clarity

Starting over: Help finding the right engagement ring

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1403714284|3700883 said:
Aetius|1403709033|3700837 said:
Ya that would be fun :naughty:

She is very traditional in this way ... I call her a Disney princess from time to time (fortunately she doesn't exhibit the rest of the fairytale requirements).
haha Does that mean she will be a traditional wife? ;-)

:tongue:

A traditional wife can whip up batches of Viennese Whirls in her sleep too. :tongue:

Aetius

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - I very much like the rings you linked. The one with the alternating diamonds and sapphires is one I sent as inspiration to the very first jeweler I worked with. Maybe I should go back to basics and stick with that design.

I just didn't like the though of someone else out there with the same thing (hence designing something).

One question - do you think those would sit too high and catch on her gloves? Should I try to have something designed with the same concept, but where the oval is set lower into the ring?

-A

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do think that setting the diamond lower, or maybe in a bezel.

How about this, but with sapphires as the sidestone? VERY glove friendly.

2534_1_image.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1403806807|3701563 said:
Yes, I do think that setting the diamond lower, or maybe in a bezel.

How about this, but with sapphires as the sidestone? VERY glove friendly.

Now that is beautiful... :love: :love:

Aetius

Rough_Rock
Ahhh, now that would probably look nice with the Saps on the sides. I like that quite a bit.

What do you guys think of the engraving around the stone like that? Does it look dated or is that the style? Basically I have zero faith in my own opinion on these matter =P

-A

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aetius|1403811749|3701614 said:
Ahhh, now that would probably look nice with the Saps on the sides. I like that quite a bit.

What do you guys think of the engraving around the stone like that? Does it look dated or is that the style? Basically I have zero faith in my own opinion on these matter =P

-A

OP, didn't know if you were referring to the setting or the stone... or both.

Setting: Personally, I think that setting would look great! Do you know if she's into the "vintage" look? I think it would flatter an oval as well as work well for her lifestyle (sits lower, bezels won't snag)...

Stone: If you like that oval, you'd better put it on hold at JA, because ovals are really hard to find with nice faceting -- a lurker might snatch it up before you get a chance. :shock: I love that oval, and if I had the money, I'd buy it myself! ;))

Aetius

Rough_Rock
Depending the setting that might be more than I'm looking to spend (if the setting plus stones are over $4k).

I've got the option on the stone below for $3,250. It seems like a good deal. I've seen the stone and it looks fine to me, but again, no a expert.

DIAMOND CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style) OVAL BRILLIANT
Carat Weight 1.01 CT
Clarity Grade SI1
Color Grade F
PROPORTIONS
Measurements 8.51 x 5.66 x 3.22 mm
Table 52.1%
Depth 56.9%
Crown Height 14.5%
Crown Angle 32.2°
Pavilion Depth 37.5%
Pavilion Angle 32°
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Culet
OBSERVATIONS
Finish
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aetius|1403811749|3701614 said:

-A

"dated" no. But it is a specific style.

Tell me this.

Do you know if she likes vintage and antique stuff?

Or is she bold modern lines?

Or somewhere in between.

Which of these is more "her" 1 or 2. Or is she neither? Or is she in between.

http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/2014/03/27/RX-HGMAG020_Fixer-Upper-109-a-4x3_lead.jpg
http://prifx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Natural-Blue-and-Brown-Sofa-Color-Sets-withh-Classic-Table-in-Traditional-Living-Room-Design-Ideas.jpg
http://placesinthehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Antique-hbx-watson-livingroom-blue-livingroom-de.jpg

http://therightathome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Black-White-Kitchen-Colours-2013.jpg
http://boldsolutions.net/wp-content/uploads/modern-kitchen.jpg
http://www.hometodecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mid-century-modern-living-room.jpg
http://placesinthehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Antique-hbx-watson-livingroom-blue-livingroom-de.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aetius|1403815676|3701648 said:
Depending the setting that might be more than I'm looking to spend (if the setting plus stones are over $4k).

I've got the option on the stone below for $3,250. It seems like a good deal. I've seen the stone and it looks fine to me, but again, no a expert.

DIAMOND CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style) OVAL BRILLIANT
Carat Weight 1.01 CT
Clarity Grade SI1
Color Grade F
PROPORTIONS
Measurements 8.51 x 5.66 x 3.22 mm
Table 52.1%
Depth 56.9%
Crown Height 14.5%
Crown Angle 32.2°
Pavilion Depth 37.5%
Pavilion Angle 32°
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Culet
OBSERVATIONS
Finish
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD

Ovals can't be bought by numbers. Only LARGE mug shot images and ASETs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1403817317|3701667 said:
Gypsy|1403815528|3701644 said:
msop04|1403810657|3701602 said:
This would look HUGE and it's in budget at $6030, leaving you lots of room for an amazing setting!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.02-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-41512

I'm not liking that one msop, sorry.

