glad I took my time to figure out what I want.

I have them change some details on the CADs about 2/3 times on both ring, and it’s seems I am happy with it. I am just wondering if there are suggestions any of you can give? I appreciate suggestions from you guys. It helps me figure out what I like and prevented me from making regrets.

Thanks!

AD058F83-3BAF-4F2D-A360-E50D5B6BA85B.jpeg 4BCF64B6-F271-4221-8FC0-D9E8B9F2A700.jpeg 9FA9D849-02CA-4DA7-A26C-0B2F7FD3F63D.jpeg 2BDF9BF3-BB53-4A35-8A6B-0B3BDEED5660.jpeg FC20BD42-C87E-48C2-BAD4-51FD3FCB892B.jpeg EE306007-C419-4442-A387-881F7C6AF409.jpeg B501AD78-23E8-4C3B-A2DE-7709D0F1043F.jpeg DE90449C-410C-441D-89DC-2FC8B3FD89CF.jpeg

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Omg that's a really unique idea! I've seen convertible rings to pendants before but never multiple sleeves, if you will, for more than one ring!

I love it! I bet it'll be so much fun to choose each day, gaudy & blingtastic or simple & bold! The CADs look great to me but I'm a simple gal & usually know exactly what I want from the start. Hopefully some CAD wizards can chime in if they have any concerns!

But I love this concept & may have to use it for my emerald ring!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Omg that's a really unique idea! I've seen convertible rings to pendants before but never multiple sleeves, if you will, for more than one ring!

I love it! I bet it'll be so much fun to choose each day, gaudy & blingtastic or simple & bold! The CADs look great to me but I'm a simple gal & usually know exactly what I want from the start. Hopefully some CAD wizards can chime in if they have any concerns!

But I love this concept & may have to use it for my emerald ring!

Yea I am excited. I feel bored of my ring too fast, and I want to be able to switch up the styles. So I was bold enough to ask if it could be done. I don’t see why not. I sure will be using this center diamond a lot!

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
This is a fantastic idea! Looking forward to seeing the results.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
This might be a silly question, but how does the stone and setting release / secure to the band / pendant? My mind is blown

There is a clip under the center stone basket. So every time I want to change the setting, I can take off and remove.

I know some people worried about how secure the center stone is going to be. I am worried as well. I had seen a few members on price scope have a ringdant and they love it. So I am willing to try it out.

mission_frisson

Rough_Rock
There is a clip under the center stone basket. So every time I want to change the setting, I can take off and remove.

I know some people worried about how secure the center stone is going to be. I am worried as well. I had seen a few members on price scope have a ringdant and they love it. So I am willing to try it out.

I have a ringdant from David and am discussing another one with him right now so you're speaking my language! :lol:

Re: security of the center stone - I want to help alleviate your concerns. My center stone isn't as large as yours but feels very secure. When worn as a ring it would take a lot of force at a specific angle to remove the center stone.

Here are some pics of my clip and setting:

IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3421.JPG IMG_3425.JPG

The clip itself is very secure but the extra piece of metal in the clip which goes into the hole in setting helps it feel more secure.

My only suggestion is to discuss flipping of the center stone when worn as a pendant with David. He may suggest a bale depending on how it turns out. Excited to see the result!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ringdant from David and am discussing another one with him right now so you're speaking my language! :lol:

Re: security of the center stone - I want to help alleviate your concerns. My center stone isn't as large as yours but feels very secure. When worn as a ring it would take a lot of force at a specific angle to remove the center stone.

The clip itself is very secure but the extra piece of metal in the clip which goes into the hole in setting helps it feel more secure.

My only suggestion is to discuss flipping of the center stone when worn as a pendant with David. He may suggest a bale depending on how it turns out. Excited to see the result!

Oh thank you very much for your information! It helps me ease my mind. He originally suggested a bale but it’s not a look I am going for. Because my center stone don’t have a halo, the bale would stick out as I am wearing it as a ring. It looks odd to me. He said my chain can run through the basket. I hope it turns out good.

mission_frisson

Rough_Rock
Oh thank you very much for your information! It helps me ease my mind. He originally suggested a bale but it’s not a look I am going for. Because my center stone don’t have a halo, the bale would stick out as I am wearing it as a ring. It looks odd to me. He said my chain can run through the basket. I hope it turns out good.

