shape
carat
color
clarity

SS Orange Spessartite Garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh man, those look like fireball, or lava They are gorgeous stones!

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Great Spess! Some small tsavorite's next to those spess as accents in gold ought to do it right up! I love that orange!
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Beautiful stones!! TFS

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/13/2009 8:16:24 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
It seems as though there is still some nice material coming out from the Tanzania find, not alot and not frequent, but some nice examples seem to pop up here and there. I was looking at Pala Int website offerings for spess and they seem to have some exceptional stones at nice sizes (more from the Nigerian find, which I happen to prefer a bit).... I sure hope you can get a good one :)

The spessartite mine in Tanzania is finished, there is nothing new coming out. The rough we saw while in Tanzania 2 weeks ago was material that was mined last year or the year before, and just being held. It appeared that people had hung on to some of the best material, as I saw stones that were cleaner and better color than what I had previously seen the past 2 years.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW thanks for the additional photos. You do take really really good photos of orange! And of course I admire your ability to pick stones. Great colors and cuts and sizes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve heard that the Loliondo is tapped out. Is the Nigerian spessartite still being mined? The Namibian is all gone too, right?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 10:20:33 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
Date: 7/13/2009 8:16:24 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
It seems as though there is still some nice material coming out from the Tanzania find, not alot and not frequent, but some nice examples seem to pop up here and there. I was looking at Pala Int website offerings for spess and they seem to have some exceptional stones at nice sizes (more from the Nigerian find, which I happen to prefer a bit).... I sure hope you can get a good one :)

The spessartite mine in Tanzania is finished, there is nothing new coming out. The rough we saw while in Tanzania 2 weeks ago was material that was mined last year or the year before, and just being held. It appeared that people had hung on to some of the best material, as I saw stones that were cleaner and better color than what I had previously seen the past 2 years.
Bummer, they''re hanging on to the pick of the litter - NOT FAIR. I also heard there''s no more African Paraiba to be had, but that''s a new thread.

Question, why do you prefer the Nigerian over the Tanzanian Gene? Just curious.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The new Nigerian material I have seen is clean, but the color is a bit dark, with some brownish tones, and a bit red. The tanzanian material is very nice color, but I have yet to see a piece that is totally clean. The stones we saw on this last trip were the cleanest I have seen from Tanzania. Overall, I think the Tanzanian material makes for a nicer stone especially if you are looking for that more fanta orange color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
The next time we meet, I should show you my Loliondo spessartite. Perhaps I was fortunate but mine is eye clean. It’s a 5 carat piece but if you loupe it, you will see sugars throughout the stone. It is also a very neon orange.

chronospess.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 8:51:12 AM
Author: Chrono

Gene,
The next time we meet, I should show you my Loliondo spessartite. Perhaps I was fortunate but mine is eye clean. It’s a 5 carat piece but if you loupe it, you will see sugars throughout the stone. It is also a very neon orange.

Chrono - love this stone, where did you get it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 8:51:12 AM

Gene,

I was thinking about your stone Chrono when Gene was describing the Loliondos that the miners were stashing away. They let this one get away, that's for sure. Boy did you luck out on getting that stone. It's the pinnacle of Loliondo material to my eyes Yum Yum
3.gif
Not to mention it's cut well, clean, a big size. It's one of those stones that Gene referenced as "having it all."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks TL. I cannot tell you how many times I count myself fortunate every time I look at it. I’ve been helping a friend look for Loliondo and it’s been a long and unsuccessful search. One parameter is always off: it is either too small, too yellow or too included.

D&T,
Jeff White purchased the rough in Tucson and cut it for me.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 9:02:32 AM

Thanks TL. I cannot tell you how many times I count myself fortunate every time I look at it. I’ve been helping a friend look for Loliondo and it’s been a long and unsuccessful search. One parameter is always off: it is either too small, too yellow or too included.

D&T,
thanks! that is the perfect everything... I was trying to hunt down that color... I am very
27.gif
with Envy

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 9:26:45 AM
Author: D&T
Date: 7/22/2009 9:02:32 AM

D&T,

thanks! that is the perfect everything... I was trying to hunt down that color... I am very
27.gif
with Envy

me toooooo... Chrono''s spess is something else! I''ve yet to tire of seeing it
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results