shape
carat
color
clarity

Step-Cuts: Protect the corners & lose sparkle?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm now in the process of designing a ring for my new Asscher. I was always of the school of thought that the corners of step-cuts should be protected by prongs or bezels, but after playing around with my loose stone, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of lovely fire comes off the corners. If by covering them up with prongs, am I losing out on sparke? Obviously the case with bezel set but should I aim for a single claw, or double claw that sits close to the corners but let enough light to dance with the edges? Or am I just imagining things and covering the corners up won't make much difference? Thanks in advance!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have held in my hand Asschers that are well over 100 years old that were in perfect condition being worn in 4 prong heads held on the windmill flats the entire time passing down in a family.

Yes the corners are the weakest spot on a step cut girdle but with a reasonable girdle you could probably smash a princess cut into bits with one without a lot of damage(do not try this at home :})

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the bigger bar prongs?

DK :))

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Karl_K and @Garry H (Cut Nut)! I was hoping you'd weigh in :D
I'd rather have minimal metal on the stone and maximise the facets, however small they are.

@dk168 - Do you mean the prongs that run along the corner edge? I did think about it but it's literally the tiny corners that throw some amazing fire to me so I'm thinking of leaving them exposed. My Asscher is only a baby so that edge isn't that big ;)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Karl_K and @Garry H (Cut Nut)! I was hoping you'd weigh in :D
I'd rather have minimal metal on the stone and maximise the facets, however small they are.

@dk168 - Do you mean the prongs that run along the corner edge? I did think about it but it's literally the tiny corners that throw some amazing fire to me so I'm thinking of leaving them exposed. My Asscher is only a baby so that edge isn't that big ;)2

Single claw prongs should protect the corner, but allow light play.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think NSEW prongs would be lovely on an asscher. Do the pros' think that would be a no-no or safe as long as the girdle is not thin?
@Karl_K @Garry H (Cut Nut)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe there's been some recent discussion on the compass set prongs being reflected through the stone in step cuts.

Wouldnt want that!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Wouldnt want that!

I had a look at some NSEW prongs on emerald cuts on Instagram and you can indeed see the prongs reflected. Such a shame as it look good!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think NSEW prongs would be lovely on an asscher. Do the pros' think that would be a no-no or safe as long as the girdle is not thin?
@Karl_K @Garry H (Cut Nut)
I have my Octavia mounted on the side flats.
No reflection and its fine. Its a pendant but I would be ok with a ring that way.
So it depend on the stone. Yes some will reflect the prongs all over the place with them on the flats.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For smaller ECs mounting them rotated just hold it on the narrow ends. problem solved as they do not reflect into the stone as bad as the long side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results