I think he suggested a detachable bale but that wasn't the look I was going for with the pendant. @prs details a gorgeous ringdant (also with DK) with detachable bale here for more inspiration: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-ringdant-by-david-klass.250549/

My project was complicated because I wanted a DBTY chain so I needed extra room to thread my chain through my center stone piece. David can strategically place struts to aid with the pendant hang if you want a thinner chain and won't need the clearance.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I think he suggested a detachable bale but that wasn't the look I was going for with the pendant. @prs details a gorgeous ringdant (also with DK) with detachable bale here for more inspiration: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-ringdant-by-david-klass.250549/

My project was complicated because I wanted a DBTY chain so I needed extra room to thread my chain through my center stone piece. David can strategically place struts to aid with the pendant hang if you want a thinner chain and won't need the clearance.

Oh I see what you mean now. It’s a good idea, but I still don’t like the look of it. I hope the chain going through the basket won’t make the stone tip up in a wired way. If it does maybe I can ask DK to make the bale as the last resort.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool is that! :kiss2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
WANT!

I wonder if it would be possible to make a "ringdantlet" or whatever you'd call adding on a bracelet option too. :)

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
WANT!

I wonder if it would be possible to make a "ringdantlet" or whatever you'd call adding on a bracelet option too. :)

I think it might be possible! In this case it need 2 bales and use a chain with 2 clasps to connect as bracelet.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think it might be possible! In this case it need 2 bales and use a chain with 2 clasps to connect as bracelet.

I’m Wondering if it could connect exactly like the ring but onto a skinny type bangle? I also feel like it might need additional security latch for that though.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I’m Wondering if it could connect exactly like the ring but onto a skinny type bangle? I also feel like it might need additional security latch for that though.

If someone is looking for a project like that, they can ask DK to see.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
O. so cool! This is one of the reasons why I joined PS. Such a great idea! I never knew such a thing existed!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
This is sooo cool plus your stone sounds amazing!
Please post loads of pictures when it's done!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not going to lie, this seems like a Generally Very Bad Idea unless you will (A) rarely wear these pieces, and (B) hardly every switch settings. If this is for an everyday ring please reconsider!!

Moving parts are always going to be weak points in terms of durability. Hinge - weak point. Clip fastener - weak point. Steadying plates - warp liability. Forgoing soldering of head and shank - drastically decreased resistance in all directions against both occasional acute impacts (inevitable) and daily pressures. And your stone is huge, which makes it even more vulnerable.

If you do move forward, I can’t recommend avoiding platinum enough: The alloys of platinum that are normally used in cast jewellery are absolutely terrible for this sort of thing. Common perception is that it’s “harder”, or “stronger” - that’s incorrect. For a given pressure, platinum tends to inelastically deform whereas alloyed gold tends to elastically deform. This means that for a given amount of pressure, platinum will be quick to bend/skew/warp, whereas alloyed gold will try to return to its original work-hardened shape once the pressure is removed; if the pressure is intense and sudden enough, both platinum and alloyed gold will break, but breaking gold requires less intensity and suddenness of impact. Elasticity is good when you think about grabbing a doorknob four times a day for a year - you want the metal to return to original shape once you let go of the handle. Elasticity is bad when you think about dropping your ring - if you whack a platinum shank or platinum prongs, the prongs are more likely to bend on impact - damaged but still holding the stone, whereas gold prongs are more likely to snap. This is where the idea of platinum being “stronger” comes from.

The plate on the shank that these clips will fasten onto and the clips themselves are already delicate designs, and it looks like they’ll be cast not handforged, so they should be made of 14k gold to mitigate warping with use. You’ll want to talk with your vendor about this - using platinum in this scenario is something that no professional would ever recommend, so I must assume this detail was missed.

Last edited:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Not going to lie, this seems like a Generally Very Bad Idea unless you will (A) rarely wear these pieces, and (B) hardly every switch settings. If this is for an everyday ring please reconsider!!

Moving parts are always going to be weak points in terms of durability. Hinge - weak point. Clip fastener - weak point. Steadying plates - warp liability. Forgoing soldering of head and shank - drastically decreased resistance in all directions against both occasional acute impacts (inevitable) and daily pressures. And your stone is huge, which makes it even more vulnerable.

