carat
color
clarity

Stone replaced in new ring?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, :wavey:

I know we've all heard these queries before but I need to know if I'm going mad or not before I say something to her...
I got a lovely EC Tsavorite set by my local jeweller - she sends it away to a bench elsewhere.

First my original stone - eye clean emerald cut, no inclusions. Measured 6mm x 5.5mm
1..jpg 2.jpg
I get the ring back yesterday but didn't examine it closely with a loupe this morning. The measurements are different - smaller 5x4mm. It suddenly has two large inclusions inside and most importantly - IT'S CARRE CUT! :confused:
3.jpg 4.jpg

I am truly baffled but the fact patterns are just NOT the same, especially the culet, a clear difference. The table is cut wonky in this one (in fact the whole setting head is set wonky :doh:but that's another story).

I understand that sometime stones get damaged or broken when setting and if she had been upfront about it - fine. In fact she may not even know personally - guessing the bench broke it & swapped it out hoping neither of us would notice!
This cost me nearly a weeks pay so not a triffling matter. :cry2:

What do you think - are they different stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely looks like a different stone!! The top stone is a true emerald cut, and the set stone is a carre cut as you stated.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
:doh:I hope you will get this resolved immediately!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the heck??? It definitely looks like a different stone!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spoke to her, she wouldn't admit fault but tried to tell me the new one was a "better stone". I politely disagreed and asked her to discuss it with her bench to find out what really happened. :snooty:

I gave her a print out clearly stating the facts and with close up photos of original & new stone to show the differences. She tried to say the measurements were the same & the clarity was better on the new stone but that simply isn't true. I've had this stone for over a year - I own a 30x loupe & I KNOW my own stones...

She has offered to get a new one recut to same quality perimeters as my original, then show me for approval before resetting. I'll just take the new stone & get it set elsewhere as clearly he cannot be trusted! So frustrating, why can't people just be honest! :wall:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omfg

So they wrecked your stone????

I'm so sorry this happened to you. *huggles*

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait. I'm confused. WHY did they replace your stone??? Did they ruin it? They can't just do that and pretend it never happened. I would threaten them with legal action if they don't give you back your stone and/or reimburse you for the old stone.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe they tried to slide a smaller, more included, and different cut stone on you like you wouldn't notice! On top of the shotty work of the ring :x2. I would demand monetary reimbursement and not trust them to replace with comparable stone. They obviously don't hold your knowledge of your stone and of quality jewelry in high regard. Unbelievable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe they tried to slide a smaller, more included, and different cut stone on you like you wouldn't notice! On top of the shotty work of the ring :x2. I would demand monetary reimbursement and not trust them to replace with comparable stone. They obviously don't hold your knowledge of your stone and of quality jewelry in high regard. Unbelievable.

This. They MUST compensate you for the stone they destroyed (if that's what happened), or give it back to you (if for some insane reason they took it). If not, you will take them to court. That's f-ing insane. You also need to write reviews everywhere, so that others can be warned not to trust such a gross company. And file with BBB if you are in the USA.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you sign something when you originally agreed to have it set? Like something waivering them from responsibility if the stone was damaged?

If no then ask for money to cover what you originally paid for the stone and the setting. Do not let them source you a new stone -- they just proved that they think two completely different stones have the exact same attirbutes (and doubled down to say the included one was more clean instead of acknowledging the shortcomings). Can you imagine what kind of argument you are going to have with them over the new stone they source?

If yes then ask them to return the fragments of your old stone and all the money you paid to have it set. At that stage I would probably leave and give them the review they deserve. However you could also let them try to source you a new stone then leave. Although for the reasons above I think you will be unhappy during this process.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She just called me back. Bench admitted to "chipping" the stone. Said he "thought he had mentioned it to her" and just assumed it was ok to replace with similar one.

I've no idea if she knew about this (& is covering it up) or not but she was very apologetic about it and promised to rectify the situation. No mention of a refund at this stage. Still kept saying replacement was a great stone etc. She is a qualified gemologist so it irks me she is so blase about these things. :angryfire:

I didn't think to ask for the fragments but just called her back & asked how serious the chip was, ie. could we polish it out? Guessing it must be bad if he just replaced the whole thing but worth asking nonetheless.

I will give her the benefit of sourcing a new stone and see if I like it first. If not, I'll demand a refund.
My boss is her landlord and he has said he'll support me legally (I work for a solicitor) if I'm unhappy with the result so I feel comforted by that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demand the original stone back. Replacing it without your knowledge is FRAUD. Plain and simple. You can decide whether you want to get it polished out, etc. But them trying to ignore the mistake and give you a new stone like it never happened is where it is fraud.

