shape
carat
color
clarity

stone search...again

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so many of you know that I'm working on having a ring made for my graduation in December. Based on your suggestions, I went on a blue spinel hunt. I've bought and returned an asscher set, and now I have a cobalt spinel in hand that I think I will probably be returning. It has beautiful blue flashes, but it is so dark overall that I'm scared to see it set. And I know you guys don't recommend talking yourself into a stone, and that's what I find myself doing.

I've already spoken with Julia about this project, and we've set a tentative start date of September, so I have a little time to find a stone. But I'm really feeling pressure.

I really like precision cuts but am willing to go "native" if the cut is really good. I wanted a medium blue stone, but I'm willing to expand from there at this point, I think. I don't want sapphire or pink, and I think I will enjoy it less if it's orange. Also, I love green a lot, but I think I'd like to change it up. I will consider a green modifier, though. This will be an everyday wear ring, but I take my rings off when doing chores and such, so I will consider a softer stone as long as it's not too, too soft.

I hate not finding what I want! I don't want to talk myself into anything and then not enjoy it as much.
39.gif
Oh, and my stone budget is around $450, and I contacted most of the popular vendors last month.

ETA - I'm wanting a stone around 6mm+. And I've seen some chrysoberyls that seemed almost gold in the picture. Do they look that way in person? Because that could be a good possibility, too.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
have you considered tourmaline? It is a little softer, but not bad, and comes in some really amazing colors. If you like purple, sapphires in green and purple tend to be much cheaper than other colors. If you do decide to go green, there are some great garnets as well.
Is there a particular cut or shape you are looking at?
We may be better able to help you if we know what you are looking for. Your stone is out there, now you just have to find it.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty open at this point. I have started looking around at tourmalines. I''m just so indecisive. I wish something would just bite me and tell me to buy it, lol.

I''m also giving myself the weekend to decide for sure about the cobalt spinel I have right now. It was very overcast yesterday, and the stone looked much different today in the sunlight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2010 11:28:00 PM
Author: lavatea
I'm pretty open at this point. I have started looking around at tourmalines. I'm just so indecisive. I wish something would just bite me and tell me to buy it, lol.

I'm also giving myself the weekend to decide for sure about the cobalt spinel I have right now. It was very overcast yesterday, and the stone looked much different today in the sunlight.

When you bought it, was it sold as "cobalt blue" spinel or "cobalt" spinel? Many dealers state "cobalt blue" to make it seem that the gem is blue like some of the fine cobalt bearing spinels out there, which are very rare. A lab report would be needed to identify the stone as a true cobalt bearing gem. Unfortunatley, 99% of these "cobalt blue" spinels do not truly contain cobalt, and are just regular blue spinels. Blue spinels are one of the most difficult gems to buy in a nice saturated blue color, and the vendor photos tend to make them look much better than IRL. It sounds like your spinel is a typical one, but even among true cobalts, some are better in saturation than others.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t remember how it was branded. I didn''t even know there were cobalt bearing spinels. I just assumed cobalt referred to the color.

I wish Tanzanite wasn''t so soft. I''ve seen blue Tanzanite that''s the perfect color - not that I have the funds for it.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2010 12:12:00 AM
I can''t remember how it was branded. I didn''t even know there were cobalt bearing spinels. I just assumed cobalt referred to the color.

I wish Tanzanite wasn''t so soft. I''ve seen blue Tanzanite that''s the perfect color - not that I have the funds for it.
If you have a picture, I bet we can ind something in the same color that will work.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't give up! Can you give us a color sample of what you're looking for?

Also, I know tanzanite is soft, but julia's bezeled them before so if that's really what your heart wants I say go for it! It won't be a ring to do the dishes in, and it'll accumulate scratches more easily and probably not going to survive as an heirloom. But I think you could still love and enjoy it! I kind of regret setting my tanzanite into a pendant instead of a ring, I know it's soft with pointy edges but I think I would have enjoyed it more personally. (Although I do get more compliments on it as a pendant!)