Can you post why? It looks just like a larger one I posted several months ago and everyone raved... :confused:

Sure. See below. Green is Mush. Red is bowtie. Orange is obstructed facets at edge.

So under the table you pretty have bow tie and mush only. And then you have the obstructed facets that are going to make this stone dark at both ends.

oval_ja.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now, I could be wrong, but I would guess it would probably ASET out like this one: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11049/ But with blue where those obstructed (orange boxes in my drawing above) facets are at the ends.

So... kinda underwelming.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1403818569|3701673 said:
Sure. See below. Green is Mush. Red is bowtie. Orange is obstructed facets at edge.

So under the table you pretty have bow tie and mush only. And then you have the obstructed facets that are going to make this stone dark at both ends.

Okay, the mush I could see... didn't think the bow-tie was that bad. I thought the obstructed facets on the end were a reflection or something -- but definitely wouldn't want a diamond to be dark. Always good to learn - Thanks. :)) :read: :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1403819127|3701676 said:
Now, I could be wrong, but I would guess it would probably ASET out like this one: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11049/ But with blue where those obstructed (orange boxes in my drawing above) facets are at the ends.

So... kinda underwelming.

Oh wow... :sick: ASETs save the day! :bigsmile:

Aetius

Rough_Rock
I'll see if I can get them to send me a pic of the stone.

Also, your analysis of that stone is impressive. I didn't see any of that ... =/

I looked for an obvious bowtie (like in the antique ring you posted), didn't see any and couldn't see any occlusions. Sheesh

As for her style, I'd say the house picture is her style, but neither of the living rooms looks like what I'd expect. Our kitchen is dark marble countertops with maple. I think it is kind of modern. Sorry guys ... I know what I like and what she typically likes but have never been asked (or wondered) if it is modern or vintage or whatever. :confused:

She doesn't do a lot of loud color. White House, Black Market is her favorite store for clothes. She's not a shoes or purses type of girl ... I typically have to convince her to spend money on anything "nicer" (I grew up in Palm Beach, so I may be a bad influence that way :oops: ).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aetius|1403821241|3701694 said:
I'll see if I can get them to send me a pic of the stone.

Also, your analysis of that stone is impressive. I didn't see any of that ... =/

I looked for an obvious bowtie (like in the antique ring you posted), didn't see any and couldn't see any occlusions. Sheesh

As for her style, I'd say the house picture is her style, but neither of the living rooms looks like what I'd expect. Our kitchen is dark marble countertops with maple. I think it is kind of modern. Sorry guys ... I know what I like and what she typically likes but have never been asked (or wondered) if it is modern or vintage or whatever. :confused:

She doesn't do a lot of loud color. White House, Black Market is her favorite store for clothes. She's not a shoes or purses type of girl ... I typically have to convince her to spend money on anything "nicer" (I grew up in Palm Beach, so I may be a bad influence that way :oops: ).

Sounds to me like she'd go for more classic, clean lines and not a lot of "fuss" (no engraving, pave, or milgrain)...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. Then I think something sleeker will be good.

To me is sounds like she likes classic lines and sleek designs etc.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones-/marquise-and-round-18k-white-gold-5443w18 With the little round stones in the shank being sapphires would be lovely for her. And it's set nice and low. And it would look FANTASTIC with an oval.

Alternately, have them use this design as the shank and add a nice low head to it for the stone, with blue sapphires (they have a blue one posted) : http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/marquise-and-round-band-14k-white-gold-5467w14 But only 3/4 eternity so it is sizable.

BGD makes FABULOUS quality settings. And if you want to do it all in one place Brian has a great eye for fancies and can find you a killer oval.

Aetius

Rough_Rock
Oh, those would indeed look nice. I agree that I think she's the type that likes less of the little detailed metalwork.

I like the one with the alternating rounds and ovals in the band. I sent these over to a custom jeweler I was working with ... we'll see what he comes back with for a design. This is the same guy who disappeared on me before, so if I don't like what I get back, or hear back pretty quick/regularly, I guess i'll go with a web vendor.

I had just been told by people I trust (ie people not trying to sell me anything) that I should see the stuff first ... so a bit paranoid there.

