shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chaik, those are wonderful photos. I understand high translucence is good, so would you consider the very icy, or glassy necklace I posted to be of high quality, and worth pursuing?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream landscape is of this color and texture but a 13mm cab is already at 6 digits. And if the dragon pendant on pale color is USD41K......

2456676E-D83A-43B7-9C4D-F3D933F6D538.jpeg

Haha I love this colour but I just scroll past it knowing there is no way I can afford it.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chaik, those are wonderful photos. I understand high translucence is good, so would you consider the very icy, or glassy necklace I posted to be of high quality, and worth pursuing?

I don’t know price and size of cabs.

You can see from the one I posted that glassy, cabs around 7 mm and the earrings around 11 mm for the cabs alone, Price is 23 000 rmb.

Last edited:
Reactions: prs

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would say highly icy but pass on them. They have too much crystal bodies within and look cloudy rather than round, luscious and glowy.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would say highly icy but pass on them. They have too much crystal bodies within and look cloudy rather than round, luscious and glowy.
Thanks Burmesedaze, DW wasn't that keen on them either. It seems that good deals on high quality jade are few and far between in the US market! :(

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ladies, a little help please. I came across this necklace over the weekend, it is GIA certified A grade. The cabochons are so translucent it looks like they have huge windows, for other gems this would be very bad, but I'm thinking that for jade it's very good. Am I right? Also would these cabs be described as icy, or glassy, or watery? :))

Icy Jade Necklace.jpg

Would have been glassy but too much “cotton”. There is a very fine quality of icy jade (not glassy) that fetches price....the ones that looks like it has adularescence sort of like a moonstone but the texture looks very compact.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Not all Muna Jadeite are equal. This one is icy but somehow lacks that fine quality and clarity which is usual in Muna jadeite. Or maybe I am being picky.

Muna dragon.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would have been glassy but too much “cotton”. There is a very fine quality of icy jade (not glassy) that fetches price....the ones that looks like it has adularescence sort of like a moonstone but the texture looks very compact.
After following all 56 pages of this thread I thought I'd become a jade expert....how wrong I was!!! :mrgreen2: My first thought was that jadeite is just too complicated for mere mortals like me to figure out. :eek2: However, as I think more, maybe it's not that difficult. I know translucence is most important, but what I forgot in the case of this necklace, is that translucence can't substitute for poor color, and that necklace had little or no color!

Now I know that icy (white with translucence) is better than glassy (translucence with no white) =)2. That does make sense because icy pieces visually look a whole lot better than glassy pieces. Maybe the golden rule for all jadeite is to make sure you don't let your interpretation of the rules overcome your eyes, and what looks good. Also just like all other gems, until you've seen examples of the best, you don't really know what "best" looks like, and can't properly determine value.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I like glassy. With that weird moonstone effect.

But today, I bought an icy pair. No idea what it would look like. Thought I would try. It had a strange green pale pale green sheen to it, despite it being icy. Could be the photos making the pair look good.

Also, I learnt today there is high icy imperial green, and just plain imperial green.

I also like mottled green types for bangles and pendants, despite everyone wanting imperial green.

And I actually am curious about that blue green pendant I posted previously that looks like mould, so I am probably going to buy it. Just to see what it is really like. I feel another spinach-bangle lesson coming on......but I would take that risk. It's just me.

I think, if you see jadeite, and it speaks to you, you buy it.

Of course after a while, it may stop speaking to you.....:confused2:. Like all objects you once adored.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No. Glassy with proportions and colourless base yet has good lighting effect is real glassy. It will cost more than a good icy. The particles that cloud will detract and reduce the price. Whether or not there are windows do not apply to cabs. Cabs will cost more than carvings too esp larger cabs and proportions/dome. Real glassy is what the mine owners and traders tell you you can't find/see it if you drop into a bowl of water.

Imperial green whether icy or not is about colour. Then if you have good icy imperial green with fine grain, water and proportions will up the price.

In fact icy/glassy only became popular recently thanks to younger buyers. Pole position and resale value still green. Lavender also fairly recent though not as recent as glassy/icy. Which is why a lot of the so called heirloom pieces, B jade C jade sold as A and mountain jade acquired by unwitting then-internetless folks like my granny are all about colour first. Not water not icy not grain. In fact if you view many of these old pieces of yesterday acquired by average consumer with the eyes and knowledge of today, the majority will not pass muster.

The above on price also depends on how much they paid for the rough and whether money can be made from the things carved from rough or if they could extract much from rough and it only hinges on 1 item. Too many variants. Carvings are done instead of cabs if there are workarounds required.

Pretty much like gem rough and what determines shape vs how much can be cut or impurities left.

Then you have all the 3 coloured jadeite or floating greens that are considered lucky. But appreciation of price depends on the colour makeup and pattern captured. The 56 pages don't even touch on this.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also think users need to go out of PS to acquire knowledge and info. Not referring to jadeite, but most are buyers rather than experts. Most of the info and advice rendered is in good faith based on what one knows but not applicable sometimes to actual appraisal and demand in market. A tad like the recommended vendors list that can be raved about but no guarantee on fair price and service. Then one gets conditioned that these are normal prices and that they constitute the norm.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like glassy. With that weird moonstone effect.

But today, I bought an icy pair. No idea what it would look like. Thought I would try. It had a strange green pale pale green sheen to it, despite it being icy. Could be the photos making the pair look good.

Also, I learnt today there is high icy imperial green, and just plain imperial green.

I also like mottled green types for bangles and pendants, despite everyone wanting imperial green.

