shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel experts, I'm looking for my first spinel

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the emerald cut from Gemstone project! I was stressing because it was a bit over what I thought I'd spend, but my husband said those magic words:
"Just get it". :appl:
I'll post pics when it gets here. I'm already thinking about setting ideas. ... 20181007_215425.png

How exciting and I can't wait to see pics when it arrives. My DH is like yours. Just get it he says. :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the emerald cut from Gemstone project! I was stressing because it was a bit over what I thought I'd spend, but my husband said those magic words:
I'll post pics when it gets here. I'm already thinking about setting ideas. ... 20181007_215425.png

Gorgeous spinel and I love your setting plans. :kiss2:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

aww good hubby! Looking forward to seeing pics :)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
The EC spinel arrived. It's a rainy day here, so I haven't seen this stone in the sunshine yet. But to me it's got a lot of mauvy pink to it indoors. Only under bright light do I see the purple tone that attracted me. It's very pretty though, and sparkles more than I expected. Beautiful rainbows.
This could get exhausting, thinking you found the one, get it home, and , well, hmmm.... 20181012_170044.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that you don't like how the spinel looks indoors. I think, though, that someday, when you do find your perfect purple spinel, it will be that much more special because of your journey.

Have you tried asking Jeff White or Gary at Finewater Gems? @dk168 says Jeff White has tons of gemstone rough so you may want to commission your spinel from him. Finewater Gems carries lots of spinels and might have the contacts to help you find exactly what you want.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Being a spinel novice, I am wondering is it typical that the color looks so different in different light? Are most spinels like that?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finding the perfect lavender spinel is no easy task! I was on the hunt for one a few years back and never did find exactly what I was looking for. I ended up with a light lavender spinel that shifts a bit pink, but it does hold its color in various lighting better than my darker stones. Overcast rainy days can impact the color of CS quite a lot. I envy PS’ers that live in regions that are almost always sunny! It would be nice for you to be able to view the stone on a sunny day, hopefully you have sun in the forecast in the near future.
If this stone doesn’t end up being the one for you, I just came across this on on Africa Gems that looks nice.
https://www.africagems.com/purple-spinel-cushion-gemstone-52925566.html

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@2Neezers your light lavender spinel that goes to light pink sounds like exactly I am looking for. Maybe the one I bought is too dark? Another PS'er is returning a much lighter lavender spinel, I like the color but she said she doesn't really see any pink, a touch of blue outside. Pic below.
And I like larger stones, 3cts or more, so add that complication...
I guess I'm chasing a unicorn.
Screenshot_20181010-215044.png

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers your light lavender spinel that goes to light pink sounds like exactly I am looking for. Maybe the one I bought is too dark? Another PS'er is returning a much lighter lavender spinel, I like the color but she said she doesn't really see any pink, a touch of blue outside. Pic below.
And I like larger stones, 3cts or more, so add that complication...
I guess I'm chasing a unicorn.
Screenshot_20181010-215044.png
I think you could find it, but it might take a little while. The one I have is from Multicolour, it was labeled as very light bluish purple and is very close in color to a Rose de France I also own. These stones did not want to cooperate for this photo! The oval on the left is the 8.6 x 7 spinel from Multcolour (It came to me with a little window that Jerry Newman removed) and the big round (10mm+) is a Rose de France from Jeff Davies. The spinel is just a touch more pink than the Rose de France in person, but not as pink as the photo shows.
22EFE2FA-0FE4-40A9-A9D6-36671AB3659C.jpeg
The spinel in this thread is the one I and everyone else at the time was trying to find one like. It’s amazing!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-dream-stone-2-42-ct-lavender-spinel.198242/

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@2Neezers oh, I love both of your stones! I really love rose de France! I am hoping to get a stone that looks like rose de France, but with the extra hardness and sparkle of spinel.
So this other lighter one I mentioned, I was put off by it having some blue, but maybe that would be ok? The PSer told me its light lavender indoors, very true to vendor photo. Vendor told me it is like a rose de France "on steroids".
Here"s a couple other pics, would appreciate your input since you've shopped for the same thing! Screenshot_20181010-215147.png 20181012_214541.png

