shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I guess we will have to ask ChaiK because to be honest, I don't see any glow. Maybe it is because I was thinking it should look like a moonstone kind of glow. All the ones that I have seen that glow look kinda like moonstone. Glad we have ChaiK to ask. Does chromium glow Icy?

I think it was BurmeseD who called it chromium glow, never seen the term in articles I’ve read. I think it just looks more vibrantly green in the sun

Also your necklace is the bean variety? So shouldn’t be able to glow. Material is too opaque

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I think it was BurmeseD who called it chromium glow, never seen the term in articles I’ve read. I think it just looks more vibrantly green in the sun

Also your necklace is the bean variety? So shouldn’t be able to glow. Material is too opaque

Thank you Icy. Maybe BurmeseD will appear to help us out with the explanation. That would be awesome. In regard to bean variety I can never really understand all those terms. Although, if my necklace and bracelet were bean and opaque, wouldn't it say that on my certificate from the Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab? I will include a copy of my certificate. I don't really see opaque. I should call my jeweler tomorrow and ask her about it.

fullsizeoutput_3195.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Icy. Maybe BurmeseD will appear to help us out with the explanation. That would be awesome. In regard to bean variety I can never really understand all those terms. Although, if my necklace and bracelet were bean and opaque, wouldn't it say that on my certificate from the Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab? I will include a copy of my certificate. I don't really see opaque. I should call my jeweler tomorrow and ask her about it.

fullsizeoutput_3195.jpeg

Bean, glutinous, icy, glassy (豆, 糯,冰,玻璃) are trade terms that I’ve never seen on certs. Examples in this article starting from bean on top and glassy at bottom:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Bean, glutinous, icy, glassy (豆, 糯,冰,玻璃) are trade terms that I’ve never seen on certs. Examples in this article starting from bean on top and glassy at bottom:

But if my bead necklace and bracelet were opaque wouldn't it be indicated so on the HKJSL Certificate? I don't see it there. Also, if you have never seen these terms on a certificate, how do you determine what a piece of jade is or if it is opaque without seeing it in real life?
Thank you so much for these articles. I will certainly enjoy reading them. Learning more everyday........

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Is it equivalent to grain as Bernie mentioned in the other forum? My HKJS cert mentions grain

23A98EAF-E8FE-4607-9A1B-F6C5401CDFB0.jpeg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Is it equivalent to grain as Bernie mentioned in the other forum? My HKJS cert mentions grain

Grain? Wouldn't opaque and translucent be noted in the Transparency column? I don't think that opaque, or translucent qualifies in the Magnification column. Opaque and translucent are different from grain type, right? I think maybe that grain is referring to the physical makeup of the stone i.e. coarse, fine, medium grain. And if you are talking about opaque or translucent that is referring to how opaque, translucent or icy the stone is. For instance the visual effect of the stone in indoor, outdoor, sunlight, etc.
Is this the certificate for your beautiful bangle in your avatar? I love that bangle.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Grain? Wouldn't opaque and translucent be noted in the Transparency column? I don't think that opaque, or translucent qualifies in the Magnification column. Opaque and translucent are different from grain type, right? I think maybe that grain is referring to the physical makeup of the stone i.e. coarse, fine, medium grain. And if you are talking about opaque or translucent that is referring to how opaque, translucent or icy the stone is. For instance the visual effect of the stone in indoor, outdoor, sunlight, etc.
Is this the certificate for your beautiful bangle in your avatar? I love that bangle.

No this is for another bangle.

I also thought translucency is for type but Bernie said it’s the grain.

In any case it’s quite easy to tell if a material is opaque or not.

Bean
974BA5EF-E155-4CB3-83C4-1EB17E05554D.jpeg

Glass
AE367551-5C56-4720-86BD-E0D5D96C7ED7.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Silvermom I personally find that while it's interesting to learn about all the terms, the only thing that matters is whether something is pretty or not.

A wise friend said to me regarding Jade: ugly is ugly.

Your necklace is gorgeous with gorgeous colour! That's all I care about really.

I saw a clip of a vendor hocking watery Jade once. Colourless and yes it looked like water. I can turn on a tap for free. What's the point!? But your mileage might vary! I'm not a fan of colourless things (or grey things) and would rather colour with bean texture etc.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Silvermom I personally find that while it's interesting to learn about all the terms, the only thing that matters is whether something is pretty or not.

I saw a clip of a vendor hocking watery Jade once. Colourless and yes it looked like water. I can turn on a tap for free. What's the point!? But your mileage might vary! I'm not a fan of colourless things (or grey things) and would rather colour with bean texture etc.

