shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I bought another pair of buddhas from her. To turn into earrings. They are around 2.5 to 2.7 cm. So I think I won't look ridiculous. I tried to upload video but it wouldn't load. So here is a picture of one of them.

Buddha pendant.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
No, they are pendants. But I bought the pair, to turn into earrings. So cute. At 2.5 to 2.7 cm, I think it is doable and not too huge. Wear all black and look so ommmmm..........

I bought a pair of butterfly wings from her unset. I want to set as earrings too.

And that's it. I have to stop this. Very addictive. I love jadeite. I think I will save up for a really really really huge green cab. These small purchases are cute and sometimes you can really nab a bargain.

But for that huge green green glowing cab, I will save up, head for the factory in Chiang Mai or in China next year. Now it's time to persuade my hubby we should go to Thailand in summer......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it's very tempting! Especially when for a few hundred you can have something ready to wear.

I bought a pair of bow earrings off her and I'm obsessed with them. For the price I have enjoyed them so much.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it's very tempting! Especially when for a few hundred you can have something ready to wear.

I bought a pair of bow earrings off her and I'm obsessed with them. For the price I have enjoyed them so much.
Oh, do feel free to post a picture here. I would love to see it. I have not bought any earrings from her yet. Thank you.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, do feel free to post a picture here. I would love to see it. I have not bought any earrings from her yet. Thank you.

So far I bought these and these:
IMG-20181003-WA0000.jpg

20180520_133551.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics! I am always in the nastiest clothes when I get my kid to take a pic for me! Usually no time for pics when I am dressed to go out!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhh, lovely.....:love::love::love::love::love:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok my sister just bought these today! One pair for me, one for her! The smaller leaves she's giving to me for my Bday. She's the best sister ever!!!!!

43532542_560830111013073_3224297258379902976_n.jpg

Attachments

• 43530792_322383475009225_6769711560576204800_n.jpg
    43530792_322383475009225_6769711560576204800_n.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 88

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love::love::love: Oh, maybe I should buy the earrings......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love::love::love: Oh, maybe I should buy the earrings......

Keep in mind they are smaller than the pics! She's upfront with measurements though, they just look a lot bigger in pics!

I looooooove them though!!!! Especially my bow ones! I get SUCH a kick from them!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding polymer, sometimes this will show with either long or short wave UV as a glow, but not always. In addition, some spots of fluorescence can show in natural jade. If a jade glows uniformly, this may be is an indicator of either dye or polymer, or both.

I read your post in depth and the kid and I decided to play around today with my UV light. Nothing glowed in the jade items I bought but interestingly on one of my donut earrings there was a splotch about the size of a small mole that glowed bright red. I found it fascinating.

But I also shone the light on the kid's fake jade (no idea what it is) and that didn't glow either. I don't think it's treated jade though, just made from something else entirely.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, Bluegemz. If I was spending into the few thousands I would bargain.

It is so hard now to actually determine the price of jadeite. One bangle costs 10,000 usd, yet another similar looking one goes for 5000usd. And it is all online, so it is difficult to tell. The problem is I live in the UK, so jade here can also be priced outrageously in London. On top of that, I cannot even be confident of its grading.
Yes, understanding differences in qualities takes a lot of subtlety. This is where the years of experience to understand jadeite comes into play. It is one of the most complex gems to understand.
I live in America, and have the same problem. Unless I’m out in California, there is little to be seen here in person. And, prices are very expensive in the West. I have made both good and bad purchases ( especially when I first started collecting) , but have learned a lot along the way and still have a long way to go since both knowledge and personal affinity are ever evolving. Ultimately, if the price fits and one loves the piece, that is the best outcome one can hope for. Regardless of what others think of a piece, it is most important that the piece moves you. This is a highly personal thing, as each jade has its own soul. And, we have to make the best choice possible amongst many possible combinations of qualities which best suit us, for the prices we can pay. I have learned with jade, that I’m happier when I take time, e, don’t buy impulsively, and save up for what i really want.
In the beginning, I bought 18 bangles in a few years time, most of them into the thousands. There are only 3-4 that we’re truly personal love/talisman pieces. Many I have given away to friends and family since I bought them impulsively.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very wise gentleman told me a good tale about Jade once:

An apprentice wanted to learn about carving jade with a major Jade Master. The Jade Master took him on but every day all he did was smile at the apprentice, handed him a pice of jade and told him to go sit on the bench and study it. This went on for ages until one day the apprentice asked why the Master never let him do anything but look at a piece of jade every day. Master smiles and says nothing but gives him yet another piece of jade.

One day apprentice comes in, same old song and dance, Master hands him a piece of jade. Apprentice looks at it and says "Master but this is not jade today."

Master smiles as says "My student you are finally ready."

