shape
carat
color
clarity

SS Orange Spessartite Garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hello hello colored stone friends... here is my next installment.

A bit of luscious orange to celebrate the warm weather! First up is a stone I picked up at an "in store" gem show... a killer round portuguese or "flower cut". This stone is rather vivid straight orange. Here is a picture to whet the appetite
12.gif

DSCF1344.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif
Do you know where it's from?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I was told it was from Nigeria. Its slightly included but that suits me just fine since it possesses that glow that enamours me so
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
C''mon. Inclusions are fun.
2.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks SDL! I couldn''t put it down at the store. Reminder to self... leave credit card at home when going to gem shows... :)

Date: 6/3/2009 12:30:37 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
What an awesome orange, it glows! Beautiful!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I like them when they are small, diffuse, and add "texture" to the light when it comes back out. A few visible ones here and there on the girdle or easily prong''able dont bother me a bit for as long as they don''t affect the durability of the particular stone. Another benefit is that the prices are much easier to swallow
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even when the inclusion is an interesting mineral?
7.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I don''t quite follow?

Date: 6/3/2009 12:44:56 AM
Author: Harriet
Even when the inclusion is an interesting mineral?
7.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
*picks self off floor*

Wow, that''s one nice spess!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Great color, can't beat a straight orange. From what I have read, inclusions are pretty common in these stones (I might be wrong, but somewhere I read they are a type III stone), so I would not let that bother you. I am sure the glow is to die for.

ETA: You are building a great collection BTW, I love everything I have seen you put up.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Ga Ga Ga.... That''s about all I could get out.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W
30.gif
W!! Now there''s no yellow or brown at all in THAT stone!! Get me some Fanta soda!! What lighting is that if I may ask?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. I''m expecting more photos...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics . . . and the rest of your spessertites!! Please!!!???
12.gif

If it's from Nigeria, make sure you don't call it Mandarin
2.gif
- LOL!!

It's actually too orange to be mandarin anyways. How about if I trademark the verbiage "mini sun."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firecracker,
I think I’ve read somewhere that spessartites are a type II gem (but I don’t for sure either). I’m getting too old to remember new knowledge.
9.gif

SS,
Do you know the type of inclusion in your spessartite? That stone has eye popping orange colour. I don’t think you mentioned the mm size or carat weight.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Magenta, LtlFirecracker, kribbie thanks for looking and your compliments. These orange stones are rather difficult to capture just right... even a Mint green garnet is easy by comparison ;-)

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Well it was easy to get overwhelmed with the choices at the show I went to but I stuck to my guns with my mental image of pure orange and this stone wouldn''t let me put it down, unless it was my shirt pocket
11.gif

This particular lighting is late morning, diffuse sunlight. You can see a portion of a table reflection on the right side. This stone performs nicely under direct light, likely due to the inclusions (mainly dispersed veils and one black inclusion by the girdle).

I am glad you approve
10.gif

Date: 6/3/2009 8:03:15 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
W
30.gif
W!! Now there''s no yellow or brown at all in THAT stone!! Get me some Fanta soda!! What lighting is that if I may ask?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Stone Hunter and coatimundi it was my first, so it made the subsequent ones much harder... albeit it is a great reference stone.

Date: 6/3/2009 11:12:57 AM
Author: coatimundi
Gorgeous color!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I''ll try to get a few more pics of this one tonight after work, I promise.

I wouldn''t dream of calling it "Mandarin"... I am content with vivid orange spessartite
9.gif

I like "mini sun"... make sure to trademark it quick... the adjectives for orange are quickly running out it seems
31.gif

Date: 6/3/2009 11:22:11 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
More pics . . . and the rest of your spessertites!! Please!!!???
12.gif

If it''s from Nigeria, make sure you don''t call it Mandarin
2.gif
- LOL!!

It''s actually too orange to be mandarin anyways. How about if I trademark the verbiage ''mini sun.''

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I have read varying reports about that, perhaps someone has a reference at to the "clarity type" spessartite garnets are...

I do not know the chemical composition of the inclusions but I do know the physical dimensions!

3.75cts
a hint under 9mm diameter... cannot recall the depth, but its not a fatbelly cut
9.gif

Date: 6/3/2009 11:27:36 AM
Author: Chrono

Firecracker,
I think I’ve read somewhere that spessartites are a type II gem (but I don’t for sure either). I’m getting too old to remember new knowledge.
9.gif

SS,
Do you know the type of inclusion in your spessartite? That stone has eye popping orange colour. I don’t think you mentioned the mm size or carat weight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SS. Wow, that’s a good sized spessartite! I've heard that having microscopic inclusions bounces the light back differently, giving the stone a slight soft glow.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful orange
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
. What a lucky find for you. Really gorgeous.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
YUMMY!!!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone!!! It looks absolutely juicy :)

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
That is one great stone!
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep coming back to look at this stone!
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
sleepy- so glad you came out of lurking with this amazing collection... that orange!
30.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME!!!
36.gif

Lori

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luscious is right!
3.gif
18.gif

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results