I wouldn't give them a chance here bc they already proved they don't have any qualms about lying and covering it up, but of course totally up to you. I'd still go to the BBB, write scathing reviews, etc. Because at this point they've pdoven themselves untrustworthy.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
OMG. I know this kind of thing all too well.
Here's the thing...was it really chipped? Or was it something else...like more valuable and someone wanted it, or was it lost?
If they lied once, who knows if the excuse they're giving you is also a lie.
Considering the setting, if your Tsavo was chipped, wouldn't they have tried to hide that under the bezel? So I really wonder about that..
Maybe I'm going overboard with my concerns, but...in any case, get the old stone back and see with your own eyes what happened.
Really shady way to handle it. Mistakes happen, but it's how we deal with them that makes us reputable or not.
I'm so sorry!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have “gone off” big time:angryfire:
Not because they damaged the gem, it happens, but because they tried to conceal it.
I mean, did they think you are blind? Or Stupid? Or both?
Do they have so little respect for you, the paying customer, the person who makes their business possible that they lie to you?
How insulting, how fraudulent!
That’s theft! They haven’t returned to your gem to you, even if it’s 30 pieces!
That’s fraud, misleading and deceptive behaviour. They have tried to “pass off” a different gemstone and they knew they were giving you a different gemstone.
They were hoping you wouldn’t notice.
:angryfire:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I know this kind of thing all too well.
Here's the thing...was it really chipped? Or was it something else...like more valuable and someone wanted it, or was it lost?
If they lied once, who knows if the excuse they're giving you is also a lie.
Considering the setting, if your Tsavo was chipped, wouldn't they have tried to hide that under the bezel? So I really wonder about that..
Maybe I'm going overboard with my concerns, but...in any case, get the old stone back and see with your own eyes what happened.
Really shady way to handle it. Mistakes happen, but it's how we deal with them that makes us reputable or not.
I'm so sorry!

This is what freaks me out.
Did the bench just love your EC and keep it?
Sadly if you dont get the chipped stone back or evidence of the chipped stone, he could have just kept it.....which that kind of blatant fraud sends shivers down my spine.

Please stand firm- this is not right!
Praying that they come forward fully to rectify the situation, nobody has the right to do this to their customer, let alone imply that the customer is an idiot and wouldnt notice.
Saying That the bench "thought" that he told your jeweler about it is the oldest trick in the book....

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While anything is currently possible I doubt they just kept it.

They're buisness is built on reputation, this reputation is valuable to them. Far mord so than a small tsav. It just doesnt make sense to assume they would compromise this asset for the desire to pocket one small gemstone. Sounds more like they chipped it and freaked out and handled it poorly.

It reminds me of a mistake I often make. I forget the idiom: dont automatically assume malicious intentions when incompentence will surfice. Usually the explanation is incompetence.

However while I dont know enough to properly tell, your 2nd post makes it sound like your jeweler went straight from claiming it was the same stone, to claiming 'the replacement was better, less included etc.'. Without ever having a melt down and panick moment where she realized you might have a point and there may be two different stones. If this is the case then I suspect she knew.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However while I dont know enough to properly tell, your 2nd post makes it sound like your jeweler went straight from claiming it was the same stone, to claiming 'the replacement was better, less included etc.'. Without ever having a melt down and panick moment where she realized you might have a point and there may be two different stones. If this is the case then I suspect she knew.

This part. Her nonchalance must have been frustrating.
Your original stone was much prettier to my eye in your photos.
This sucks for you, I'm sorry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how unethical not to have been upfront with you immediately. I am so sorry. All I know is I would never do business with this person/establishment again. That is inexcusable. Not that they damaged the stone (which sucks) but that they tried to fool you and not say a word. :blackeye: Shame on them.

notok.gif

I hope you reach a happy resolution @GliderPoss

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If possible, I would get them to pay for the loss of the original stone's cost, then take my money elsewhere. I wouldn't trust them to find a replacement stone after what happened, not to mention the terrible benchwork.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With most jewelers you take a risk that a stone could be damaged or broken during setting. But the coverup!?! Terribly unethical and I hope you reach a resolution that makes you happy.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I'm not at all forgiving of this situation ( see prior post), but I DO have to say...
the ring you got back is pretty. try not to be too upset while they resolve this and hopefully get your original back.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How unethical!I'm sorry for you. All this unnecessary negative stress. Hope you can resolve this issue to your satisfaction.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this is so disturbing. I don’t know what the process for something like this is in your country. If it happened to me in the USA, the first thing I would do is file a police report.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I don't think the bench stole my stone, it was quite small so doubt it would be financially & reputation-wise worth it. :eh: Yes it's frustrating but I'll see what she offers as replacement first. Thanks for all your kind words of support.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, just wanted to update you with the outcome. :wavey:

Jeweller returned my original stone, with chip polished off. As far as I can tell - it IS the original but just slightly smaller. She argued my EC measurements were wrong but I didn't care to argue about it any further. I got a full refund and we agreed to part ways amicably. :clap:

voce

Ideal_Rock
:rolleyes:
If your measurements were"wrong" she should have told you before even beginning the work. I call BS!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot believe the audacity of this jeweler. To continue to try to find fault with you over something that doesn't even matter anymore, after doing something unethical and possibly illegal. This person should be ashamed of themselves but obviously they're not. I'm sorry you had to experience this and I'm so glad you were refunded.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, just wanted to update you with the outcome. :wavey:

Jeweller returned my original stone, with chip polished off. As far as I can tell - it IS the original but just slightly smaller. She argued my EC measurements were wrong but I didn't care to argue about it any further. I got a full refund and we agreed to part ways amicably. :clap:
As far as I’m concerned, she lucked out not having to replace your stone. I would leave her a nasty review if you can. Her original deception of putting in another stone, and then blaming you for wrong EC measurements warrant it. What a terrible vendor.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope you post reviews of this vendor and name them here so it shows up in search. They lied to you about switching out your stone, and tried to gaslight you about polishing out the damage that they caused. At the very least, what they did is highly unethical and they don’t deserve to have this swept under the rug.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results