carat
color
clarity

Steve Bannon named chief strategist to the president

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1479156274|4098382 said:
Matata|1479155803|4098378 said:
I wonder what the tipping point will be, when the reigning Republicans in government who sold their souls for their beliefs realize they have been betrayed and I wonder how they will attempt their retribution.

No idea, but the fact that I believe it will happen is at least a (cold) comfort.

You are worried about the evil that may happen?

But what about the evil that is happening right now?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479155257|4098369 said:
Yes, just shove it off that blacks beat a white supporter. People are having bottles thrown at their car. People's cars are being hijacked.
News crews are being attacked. Businesses are being destroyed

I'm really confused by this statement. When did anyone say that only white people are being violent?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1479155360|4098373 said:
Here is another jewel that Trump is considering (he has not been confirmed yet to my knowledge). Of course this guy is no Steve Bannon, but still...

Link:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/11/14/donald_trump_could_undo_obama_s_big_hud_initiative_in_desegregation.html

Just a small clip, you can read the full article at the link.

Trump’s Rumored Housing Secretary Is Best Known for Keeping His County Segregated

For a certain type of conservative, one of the great outrages of the Obama era was an obscure 2015 rule from the Department of Housing and Urban Development called “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing.”

AFFH was more interesting than its name. It was the Obama administration’s attempt to battle neighborhood segregation, the inequities of which are the invisible foundation of American crises like the racial wealth gap and disparity in public education.

How will Donald Trump approach that legacy? There are rumors that Trump’s choice for HUD secretary might be Westchester County, New York, executive Rob Astorino, a Republican who has made his career fighting against integration in Westchester and would almost certainly undo HUD’s enhanced scrutiny of racial discrimination in housing.

When HUD put pressure on Westchester last year to build more affordable housing—and not just in Westchester’s poorest corners—Astorino said the agency was engaging in “social engineering.” What’s next, he asked: Is the federal government going to break up Chinatown?

My brother is retiring after a long career at HUD (Housing and Urban Development) in early January, before Trump is inaugurated. His decision to retire was made long before Trump was elected. He has said several times that every day he must pass a picture of President Obama; Vice-president Biden; and the Secretary of H.U.D on the way into his office. His couldn't bear it if he had to pass by Trump and his team. (Back when Andrew Cuomo was HUD Secretary my brother was unhappy because he was such a sourpuss!)

AGBF

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479156504|4098386 said:

Ruby,
Nobody seems to want to answer our questions. Again, I ask:

Why has President Obama not addressed this? Did he and I missed this?
Why has our Senators not addressed this?
Why have none of our politicians / representatives denounced the violence or taken action to defuse and calm this?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1479156603|4098388 said:
Yes, just shove it off that blacks beat a white supporter. People are having bottles thrown at their car. People's cars are being hijacked.

I'm really confused by this statement. When did anyone say that only white people are being violent?

And where did one person denounce the fact that an older white man was attacked by blacks simply for because of his vote.

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

Absolutely disgusting, but not a peep out of any of you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479156800|4098393 said:
lovedogs|1479156603|4098388 said:

And where did one person denounce the fact that a white man was attacked by blacks simply for because of his vote.

Is that a question? Or a statement? I honestly don't know of any thread talking about the race of protesters/people being violent during said protests. I am trying to understand what you are saying here, but so far I am still confused.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1479156691|4098390 said:

Ruby,

Why have none of our politicians / representatives denounced the violence or taken action to defuse and calm this?

Totally valid question, and I just tried to look up info on it. From what I can tell, Obama and Clinton were "unifying" in their speeches about Trump, and talked about the need to come together, but I haven't seen any formal denouncing of it. Here's an article about it that I just found.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/14/republicans-call-clinton-obama-reel-professional-a/

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Look one post up at the link I just posted.

But considering some of you can find outdated, if even factual, about the 1950s I am surprised no one else came across it either.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
OMFG. Peace guys, I'm out. Sorry, not going to devolve into arguing semantics about racism with people who see nothing wrong with a Steve Bannon White House appointment. Because that's just frankly absurd.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And where did one person denounce the fact that an older white man was attacked by blacks simply for because of his vote.

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

Ruby, this was *apparently* over a traffic violation.

http://www.snopes.com/black-mob-beats-white-man-for-voting-trump/

So they didn't beat him BECAUSE of his vote. It also seems like its the bystanders who are the ones saying he voted for Trump.

eta - Not that this makes it any better. It just is pointless in this conversation.
But again, the media does a good job of spinning it to make us believe what they want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1479157089|4098397 said:
Chrono|1479156691|4098390 said:

Ruby,

Totally valid question, and I just tried to look up info on it. From what I can tell, Obama and Clinton were "unifying" in their speeches about Trump, and talked about the need to come together, but I haven't seen any formal denouncing of it. Here's an article about it that I just found.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/14/republicans-call-clinton-obama-reel-professional-a/

Exactly! I don't think I have seen any formal denouncement of this violence. At this point, the finger pointing has to stop (the blame game can happen later and doesn't benefit anyone right now) and somebody at the top needs to take the reins and put a hard stop to this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BECAUSE IT IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. BECAUSE SOME OF US DO NOT WANT TO ADDRESS OFF-TOPIC PIVOTS EACH AND EVERY TIME THEY OCCUR. BECAUSE SOME OF US WANT TO TALK ONLY ABOUT THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1479157774|4098408 said:

BECAUSE IT IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. BECAUSE SOME OF US DO NOT WANT TO ADDRESS OFF-TOPIC PIVOTS EACH AND EVERY TIME THEY OCCUR. BECAUSE SOME OF US WANT TO TALK ONLY ABOUT THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD.

