shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone''s Done...Let''s Talk Settings...Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Okay...proud to say I''m going to get a sweet stone from Jonathan...with the great help of everyone here on the forums!!! I''ve posted some settings before to help get a feel for what I should be looking at and again, the help has been tremendous!!!

Attached are 6 settings (I''ve pretty much decided on Richard Landi for the design) and would love to here opinions!!! My soon-to-be fiance would like a more antique style and I''d like to continue to have Jonathan/GOG help out...both can happen with Landi and I''ve gotten very good feedback on their quality.

That said, a little stone talk...I''m getting a 0.87ct/VS1/G Regent from GOG with great properties (many here have already see the pic and specs. in another posting). I know I want to keep a minimum of setting around the stone (no bezel settings, etc.) and am planning to have sapphires for accent stones.

Anyway...that''s my story and I''d love to hear for all of you...I know I''ve got a couple people out there I can count on...the sooner this is done the sooner everyone gets to see pics!!! Thank you in advance for taking time out to read this and drop a note!!! Oh yeah...didn''t get numbers on these...I guess just "top, middle" is cool for which one! haha

Peace...
SDTinCup
rodent.gif

combo.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I like the one with pears on the side. It will not compete with (but actually enhace) the look of your pretty Regent!
1.gif

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
I'm with Giangi...#1 with pear shaped side stones. #2 Top right. These are some beautiful settings!

Good luck
1.gif

mini

Rough_Rock
I am only able to narrow it down to two rings from your beautiful choices. The ring on the top in the middle & the ring on the bottom at the end are both so elegant.... tough decision
loopy.gif
good luck!

Congrats on finding a great stone
appl.gif

Candace
www.abazias.com

bht122

Rough_Rock
I think squarish shapes go so well with half-moon sidestones so my pick is the bottom right, with #2 being the one with the pears.

mini

Rough_Rock
oh wait.... i left out the middle bottom one...
wavey.gif

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I like the bottom right best too! It's really beautiful, and IMO, it's the most delicate and elegant of all the settings here...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I realize I never really thought what sides would work with the regent?
read.gif

Now is the time... Regent X rounds
5.gif
, Regent X pears
1.gif
, Regent X trills
6.gif
, Regent X moons
8.gif
, Regent X with ovals
sad.gif

I guess most shapes get mixed-but-positive emotions, aside ovals and moons which seem out of place to me. I would say no to rounds (for fear of confusion, I would be afraid that the praised square ness of the Regent would melt away near them)- but your will be blue, so they are in.

My favorite setting is the center top row. It is the style which, in my view, most resembles an "antique" piece: the others do have a strong modern flair - I would not expect a Victorian piece in those shapes, really. Also, the outline of the four prongs (and being four will be good, both technically and visually for your square marvel) seems to focus on the centre stone, which, I guess, is a good thing.

Second, but at a distance, comes left-bottom row. I am not crazy about the contrast between the polished and engraved metal on it, and the look (cool as is) is modern all day. It was the trillions that made me back off from this second best of mine: the likelihood to find two sparkly sapphires of this shape and size are virtually nil: trills are shallow and sapphire not as reflective as diamond: the side accents will most likely look dull near the fiery centre.

Conclusion: Middle top row!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Pears first then bottom left.

bht122

Rough_Rock
OKay, one last time, (I can't upload the image for some reason-it works in the preview tho)
http://www.dahneandweinstein.com/general/items/images/C4868.jpg
looks similar to the bottom right ring. Since it looks so great with a cushion cut, I'm thinking it'll look great with the rounded curves of a Regent also.

(how do I delete my blank posts?)

bht122

Rough_Rock
Ahah! Got it to work:

C4868.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I like the bottom right...the half moons.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Top middle and bottom right
10.gif

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I love those two shapes together. It's kind of similar to the attached famous diamond.

--I really like pear sidestones too. I don't think you can go wrong either way -- but of those six, my vote is for the bottom right.

Good luck!

graff_cushion_cut.jpg

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Bottom middle for me, for no other reason at it appeals to my sense of aesthetics.

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.gif
? sapphire half moons?

RegentSim.JPG

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria, where did you find that setting, it would be gorgeous!
10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll probably have to get those blues custom cut, but this is a good cause...

PS: do notmistake these for decent renderings. I was merely hoping to leave less to the imagination regarding this nice ring project... Hope I could help.

RegentSimBlue.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caratgirl, that is a picture made up from the image of a regent in seting and the image with the setting with half moons above. Sorry, someone will have to make it real
2.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
The half moons do it for me too. I think their shape will enhance a regent the best. Plus, they're more unusual than the other shapes and will make the ring that much more distinctive.

toleong

Rough_Rock
Bottom middle with the pears - gorgeous!
love.gif

2nd Bottom right

Either will look stunning!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to go with the bottom middle with pears. Something about that setting takes my breath away.

2.gif
I also love the one that bht122 posted.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW, Val! You are too talented! Your pic is kewl!
16.gif

I like the bottom middle.
1.gif

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Wow...talk about some good input...thank you very much everyone ('course that doesn't mean stop givin' me feedback though!
21.gif
) Special thanks to valeria101 for the exceptionally cool rendering...very nice!!! It would seem the pears and half-moons are in the lead right now! lol Seriously though...this I think was the first ring I saw with that cut...can anyone fill me in more on that shape (good and bad properties?). Oh yeah...and the middle top row is getting quite the number of votes also!

Knowing I'll have sapphire accent stones...does anyone think additional diamonds on the sides (top-middle, top-right, and bottom-right) would enhance or detract from the center portion of the setting. Given this is my first crack at this, it's hard to visualize how everything comes together in the end. My GF likes the sparkle (yeah...like there's a news flash here! haha) and liked some of the settings we'd looked at with extra stones around the sides.

But of course that was before I found GOG and my sparklin' Regent!! Given that...not sure if it'll be overkill or not. Well...obviously I'll keep everyone updated on stuff, but I'll leave this up another day...love the feedback I get!

Another thing...platinum vs. white gold... I think all of these (Richard Landi) are platinum and considering none of these styles are a polished smooth surface, didn't think the platinum would be a problem...and might actually work very well for this style of setting. But at the same time I keep hearing about scratches and everything. Again any experts out there I'd welcome some feedback!!

Thanks again and keep it comin'!!!
appl.gif

-SDTinCup

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi SD soory I haven't been around...NICE choice on Regent and sapphire sides...like the setting you chose...but on my compter they came out blurry...I like the idea of the half moon or pears and trilliants...I think additional diamonds on the side would not be tooo much since they are small accents...

I took a look at the landi website...and will try to attach pics of some but I am in the land of sloooow internet connection...really my fiance needs to get up to speed :-0

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is pear sides aka bottom middle
9.gif

pear setting.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
half moon no additional diamonds

oops wrong pic

half moon no dia.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
half moon with additional diamonds

aka bottom right
10.gif

half moon setting.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
wiht trilliants not originally pictured...but like 'bottom left' only not so detailed with more open trilliant setting

trill sides.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Diane, I've been wondering when you'd chime in here!

I think I'm preferring the pear sides over the half moons now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results