-A

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
Aetius|1403876530|3702028 said:
Oh, those would indeed look nice. I agree that I think she's the type that likes less of the little detailed metalwork.

I like the one with the alternating rounds and ovals in the band. I sent these over to a custom jeweler I was working with ... we'll see what he comes back with for a design. This is the same guy who disappeared on me before, so if I don't like what I get back, or hear back pretty quick/regularly, I guess i'll go with a web vendor.

I had just been told by people I trust (ie people not trying to sell me anything) that I should see the stuff first ... so a bit paranoid there.

-A

Which people told you this? Diamond experts? I too have been told I have to see the stuff first, but then I see some of the completed rings on here that were purchased online and my mind has been changed

E B

Ideal_Rock
The vendors here are highly recommended for a reason, but if you feel most comfortable seeing before buying, Ritani (http://www.ritani.com/) has a lot of options if you're in or near a large-ish city. They'll call in the diamond and settings for you to see in person, no obligation (according to their website, check with the local store they list as their retailer).

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-ri...ice=8240&sorting=Price:+low+to+high&showAll=1

See if that link works. It should show you the settings they have for ovals.

This oval looks like it'd be pretty bright:

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/oval-diamond-0-96-Carat-E-color-GIA-certified/D-GM1SYQ

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Aetius|1403876530|3702028 said:

-A

I can understand the desire to see things first, especially settings. With that said, I think that having a micro pic and ASET of a stone is better than ONLY seeing a stone in person. Everything looks sparkly to the untrained eye so you really need ASETs and close up pics to aid your search (that is if you want the best performing of diamonds).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we aren't trying to sell you anything either. We don't get any kind of kick back in any way shape or form on this forum. Not even discounts. Or referral fees.

We are just trying to help you find the best deal and the nicest diamond, and we relay our experiences to you with vendors we've worked with in the past, because well... we're jewelry addicts. I mean you may buy 2 or 3 items over your lifetime. We have members that buy that many pieces in a month. So we want to give you the benefit of that experience.

I personally have done 4 transactions just with BGD. So I know of their setting quality. And I have worked with some of the best appraisers in the country afterward, and know that my pieces from BGD have been top notch. Which is why I recommended them for settings.

As for the lovely oval I recommended to you. I help people find ovals here weekly. And I know what to look for. JA has a 60 day no questions asked return policy. So you can see the stone in person and make a choice, and even get it appraised in that time locally (at a good INDEPENDENT appraiser that isn't going to lie to you so return it and buy from them). And you can check their BBB record, and they are a Google Trusted Store.

Where are you located? Maybe we can suggest a good local place to you? :wavey:

Aetius

Rough_Rock
Heya guys,

Nope - definitely not meaning to imply that you guys stand to gain anything from my purchase, just that i'm trying to balance what I learn here with what I learn through other sources. I have a friend who used to be in the industry who has been my best source of information before coming here.

I live in Omaha, Nebraska. There are quite a few jewelers here, but I've gone to a few of the better-known/more prestigious ones and have found their service to be poor (as noted above).

I'm letting the guy who disappeared (and has since shown back up) take another crack at coming up with something that "wow"s me. We'll see in the next few days. Otherwise I'll go ahead and try one of the ones you guys are recommending. There is definitely a fear-factor there though. If I cant look someone in the eye, there is no way to tell if they really are who they say they are and not a subcontractor doing the cheap work for a bigger name.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy, hope you see this, sorry to threadjack, can you share the setting info? Since you posted that oval ring, I can't get it out of my mind, I love it! I've been thinking mrb, but now I'm thinking oval! I have time to figure out if it's just a flight of fancy or a clear new direction. TIA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
luvdajules|1404161107|3703961 said:
Hi Gypsy, hope you see this, sorry to threadjack, can you share the setting info? Since you posted that oval ring, I can't get it out of my mind, I love it! I've been thinking mrb, but now I'm thinking oval! I have time to figure out if it's just a flight of fancy or a clear new direction. TIA.

this one???
2534_1_image.jpg

It's from Knox jewelers in MN. But they don't take outside stones. And I don't believe they do ASETs for fancies. So I personally wouldn't buy an oval from them without an ASET. I'd have something similar made by another jeweler, personally. http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/products/design-2836 You could keep the head on shot the same, and change the profile enough so that it would meet the 20% rule if you wanted to go the custom route.

Beverly K also has this: http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/beverley-k/products/beverley-k-oval-shaped-art-deco-diamond-engagement-ring Which is similar and I think I would ADORE with an oval in it.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy, yes, that was the one! Thank you for the info. Gorgeous inspiration ring and great suggestions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results