shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Ruby Ring

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I am interested in purchasing a larger ruby ring and since a 4-5 carat ruby is out of the budget for now, I've been looking at star rubies and cabochons.

Can anyone give advice on the ruby in this ring? Is it high quality? If not, where should I be looking for quality transparent ruby cabs or star rubies?
IMG_5244.jpg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...where should I be looking for quality transparent ruby cabs or star rubies?

Actually transparent? That will be almost as budget-breaking and will almost by definition have a weak star.

This stone is pretty but certainly nowhere near transparent. With respect to color, even the two shots you posted show completely different hues/tones so it is hard to gauge that here.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea but you might want to make sure it’s not synthetic. It’s a gorgeous ring.

The stone is GIA certified, semi-transparent to translucent and purplish red color. I think the second video has a more accurate color representation.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is GIA certified, semi-transparent to translucent and purplish red color. I think the second video has a more accurate color representation.

Great! I’m not a ruby expert but it looks amazing. I love it. It really depends on your budget and what you think of it in person. Will you love wearing it? That’s the most important thing.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CSs with stars need inclusions (rutiles/silks) to reflect the light, therefore, they cannot be 100% transparent.

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you call these? Translucent?

Those look pretty transparent to me but there is little that can be said from a photo. Like: why are all the stars pointing in different directions? And why are they all sitting in water? Shadows look like the light is coming from the left. Maybe there are multiple pinpoint light sources above...?

In general, the greater the transparency, the weaker the star. Lack of transparency is of course no guarantee of a star...

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful stone and a beautiful ring.

It's high quality in the sense that very few people would have a better one (if only because, even among jewellery lovers, very few people would have a star ruby at all). It's certainly better than my star ruby. I'd be happy to pay four-figure dollars for it.

If you want to be critical, the star could be brighter, the body could be more transparent, the body tone could be a bit lighter, and the colour could be a truer (i.e., less purply) red.

But here's the thing: each of these features costs money, and to get them all together costs serious money (think Christie's Auctions). The quality scale is open-ended at the top. How high quality to you want? And how much do you want to pay for it?

For a comparison, here's a search at Lang Antiques: https://www.langantiques.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=star+ruby
First point: there aren't many - star rubies are rare. Second, your stone sits comfortably in the range of quality.

Here is an old PS thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tar-sapphires-and-rubies.231433/#post-4171026
Note that star rubies are much rarer than sapphires - you have to flip through the pages to find the rubies. Again, your stone sits comfortably in the range of quality.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in purchasing a larger ruby ring and since a 4-5 carat ruby is out of the budget for now, I've been looking at star rubies and cabochons.

Can anyone give advice on the ruby in this ring? Is it high quality? If not, where should I be looking for quality transparent ruby cabs or star rubies?
IMG_5244.jpg

It's quite nice actually, and rare. The mounting looks like it has quality melee, as well. If you were to find one that was even more translucent it would be extremely expensive.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is gorgeous and absolutely delightful!

I'd like to think I'm pretty well-versed in matters of corundum; however, star material is a whole other ballgame. I'm no expert, but that stone/ring is beautimous!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results