shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel Pear *Warning ~ Tons 'O Pics.....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Spec-tac-ular, Shiney!! Wow. It looks totally sumptuous on the leaf -- I hope you'll consider setting w/tsaves or emeralds, something green. LOVE the purple one too, yum yum.

--- Laurie

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: AWESOME pictures! :love: Love the strawberry pictures. :lickout:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Ohh-it is gorgeous!!! Such a yummy color and so sparkly (and the purple is lovely too ;)) ) Can't wait to see them set!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get the purple spinel from? I don't recall you mentioning that one. Very pretty.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Dear lord. *drool* I adore this little pear, it's the most perfect berry deliciousness!

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
WOW! That spinel is to die for! so gorgeous! What a color. I love it...went to look at the Swala site, they have beautiful things... :appl:

just wanted to say, it is beautiful. I have a spinel ring, I'll have to post it. It's one of my favorite rings, it's in yellow gold, even though I don't like to wear yellow gold much, I still love this ring. It's a hot pinky/red color, a pear shape. Pear seems to be popular for spinels? Does the cut show off the sparkle and color more? I think Spinels are as sparkly as diamonds aren't they? Might have read that somewhere.. :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh so good!

cheers--Sharon

MontageCreations

Rough_Rock
Trade
Shiney,

What a gorgeous spinel, and your photographic skills are awesome too, great composition and detail. I totally hear you about the ripping the lawn up. A few years back I was setting a 6 ct. diamond when it decided to fly off my bench, after 2 days of looking all over the floor, sweeping, dusting, vacuuming (and sorting thru the dust) I decided to turn off the lights and get out my black light. Still no diamond, till I passed the black light over my bench and there it was wedged between the pickle and the anti-flux jars.....

I laugh about it now, but at the time it wasn't funny at all :)

good luck on your project :appl:

oh, and the reason you see lots of pear spinels has to do with the rough, most of us that cut don't try to force the stone to be something it isn't, if we get elongated rough we cut it into elongated shapes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirecats|1306169653|2928337 said:
I think Spinels are as sparkly as diamonds aren't they? Might have read that somewhere.. :wavey:

They do not have a higher dispersion than diamonds, as they do not break up light in all the rainbow of colors like diamond. Some violet and blue spinels do break up the light into different colors, but I have never seen a red family spinel do this. However, I would say that nicely saturated spinels do have greater brilliance (sparkle factor) than tourmaline and beryl (aquamarine, emerald, etc. . . ). They also take on a great luster as well. However, as far as I'm concerned, diamonds have amazing brilliance, and I can't really compare any gem to them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome stone... Congratulations.

Just for my interest, the green stone looks awesome as well. What is it?

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
This is a most enjoyable thread. Your enthusiasm is contagious!
My stones aren't here yet and I already hear my canon calling me. Thanks for the inspiration!

and yes- WHERE was that purple spinel from?? Love it too!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shiney your spinel is beautiful and your photography is awesome. I adore fluor shots and you've achieved a superb shot. I set mine up exactly as you did - i.e. definitely not in an overly dark room but with diffused lighting elsewhere then steady the camera on the table, point, hold my breath and shoot!

What are your plans for Marilyn?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful gem! What's the stats on this beauty?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous!!! Still on the hunt myself, and wow, do I know about getting sidetracked on projects by buying other stones!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Very pretty!

-A

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
WOW Thank you everybody !!!
I was afraid I went a little over-the-top in the photo department....
It's nice you all enjoyed the pictures..

purplemelody, MonkeyPie and brandy_z28, I really enjoyed taking those berry photos ! I put them on a small white plate and then put the stone there.
I was surprised how much detail the camera picked up on those STRAWBERRIES !!!! plus, they were yummy !

JewelFreak, Bella_mezzo, TL and FallenRox: Thanks !! I am happy you like the purple spinel as well ~ it's really so pretty, sparkly and really really purple. But in a good way.
My son thought it was an amethyst when he saw the pictures, but I don't think those sparkle like this one.......
minousbijoux had purchased it and then gave a head's up that she was returning it. Well, I thought her description sounded nice, so I contacted Gemrite right away and was able to buy it ~ I really love it !

JewelFreak, I love the spinel sitting on a leaf too :love: I will give green side stones some consideration, although right now I am thinking of a halo setting like Chrono's gorgeous pear....

Crasru, thanks and the green stone is one of my Emeralds that I just had set in a nice 18 ct gold ring by Michael E ( those Emeralds are the color I really love, a bit lighter and blueish green, so a bit less expensive as Emeralds go 8-) ) I will make a thread on it soon !

LovingDiamonds: I am happy you like my spinel and my pictures.... I was surprised about the fluor shot myself ! Those really stunned me :shock: I would love to set Marilyn in a beautiful halo like Chrono's but will be open to setting suggestions. It's going to be awhile, gotta save up ! BTW, I love that 3-Heart Fancy diamond pendant of yours :love: :love:

MontageCreations : WoW if I had lost Marilyn for 2 days I think I would lose it..... completely !!! Lucky you for finding that big diamond, you would think it would just be so obvious that you couldn't possibly NOT see it ! The shine! the glimmer and glitter ! There is someone here who lost a spessartite out of a ring once after grocery shopping, I think I remember. She found it in her bag of cookies !!!! UGH these stones have private lives :???:

sapphirecats, I would love to see your spinel ring !!!! Another PEAR :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:
How did you have it set ! PICTURES please !!!

simplysplendid: Thank you for the kind words ! The stone is 2.2 cts and 9 x 7 x 5 mm, for me that is a good size !!!

erinl I thank you, and yes it is WAY too easy to get sidetracked !!!!

