shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel setting help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need help setting the following stone:
Original link
IMG_3299%20freke.jpg

IMG_3300%20freke.jpg

IMG_3341%20freke.jpg

IMG_3344%20link.jpg

IMG_3358%20freke.jpg

I know I want white metal, so 14kt wg or palladium are the top choices. Mostly because my budget is around the $700 mark. $800 tops. The stone is 1.6cts, 7mm. Gray spinel cut by Barry Bridgestock. I''m thinking cool and modern, maybe graduated side stones, but no eternities, prefer no 3 stones. I''m ok with plain solitaires, but I love quirky details. No halos.

So, what would you do?

Suggestions, please?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d make it a solitaire, cause by doing a semi eternity (of some sort) everything might end up too large. I think double claw prongs on a graduated D-profile shank would make it look simple and modern.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a pic ma re? I''m a semi-newb when it comes to settings.
3.gif

Although I did custom design a reset for my ering stone, but I just copied elements from other rings that I liked!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well don''t have a picture, but if you can imagine THESE (or these) prongs on THIS shank (ignore the stones), that would be pretty much it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is cool, but I really don''t like the prongs. Maybe if they were claws?

Link

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 3:55:12 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Ok, I see where you're going with this. That's pretty cool. I found a few stock settings that I thought were kind of cool.

Surprise stone (boring though)

Funky awesome shank with diamonds, not so great head.

Funky shank, no diamonds

Opposite taper, modern

Dig the surprise diamonds, but looks boring from the top

Really, I have no idea. I think there are too many options. I need someone to narrow them down for me!
3.gif

Narrow them down I will
9.gif

#1 - similar to what I came up with, but round prongs and a shank that doesen't narrow towards the back really make it a bit boring

#2 - interesting, but the shank might draw too much attention away from the stone

#3 - if they can make it for a round stone (and with some normal prongs), don't see anything wrong with it

#4 - I just don't like flat shanks for round stones; they just clash IMO

#5 - me like it a lot, but I can see what you mean by boring from the top (claw prongs would add some excitement).

#6 (the one on your next post) - see #4

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
I think you and I are on the same page. I need to take it to a store and play with some settings in person. I just HATE the boring solitaire settings everyone always has in stock. They always SUCK. Well that''s not entirely true, but I do want something more interesting than a plain 4 or 6 prong solitaire for this project.
40.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like the thin seed ones - #2 and #3? But I''m not as big a fan of the head although I like that cool shank.

Not as big a fan of the modern one but I do like the more boring but fun from the sides settings too
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Freke, you know which one I like!

linky

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 4:41:13 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Freke, you know which one I like!

linky
Hahahaha!!! You''re naughty. I do love that setting though. Too bad it''s too much $$$ for this project.
7.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Frekee- I''m really digging this one! I, too, love things that have a bit of a twist. You have the most lovely ering, and since it is also blue, I personally would hate to see this ring as competition for it. That''s why I''d choose something more funky for it. I''m also kind of loving the head. When you look at it at an angle, it doesn''t seem so boxy and would allow lots of light to get to the pavilion of the stone, but is miles away from the traditional solitaire look.

Now, remember, this is only my take on what I''d do. As with any opinion, you get exactly what you pay for!!

FrekeeRing.JPG

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I love that stone freke. Just love it.
How about something like Shigi's ering? I think the brushed setting would help the stone really pop.

shigidigiring2.jpg

Did I mention that I love that stone?

ETA: I like the one that BEG posted too. JA has pretty settings, but they're charge to modify and set I think is a little outrageous (comes to hundreds of dollars)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, also this one will take a 7mm stone. Little fancier...

103x2f052.3L.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
What about a bezel? You could get one with pretty milgrain along the edge :)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooo, I like Coati''s wire solitaire suggestion (first one).

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:53:09 PM
Author: Upgradable

I do, too! It has those lines to keep it from being boring but it''s simple. Very pretty!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:55:55 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Ooooooo, I like Coati's wire solitaire suggestion (first one).

I do, too! It has those lines to keep it from being boring but it's simple. Very pretty!

Price is around $500 for a 7mm stone--not bad eh?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like" funky with diamonds" a lot, but a bezel could be interesting too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww!!! Thanks guys, you''ve posted a lot of beautiful settings. I just have no idea what I want, because almost all of the solitaires I''ve seen just look engagement ring-y. And we can''t have that! (Unless I use it as a stand in occasionally...)

I love these! I think everything you guys have posted is awesome. I wish I could afford more bling on my budget, but no
40.gif

I think I''m leaning more modern for this because gray seems like a color that is really popular right now, and back in the day was looked upon as being drab. What did they know!

I love that restored platinum setting. I''m thinking about something like that for another project I will probably have coming up soon...
31.gif

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love love love the color of that stone!! I know so many people go for the "traditional" red spinel - I love the blues, purples and greys. That''s a fabulous stone, I cannot wait to see what you wind up with!

As far as suggestions - I''m the worst person to give advice in that area - it takes me forever to decide.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Love the wire one Coati posted!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Me too! It''s really cool and gives you something still classic, but different.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Did you say white, cool & modern? Cross prong solitaire:

http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/987

I have it for a cushion. It''s really nice and not expensive. I think your stone would look great in it. Cool stone, btw.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Coati, that NSC ring is really unique. I like it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Love that grey spinel! How about something like this from ArtCarved:

ArtCarved Solitude

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! You guys are awesome!!! Will you pick out all of the settings for the rest of my stones too? I only have 16 more...
9.gif

No but seriously, these will definitely be in contention. It''s going to be a few months before I purchase, but I''m going to keep looking, being that I have ALL of those dang stones left and they all are going to get set eventually.

Thanks for your help! And feel free to keep posting more if you come across something awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results