shape
carat
color
clarity

Struggling to decide on a (male) wedding ring

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is the one I'm considering - the 'Wood Grain'-patterned Damascus Steel with 'Oxidised' finish.

I'm not sure the quality is great on the zoomed in version but you can see the pattern and how it goes right through the ring nicely! :)

This one is 6mm with (IIRC) the slightly-domed exterior (rather than the flat option, IIRC).

:))

(Apologies for the terrible lighting / colour tint / state of my hands... :oops: lol)

chris_ploof_-_damascus_steel_-_oxidised_wood_grain_6mm_-_b.jpg

chris_ploof_-_damascus_steel_-_oxidised_wood_grain_6mm.jpg

chris_ploof_-_damascus_steel_-_oxidised_wood_grain_6mm_-_crop.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert on men’s rings but I really like the one you are considering - it looks great on you and has a lovely pattern! I also like the way 6mm looks on you. I think you could do 7mm, but I think 8mm might be a bit too much. My husband has big hands and didn’t want a ‘dainty’ ring and he ended up with a 7mm band. The 8mm just looked too wide, even on him. I agree with everyone else who says to go for what YOU love. This will be your forever ring and you don’t want to look down at your finger (even if it’s occasionally) and say “I should’ve gone with the wood grain band”. Lots of luck to you! :wavey:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has ET hands :) He has a very large knuckles and a very narrow actual finger and long fingers at that. Basically the opposite of SirGuy's hands. I had him try on a 5mm because that's what I wanted him to get, but even in his size to get it over the knuckle it then slides around between his knuckle and base of his finger with every moment he makes. The solutions being a) an expandable ring for arthritic fingers, b) the sizing bumps soldered inside the ring to limit movement, or c) a very wide ring which spans webbing to knuckle so it can't and doesn't slide. Not surprisingly he went with a wide band. He considered a 10mm for a while before deciding that might be too much. At 8mm it slides a bit but doesn't annoy. It's not so much that it's manly to be oversized like with watches, it's that he doesn't like the movement. Current fashion seems to be narrower 4 & 5mm rings based on what I've seen in the jewellery stores recently.

Your fingers don't have that problem. They look more fleshy than bony. If you pieced together rings in 8mm and it was too wide, don't do it. My husband honestly cannot feel his ring, I'm not sure it touches his finger except for the edges. It's just wide enough so that it doesn't rattle around much. I'm jealous, he never has the muffin top on fingers look I get in the summer :roll: 6mm looks good on you!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ac117|1476364422|4086599 said:
I’m not an expert on men’s rings but I really like the one you are considering - it looks great on you and has a lovely pattern! I also like the way 6mm looks on you. I think you could do 7mm, but I think 8mm might be a bit too much. My husband has big hands and didn’t want a ‘dainty’ ring and he ended up with a 7mm band. The 8mm just looked too wide, even on him. I agree with everyone else who says to go for what YOU love. This will be your forever ring and you don’t want to look down at your finger (even if it’s occasionally) and say “I should’ve gone with the wood grain band”. Lots of luck to you! :wavey:

Thank you for the kind words and feedback from your husband's experiences! :)

I think I might be leaning towards the 7mm too - I'll get the sizing rings ordered and will make a decision ASAP!

Rhea|1476365982|4086612 said:
My husband has ET hands :) He has a very large knuckles and a very narrow actual finger and long fingers at that. Basically the opposite of SirGuy's hands. I had him try on a 5mm because that's what I wanted him to get, but even in his size to get it over the knuckle it then slides around between his knuckle and base of his finger with every moment he makes. The solutions being a) an expandable ring for arthritic fingers, b) the sizing bumps soldered inside the ring to limit movement, or c) a very wide ring which spans webbing to knuckle so it can't and doesn't slide. Not surprisingly he went with a wide band. He considered a 10mm for a while before deciding that might be too much. At 8mm it slides a bit but doesn't annoy. It's not so much that it's manly to be oversized like with watches, it's that he doesn't like the movement. Current fashion seems to be narrower 4 & 5mm rings based on what I've seen in the jewellery stores recently.

Your fingers don't have that problem. They look more fleshy than bony. If you pieced together rings in 8mm and it was too wide, don't do it. My husband honestly cannot feel his ring, I'm not sure it touches his finger except for the edges. It's just wide enough so that it doesn't rattle around much. I'm jealous, he never has the muffin top on fingers look I get in the summer :roll: 6mm looks good on you!

haha @ the mental image of ET hands :D I think I have that to a degree too, so your husband is not alone!

I have definitely filled out slightly as I've got older (not sure that's such a good thing :tongue: lol) so my fingers are a bit chunkier now, but your husband's logic about increasing width being the best option to decrease movement is definitely something that is influencing my thinking :)

I'll get these sizing rings ordered today or tomorrow and hopefully they'll arrive quickly, then I can get on with trying them out day-to-day. Thank you for the kind comments on the 6mm version :)) I certainly wouldn't be dissatisfied with it, it's just my sense of "what if..." that makes me wonder if I'd be more satisfied with a 7mm or 8mm! lol

The curse of the modern world - too much choice! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results