If you do move forward, I can’t recommend avoiding platinum enough: The alloys of platinum that are normally used in cast jewellery are absolutely terrible for this sort of thing. Common perception is that it’s “harder”, or “stronger” - that’s incorrect. For a given pressure, platinum tends to inelastically deform whereas alloyed gold tends to elastically deform. This means that for a given amount of pressure, platinum will be quick to bend/skew/warp, whereas alloyed gold will try to return to its original work-hardened shape once the pressure is removed; if the pressure is intense and sudden enough, both platinum and alloyed gold will break, but breaking gold requires less intensity and suddenness of impact. Elasticity is good when you think about grabbing a doorknob four times a day for a year - you want the metal to return to original shape once you let go of the handle. Elasticity is bad when you think about dropping your ring - if you whack a platinum shank or platinum prongs, the prongs are more likely to bend on impact - damaged but still holding the stone, whereas gold prongs are more likely to snap. This is where the idea of platinum being “stronger” comes from.

The plate on the shank that these clips will fasten onto and the clips themselves are already delicate designs, and it looks like they’ll be cast not handforged, so they should be made of 14k gold to mitigate warping with use. You’ll want to talk with your vendor about this - using platinum in this scenario is something that no professional would ever recommend, so I must assume this detail was missed.

Thank you for this! I do want to move forward, so I should change the platinum to 14 K. I assume that the 18k one should be ok?

Another idea that came to mind is that I can keep the ring platinum,but the part where it clip I asked to use 14k gold.

Last edited:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell me what metal was used on your ringdant? I was thinking of using platinum and platinum do deform very easily.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock

Can you tell me what metal was used on your ringdant? I was thinking of using platinum and platinum do deform very easily.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you can eventually add a removable halo at some point :confused:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for this! I do want to move forward, so I should change the platinum to 14 K. I assume that the 18k one should be ok?

Another idea that came to mind is that I can keep the ring platinum,but the part where it clip I asked to use 14k gold.

It’s my understanding that there are challenges with soldering WG to platinum, but I don’t want to state anything definitive as I don’t want to give you misinformation. Ideally the entire shank is non-platinum - the shape and orientation of the plate depends on both what stresses the plate itself is subjected to and the configuration the shank is holding the plate in (or forcing it into).

The white metal bands in Cartier’sTrinity line, and all VCA’s white bangles, are WG rather than platinum for this very reason - platinum just doesn’t hold shape well over time compared to white gold.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It’s my understanding that there are challenges with soldering WG to platinum, but I don’t want to state anything definitive as I don’t want to give you misinformation. Ideally the entire shank is non-platinum - the shape and orientation of the plate depends on both what stresses the plate itself is subjected to and the configuration the shank is holding the plate in (or forcing it into).

The white metal bands in Cartier’sTrinity line, and all VCA’s white bangles, are WG rather than platinum for this very reason - platinum just doesn’t hold shape well over time compared to white gold.

Thank you so much ! I had missed this detail. It’s good to know this now! I am also working on a project with Alex from Parks Fine Group. Hence that’s why he is using 14k gold for my mother’s ring instead of 18k when I asked him. He didn’t tell me why, but now it makes sense.

I wanted to use platinum so that it doesn’t change color. I notice my 18k and 14k jewelry turn yellow, but I can always have it replate the rhodium instead of changing the whole ring.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much ! I had missed this detail. It’s good to know this now! I am also working on a project with Alex from Parks Fine Group. Hence that’s why he is using 14k gold for my mother’s ring instead of 18k when I asked him. He didn’t tell me why, but now it makes sense.

I wanted to use platinum so that it doesn’t change color. I notice my 18k and 14k jewelry turn yellow, but I can always have it replate the rhodium instead of changing the whole ring.

There are alloys of white gold that don't require rhodium plating - they're alloyed with palladium instead of nickel, and they're naturally white. They're not quite as "strong" (in this context) as nickel WG but they're still preferable to platinum.

mission_frisson

Rough_Rock

I used platinum for the whole ring.
Edited after reading some other posts - While I feel comfortable with my ring I have to point out that it’s not an everyday ring for me. The center stone is a paraiba so I’m careful with it and more worried about damaging the gem than facing issues with the setting.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results