The topic is about appointing these people and the violence that will happen to minorities. And that people on the other side do not seem to get it.

And the so called pivot is about the violence happening right now. And the fact that no one seems to be getting that either.

Oh, and you do not have to shout at me. I am not that old.

I did not realize this was an MSNBC type of board.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479157090|4098398 said:

But considering some of you can find outdated, if even factual, about the 1950s I am surprised no one else came across it either.

Well no wonder I didn't come across it. It's on infowars, which is literally the ramblings of a man who believes insane conspiracies.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1479157774|4098408 said:

Whoa! How is ruby's question not relevant to subject of the thread? White supremacist/Supremacy. She's not condoning it, none of us are.
So by pointing out something racial, that is pivoting the conversation? How?

E B

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1479158137|4098412 said:

MSNBC is left-leaning.

The guy behind InfoWars believes the massacre at Sandy Hook was fake. And that's just one of his literally insane conspiracy theories.

Again, not at all "equal."

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1479158405|4098418 said:
ruby59|1479158137|4098412 said:

MSNBC is left-leaning.

The guy behind InfoWars believes the massacre at Sandy Hook was fake. And that's just one of his literally insane conspiracy theories.

Again, not at all "equal."

Exactly. He literally believes every ridiculous conspiracy you can think of.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1479158242|4098414 said:
ruby59|1479157090|4098398 said:

Well no wonder I didn't come across it. It's on infowars, which is literally the ramblings of a man who believes insane conspiracies.

Google and then pick from one of the many other sites reporting it if that will make it more real for you.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby, did you not see my post in reply to you?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion what annoyed Matata was probably not the "pivot" (pivots can be very entertaining), but the demands for an answer. Sorry if I am out of line for speaking for you, Matata.

Deb

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1479159181|4098432 said:
In my opinion what annoyed Matata was probably not the "pivot" (pivots can be very entertaining), but the demands for an answer. Sorry if I am out of line for speaking for you, Matata.

Deb

You are correct.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1479158755|4098424 said:

I did.

Are you saying it was over a traffic accident. Maybe what started it. But there was obviously more to it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479159272|4098434 said:

I did.

Are you saying it was over a traffic accident. Maybe what started it. But there was obviously more to it.
Yes. There was a car accident, and some folks decided to beat the shit of another person. Not cool. But to say he was targeted because of his vote is not correct. He was not beaten because he is a trump supporter. In fact, they didn't even know that he was, bystanders just started shouting that.
If you want to post random unrelated things, that's fine, but they should at least be truthful.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1479159377|4098437 said:

I did.

Yes. There was a car accident, and some folks decided to beat the shit of another person. Not cool. But to say he was targeted because of his vote is not correct. He was not beaten because he is a trump supporter. In fact, they didn't even know that he was, bystanders just started shouting that.
If you want to post random unrelated things, that's fine, but they should at least be truthful.

OK, then why did bystanders shout it?

Maybe because he was an older, white man, Trump's supposed base?

Did they profile him because of his color and gender?

Would they have assumed that if he were black or Latino?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479159476|4098439 said:

I did.

Yeah, probably.
As a previous poster said, older white males are *generally* not fearing for their life. I would doubt a one off incident would change hundreds of years of white privilege.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO.. Trump's behavior is responsible for these protests because of this divisive rhetoric and inflammatory behavior during his campaign. Words and behaviors have consequences and I personally believe that people wouldn't be so upset about his winning if he had not been behaving in this manner. He, nor any of his surrogates, as far as I know, did not comment on the riots, besides Kellyanne Conway saying Obama and Hillary need to deal with it. It was not until he was asked by Stahl about it during the 60 minutes interview, that he expressed surprise at the amount of protests going on, said that they were "professional" protestors and then said "Stop it". I was bothered by the fact that he said people were scared because we don't really know him. Right now, we only know what he said and did during his campaign. He needs to take some responsibility. and I personally think that's what should happen. I believe that Obama did say after the election that people need to accept what has happened. DJT needs to start leading if he wants to be the president of all of us.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479159476|4098439 said:
I did.

Did they profile him because of his color and gender?

Yes, someone got beaten up, which is really bad. But no, this had nothing to do with politics, this had to do with a car accident, just like telephone said. They had no idea if he was a Trump supporter or not. My guess is that people are super upset lately because of the election, have road rage, and saw someone beating up someone else and decided to yell about Trump. Violence is TERRIBLE, and of course everything in the video is sad and disappointing. I think the people responsible should answer for it, and should be charged with assault/battery.

But I am confused about why you think this has to do with the original topic of the thread, which is that a white supremacist has been named the chief strategist to the president.

I don't think anyone is upset that you think this is wrong, I think they are upset because they don't see the connection and your demand for "answers" seems as though you think that this instance of violence somehow "makes up for" the white supremacist being appointed.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1479159181|4098432 said:

Deb

Demand for an answer? Hardly.

Just an acknowledgement of the current situation.

That violence is violence, and there is never an excuse for it.

And if it happens to just one white guy - Oh, well. It is just pay back for that privileged life he must have had.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Won't someone PLEASE think of the older white guys?

There is literally no argument in the world that you can't point to an example that backs up your POV. Sometimes we have to look at a situation generally. And generally these riots are the result of people who will not accept Trump's efforts to whitewash our country and culture. Millions of people around the world seem to have been able to figure out ways to avoid living that way sensibly, but I guess we like to do things the hard way.

I think our current president does need to step up and offer leadership, but it has to be handled sensitively. How many times has he had to address the nation during tragic public shootings? Race related tragedies? You think Trump is going to somehow handle it with more class?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results