The gentleman told it waaaaay better but that was the gist of it!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read your post in depth and the kid and I decided to play around today with my UV light. Nothing glowed in the jade items I bought but interestingly on one of my donut earrings there was a splotch about the size of a small mole that glowed bright red. I found it fascinating.

But I also shone the light on the kid's fake jade (no idea what it is) and that didn't glow either. I don't think it's treated jade though, just made from something else entirely.
Cool! Some flourescent spots have to do with trace minerals which have seeped in....regarding your son’s piece, you could do a specific gravity test, and that will tell you more. Many jade look alikes will be considerably different in the SG from the jadeite range of SG. A great way to practice gemology skills.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding glowing spots in jadeite, some new treatments to be aware of are:

Spot treating, especially on bangles. They will spot treat cloudy areas with the bleaching and polymer impregnation. Apparently, tt is possible to have a both A grade and B grade bangle in one. I’m not sure how often this is done.

Color polishing. They can technically list these as A grade, but pigment has been rubbed onto the surface and sealed with wax. I’ve heard of this with lower grade, opaque bangles.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, an American seller who frequently sells vintage/antique jadeite is https://www.hawaiijewelrybuyers.com/product-category/jade-jewelry/. Prices seem a bit high, ( often Western sellers sell jadeite for much more than sellers closer to the source in Asia.) negotiation may be in order. You can also try sellers like Ultimate jadeite. Though I’ve never purchased through her, many others have. Let Nadir know what you are looking for and she maybe willing to source it for you. You can also look at :

https://sg.carousell.com/search/products/?query=Lavender jadeite. This is a bunch of individual sellers, so negotiation and testing should be worked out, and always ask for a video and additional pictures. And always work out a refund agreement and a safe way to pay.

Another seller whom I and others here have purchased from is this lady....I purchased a ring from her. Though the GIA report stated that color origin cannot be determined, there was no polymer impregnation... ( as I mentioned, the GIA tester told me that this happens with 10% of the lavender jadeite which they test.) personally, I am confident that she is selling A grade jade. She has a guarantee and return and refund policy, and I was able to pay with PayPal. Perhaps additional testing could be arranged prior to purchase should you purchase from her. I believe she is a seller who works with a jadefactory, and can source items for you. https://jasminejadeite.com/. As with any gem, buyer beware. And, it is important to see and feel jade in order to best decide, though this is not always possible. There are other sellers... and I can keep an eye out if you tell me what you are looking for.
Thank you @Bluegemz

In looking at the photos of grade A lavender cabs, I notice there is usually some color variation across the stone. Is this typical, and would some color variation help me distinguish dyed from not dyed stones?

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok my sister just bought these today! One pair for me, one for her! The smaller leaves she's giving to me for my Bday. She's the best sister ever!!!!!

43532542_560830111013073_3224297258379902976_n.jpg
Hey mellow, there are some very good looking lavender cabs in that tray! :drool:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Bluegemz

In looking at the photos of grade A lavender cabs, I notice there is usually some color variation across the stone. Is this typical, and would some color variation help me distinguish dyed from not dyed stones?
This is extremely common. Let me explain... jadeite is an agglomerate stone, requiring the pressure of plate tectonics, specifically subduction to form. It is made of many, individual crystals pressed together with silica in between them. The size of these crystals has a direct impact on the overall grain of the jadeite. They can range in size from microscopic to clearly eye visible, as described by coarse grain to fine grain. Pure jadeite is clear, but during the process of being pushed up again through the earth’s crust, colorant minerals seep in through stress cracks and stone lines, ( folds in the crystal matrix) often reaching some parts, but not others. This makes for uneven coloration. There is no way to visually tell if a jade has been dyed unless, for example, it’s an outrageous color for an inexpensive priCS, or very obvious dye lines. Microscope would be helpful but only to a point.

Generally, cabs are carved out of either the best parts of the stone, or out of leftovers from carving a bangle or other pieces. So, one can buy really beautiful cabs, ( heart of the boullder) or ones are not the heart, but still lovely. There should be no judgement here, because ultimately it’s about personal aesthetic.

The lady who’s tray was featured in the above pics has two sites. One for less expensive items, and the link which I provided, with more expensive pieces. Best would be to contact her about what you are looking for, as I believe she then contacts the cutting factory for items which match your description. These pieces will not be featured on either site in my experience. If you want a high quality, fine grain, even colored piece, then she will send you updates on the items which best fit this. Even high quality cabs will have variations. It is the valuation of these variables which demands the experience in understanding jadeite.