Agree, end of the day it’s how all the characteristics combine together and most importantly whether you like the item and if it brings you joy. Like my green jadeite ring is totally opaque but I love it at first sight cos of the color

“Personal preferences and all that”… can’t rem who used this term first but I think is so true.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Icy, found an article that might help you to understand what I am saying. According to this article it is not texture (grain) that correlates to translucence but rather transparency. You might be getting the two terms mixed up. Also, according to this article the three most important qualities, in order of their impact on market value are color, then transparency, and then texture. Hope this is helpful. I really enjoyed reading this article and learned a lot from it.
https://www.gia.edu/jade-quality-factor
Another interesting thing to note in this article. In the paragraph about texture, there is a beautiful green jade ring with rubies flanking it's side. It does not look icy at all but according to this article considered very valuable. I think it might be because of its' color. The texture is not that fine either. But I definitely would not call this a bean quality. I think that many of the jade sisters on this site have pieces that look far better than this one. Jade is such an amazing stone and so hard to figure out that I think even some experts have a hard time. LOL I guess that basically why I try not to analyze other people's jade besides the fact that I am far from an expert. I can only admire all your pieces from afar. But I do learn a lot from you guys so am very happy too. Sigh...... So many beautiful pieces.
P.S. Icy, have you been able to contact my jeweler yet? I told her that you had asked for her info and that you might be contacting her.

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

MELLOW, You are the sweetest thing. Thank you for your very kind comments. I too think color is the most important thing. It is hard to get everything you want in a piece of jade and every jade is very different so you are right, you have to get what most appeals to you. I do have to say though that the thing that most attracts me first is the color. After that I have to decide what other things I like about it.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
No this is for another bangle.

I also thought translucency is for type but Bernie said it’s the grain.

In any case it’s quite easy to tell if a material is opaque or not.

Bean
974BA5EF-E155-4CB3-83C4-1EB17E05554D.jpeg

Glass
AE367551-5C56-4720-86BD-E0D5D96C7ED7.jpeg

Icy, I was confused as to what you meant when you said that Bernie said that translucence applies to grain so I decided to ask her. You might have misunderstood what she meant.
I will share what she said to me with you. She was so kind to explain to me. She truly is an angel, always willing to share her knowledge. So basically this is what she said.

fullsizeoutput_31a7.jpeg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Here are some other really interesting things we discussed while she was kind enough to school me regarding types of jade that you might find interesting. So basically what my interpretation of this is, it boils down to is every piece of jade is unique and it is up to the individual person to determine what is the most important factor in the piece that they choose. Unless, of course, they find a piece that has the best color, translucency, and texture. Then be prepared to sell your husband, house, and kids. Oh, and also your dog. LOL

fullsizeoutput_31a4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_31a5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_31a9.jpeg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some other really interesting things we discussed while she was kind enough to school me regarding types of jade that you might find interesting. So basically what my interpretation of this is, it boils down to is every piece of jade is unique and it is up to the individual person to determine what is the most important factor in the piece that they choose. Unless, of course, they find a piece that has the best color, translucency, and texture. Then be prepared to sell your husband, house, and kids. Oh, and also your dog. LOL

fullsizeoutput_31a4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_31a5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_31a9.jpeg

Um, yes, I think we said pretty much the same thing from page 93 to 95.

It's The Total Look.

And your necklace and all your pieces have The Total Look:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:. For me anyway.

Pedantry really is the dotage of knowledge.

Instead, enjoy your jadeite.

And I found two pictures that might help you understand colour. I don't have all my pieces with me at the moment. These are old pictures I dug up of two of them which I love very much. Does not mean they are best pieces. I just love them. No flash was used and these were taken in low light.

1627498168756.png

1627498193238.png

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Um, yes, I think we said pretty much the same thing from page 93 to 95.

It's The Total Look.

And your necklace and all your pieces have The Total Look:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:. For me anyway.

Pedantry really is the dotage of knowledge.

Instead, enjoy your jadeite.

And I found two pictures that might help you understand colour. I don't have all my pieces with me at the moment. These are old pictures I dug up of two of them which I love very much. Does not mean they are best pieces. I just love them. No flash was used and these were taken in low light.

1627498168756.png

1627498193238.png

OH WOW CHAIK! They look absolutely stunning to me. You got gorgeous pieces. Thank you for sharing. It makes me happy to see such BEAUTIES!!!
These two have both translucence and intense color. What more can you ask for? Impressive.
Color is always my first priority. Then I can start to factor in other qualities. I would buy these two in a second.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
There is a seller called Jadeite 888 on etsy and I believe this jade bangle and others they are selling to be treted jadeite:

1627508945249.png

The certificate is a fake.

I think it is shocking that this vendor has a 25K usd jadeite ring (which is flat and not worth 25K usd by the way).

