shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone''s Done...Let''s Talk Settings...Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
one more I kinda like with 3 marquise in a leaf like design

3 marq side.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
try again half moon no additional diamonds

half moon no dia 2.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
so I am not too sure those are half moon pic not too clear...but the concept is there

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hey Diane!

I hadn't seen that last one you posted, not bad at all I dare say! All the other ones are on my selection list...I think it's about 4 settings I'm considering now. Oooh decisions decisions.... lol

Another thing I need to consider...for all those still tuned in out there! I will definitely want something close to a matching band...not sure if any of these styles bulge out so much that it wouldn't look right. I know two of the choices I'm looking at have matching bands...

Keep'em comin'!!

Thanks!
sdtincup
rodent.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I like the bottom middle setting -- I think that setting would look great with either pears or trillions next to the regent.

My second choice is the bottom right w/ the half moons. The straight edge of the moon would look nice next to the regent.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
My favorite is top middle, but not sure what it would look like with a regent cut. Otherwise bottom middle is my favorite. Bottom Left is my least favorite setting. I love antique settings as well, but not that one, it doesn't offer the delicate/romantic feel that I find to be so wonderful about antiques. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/15/2004 12:31:19 PM sdtincup wrote:

Another thing I need to consider...for all those still tuned in out there! I will definitely want something close to a matching band...not sure if any of these styles bulge out so much that it wouldn't look right. I know two of the choices I'm looking at have matching bands----------------

Correct me if I am wrong: you want a setting with half-moon or pear cut sapphire sides and a "flush" matching band from Richard Landi.
After looking on their site, it sounds like there is NO such thing there at all: most settings (the ones with half moons and trillints for sure) come with the side stones in place, the ones that do not come with matching bands would not accomodate a regular (round) band near them, sice their side contour is not flat (the settings with half moons are out of the Q from this persepctive, the ones with pears would allow the band nearer, but not "flush"). I am not sure wether the settings with pear-shaped sides come with pears with all: but this one thing to ask. All in all, while you have good chances to find round, trilliants or pear shaped sapphires, I doubt half moons are readily available. The size of the center stone is also an issue: some settings may not be available for the size of your diamond. All these are questions for the seller and maker of the rings, and, unfortunately, not only a matter of choice... With four settings in mind, the mere technicalities may make the choice for you.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a set from the landi site...

I suspect that they (or GOG) can make you a band that will work with whatever settin you chose...also they may also custom make the head to match your center stone and side you chose...as Vatche did for me...I picked my sides in the proportion that worked for me...by looking at it next to the center stone unset...then I picked the color I wanted and let GOG do the matching of the sapphires to the color and size i had picked...

set 2 rl.jpg

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hey all!

Alright...moving right along and have narrowed things down even further...actually I think to 2 setting right now, but why stop soliciting the incredible people here at pricescope for opinions?!
21.gif

Hi valeria101...you're right, Landi doesn't have anything with either pears or half-moons that have matching bands NOR do they look like a standard band would sit flush against the eg. ring. Since this is something I know we'll want to get (either just a band or a band and guard), that's helping take those 2 rings out of the running.

Okay...so below is the final four as it were that I'm considering. An earlier post mentioned how the original setting with the trillions might not look ideal due to their flush mounting and after taking a closer look at the half-moon setting that I previously had up (it had a ruby as a center stone), it looks like that ring has a similar flush mounting for the side stones...so I started shying away from that one (even though it did get lots of votes!).

So out of the ones below I'm leaning towards the top 2 (with the top right ring leading right now
1.gif
It's round without any significant contour changes on the sides (virtually none actually) which would allow me and mine to have more choices when it comes to bands. Right behind that is the top right with the Lande matching band...looks just too cool! I've also included the pear and a different half-moon setting that I liked (the pears won the voting by the way). Other than the bank issue, I like that the top two have some small, additional accent stones on the sides...nothing too grand, but enough for that extra bit of sparkle.

Anyway...that's my story...again I welcome the input and some more voting. I must sincerely thank everyone for all their help and attention, couldn't do it without you!!! Even though ultimately it's up to me, I appreciate the help and direction I'm getting...as there's inevitably things I'll miss or won't consider...bein' a newbie and all!!
9.gif

As before...keep 'em comin'!!! Oh yes...if you are out there valeria...can any/all of these pics be rendered like you did the other one? Just curious.

Thanks again all!!!
sdtincup
rodent.gif

combo2.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is another pic of the current top right choice (formerly top middle)...only problem is that the prongs are tooo big and too squared...they need to be more like the set I posted earlier...with the sapphire center stone...actually I kinda like that one...it has a really nice matching band...

I like top left better better pronage...\

I also like pears and half moons...best...you can get a band for them...I am sure they can make one or adapt one...

ldr558 top right.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of the current top left (former top right)

ldr291 top left.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of the band for the current top left

wbl291 top left band.jpg

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hi Diane!

I love the pears and half-moons too! One of the things I'm trying to consider (other than the band thing) is having additional accents on the sides (which I know the other two rings I posted don't have). Too many decisions! lol The top two have to me have a more antique look/feel to them also...very important to the future mrs.! haha I wonder is they can adjust the prongs at all on that one (top right) to make them a little more rounded/subtle. I'm hoping to make a decision by next week...I need to get with GOG after I've got it really narrowed down to start finding out what can be done, etc.

21.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, out of the new choices, I like the right top. I am sure that you could get the prongs to be more delicate. I like the fact that you can have a straight band next to it, and I like the melee diamonds for accent. Also, round matching sapphires should be very easy to find in a good color.
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Still like the pears. Adds a touch of modern w/ the old school style ring.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I concur F&I, I like the pears still, as well.

win

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I also still prefer the pears but I'd like to see them once Valeria has colored them in.

I'm waiting for my 3 stone ring which is being made...I went with the round diamond and round sapphires on the sides, but in this antique looking setting, I prefer the pear sides.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I still like the pears too. Your current favorite on the top right is very pretty as it is, with a round center stone, but the round side stones may not look good next to a regent center stone. Have you seen how the combo will look with a regent center?

sdtincup

Rough_Rock
Hi Kay,

Actually no...I haven't seen how it would look...I'm hopeful that a regent next to a round sapphire would be distinct enough that they would look good, but of course unless you're able to really "see it" it's kind of hard to imagine. I too am hoping Valeria could work some magic with those picks and give an idea what they might be like! One thing I do like about the pears is that from the picture it would appear that the band is fairly round and might be okay with a round guard band...but again it's just a pic! lol Between these four it's very hard to decide, each one is great and realistically any of them my GF would just go ga-ga over!!!

Thanks,
sdtincup
rodent.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Check out Diane's avatar to see how a regent looks with round sapphires on the sides. Hers is gorgeous!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of my Regent with round side stones...my avatar is a wee bit quished....

my ering done face on.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he!

Top right, hands down!

assuming their center stone has about 7mm diameter, those prongs should be about 2mm = small. Also, I like the idea that their triangular shape and corner position will outline the squareness of the regent against the round sides. It looks like this setting may come without the side rounds ('cause they are rather large and prong, not bezel set) which will alow for your sapphires to slip in. And yes, I would bet that a band will sit nicely flush wit this.

Edited: Rendering... did not really work. I do not have a regent pic mtching the angle of that setting. The ons generated by Gem Adviser work somewhat, but when shrung get distorted into something very round. I got a version like this, but it is not ok enough for posting (PS maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results