Think of a gambling slot machine. If you get one or two winning symbols, that is not so rare, but to get three and then 4 becomes each time more exponentially rare and expensive. Prices climb with each quality working together. This is why it’s important to decide which qualities are most important to you, so that you can compromise on other qualities to best for your budget. For example, you may want even color, and translucence most, but maybe willing to compromise on texture, flaws and cabochon size. When all qualities are superb, jadeite becomes one of the rarest and most expensive stones in the world.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some YouTube videos which are informative to gaining greater understanding about jadeite. This guy has a previous video which is even more informative imo...( see the second link)
hhttp://www.no-ads-youtube.com/video...-hq-grand-jade-masters-of-china?v=lK5lcbY6R7I
A jade artist...( see the first link)
ttp://www.no-ads-youtube.com/video/federico-barlocher/the-most-expensive-colored-gem-in-the-world-jade?v=owg1NNezIxo
A look at first class jadeite pieces...just to see what they look like....

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
My usual jade vendor also says anything below 3.33 is probably treated. One other factor to consider is the lab... have heard that the China labs are not so reliable. So even if there is a cert from a Chinese lab, probably still best to send to a trusted lab to verify. Hong Kong lab is good though.

Ok, I have bought the bangles. Long story. I bought the bangles before asking on this website. Then the seller tried to post it but someone here, in the UK postal office stole it:cry: :shock:. The postal office response was so lame. And then they did not even call me back and I had to chase. I asked how to lodge complaint and their customer advisor told me she could not tell me how to lodge a complaint :shock: . After that, I managed to lodge a claim and complaint. That was when they admitted it but told me, well you get your refund. Like it didn't matter to them because their insurance would cover the theft.

So I asked vendor for another pair as replacement. Different colours and different types of course but same value. I could have gotten the refund but I did not. When it comes, I will post. And I will go to GCS Lab in Mayfair to get it tested. If not Grade A or spot treated, I will tell on this website, and I will name the seller so we can all avoid.

Specific gravity is 3.31 and 3.30 respectively. Let's see.

This post is so interesting. I have enjoyed reading it. Maybe the lost bangles were a blessing in disguise. This way, I got to learn a lot @Bluegemz

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK was it a very pricey bangle? Did they mail it by normal post or a courier and it still got stolen????

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
USPS mail. I paid customs and then it got stolen at the post office. Not that pricey. but not in the hundreds.

Let's see how this unfolds.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it goes well for you!!!! I can't wait to see pics!

In the meantime please post other pics! Your rings are gorgeous! That chrysoprase one is after my heart!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I have bought the bangles. Long story. I bought the bangles before asking on this website. Then the seller tried to post it but someone here, in the UK postal office stole it:cry: :shock:. The postal office response was so lame. And then they did not even call me back and I had to chase. I asked how to lodge complaint and their customer advisor told me she could not tell me how to lodge a complaint :shock: . After that, I managed to lodge a claim and complaint. That was when they admitted it but told me, well you get your refund. Like it didn't matter to them because their insurance would cover the theft.

So I asked vendor for another pair as replacement. Different colours and different types of course but same value. I could have gotten the refund but I did not. When it comes, I will post. And I will go to GCS Lab in Mayfair to get it tested. If not Grade A or spot treated, I will tell on this website, and I will name the seller so we can all avoid.

Specific gravity is 3.31 and 3.30 respectively. Let's see.

This post is so interesting. I have enjoyed reading it. Maybe the lost bangles were a blessing in disguise. This way, I got to learn a lot @Bluegemz
I’m so sorry that this happened. It’s best to believe that it was a blessing in disquise, otherwise one can be consumed with anger at such events. :angryfire:
I believe that jade finds its way, so maybe let a feeling of karma give you faith. I hope the replacement bangle turns out to be what you hope it will. Its good that you will have it tested. We need to vet out sellers by having some things tested. No way around it.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I am the rightful owner. The jade has gone unwillingly to a thief.

That type of karma will follow the thief.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the rightful owner. The jade has gone unwillingly to a thief.

That type of karma will follow the thief.
Exactly.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm shocked that the theft can occur at the postal office and there's no way to track it!

I'm heading to the UK next week, sending good jadeite karma your way!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm shocked that the theft can occur at the postal office and there's no way to track it!

I'm heading to the UK next week, sending good jadeite karma your way!

Thank you.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some YouTube videos which are informative to gaining greater understanding about jadeite. This guy has a previous video which is even more informative imo...( see the second link)
hhttp://www.no-ads-youtube.com/video...-hq-grand-jade-masters-of-china?v=lK5lcbY6R7I
A jade artist...( see the first link)
ttp://www.no-ads-youtube.com/video/federico-barlocher/the-most-expensive-colored-gem-in-the-world-jade?v=owg1NNezIxo
A look at first class jadeite pieces...just to see what they look like....

Here’s another video which is interesting;
Wow @Bluegemz it's going to take awhile for me to absorb all this terrific info!

It looks like jade is one of the most complex of gemstones to fully understand. I'm hoping I might be able to find a reputable dealer in LA so we can go see and feel the stones in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results