Arcadian, stepcutnut and canuk-gal, thank you so much for your nice comments !

I hope I didn't leave anyone out, I truly appreciate your comments and the fact that you spent time looking
I know it's a lot of pictures..... :shock:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on a beautiful stone, I just love it when someone gets a new stone and are so enthusiatic about it. I have a few that I feel that way about and I enjoy looking at them everyday, even though some of them aren't set yet. The purple is lovely also, such a great color for a spinel.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks colorluvr, I am like you ~ I like all my stones really, but I LOVE certain ones, it seems
I carry them around like little charms when I am home. I love to look at the colors in all lights...
sometimes I love them more when they aren't set, because then they are always out in their little
boxes for me to see....
I love the purple spinel too, I am appreciative of the help I had in finding it :))

If I didn't say it already, I LLLLOOOVVVVEEEE your new ring !!!! What a cool setting
and a beautiful green cab !!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazingly clear, bright, detailed and artistic pictures of a variety of gems and ring. Thank you for sharing with us the setup and thank goodness you found the spinel! I can imagine the sweating, hand wringing and possibly swearing going on while looking for it.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1306237411|2928981 said:
Amazingly clear, bright, detailed and artistic pictures of a variety of gems and ring. Thank you for sharing with us the setup and thank goodness you found the spinel! I can imagine the sweating, hand wringing and possibly swearing going on while looking for it.

Oh, yeah !!!!!!!!! There was plenty of that !!! :lol:

I swear, it took a dive point down and burrowed itself in the dirt. And here's me, thinking it would be somewhere
on the top.... Those boys !!!! Why do they take so long to "get around" to mowing the lawn !!!!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: This spinel is TDF!!!!! :sun: :love: Very bright and Very pretty pink! All of your gems are gorgeous :love: ! Enjoy!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning STUNNING photos!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
ZestfullyBling: Why, thank you!!!! I am happy you like the spinel ~ it's my favorite stone !!!

MTG : Gosh, Thanks !!! I have learned how to take pictures by studying yours :)) and others', and from advice posted here....
I have a ways to go...... but the journey is fun !!!!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Shiney!

I missed this thread before, but found it just now doing a search . . . do you mind if I ask a few questions? I'm considering a Swala spinel too.

1. Are you in the US? I'm wondering if there are any customs fees/taxes . . . would rather avoid a nasty surprise upon delivery!

2. Did you post a vendor pic of this beauty somewhere? Wondering how it compared IRL vs studio shot.

Thanks!
~FPP

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stones are beautiful and I really enjoy all the pictures! I'm sure you mentioned this... did both spinels come from Swala and how are you going to set them?

Congratulations on some fabulous eye candy :appl: !

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
The color of that pear is amazingly gemmy! Awesome photos too. I tried to email Swala not too long ago, never heard anything back. Does anyone have an alternate email?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hey You Two !!!!
Just saw this, actually I am on the internet searching for
one of my recipes for July 4th !!!
Let me get back to you later this evening, and Happy Holidays !!!! :sun:

I just love taking pictures of this pear, which is indeed a Swala stone...
Here are a few more recent photos....
My bathroom window. And outside in the morning light...
This stone glows in any light, appearing sometimes redder, sometimes more pink...
Which I particularly enjoy...

6-26-11 036 (Large).JPG

6-26-11 034 (Large).JPG

6-5-11 028 (Large).JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
fireypiropixy, Here is the vendor picture....
I love Eric, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
I am in the US, no fees, duties or taxes to pay in my experience. :))

Thank you, babynurse, I am seriously loving your Pad and it's lovely home !!!
I was thinking of having my pear set in a halo similar to Chrono's....
I don't have much imagination, but I think that is a beautiful setting that I love :love:

Treebean, Eric frequently goes out-of-country... He is back now, I think.
I emailed him last week and only just heard back !!!

The purple Spinel is a lovely piece of gorgeousness from GemRite !!!!

6-5-11 011 (Large).JPG

My Swala Pear !.jpg

Spinel Pear Morning light (Large).jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU, SHINEY!!!!!

That was very helpful.

I'm posting a shot of the two that I'm having a go-round about. When I saw your gorgeous shots yesterday, I would have sworn that the coloring was most like one . . . yet now with the vendor's pic I suddenly think . . . it looks like the other. INDECISION!!

FPP%20Swala%20Mahenge.jpg

Since you have some good on-hand experience with this . . . what do you think? Small size of the pear 5x7 makes me a little sad, but he keeps neglecting to address my "is there anything larger" question. Trillion is 8.4. The pic of the trillion alone, first, made me think it was tres' juicy! Both "neon-ish", per Eric.

Your's seems so strawberry red . . . I would have sworn the vendor shot would have been more like this trillion. But it seems (and maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet) more like the pear . . . ?

I can't even decide . . . pink pink, or red-pink, which is more ideal. Worried I'll make the wrong decision.

Thanks again Shiney -- sorry for taking up your thread, but you seem a great person to ask about this specifically!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results