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers oh, I love both of your stones! I really love rose de France! I am hoping to get a stone that looks like rose de France, but with the extra hardness and sparkle of spinel.
So this other lighter one I mentioned, I was put off by it having some blue, but maybe that would be ok? The PSer told me its light lavender indoors, very true to vendor photo. Vendor told me it is like a rose de France "on steroids".
Here"s a couple other pics, would appreciate your input since you've shopped for the same thing! Screenshot_20181010-215147.png 20181012_214541.png
It looks like a very pretty stone! The second photo does look like my Rose De France. I think it has potential! I don’t actually see blue in my stone, so you might not see it in person in the one pictured either. I had ordered and returned a few stones before keeping the one I did, and to be complete honest, I kept it and didn’t keep looking for a darker version because I didn’t want to deal with international returns! These purples, lavenders and violets are tricky and I think they might be one of the hardest colors to find just the perfect shade in when you have something specific in mind. Hopefully you will find yours soon!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DSCF2955 (2).JPG

My unicorn would be a smaller version of this one. The spinel was 4.47 carats iirc (we saw it in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter in April). I liked the sapphire too. I'll have to check my thread for the details. I think the spinel was a cushion rather than EC I was looking for but it was very sparkly. The ring in the photo has an amethyst. It was £2500. :eek2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I found my spinel , thanks to @elle_71125 ! The color is exactly what I wanted. I opened the box and said, Oh, yes!
The pavillion needs a little refining, but Jerry already looked at it and said he can fix it. So thrilled!
20181017_203325.jpg

I’m so happy to hear that you love it and I’m glad Jerry can tune it up a bit. It really is gorgeous in person! :love:
There is nothing like that pure joy from opening a package and getting exactly what you were hoping for. Congrats on an epic stone!

Now let’s get to the juicy bits...what were you thinking for a setting?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding the spinel you were envisioning. Lavender is not the easiest color to find or evaluate in photographs. I have a lilac spinel that photographs brown but I only see a pinkish purple in real life. Your new spinel is stunning and will be glorious with the planned recut.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 oh, I can't thank you enough for posting this on IG that day! Then I saw your post here. OMG, in real life this color! Yes, Jerry is going to add some faceting to the pavilion, said it will be more lively and time may deepen a little. Perfect.
You know my wheels are already turning on a setting! I really just want to halo this thing in little single cuts! I use DK, so I know it will be amazing. Something like this, perhaps:
20181017_210257.png

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Eek, typo, he said the tone might deepen

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 oh, I can't thank you enough for posting this on IG that day! Then I saw your post here. OMG, in real life this color! Yes, Jerry is going to add some faceting to the pavilion, said it will be more lively and time may deepen a little. Perfect.
You know my wheels are already turning on a setting! I really just want to halo this thing in little single cuts! I use DK, so I know it will be amazing. Something like this, perhaps:
20181017_210257.png

Oh, that style setting would be gorgeous! It's got a kind of vintage flare and makes me so happy that you're planning on using single cuts. :love:

I can't wait to see it after Jerry tweaks it!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Super nice stone. Congratulations!! It will be gorgeous in that halo.
Happy you edited your post...I was wondering how time might darken a spinel...lol :eek2:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful and the inspiration ring looks amazing! :love:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@LJsapphire I know you said no rush, but I was on Gem Rock Auctions and saw this one from Gemrough (aka Murray). Only $125! He is very responsive to email, and accepts returns.
Yes, I'm still spinel shopping!( Not to replace my beautiful new spinel, but this girls got the spinel bug now! I love them!)
20181021_192653.png

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@LJsapphire I know you said no rush, but I was on Gem Rock Auctions and saw this one from Gemrough (aka Murray). Only $125! He is very responsive to email, and accepts returns.
Yes, I'm still spinel shopping!( Not to replace my beautiful new spinel, but this girls got the spinel bug now! I love them!)
20181021_192653.png

I have a spinel a bit like this. It will be dark and only flash like this under bright light. Just so you know, these dark spinels are fascinating in their own right.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20181021_192653.png

Ooh that's lovely! Thanks for thinking of me again.
@peacechick thanks for the extra info. :cool2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So, as you know, I bought the lavender stone because I loved the color and Jerry said he could fix the pavilion. However, Jerry just got the stone and measured it. The dimensions provided by seller were off, and now with the actual measurements, Jerry can't fix it! Argh!!
So I've learned an expensive lesson.
20181026_200309.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, as you know, I bought the lavender stone because I loved the color and Jerry said he could fix the pavilion. However, Jerry just got the stone and measured it. The dimensions provided by seller were off, and now with the actual measurements, Jerry can't fix it! Argh!!
So I've learned an expensive lesson.
20181026_200309.png

that's so frustrating! Can you ask for a refund from the original seller since the info about measurements was so incorrect? Or was it a private sale?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results