I also think there was a comment on a purse forum to indicate this seller is legit. I am sure there were no mal intentions when the comments were made. Jadeite is mesmerising and anyone, new or experienced buyers, could walk into a web of lies unknowingly.

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
There is a seller called Jadeite 888 on etsy and I believe this jade bangle and others they are selling to be treted jadeite:

1627508945249.png

I think it is shocking that this vendor has a 25K usd jadeite ring (which is flat and not worth 25K usd by the way).

I also think there was a comment on a purse forum to indicate this seller is legit. I am sure there were no mal intentions when the comments were made. Jadeite is mesmerising and anyone, new or experienced buyers, could walk into a web of lies unknowingly.

Agree.....really disgusting. That is why I mostly buy from my jeweler. I am such a coward and can't even go to Las Vegas. It would stress me out too much. LOL
Also, that is why it is good to know knowledgeable people like you guys to steer me in the right director and to learn from.
AND it also helps to always get a certification from a reputable lab whenever you purchase something.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the almost colourless jadeite and colour jadeite too. The more transparent the material, the less intense the colour, hard to find a balance within budget. I think the next few years my budget will be going to jade.
A few more pics of my pendant.

Attachments

• Photo_1627531297224.jpg
    Photo_1627531297224.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo_1627531629668.jpg
    Photo_1627531629668.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo_1627531596650.jpg
    Photo_1627531596650.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 20

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I like the almost colourless jadeite and colour jadeite too. The more transparent the material, the less intense the colour, hard to find a balance within budget. I think the next few years my budget will be going to jade.
A few more pics of my pendant.

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY!

voce

Ideal_Rock

1627508945249.png

:lol-2: I have bought this same one and returned everything from this seller because not mind clean. I didn't get to test it under UV light because I lost one, and the replacement didn't arrive until I had already shipped it back. There were cracks in it that weren't disclosed. I'm out the $$ I paid for shipping, but otherwise got a full refund.

I think the seller may also have been duped by whomever sourced the bangle. I don't know if people who set up shops meticulously check every piece that they buy.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@voce , oh, really? I was not aware it was a piece you had bought.

A friend was eyeing it and we dug deeper on the cert and looked at the pitted surface of the pictures before deciding best not to.

Not accusing the vendor that everything she sells is treated. Just that she seemed to also have genuine pieces, so one might be suckered into buying on that premise. The vendor herself may also not have been aware.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce , oh, really? I was not aware it was a piece you had bought.

A friend was eyeing it and we dug deeper on the cert and looked at the pitted surface of the pictures before deciding best not to.

Not accusing the vendor that everything she sells is treated. Just that she seemed to also have genuine pieces, so one might be suckered into buying on that premise. The vendor herself may also not have been aware.

Yes well there seemed to be cracks and I thought it looked like it may have had some sort of resin to fill in the cracks. Lovely color though.
PXL_20210715_050058103.NIGHT.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
This is a jade seller, surely they know the certificate is not genuine and the material looks like it was treated.
@Silvermom thank you for your kind words. ☺
@ChaiK after seeing your lavender I don't think I'll ever be happy with bangles currently on sale in terms of colour! Maybe I can still find a small piece with similar attributes.
@mellowyellowgirl I tried on a 52.5mm bangle and can fit it through my right hand, though there was some pain. Also here's an example of grey vs light lavender, I just saw your pet peeve post.

Attachments

• 20210716_160309.jpg
    20210716_160309.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lovinggems yes!!!! Huge difference!!!!

Although the grey in that picture is actually more pleasant than some of the shockers I've seen masquerading as blue or lavender. We're talking grim, rain cloud grey being called "blue".

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Although the grey in that picture is actually more pleasant than some of the shockers I've seen masquerading as blue or lavender. We're talking grim, rain cloud grey being called "blue".

That's the 52.5mm from eBay, doesn't look too bad if I wasn't wearing another bangle next to it, just hoping it's not a treated piece.

I think I might get a UV light like @voce and learn how to identify treated jade.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
This is a jade seller, surely they know the certificate is not genuine and the material looks like it was treated.
@Silvermom thank you for your kind words. ☺
@ChaiK after seeing your lavender I don't think I'll ever be happy with bangles currently on sale in terms of colour! Maybe I can still find a small piece with similar attributes.
@mellowyellowgirl I tried on a 52.5mm bangle and can fit it through my right hand, though there was some pain. Also here's an example of grey vs light lavender, I just saw your pet peeve post.

Wow , I know that mellow kept saying that she didn't like grey colored jade but didn't image what she meant. Thank you for this excellent example.

Could you please post more example of the shockers that you have seen. No wonder you prefer color above icy. I agree with you.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you mellow. Can you guess what this is? LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results