And I actually am curious about that blue green pendant I posted previously that looks like mould, so I am probably going to buy it. Just to see what it is really like. I feel another spinach-bangle lesson coming on......but I would take that risk. It's just me.

I think, if you see jadeite, and it speaks to you, you buy it.

Of course after a while, it may stop speaking to you.....:confused2:. Like all objects you once adored.

So long as it has a return policy. For pricier stuff you acquire you may wish to get them to add on HK lab memo. In case you ever resell. Also for peace of mind.

It's ok. I love translucency over colour much to the disgust of my jewellers. They also keep telling me to buy coloyr colour or bigger then I reply Myanmar don't have. This is already very good and within budget.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all Muna Jadeite are equal. This one is icy but somehow lacks that fine quality and clarity which is usual in Muna jadeite. Or maybe I am being picky.

Muna dragon.jpg

Side/edge material. They use 边料 and 正料 to describe on LS. But these terms don't come up in regular listings :)

Or 货头 货尾

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK shall I wear the fish for new year for fortune?

I'm going hit the cheapie earrings again when I'm off my ban. They are such a hit with children. I've got kids swarming my ears on playdates asking questions and touching. Makes me feel it's worth it more than a cab (Just from an entertainment perspective) which they don't care about. Weird shapes here I come!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @suzanne2 here's another dragon for your viewing pleasure. :)) The carving looks very fine, but not sure about the color. On the pricey side too, I suspect. WWW

Screenshot (93).png

Attachments

• Dragon.jpg
    Dragon.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After following all 56 pages of this thread I thought I'd become a jade expert....how wrong I was!!! :mrgreen2: My first thought was that jadeite is just too complicated for mere mortals like me to figure out. :eek2: However, as I think more, maybe it's not that difficult. I know translucence is most important, but what I forgot in the case of this necklace, is that translucence can't substitute for poor color, and that necklace had little or no color!

Now I know that icy (white with translucence) is better than glassy (translucence with no white) =)2. That does make sense because icy pieces visually look a whole lot better than glassy pieces. Maybe the golden rule for all jadeite is to make sure you don't let your interpretation of the rules overcome your eyes, and what looks good. Also just like all other gems, until you've seen examples of the best, you don't really know what "best" looks like, and can't properly determine value.

I also prefer a nice glassy. Your example is just not it because there’s “cotton” or too much mottling.

I like glassy clean. I also like the whites without secondary color unless the secondary color is very pleasant. There is a light bluish green color that is fluorescent and very pleasing in glassy. I like those as well.

A nice, clean icy will fetch higher price than a mottled glassy. A clean glassy costs more.

Here are examples of pieces with the “moonstone” effect and clean glassies.

Icy but with “moonstone” effect.
E58B8071-D76D-4BE8-B803-58866B70D08D.jpeg

This is glassy with “ moonstone” effect.
FBD0E71E-F81D-4BA3-BD8D-A3018492A70B.jpeg

Clean glassies.
F755FA8E-D360-4887-BE9F-01582F05DA8B.jpeg F15E84CC-882F-4CE6-8D9F-B0BE5013FDAC.jpeg

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
They took Paypal from me. I just paid. :appl:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
This one and the fish pair above. And the other two pendants earlier (yet to receive because setting the icy white pendant).

Fish pair is cheap. 1180 rmb. Then I set with diamonds (5000 rmb). I think still worth it.
Plus she says fish pair has the icy glassy effect (whatever that means).

Screenshot_20190114-093148_WeChat.jpg

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, stop now. Anyway, she has two weeks holiday coming up. So we cannot buy even if we want to.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh I am excited to see how you set those fishies @ChaiK

Is the the Lunar New Year holiday in Feb?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
oooh I am excited to see how you set those fishies @ChaiK

Is the the Lunar New Year holiday in Feb?

I set just halo of 1.8mm diamonds on the cabs and on the fish. That's it. Rose gold.

You wear your fish. See, mine also cheap. And all so fun. Who cares if cheap? We love!!!!!

I don't know. She said closing down for hols soon, so the fish, have to wait until after new year. I said ok.

And you know you are spending too much when they create a group called Your Jade World on WeChat, where you communicate with all 10 of them.....:eek-2: So I think I stop for a moment. :eek-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set just halo of 1.8mm diamonds on the cabs and on the fish. That's it. Rose gold.

You wear your fish. See, mine also cheap. And all so fun. Who cares if cheap? We love!!!!!

I don't know. She said closing down for hols soon, so the fish, have to wait until after new year. I said ok.

And you know you are spending too much when they create a group called Your Jade World on WeChat, where you communicate with all 10 of them.....:eek-2: So I think I stop for a moment. :eek-2:

Sounds gorgeous! I love rose gold! Can't wait to see them!

Haha that's the VIP treatment :kiss2:

You go girl! Apparently the earth's magnetic poles are changing at alarming speeds and we could all be wiped out of they change at a faster speed. So I say enjoy your jade!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
She on LS now.:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I just bought a purple Kirin pendant 3200 rmb. Huge one - 50 mm. Don't know where to put but ok.; maybe on forehead...let's see. Colour nice. Crap video but purple was nice. Pics later. I working now. I really have to stop.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She on LS now.:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I just bought a purple Kirin pendant 3200 rmb. Huge one - 50 mm. Don't know where to put but ok.; maybe on forehead...let's see. Colour nice. Crap video but purple was nice. Pics later. I working now. I really have to stop.

Haha. I just tuned in 15m ago.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sweater pendant!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
New stuff done setting. Sad that they have to go in next shipment which will be mid Feb since I won't be around till then.
20190117_005313.jpg 20190117_005149.jpg 20190117_005113.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results