Here's my 6mm blue spinel, it's kind of similar to my tanzanite.
375x375.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
You really lucked out on snagging that stone. Nice blue spinel is really really difficult to find, and most are very greyish and dark. I'm not trying to tell the OP that she will never find one, but from my experience, and my friend who collects them, it's very difficult to find a decent blue spinel, and when you do see one for sale, it is gone in a heartbeat. I mean, every time Barry lists a stone like that, it is gone in a nanosecond. I hope he gets more in. If she needs something right away, she should open her options a bit.

As for tanzanite, it is a real shame that it's so soft, because it's such a pretty blue violet color.

Three out of the last four stones I returned were blue spinels.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for blue spinels, I feel the OP's pain. Here's one I returned next to a hot pink spinel (which you can find more of in nice colors!!), it looks like it has nice blue flashes, but that was only in the sun. Indoors, it went very extinct, and in the video, it appeared to be a medium tone!! It was returned, which was a shame because it had very nice cutting, and I had high hopes for it from the vendor video/photo.

TLspinelsinsunovals.jpg

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll try to take some pictures of the spinel this weekend. Not sure if I''ll get a chance, though. Under flourescents it has a purple-tinged blue sparkle, but you have to be right under the lights. It looks a lot like yours, MTG, but only if it''s straight out in the sun. I''m just on the fence as to whether the beautiful color you see in the lights is compensation for how dark it is overall.

Ok, here is a tanzanite from swala that''s the perfect color, although I''m starting to learn to buy stones that are just a shade lighter than the color you actually want b/c the vendor photos almost always make them look lighter than they are.

therightcolortanzanite.jpg

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
And I would be happy with just about any color blue, as long as it doesn't resemble blue topaz too much. I wear a James Avery Meridian ring everyday right now, and I want this one to be a different color from that.

MTG, who did you buy your spinel from?

ETA - What do you guys think of this spinel from Dan? It's sold, but he said he thought he might have more rough. It's a little smaller than I wanted, but what will this color look like in real life?

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 10:55:02 AM
Author:lavatea
ETA - I''m wanting a stone around 6mm+. And I''ve seen some chrysoberyls that seemed almost gold in the picture. Do they look that way in person? Because that could be a good possibility, too.

Here is a 9.5mm round chrysoberyl from Barry that''s just in your budget. He describes it as "very slightly orangey yellow color and some orangey flash" so this might work for you. http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=46&idproduct=1271. He also has a couple of large aquas on this page.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
That chrysoberyl looks interesting, thanks.

I know I said I didn''t really want straight-up green, but what do you think of this merelani (bottom center)? What do you think it will look like IRL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2010 9:47:06 AM
And I would be happy with just about any color blue, as long as it doesn''t resemble blue topaz too much. I wear a James Avery Meridian ring everyday right now, and I want this one to be a different color from that.

MTG, who did you buy your spinel from?

ETA - What do you guys think of this spinel from Dan? It''s sold, but he said he thought he might have more rough. It''s a little smaller than I wanted, but what will this color look like in real life?

Dan''s spinel seems to melt into the background. Did you ask him how the color changes in natural, incandescent, and fluorescent lighting? Did you ask him how dark it was, and if it has a lot of grey?

MTG got her spinel from Barry at acstones.com.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2010 9:14:16 PM
That chrysoberyl looks interesting, thanks.

I know I said I didn''t really want straight-up green, but what do you think of this merelani (bottom center)? What do you think it will look like IRL?

I don''t consider that a merelani mint color, but more of a yellowish green color, which some people find attractive. I think minty colors should have a touch of blue in them. It is cut nice, and if you don''t mind the yellow secondary color, it''s a pretty gem.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I saw a nice blue spinel sold on the same website where Bob Kast sells his stones. It does not come from him, but if you google Bob Kast, it brings you to his website from which you can get onto website where he sells his stones. Check gemstones, it was there yesterday.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at the site of the cutter TL recommended in the "garnet recut" thread, Jerry Newman. He has quite a few stones for sale that might be of interest to you.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!!

