shape
carat
color
clarity

Studs AGS Ideal or GIA XXX

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Which do you prefer for a 2 ctw diamond studs? And what specs are your sweet spot?

Thanks!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Given the ultra wide range of GIA XXX and the fact that some are incredible and some are, shall we say, less than even okay, I would personally choose the AGS ideal to be sure I was getting diamonds that would sparkle plenty.

To me, color and clarity not too important so long as there are no large visible inclusions and no unpleasant yucky looking colors. I am not talking about rich warm buttery yellows in the K-L-M-N and even lower colors, but brownish-yellows, grayish, yuckish for whatever reason colors.

Some of my clients prefer stunning white D-E colors and some opt to save a little with lower colors that tend to face white in AGS Ideals. Some prefer the warmer colors mentioned above, those are all personal taste choices. I hesitate to offer my "sweet spot" numbers, because if the symmetry and preciseness is not present, even the best numbers can look somehow wonky and not quite right. It is a package deal. Each diamond must be seen with YOUR eyes before the final decision is made.

Wink

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Wink! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO I'd go with AGS0 every time. For studs I think G si (eye clean) is my sweet spot. Have fun shopping!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others, I am totally happy with my superideal cut Whiteflash ACAs. I've had regrets before when I settled for lower quality in jewelry items, but I don't do that anymore because regrets usually end up costing me more money than just getting the best in the first place! Plus, all the superideal cut vendors offer a good trade up policy, and I have definitely used that! I think I am at my final pair at H color, VS2/SI1, and 1.15 cts each.

fair75

Rough_Rock
Generally speaking, I agree that many AGS ideals are better than GIA triple excellent. However, it becomes trickier if you are very familiar with the 4Cs and the ideal proportions. There are quite a few GIA triple excellent diamonds out there that have the same or similiar ideal proportions and H&A patterns as the AGS ideal. Of course, if you are talking about the super ideals, then it is safe to say that almost all of them are AGS certified. One thing I do want to point out is that not all AGS ideals are super ideals or H&As. Just like the GIA triple excellent, there are variations although the parameters are tighter for the AGS ideals. I guess what I am trying to say is you CAN find GIA triple excellent diamonds that sparkle as much as the majority of the AGS ideals in the same caliber if you know what you are looking for.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as the vendor provides the ASET image and all numbers are complementary, I do not necessarily favour AGS over GIA
In fact, some super ideal cuts are graded by GIA.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results