I was looking at that spinel that you told me about, crasru, and it looks like it might work. Can anyone tell me if they think it would be too dark to bezel set?
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you hard on your jewelry? I think if you are careful a tanzanite would be fine in a ring. I''ve had one for about 8 years and while I don''t wear it a lot it is fine. I agree; the color of tanzanite is great. Spinel are very pretty too.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I think my problem is that I''m very indecisive and very inexperienced buying gemstones. Add those two things together, and I''m having a very hard time making any kind of decision. I want this ring to be something nice that I won''t look at in two years and go, "ugh".

I carried around the spinel today and am wondering again if I should keep it. I''m going to post a thread about it so you guys can give me honest opinions. Thanks for all your patience and suggestions.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, back to hunting. I really like the chrysoberyl that karpouzi linked, but I''m afraid it may be just a little on the large side for me. What do you guys think of Barry''s other chrysoberyls? They look very golden in the pictures. Will they look that way in real life? I''ve been following that other chrysoberyl thread and his pictures don''t make the stones look bright and neon yellow like in that thread.

I''ve also been looking all over for stones of pretty much any color to jump out at me. I really like asscher cuts, so many of these stones are asschers. Honest opinions, please.

I''m interested in this citrine and also this one. Do you think the second one has color zoning or is it just the picture?

What about this tourmaline?

Do you think a gold bezel setting would bring out the color in this tourmaline?

Here''s a cushion cut tourmaline.

There are a couple more that I''m waiting to hear prices on. As always, thanks for your help!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
There is a lovely Tanzanite and some spinels here:

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I saw that blue spinel yesterday. What is your opinion of it? I'm nervous about buying another one because of the too dark issue.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The blue spinel looks interesting at least. Hard to tell with the reflected light coming off the table facet and the angle. There does look to me a nice and strong blue color. May be worth asking him some questions and getting more photos. It is nicely cut and a real good size!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I''m loving this star sapphire, from Gem Trader. It''s a little over your budget, but I would set it in silver for now, then upgrade when you have some extra money (if you like it, obviously).

It''s too small for me, so I''m hoping to live vicariously when someone else buys it.
26.gif

June10LSSapphireVI.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that star is awesome too.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I think that star sapphire is gorgeous
30.gif
I would love to buy it but I''m trying to stay focused on a couple of ring projects! Hope somebody gets it soon
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2010 10:06:33 AM
Ok, back to hunting. I really like the chrysoberyl that karpouzi linked, but I'm afraid it may be just a little on the large side for me. What do you guys think of Barry's other chrysoberyls? They look very golden in the pictures. Will they look that way in real life? I've been following that other chrysoberyl thread and his pictures don't make the stones look bright and neon yellow like in that thread.

I've also been looking all over for stones of pretty much any color to jump out at me. I really like asscher cuts, so many of these stones are asschers. Honest opinions, please.

I'm interested in this citrine and also this one. Do you think the second one has color zoning or is it just the picture?

Here's a cushion cut tourmaline.

There are a couple more that I'm waiting to hear prices on. As always, thanks for your help!
I prefer the two mint tourmalines. I refuse to buy citrine because so many are synthesized or enhanced, and/or they always seem brownish like those two do. I don't like the brownish asscher tourmaline, I don't think any amount of yellow gold can help that stone, it looks rather sickly to me.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 10:06:33 AM
Ok, back to hunting. I really like the chrysoberyl that karpouzi linked, but I''m afraid it may be just a little on the large side for me. What do you guys think of Barry''s other chrysoberyls? They look very golden in the pictures. Will they look that way in real life? I''ve been following that other chrysoberyl thread and his pictures don''t make the stones look bright and neon yellow like in that thread.

I''ve also been looking all over for stones of pretty much any color to jump out at me. I really like asscher cuts, so many of these stones are asschers. Honest opinions, please.

I''m interested in this citrine and also this one. Do you think the second one has color zoning or is it just the picture?

Here''s a cushion cut tourmaline.

There are a couple more that I''m waiting to hear prices on. As always, thanks for your help!
If I could possibly afford anything jewelry related, I might have to steal that first tourmaline from you. It would look so amazing in yellow gold. Sigh.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Of the group, I prefer the cushion cut blueish green tourmaline. For what it is worth, lavatea, your preferred color blue is one of the most coveted – hence, relatively pricey – of all blue gemstone colors. You''ve got good taste, LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results